Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Anyone that buys me breakfast can't be all bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I think making Death super powerful would be kinda boring and expected tbh. People fear death yeah, but the it's painful way of dying (starvation, cancer, drowning, burning) that really get the fear juices going imo.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I'm just thinking either Death is so powerful that it's like Darkness, and so it'd still be chilling in Hell, or the rather nebulous state of no longer being alive would be weaker compared to the specific types of dying. Can these concepts piggyback off each other so Death and Burning both get credit? :iiam: What kind of power levels or scaling all these devils have it seems to be "whatever the story needs". Which is fine because the story is fun and not really about power levels.

EDIT: Please let there not be a tournament arc with power level talk in Chainsaw Man

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 27, 2022

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Please let there be a tournament arc with power level talk for fun, and then immediately when it's over throw out the entire power levels without a word.

Tournament arc will reintroduce Power who of course has very high power levels

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Control Devil's animal form is just a fat chukar partridge. Makima's plan was actually an elaborate scheme to keep people from finding out and laughing about it

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I'm offended because I can't hug El Pochita or El Pocho

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

ainda_ posted:

Also, cuz it was dope.

It's this

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Trapdoor (to hell) Spider, ez pz

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I feel like we don't need to hear Denji's inner thoughts of all people to find out what he thinks. He's the most direct and disarmingly honest person in the comic. Even when he lies it's more like watching a golden retriever try to sneak somewhere, totally ineffective and adorable.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

What I mean is that the contrast is good. Because we've seen all of him until now can be fairly confident he doesn't have some complex plot re: chainsaw fame. If he says a thing then it's probably true enough we don't need thought bubbles. I like that the author is keeping the focus on Asa's situation.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

And I'm super glad I'm not learning the answers to any of that with a thought bubble over Denji's head

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

War Devil might be weak as poo poo now but she's still got her ultimate power: the beguiling "necessary evil" speech

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

If that's Justice/Famine right there on the council then it could be as simple as the dude made a contract with her and thinks of chainsaw man as the ideal image of justice. I like the ripcords doubling as scales but also she might just be another fan of our boy

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

chainsaw man is already essentially the Devil-devil, as the thing devils fear most. The devils in hell calling out for him to save them from other devils but also he kills them too I guess gets around the depowering aspect of being called. Devil Devil-devil is maybe too much. ...devil

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Flair posted:

Where is the Starfish devil?

Don't be silly, no one could be scared of starfish

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

He had just shot him to death so that was kill one. There are no details on how Makima did her squish thing or why the mooks died first, just speculation iirc.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I thought Kobeni's plan was to secure the half-Denji, not get into some revengence battle to the death, which worked perfectly. Hyper violence super speed to fully neutralize the injured Katana man and spook the uninjured Snake away

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Here's hoping Chainsaw Man erases the concept of that fake chainsaw rear end in a top hat

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Contracts can be pretty light based on the whim of the Devil, even down to the low, low, price of nothing if your future is hilariously awful!

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

"You'll have to go to the DMV if you get a car"
"Oh I should just die instead"

yeah that checks out

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Scallop Eyes posted:

More like Fujimoto watched it and thought it was really cool. I also like Yoru repeating this thread's discussion trying to figure out which devil it is.

It's great that they don't have some magical identifying power and have to figure it out just like the humans

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

For those battling depression it's a common feeling that no one else feels that way, or as deeply, and that they are alone in their misery. One of the least helpful (unfortunately common) responses to that is to say "okay but I/others have it worse than you so" which is essentially telling someone that their pain doesn't count or is not allowed because they didn't earn enough suffering points. Denji is the goodest boy and didn't try to win a contest of which of them have been hosed over by the universe more, instead he basically told her that her feelings are valid.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Asa has been walking around at critical hp for years and telling her that it's better if she just killed herself is hosed up. I hope Denji and Yoru send Falling Devil to Super Hell

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Well, first, Falling Devil is still murdering Asa, she's not killing herself, FD is just asking her to not resist.

I'm not sure what your point is tbh. Telling someone on the edge that it would be better if they let go is an attack upon them, and the victim letting go is an act of suicide. Like ultimately yeah Falling Devil put her on that edge but it think it's clear this would hardly require supernatural powers for someone to accomplish. Rather than just murder her in a thousand violent ways, it's instead choosing this very hosed up way. Unless you needed the Falling (Into Despair) Devil to say those specific words out loud to count? Pretty sure the Devil gets how Asa is thinking, and we get her internal thoughts following directly after the 'peaceful fall' line.

Anyway Denji and Asa should swap hosed up stories after while laying in a pile of huskies eating ice cream

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I swear to god if Asa/Yoru end up loving each other and so one/both get turned into a weapon and dies... I will be very mad at Chainsawman

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Simply amazing

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I still think Death is not going to be anywhere near as powerful, or at least as malevolent, as you'd expect. The process of dying is terrifying, cancer or burning or drowning, and those things are distinct enough they seem to get a separate Devil. Meanwhile a lot of the fear of death itself is the unknowable-ness of what that is even like. Which seems more under the portfolio of Darkness, the fear of the unknown outside the campfire light. Also I just want them to be able to bounce off Denji an Asa more than something like Falling can

EDIT: VVV yeah that's basically what I'm hoping for. Discworld Death or Angel Devil style VVV

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 20, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Neither one of them were interested in Denji as a person. Makima implicitly promised an underage boy sex as part of a sinister plan. Himeno explicitly offered an underage boy sex while drunk as a skunk. My take is her "get to Aki through Denji" plan (such as it was) was formed the next morning. Regardless, one wants Chainsawman and the other wants Aki. And let's be real here, if "Put your hand on my tit while I nibble your finger" Makima's path to apotheosis was best served by boning Denji she would have. Comic is filled to bursting with "bad" people that are great characters

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Hunger (for chapters) is the best spice, after all

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I also guess Death as the thing that looks like Chainsawman, mostly because I feel like it's time to get the last horseman out there in some capacity. Also, thoughts on Death taking the form of the death devils fear, how powerful are the horseman on their own really?

