Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

sponges posted:

I guess it’s no Power Rangers

Ugh, that movie pissed me off so much. The cast was great, but the story and soundtrack was poo poo. All I wanted to do was see teenagers with attitude kick evil alien rear end, and they turned it into a commercial for Krispy Kreme.

(Although, I did enjoy seeing Rita Repulsa chill in the Krispy Kreme as Goldar coagulated into being)

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Meg. That movie is absolutely terrible, and sucks China's dick so hard that it made me gag as I watched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The only good thing about Pacific Rim is Ron Perlman, but Ron is good in everything he does. Don't @ me.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

axelblaze posted:

Charlie Day is also pretty good in it

Everything else sucks tho

I'll give you him and the other mad scientist, but yeah. The rest of that movie was dumb as hell, and I say this as a del Toro fan.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

All the Disney Star Wars movies. I never thought I'd lose interest in Star Wars, especially if that interest survived The Clone Wars cgi movie featuring Truman Capote the Hutt. However, they got me to emotionally divest from the franchise. Well played, Disney. Well played.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Was it, though? It failed to establish anything about the post-ROTJ state of the galaxy, and provided names and props without any exposition. Disney's response was to point people toward the new in-canon books, comics, video games, and other media to fill in the blanks. :shrug:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

I can definitely relate to that, I liked Rogue One enough, but the rest of them have just made me not want to watch another Star Wars until somehow Disney releases a UHD version of the Original Trilogy from before 1996, so pretty much never again.

It's frustrating because JJ Abrams and Kurtzman did the same thing to me with Star Trek. The special effects are pretty, the actors are great, but the stories are lazily written rehashes of prior movies. Discovery sounds like a grimdark mess outside of Captain Pike & Co., and Star Trek Picard is best summed up with the following comparison:

At least I can still go back and watch the older shows. :smith:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

babypolis posted:

how about the part at the very beginning of the film where the lovable han solo style rogue murders a crippled fellow rebel because he might have inconvenienced him and then it never gets brought up again. what a horrible mess of a movie that was

It's Whataboutism: The Movie. Oh, you think the Imperials are bad for building a superweapon and blowing up Jedha ? What about the atrocities committed by the Rebels fighting to "restore" the Republic when they attack are troops?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

babypolis posted:

i think it was trying to establish that this aint your grandmas star wars!!!! and then they completely forgot about it

They forgot the most important rule of Star Wars: Do or do not, there is no try.

Important rule of Disney Star Wars: Let the Wookie be apolitical (lol)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sleeveless posted:

Jesus christ you're still bitching about Star Wars and Marvel movies.

Of all the planets in the galaxy, you chose to be Crait

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

McCloud posted:

Well that's only fitting considering this is the worst movie of the decade thread

:emptyquote:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

MinisterSinister posted:

It's not explicit racism by any means, but there has always been a lot of implicit racism throughout Eastwood's career. Dirty Harry basically jumpstarted the not-so-subtley racist trend of late 70s and early 80s "tough on crime" action flicks where a bitter old white dude solves America's crime problems (which are always due to minorities, who commit random and abhorrent acts of violence not because of poverty or social motivations, but because they are just cruel by nature) by blasting away thugs with a gun. It is the same kind of subtle racism that the NRA peddles to sell guns to morons by making them fearful of random break-ins and attacks by evil minorities (I worked at a gun store for 3 years and I can tell you, most of the people buying for "self defense" had delusional fantasies of this kind of thing happening). One can do a pretty thorough breakdown of how Eastwood's film represent the worst thoughts and impulses of a culture of toxic masculinity and racism among older white men in America.

I hope I'm not derailing this thread by getting too political...

I think it's fair criticism. Gran Torino is all about a crotchety white guy saving minorities from gangs. It's as if Clint watched King of the Hill and thought Cotton Hill was the hero of the show.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I wasn't a fan of Tauriel, but her inclusion wasn't nearly as terrible as shoe-horning Saruman, Galadriel, and Legolas into the movies. The trilogy's greatest sins were 1) being a trilogy, and 2) eschewing the overall goofiness of The Hobbit in order to become a bad rip-off of Lord of the Rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The barrel riding scene was like 25 minutes and it looked like poo poo. The first movie was somehow probably the best of the three.

That's because the first one had the trolls and goblins, and Gandalf punking a very surprised Goblin King was hilarious