Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

My list of movies released in the past decade that I feel can safely be added to any worst movies of all time list:

The Last Airbender - All the movies on my list are baffling in some way or another, but M. Night Shyamalan's effort here may take the cake on having the strangest decisions. I'm not convinced that anyone ever screened this movie before releasing it into theaters. A young, inexperienced cast has to do pretty much all of the heavy lifting to move the plot along, and surprise, they cant. The visuals are farcical. You can't make a spoof of this movie because it's already a parody of itself.

A Nightmare on Elm Street - I feel like it might be a little unfair of me to include this movie because I didn't watch all of it. I came away from the first 30 minutes of the movie angry that the movie had wasted my time to that point. After fast-forwarding hoping to at least find some interesting kills, and not even finding that, I gave up. I think there is little chance that I had watched the whole thing that this remake wouldn't make my list on merit.

Geostorm - Roland Emmerich's long-time penman Dean Devlin finally got the nod to sit in the director's chair himself, and the result is a lovely knock-off of a Roland Emmerich disaster movie. Do you remember people running from the cold in The Day After Tomorrow? Well that makes a return here. The sad thing is, as near as I can tell Devlin had no role in the production of that movie, so he can't even claim it's some kind of trademark of his, like John Woo and his doves. Nah it's just a lovely, stupid scene ripped off from a lovely, stupid scene in another lovely, stupid movie.

The Wandering Earth - Proving that Hollywood doesn't have a monopoly on the terrible Roland Emmerich-esque movie market, China enters with this strong entry.I will say that the movie is pretty strangely compelling for the first 2/3. The tone is so dour and nihilistic, and all the characters actions were so unimportant that I was almost fooled into thinking that it might actually be a good movie. A strange movie for sure, but maybe it was presenting an interesting alternate viewpoint. The last act though quickly showed me the errors of my ways by devolving into the nonsensical and trite garbage that you would expect out of a generic disaster movie.

Serenity - I think the best way to describe this one is that it is a video game movie made by someone who doesn't play or understand video games. The plot isn't terribly difficult to understand, but the entire movie is nonetheless bewildering and unexplainable.

Special honorable mentions go to Ben-Hur and Pompeii . I remember both of these movies being terrible, but neither one was bad enough that I can remember enough specific things to include them in my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember a lot of the themes of Pacific Rim being overtly Christian end times. It's ultimately a happy ending but you have to go through the apocalypse to get there.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Selachian posted:

As a parent, I would like to note that Norm of the North is easily the worst movie I have ever paid money to see in a theater.

Wow, I forgot about Norm of the North. That's a film where I actually felt my brain check out for self-preservation while I was watching it. I distinctly remember that it's terrible, but don't remember almost anything else about it. Even reading a plot synopsis is unfamiliar.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think the thing about Serenity that gets me the most is that mixing a noir murder plot with a big fish story is a pretty good setup to a story, and I really want to see that movie.

You put the antagonist and protagonist on a boat and in the final act you don't know if they are going to work together to catch the fish or try to kill each other.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

As I get older I find I have less and less patience for padding in films, and the Hobbit movies are some of the most shamelessly padded movies that you will see.