Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Gripweed posted:

Oh god, that reminds me of another good contender; the Oldboy remake.

why did spike lee make this film. it's real obvious he didn't give a single poo poo about this story. kind of seemed like he may have even actively hated it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the camaraderie of the dwarves and their boisterous but lovable behavior was like, the best part about the book. you got to know and care about all of them.

outside of a few gimmick video game cutscenes, a forced tragic love triangle, and a quick "hey remember gimli" scene, the dwarves in this movie receive almost no characterization. Three movies and things move so quickly that we don't have time to get to know any of them.

thorin's turn and redemption happen like two or three times as well, and they all feel unearned.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Blood Boils posted:

You're gonna be disappointed if you ever give the book a reread, only like 4 of them have any personality or distinguishing traits or individual lines of dialogue.

I'm going to stand by my 11-year-old self's assessment of the characterization of the dwarves and reassert that the movies' portrayal of them did not measure up :colbert: