Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

I don't really do best and worst lists because I don't like ranking things, but I am going to go ahead and copy-paste something I wrote about the movie that absolutely pissed me off the most this decade.

Even with this writeup, I don't get why you're so mad at The Disaster Artist. Tommy Wiseau is a weird dick in real life, the movie makes him a weird dick in the movie, but is essentially about two dudes with a dream to make it big, failing spectacularly but making lemonade out of lemons, which is basically what happened.

If you look at Best Friends, written by Sestero, you can see a movie that deconstructs Tommy's toxicity and how he uses people, if that's more of what you want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Early on in Rogue One, the lady says that she doesn't trust people. Towards the end, she says the other characters are her family. That's it, those two lines of dialogue are everything the movie does to give the characters arcs.

Also, if you think about it's role in the series Rogue One is stunning stupid. In the first Star Wars, the rebels got the plans and went over them to find a weakness of any kind. and the only they could find was the exhaust port. If you recall, the exhaust port plan is to fly straight at the Death Star, through all the Tie Fighters and anti-air fire. Then fly along the trench for a long time, where the Rebellion fighters are basically sitting ducks for the pursing Tie Fighters. Then shoot a torpedo into the exhaust port, a shot so difficult experienced pilots flat out said it was impossible. If they missed, they had to loop back around and do another run.

In the end, the only reason it worked was a random space ship they weren't expecting showed up at the last second to shoo away the Tie Fighters so literally their last pilot had plenty of time to prep for taking the shot, and also oh yeah it turned out that pilot was a secret wizard. The entire plan would not have worked if not for the fact that unbeknownst to them all, one of their pilots had magical powers.

And then Rogue One says that that was the plan all along. The exhaust port was an intentionally included flaw that Mads Mikkelson designed. He designed a flaw that required literal magic to take advantage of.

Nah, he put in the reactor weakness.

The exhaust port bombing was just a last ditch effort because the Rebel base was discovered and about to be blown up. The idea was that you could sneak on the Death Star and blow it up with a plan with more time.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

What’s everybody’s most disappointing movie of the decade? It doesn’t even have to necessarily be a bad movie, but what fell shortest in relation to your expectations (based on director, source material, premise, or whatever)

For me it’s got to be Incredibles 2. The first is one of my all time favorites, and I guess I bought into Bird’s longtime line that he wasn’t going to revisit the Incredibles until he had a great idea. What we got was breezy fun and had some really good set pieces, but a half-cooked story that didn’t really have anything new to say and failed to push the characters forward from their starting point in any way.

It could be the focus of the film. I find that the 2nd one seems to be really appreciated by people that have had families for a while. I don't have a family, so I found myself not caring much about the general focus of the movie.