Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinisterSinister
Dec 17, 2019
The worst film I have seen in this decade was easily Paul Blart Mall Cop 2.

I originally watched it as an "ironic" experiment and ended up so thoroughly bored and drained that I can't think of another movie quite like it. I think about other bad movies I saw, such as Elysium, a movie so hamfisted and dumb that I walked out on it before it finished (something I almost never do). Yet I look more fondly on Elysium than Kevin James' cinematic bowel movement because, although I finished the latter, it did not elicit any kind of emotional response in me whatsoever. Elysium at least made me feel anger and eye rolling disgust at how simplistic its narrative was. PBMC2 was a vacuum suck of an hour and a half of my life. That time simply disappeared into the void.

Certainly there are worse movies on a technical or moral level, but out of everything I've seen this decade, Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 takes the prize as most useless. It isn't even fun to watch ironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinisterSinister
Dec 17, 2019

Gatts posted:

There's a running theme of old white man caught up in foreigners and people of color gangbanging on his front lawn or old white man caught in drug work for Mexican cartels or white soldier man going to fight war to snipe people in a different country and then there's the weirdness with Richard Jewell where he has a female reporter sleep with someone for confidential info that never happened and yet try to promote it as if it is "the world will know the real story"

Maybe you're right it's ungenerous. Maybe I am missing a point and he's trying to use the stereotype of the white man caught up in foreigner stuff to subvert and show they're not any better. I think he's found his target audience of older white generation his age.

It's not explicit racism by any means, but there has always been a lot of implicit racism throughout Eastwood's career. Dirty Harry basically jumpstarted the not-so-subtley racist trend of late 70s and early 80s "tough on crime" action flicks where a bitter old white dude solves America's crime problems (which are always due to minorities, who commit random and abhorrent acts of violence not because of poverty or social motivations, but because they are just cruel by nature) by blasting away thugs with a gun. It is the same kind of subtle racism that the NRA peddles to sell guns to morons by making them fearful of random break-ins and attacks by evil minorities (I worked at a gun store for 3 years and I can tell you, most of the people buying for "self defense" had delusional fantasies of this kind of thing happening). One can do a pretty thorough breakdown of how Eastwood's film represent the worst thoughts and impulses of a culture of toxic masculinity and racism among older white men in America.

I hope I'm not derailing this thread by getting too political...