Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I just want to throw in a (dis)honorable mention of 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi. It was openly marketed to right-wing creeps by Paramount, who were hoping to get more of that sweet American Sniper money, but the actual movie is mostly notable for being the most boring Black Hawk Down retread you can possibly imagine. Other than some halfhearted :911: ARE TROOPS :911: patriotism it doesn't really engage with the stupid conspiracy theories about the 2012 Benghazi attacks, which is almost disappointing because what we're left with is just unbelievably dull. Seriously, I cannot emphasize enough how completely uninteresting this thing is in spite of being a war movie made by Michael Bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Prometheus looks loving fantastic to the point where IDGAF about any of its supposed flaws. Just look at that loving movie!

Pacific Rim comes across as a lesson to 12 year old boys on how to treat people who are unfairly being held back. It's also a movie that hates the poo poo out of rich people to the point where its main human villain is just Mitt Romney, it explicitly says the 1% will gently caress off and hide under a mountain while lying to everybody so they can be eaten by climate change kaiju. The rich tell the poor to go build a wall and it will fix all their problems and it fails instantly (and then we learn the loving monsters can just FLY anyway lmao.) The action has more weight than 99% of the "big CGI things smashing together" movies ever made. There's some good stuff in there.

The lead is the most boring whitebread gently caress imaginable though, and then they went and made him stand next to Idris loving Elba to make the deficiency as glaring as possible.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

No idea why, but this reminded me of the Hellboy reboot. Goddamn that was bad.

Yikes, that's a good example of a bad movie.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gavok posted:

I'm kind of shocked that after 11 pages, nobody mentioned Holmes and Watson once considering how much hate it got when it came out.

My guess is almost nobody saw it at all.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Clint has been out of the complexity business and in the :heritage: business for a while now.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

nonathlon posted:

A lot of movies have these weird vestigial scenes and motifs, that I've always assumed were left over from earlier screenplays, edits and ambitions. My Name is Legend is full of them.

The new Midway movie really feels like this happened a lot, too.

On topic: the new Midway movie is pretty bad, just watch the 1976 one instead if you're into that sort of thing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Julius CSAR posted:

Midway (have only seen the old one) is awful, but Tora, Tora, Tora is great. The way they did it as two productions with American film makers doing the American side of things and Japanese film makers doing their side of things is really cool and unique.

Generally the old Midway was more highly regarded than Tora Tora Tora, oddly enough. For me they both tend to run together in my head though.

The new Midway is poo poo but not outrageously egregious or anything.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

In the original Dirty Harry film, Harry constantly faces the logical consequences of his RENEGADE COP WHO PLAYS BY HIS OWN RULES actions.

Also he breaks out a hilariously overpowered .458 Magnum elephant rifle and then never hits anything with it. It's Chekhov' Gun Impotent Phallic Symbol.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He probably had to do it because Tomorrowland flopped. The director of Finding Nemo did the slapdash Finding Dory a few years after his live-action Disney film John Carter flopped. Not saying Disney forces you to make an underwhelming sequel as penance if your movie flops BUT I’m not not saying it either.

You're just describing Hollywood in general since forever. If you make an ambitious flop you have to make a safe money maker if you want back in quickly, or you're just poo poo out of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That would also be tight.

Those are actually two great/hilarious ideas.