Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

General Dog posted:

It also has that weird (I think dialogue-free) Taylor Swift cameo

Yeah, much like the rest of the movie, I had forgotten all about that.

My only other knowledge of the Giver comes from the smash hit Weezer song My Name is Jonas, because I was one of the outliers that didn't have to read the Giver in middle school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I didn't even remember that there was another adaptation of Les Misérables.

I know there was one in the 90's, because when I worked in a movie theater I got so many people thinking they were clever by pronouncing it "less miserables"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pacific Rim is monsters and robots punching each other, it's not high cinema, but it doesn't deserve to be near the worst of the decade.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

It's split up into three parts across the extended editions. Might be able to rent, though I've seen them in a lot of thrift/used media stores.

There's an extended edition of the Hobbit? gently caress why would anyone subject themselves to that?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm having a tough time trying to come up with worst movies of the 2010s because there's a ton of movies I saw this decade that I liked in theater but after the experience wore off, I became lukewarm. I think the biggest problem with the current system isn't making duds, it's overwhelming mediocrity.

:same:

Hell, there are several movies that I remember not regretting an afternoon watching in the theater, but have no desire to ever revisit it. I feel like the overwhelming mediocrity is why I have such a lukewarm outlook on film these days.

EDIT:
I mean I saw the original Avengers in the theater, and in hindsight it definitely wasn't good, but on the otherhand I was unemployed and it was a fun enough afternoon, that ended with me getting shitfaced and making out with a rando at the bar that evening. I have not ever really had the desire to watch it again either.

Jurassic World is another one where I didn't have a bad time watching it in the theater, but I also don't really want to see it ever again either.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 30, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tart Kitty posted:

Yeah even if it's been meme'd out as gently caress, I can't really be mad at Birdemic. It's a labor of love. That love is blind and running into walls, but love nonetheless.

I never got around to Birdemic, but yeah, I never thought of it as bad on purpose. On the other-hand you had both Birdemic and The Room inspiring the bad on purpose genre.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

• Similarly, I was looking forward to Poltergeist and even while watching it I thought some parts of its approach had potential - but there just wasn't enough. The movie overall was pretty short and felt like it was in a hurry to hit this-and-that-and-that-over-there plot point and get it over with. Case in point: in the climax of the original dozens of rotting skeletons come bursting out from the ground in spectacular fashion. The climax for the 2015 Poltergeist features a rotting skeleton bursting up from the ground - that's right, "a". As in a single measly rotting corpse. Who the gently caress reboots a 30-year old summer blockbuster with the intention of making it more modest and providing less content overall? It's like if they came out with "New! Lucky Charms: Now with 30% less marshmallows for the same price!"

I've told this story before, but a couple of Halloweens ago I was at Walmart and siting there on the shelf for $7 was Poltergeist on Blu Ray. I"m thinking "gently caress yeah! I haven't seen Poltergeist in years!" and just snap that bitch up.

Come a few days later, I pop it into the old player and I'm greeted with a poo poo rear end menu with a background of PS2 looking zombies scrolling past. Whatever, I've seen poo poo menus before, and hit play. The PS2 zombies zoom out to reveal a kid playing some game on his tablet.

"WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo?!"

I had either forgotten that there was a remake or had never known of it's existence before that moment. I watched the whole thing, and it made me angry how bad it is. It is so loving bad, it's not even worth watching to see how bad it is.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

General Dog posted:

If I take my lowest rated of the decade and take out the comedies (highly subjective) and the DTV dreck (feels like cheating) I end up with (in chronological order):

I'm kinda curious what your top 10 in both the comedy and DTV categories are.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alhazred posted:

The Planet of the Apes movies.

:hmmyes:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hand Knit posted:

Wasn't there that Dracula origin story that was supposed to kick start a cinematic universe? And it sucked so they tried again with the Tom Cruise Mummy.

Yes, and there was a Frankenstein one too

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Waffleman_ posted:

For some reason, they really thought Mortdecai would blow up. That, or they overestimated how much people would want to see Johnny Depp being quirky in 2015.

I just like how they had apparently expected it to have 8 sequels because...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Waffleman_ posted:

They were planning 5 sequels to Power Rangers before the franchise got sold to Hasbro and they decided to reboot.

On the other hand Power Rangers was an established franchise, Mortdecai was not.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gripweed posted:

One of the truly baffling things about the movie was how many jokes it tried to wring out of the premise that Mortdecai's mustache was disgusting. Like, the movie acts like the mustache is genuinely instinctively repulsive. Paltrow's character starts dry heaving when she gets close to it. And if you've seen the posters, you'll know that's not a reasonable reaction to that msutache. So maybe she thought they were going to change it in post production, add CGI stink lines or something.

Hell, from the poster, that mustache looked really loving good on Ewan McGregor.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I shed a tear every time I watch Chappie

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, is Jupiter Acending the sequel to The Bees?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I really only remember a couple scenes from American Sniper, and one of them was when he was about to shoot the Iraqi Sniper, there's a scene where the Iraqi Sniper kisses his family bye as he walks out the door.

It's a weird little scene that always stuck out to me because it's almost there to humanize the other side and then it's never picked back up, like it was cribbed from a better movie, and forgotten about during the rest of the process.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bogus Adventure posted:

All the Disney Star Wars movies. I never thought I'd lose interest in Star Wars, especially if that interest survived The Clone Wars cgi movie featuring Truman Capote the Hutt. However, they got me to emotionally divest from the franchise. Well played, Disney. Well played.

I can definitely relate to that, I liked Rogue One enough, but the rest of them have just made me not want to watch another Star Wars until somehow Disney releases a UHD version of the Original Trilogy from before 1996, so pretty much never again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sleeveless posted:

Jesus christ you're still bitching about Star Wars and Marvel movies.

I see you're still making terrible posts

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

McCloud posted:

You know, I'm surprised no one's mentioned that MIB movie that came out this year Wasn't that areal clunker too?

It would require someone to actually watch it to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rick posted:

Yeah now that you mention it I don't think I've disliked anything more than the Hobbit films.

I disliked the first one so much I never bothered with the other two.