Control isn't much herself (maybe), even when Makima was like the most feared thing by many countries leaders she was only rad af because of the contracts(?). Has her spy/teleport animal thing and standard devil super strength or w/e but also was fighting weakened Chainsaw so idk.

War can make things she values into weapons (because war destroys the things you love, got it) but what does a Devil really value? If it was just she truly values weapons or something then she could bootstrap herself to a real terror on her own. We don't have a whole lot to go on since we met her as a doofy bird, but I'd guess she uses a human with some cause as a conduit to make wars happen even outside of her current Asa brain situation. A war is more that just a series of destructive acts.

Fami summoned(?) Justice devil to hook up with the one girl, and poor Infinity devil at the aquarium. Hasn't done anything scary herself although we haven't seen her much so idk.

Death able to embody the death you fear but being fairly detached or passive would kinda break the pattern, but probably it'll be more interesting that whatever I can think up.

I think it'd be plain more interesting to have the horseman not only have their own goals and agendas, but be more linked to people than just more fear = more power. It would also keep them from rivaling the primal fears in raw power, while still letting them be big shots on the human side of the doorway. The ones we know are brighter than like the Bat devil that's a menace because devils just be like that (okay Yoru is a little dumb). Anyway Power will return with all her memories because she's too dumb to remember to forget a genius

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Fair enough, although by the time of the comic, even though Gun devil was getting all the press she was the most feared devil by many very powerful people, and had been for some time. I guess I just don't see the baseline Control devil solving problems with her iron fists, and not just as like a personal preference. Winning against War in an Asa mobile doesn't seem like a fair test of strength either.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Makima's fisticuff time was the last phase of a god knows how long elaborate plot to pit herself at the peak of her power against a Chainsaw presumably as weak as she could make it, physically by throwing an absolute fuckton of devils at it and supernaturally by making it not-feared/loved. Only then was there a (almost childishly simplistic) confrontation where she could be superior to it to her satisfaction. "Heh I beat you up that makes me the boss!" Like I'm not saying Control isn't strong or can't throw a punch lmao, just that it needs to augment it's strength with something more than just human fear juice to go up against strong but uncomplicated bruisers like Gun. I think War and Famine seem to operate in a similar fashion, and that Death may as well. Certainly it's more interesting, and would necessitate a better understanding and more complex relationship to humans than "make scared, become swole"

The strongest is Indefinite Hiatus Devil, just absolutely devastating and feared by all

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 30, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I said Control (zero-contracts baseline devil) may not be much compared to Control Makima (many powerful contracts), the near godlike entity of the first arc. I think Makima at her height still would've been extremely dead if she didn't have the extra lives her contract gave her (and w/e else she has running), in the battle with Gun or even the train shooting. Good luck getting the drop on her since she has spies everywhere but if you could snipe her that's it. I don't think Control automatically gets bulletproof skin or the power to ignore getting cut in half like the Primals do even when she's filled with fear juice. Like would Control automatically be stronger than the Haemorrhoid Devil or something, sure why not, but also who cares. If level 1 Control just believes via pure might it's superior to everything on earth from the get go I don't think the comic makes sense. I guess if people want to think she solved all the other obstacles pre comic by punching them to death then they can though. Hell I'd read it.

Makima was (again) at the top of her game, like far and away the most* feared devil in the world by scary powerful folks when she went up against Gun and Darkness, and I don't think we even know what the hell she was doing against Darkness exactly, or how Darkness does... anything at all for that matter. Her current inventory of contracts is not given but I don't think it's controversial to say the list would be quite long. That whole encounter was weird and intentionally vague, to my mind it served more as an example of why even powerhouse Makima would need to subjugate something like Chainsaw to continue her plans.

(*by the people that nominally run the world, rather than in total numbers of humans that have a general fear of say getting shot. That's my personal take, comic is not into powerlevel stat sheets and we can have a literally falling devil that's also a falling into despair devil, fear sources can have different weights)

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 1, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

iirc the biblical War was specifically like civil war, which separates it from conquest. Which is sort of a parallel to Yoru/Asa fighting over the one body?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

lmao

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I'm here for the Asa Faildaughter, Attorney at Law spinoff

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I'll always like how Denji groups people and pets together as a single entity instead of saying "Power and the cat" or "Nayuta and the dogs." It's just "they" or "them."
They're on the same level of importance and that's so darlingly Denji.

I was legit delighted that Denji was worried about both, since it's the kind of thing that usually gets left out in these situations. But if you have a pet no way are you going to just forget about them

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

uPen posted:

Went to hell and back and Denji didn’t even bother looking for Power like he promised. Gonna let a little apocalypse get in the way?

He knows Power is a super strong genius that doesn't need his help obv. She'll be back whenever she wants

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Considering how devils work you would thing more of them would want to protect humans as that is where at least some of their power comes from.

Devils seem to be pretty stupid and impulsive in general. Makima held up Power as being atypically rational which tells you something. I continue to think the Horseman are also atypical in how they interact with humanity, either because of how their powers work, or just being more intelligent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Denji has to crush this imposter