Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

One from this year that I ended up strongly disliking was The Beach Bum. I saw Matthew McConaughey and Snoop Dogg promoting it on Jimmy Kimmel… evidently, they smoked such strong weed on set that they woke up the next morning and had accidentally recorded a hip-hop album together. With promotion like that, I figured, why the hell not! Could be the next Big Lebowski!

McConaughey plays Moondog, a perpetually-inebriated beach “poet” in an open marriage in South Florida, whose itinerant lifestyle is supported by his wife’s wealth. Snoop Dogg is his bestest best buddy who also happens to be sleeping with his wife. He pretty much plays Snoop Dogg, albeit under the hilarious pimp moniker Lingerie. The twist that drives the story is that Moondog’s wife dies suddenly, and her will states he must finally complete his latest book of poetry in order to receive an inheritance and be able to continue Moondogging. But I ended up feeling that it was pretty incoherent. I was never quite sure… am I supposed to laugh at this guy? Laugh with him? Pity him? Look up to him, because he’s living so wild and free?

At times, it didn’t feel like the cinematography was helping much either. There were shots that panned back and forth between Moondog and his wife and daughter in a “he-said, she-said” fashion that felt like a parody of a reality show. That’s certainly a valid sort of parody to attempt, given how reality TV loomed over the culture this decade, but I had a hard time grasping what sort of statement was being made, since I couldn’t detect a coherent emotional tone. I don’t know, maybe I’m just not cut out for Harmony Korine movies. I’d certainly be happy for anyone to respond with a different take. But I really do feel this movie would have been completely unwatchable without someone as talented and well-established as McConaughey.

Contrast this with Inherent Vice, which I enjoyed immensely, and have also seen on a few best-of-decade lists (although certainly not universally). I may be giving it a shallow reading, but it consistently felt like a window into what happens to be just one more absurd episode in the absurd life of Joaquin Phoenix’s Doc Sportello. It wasn’t making any weighty statement about the nature of the world or how one should live life, or spending much time navel-gazing, but it was a good fun romp throughout. It would be kind of silly to try to make a Big Lebowski sequel (although I guess Jesus the Pederast Goes to Summer Camp is going to be a thing), but making something similar as a period piece worked out pretty well.

An earlier poster mentioned not enjoying Get Him to the Greek, and also that taste in comedy is pretty subjective. I actually enjoyed that one quite a bit as well; Russell Brand was pretty good playing the straight man to Jonah Hill’s character entering the strange world of the rockstar. It was also one of the few “laugh-at-the-awkward-fat-guy” comedies of the past decade-plus that I have actually laughed at. But it illustrates the point that there’s a very fine line to walk with this sort of bacchanal comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Franchescanado posted:

This is my favorite movie of the year, so I'll elaborate on a few points.

First, Moondog's relationship with his wife isn't open. Moondog selfishly fucks anything and everything he wants, but it's brought up by his wife and daughter that he doesn't know about her and Lingerie, and it's preferred to keep it that way. He selfishly wants to remain loyal to him while he gets to be wild and free. Moondog is a narcissistic, and selfish, which is why seeing his wife with Lingerie is such a huge blow to his ego, and what leads to her death.

We are not supposed to pity Moondog. He is so numbed by self-indulgence, wealth and celebrity that he is no longer human. Everyone refers to him as an Other. He gets away with everything, or is rewarded for being the worst person imaginable. He is not necessarily a good poet, but he is a popular poet. He is creatively bankrupt, and only returns to writing because it is the only way to get access to his wealth, and to perpetuate this weird idea of Moondog as a person.

2019 was a year in film where class and wealth disparity were explored. Instead of showing class warfare (like Ready Or Not, Parasite, The Lighthouse, Us), instead we get to see the results of wealth with Moondog. He pretends to live among the common people, not because he finds solidarity with them, but because he is allowed to do anything he wants. Obese man playing a tuba? Knock his rear end in the water, Moondog. No one's gonna say anything about it, in fact, people may laugh with you! Have another beer on the house. His celebrity absolves him of his crimes. His wealth perpetuates his lovely actions without consequence.

Structurally, the film is a picaresque story, with Moondog as the central rogue character, bumbling through various situations. He meets a Nu-Metal fan who believes he can be the worst person imagineable, because Jesus already died for his sins, bro! He meets an entrepreneur who preys off of tourist culture. His best friend is a major drug dealer, and he gets involved in trafficking because it promises free weed. He doesn't learn a drat thing from any of it. Why should he? He's Moondog. He's already rich and famous. There is no room is his drunk and stoned head for life lessons. He is incapable of growing, and the structure reflects that, as does the genre of "stoner comedy".

As for the dialogue coverage, it's pretty unique. It can be distracting, but our perspective is with the stoned Moondog. It also creates an interesting tapestry with the many different takes. Harmony Korine doesn't do much improv in his films; all the dialogue is scripted, but he allows a lot of freedom in their delivery, and how the shots are executed. I thought it was pretty awesome, but that's to taste.

Like all Harmony Korine films, it's very polarizing. The dude doesn't care about broad appeal. This is as straightforward as he's gonna get.

Thanks for this; I'll keep these points in mind when I get around to re-watching it. Upon reflection, it does make more sense as a criticism or takedown of the stoner-comedy genre, rather than an attempt at a straightforward addition. That's what I and my friend who I watched it with went in expecting, and I guess we weren't ready to have our expectations subverted. I suppose the celebrity culture/reality-TV criticism is the throughline to focus on. Which of Korine's other films can you recommend, if I want to break into his back catalog? I missed Spring Breakers, partly because James Franco usually makes me :barf: