Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

i love her and i am in love with her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Last Celebration posted:

Man, I forgot how Himeno just straight up parallels Aki with realizing she doesn’t care about Gun Devil vengeance anymore and wants to gently caress off somewhere safe with Aki. Kinda wonder about the alternate universe where he wasn’t being Controlled and just got married to her.

He's gay and she's a sexual predator, it never would have worked.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Valentin posted:

it's unlikely that kishibe warned an old friend that one of her prior assassination targets defeated and is now the caretaker of the only devil we've seen beat quanxi so far?

e: a big part of public safety's dysfunction is obviously a huge reliance on secrecy that facilitates their serious internal factional infighting, and I think it's not that surprising if someone like kishibe who is clearly used to operating within its boundaries hit up the strongest devil hunter ever after public safety enslaved her to work as a human weapon and was like "hey fyi if someone tells you to ruin my pet project over here, please don't, thanks".

on top of this, the panelling shows her stopping when she sees Denji, and if she wasn’t talking about Denji then Yoru bringing up Chainsaw Man is a non-sequitur.

Kobeni’s brother is there to get caught in the crossfire, just like Kobeni.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 10, 2024

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

....I really don't like having to spell it out to such a degree but fine.

I'm unsure if she's had contact with Kishibe since the end of part 1 or before her capture, whatever.

I think she doesn't need to be warned about Denji/CSM because she already knows.

Sure it was probably Kishibe not wanting anyone to gently caress with Denji and Nayuta, but this feels more like misdirection to me.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

given that kishibe seemed to be handling a lot of the post-makima cleanup (by default really as the only guy left), i think it's reasonable to assume he filled her in on the rest of what happened when he put her head back on

i was mostly joking w/r/t kobeni's brother, tho the more i think about it it would be very fun if college brother or someone else in the family winds up being a big shot

stuker fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 10, 2024

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Kishibe always knew Quanxi would reject him, but he always tried, even in the Public Safety Arc

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Kishibe is us. We are the walking dead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, was looking over this arc again, and I noticed something unusual.

Asa has just two sentences of inner monologue in six chapters. Now, for someone like Denji, that'd normally be nothing worth mentioning. But Asa's whole thing is overthinking. What's more, this comes after Nayuta got a couple chapters revealing the inner thoughts of the Control Devil for the first time, and some spooky scenes with Denji talking with his inner guilt and Pochita.

Not thinking it means anything, but it seems different enough to be worth a mention.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Forgot how hard the Darkness/Hell arc goes in general, but especially forgot the part where the one fiend of Quanxi can only say “Halloween!” because the burden of understanding literally everything ever broke her mind, which she inflicts on Santa Claus, complete with full page spread of her mind breaking, surrounded by books that represent the metaphorical weight of the cosmos to which she’s literally just a blip on the page.

Chainsaw Man is peak, controversial take I know, but I’m willing to stand by it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
How many of us reread that section this week I wonder.

I really hope when it's animated Cosmos, while in that library, has one of those voices where they just layer a bunch of different VAs on top of each other but they probably won't. I feel like that fits well with cosmic horror entities.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Double posting for thoughts on the end of Part 1:
- feels slightly weird that Makima can’t subjugate Denji to just tell him to give up on his dreams if she sees him as a clearly inferior being to Pochita, but as the cigarette scene showed maybe she just never stopped to think of it in those terms
- wonder if we’ll see what happened to the other devils/weapon humans/fiends from the end of the Part 1 fight
- gently caress I forgot Angel Devil’s backstory, gently caress Makima
- it is very very funny how Pochita tells Denji about how he just wanted hugs but was too strong to make friends, but murdered like a half dozen employees for not getting his burger out fast enough.
- also very funny: Pochita’s expression after Power immediately does the Power thing

Coming fresh off it to reread part 2 almost feels like a mistake; Part 1 is really motherfucking good in a way that I don’t think Part 2 can entirely live up to; it’s the story of a downtrodden, broken boy learning how to want more than the bare minimum out of life and then having those things taken away, as much as it is, in retrospect, the story of Aki learning what Fire Punch’s Agni learned; the futility of revenge and the value of friends and found family, both being written through great comedy and some wild fights/setpieces. And it’s fine that Part 2’s likely gonna be its own thing that doesn’t hit as hard by the nature of not being orchestrated as a master plan to maximize Asa’s suffering, it’s still a great manga on its own merits!

tl;dr Makima sucks, miss my boy Aki, Chainsaw Man Part 1 was one of the best works of fiction I’ve ever consumed.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So, maybe I'm being a little illiterate, but is Denji the one who killed the agent in this last chapter? Or is it just some CSM fanatic?

I didn't think we saw any of the CSM fanatics with the arm blades. We also obviously have his head in the cooler, but I'm guessing he can probably technically recover from that, since his heart is intact and, if I'm remembering correctly, that's basically his core? I don't know how exactly you have a heart "drink" blood, though.

And there's the precedent for his heart being separated from him at the end of Part 1, but that was with Power's blood coursing through him and he used an actual chainsaw to chop Makika, so I assume he couldn't do the arm blades?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Scholtz posted:

So, maybe I'm being a little illiterate, but is Denji the one who killed the agent in this last chapter? Or is it just some CSM fanatic?

it was the agent’s wife

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

D'oh, you're right. It's there in Chapter 159.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
We know this is true

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

We know this is true

Denji would stare at the eclipse. Power would somehow manage something even more... "Brilliant".

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

Denji would stare at the eclipse. Power would somehow manage something even more... "Brilliant".

She would use binoculars to make sure she saw it better than everyone else

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

he just like me fr fr

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Last Celebration posted:

Coming fresh off it to reread part 2 almost feels like a mistake; Part 1 is really motherfucking good in a way that I don’t think Part 2 can entirely live up to; it’s the story of a downtrodden, broken boy learning how to want more than the bare minimum out of life and then having those things taken away, as much as it is, in retrospect, the story of Aki learning what Fire Punch’s Agni learned; the futility of revenge and the value of friends and found family, both being written through great comedy and some wild fights/setpieces. And it’s fine that Part 2’s likely gonna be its own thing that doesn’t hit as hard by the nature of not being orchestrated as a master plan to maximize Asa’s suffering, it’s still a great manga on its own merits!

tl;dr Makima sucks, miss my boy Aki, Chainsaw Man Part 1 was one of the best works of fiction I’ve ever consumed.

It doesn't help that Part 2 has a looser schedule than Part 1. The series has lost some momentum compared to the pre-time skip stuff, which was like a weekly rollercoaster.

That being said: gently caress the killer mangaka industry. Fujimoto can take all the time and have all the sleep in the world.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

limp dick calvin posted:

he just like me fr fr

You hit on a lesbian for 9 years straight?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

We know this is true

Tbf I’d probably stare at the eclipse too if all I needed was a pint of blood to unfuck my eyes afterwards.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Wanting what you can't have is a part of the human condition.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Neo_Crimson posted:

You hit on a lesbian for 9 years straight?

Uh maybe like, 5?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
weird!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

It doesn't help that Part 2 has a looser schedule than Part 1. The series has lost some momentum compared to the pre-time skip stuff, which was like a weekly rollercoaster.

That being said: gently caress the killer mangaka industry. Fujimoto can take all the time and have all the sleep in the world.

I mean, we just got seven weeks straight, so there's theoretically no momentum problem there. Practically, though...

Well, practically it feels like these chapters have been showing all of part 2's worst traits, which is more of a shame after the end of the last Denji section was really getting its feet back under it.

In the department of "might as well get hanged for a sheep as for a lamb", I'd even say that Asa's gone from "weak protagonist for an action manga, good character" to just... not being good lately. She's less a character with motivations than a prop, following whatever the plot has her do like a puppy, with no interiority to speak of. She's become a celebrity, become Japan's most wanted terrorist, found out that her crush was the same idiot who claimed to be Chainsaw Man, and lost an arm, and she's had less to say about it than Haruka. And this is Asa, who had five pages of complaints for when she saw a couple in the hall at school. We went from a lengthy Denji arc all about how he and Nayuta are coping emotionally to rushing through an arc for Asa where her emotions are irrelevant, and where every possible complication just gets shoved aside for a gag.

There's still good stuff here, some of the gags land and the complete lack of concern from the surgeons is amazing, but how poorly Asa's personality meshes with what the story needs from her is just causing more and more strain on the structure and her character, and that's a shame.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

sure man

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

guy who takes every opportunity to compare Part 2 to Part 1: i think the protag in Part 2 is weaker

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
for someone who can’t shut the hell up about chainsaw man regardless of topic he understands very little of it

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

hmmm it's almost like after a recent perspective switch, fujimoto is intentionally holding back on showing us the part 2 protagonist's thoughts such that, just as we started this part squarely in asa's head (and her internal monologue is extremely verbose) with no access to denji, so too now are we deeply in denji's decapitated head and not at all in asa's. and in fact after denji's death we're now in nobody's head, and alienated from the action in a way that is intentionally uncomfortable.

or it's because she's getting a bad grade in protagonist. one of the two.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 12, 2024

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I guess its annoying to have someone try to talk about the manga and their perception of its quality in the manga thread but its not that outlandish to dislike what fujimoto has done so far lol

Part 2 time skipped a significant amount over Asa's development as a character WRT the chainsaw man church and becoming a devil fighter, and until we see what this has been cooking to its fair game to complain about the underdevelopment and perception of disservice for the character. Asa's entire introduction put her squarely in focus and not being able to follow her as closely as we did at the start of part 2 has been sad (for me personally as a reader, Asa owns).

Valentin posted:

hmmm it's almost like after a recent perspective switch, fujimoto is intentionally holding back on showing us the part 2 protagonist's thoughts such that, just as we started this part squarely in asa's head (and her internal monologue is extremely verbose) with no access to denji, so too now are we deeply in denji's decapitated head and not at all in asa's. and in fact after denji's death we're now in nobody's head, and alienated from the action in a way that is intentionally uncomfortable.

or it's because she's getting a bad grade in protagonist. one of the two.

You're portraying your own opinion of what Fujimoto has done as fact. Is Fujimoto making this perspective switch intentionally uncomfortable? Is he doing something else? Is it good to even be doing that? Will it get paid off in some way?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

God heaven forbid I make an assertion about art. I'd hate to give you the vapors.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Is he doing something else? Is it good to even be doing that? Will it get paid off in some way?

reading chainsaw man and frowning to myself at the events on the page. is it good to even be doing that?, i wonder.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

to be clear we are making fun of a dude with an annoying opinion for constantly asserting that asa is nebulously failing what the story objectively requires of her as a protagonist when it's clear he just doesn't like her or the story and should frame his complaints that way instead of constantly appealing to some imagined way the story should be.

responding to me offering a much more straightforward interpretation of the work (asa is out of focus on purpose at the moment, the efficacy of which is debatable but the fact of which isn't really questionable given the story literally switched away from her POV) with "actually you don't know WHAT the author intended" is at best non-sequitur and at worst freshman english level bloviating

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Valentin posted:

reading chainsaw man and frowning to myself at the events on the page. is it good to even be doing that?, i wonder.

I was just pointing out that you're basically doing what chiasaur did but in a much douchier manner. You baka, of course fujimoto MEANT to do this. Well ok, suppose he did MEAN to do it, is that good writing? At least someone in this thread says no, maybe not. ( I don't agree, I will let fujimoto cook all day long, but you're all doing a very good job of angry retorting to the OP of this entire thread every time they post like ignore it and move on or whatever lol) Chiasaur is at least engaging in criticism from a genre perspective, its not completely out of left field! This is a shounen manga after all.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 12, 2024

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

God, I love the internet. I love hearing people's opinions about things. Just unironically adore people explaining in detail why they dislike something. This is not sarcasm I seriously find it so fun, but it's impossible to convey that in a way that feels sincere via text.

Anyway, I think Yoshida should be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Also, whenever Yoshida doesn't appear in a chapter everyone should be asking: "Where's Yoshida?" Again, I am being 100% sincere. My main complaint about part 2 is not enough Yoshida

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
chainsaw man is a great manga and I am glad it makes people feel things enough to want to write about them and engage with the work.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I will fight you all about whatever you think. Sky is blue? Not so fast! You need oxygen to survive? You need oxygen to LOSE. Opinion? More like OPINOFF, MOTHERFUCKER!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Jerkface posted:

I was just pointing out that you're basically doing what chiasaur did but in a much douchier manner. You baka, of course fujimoto MEANT to do this. Well ok, suppose he did MEAN to do it, is that good writing? At least someone in this thread says no, maybe not. ( I don't agree, I will let fujimoto cook all day long, but you're all doing a very good job of angry retorting to the OP of this entire thread every time they post like ignore it and move on or whatever lol) Chiasaur is at least engaging in criticism from a genre perspective, its not completely out of left field! This is a shounen manga after all.

it's actually cool to flame ppl who have takes such as "Asa has become a poor, rushed character who deviates from what she started out as" (she is currently in an arc full of chaos and action where such pace is antithetical to much internal monologue and thought processes, and that serves as both violent and comedic release as response to the preceding arc's tension)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

how can you dislike Guilly man. do you hate petting zoos too