Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

sockpuppetclock posted:

The only thing about that trailer that bothers me is how subdued the coloring is, it doesn't capture the full emotion. Chainsaw Man

I have a lot of respect for MAPPA and I have no doubts that when this show fires on all cylinders it'll be a feast for the eyes but yeah, it's visual style feels a bit restrained and muted. I'd really like to see some Masaaki Yuasa-esque colour madness and looser artwork. Hope they keep the 4th wall breaking style of the Curse Devil.

Still, not actually complaining. Trailer looks beautiful and feels like it suits the tone for when the series gets heavier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Excited to see how they deal with the wilder moments. Like, the Darkness Devil is far from impossible to animate but it's also one where motion feels like it would detract from the very intentional incomprehensibility of it all so it'll be tough to do justice.
Then there's the weird poo poo the Curse Devil and Hell Devil(?) do with framing in the manga that will be hard to literally translate into the anime but an adventurous director could really play with (mostly thinking the finger wiping away the 3 kids for a visit to Hell.) Gun Devil's hit list should also be a strange visual treat.
And finally, as said, Family Burger is just such a grim but funny sequence.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

While I'm here, I only just tore through the series in the last few days and while I know there's no definitive answer for what I'm about to ask since the manga left it ambiguous: Is there a general consensus on what happens when Chainsaw Man eats another Devil? Like, if he ate Power I don't imagine blood would cease to exist and if he ate Darkness I the physics of light would change so do we think it's more along the lines the fears and memories cease to exist? That whole part was just a bit confusing in what it was trying to say. Makima says the names escape even her memory only to list several examples (AIDs, Nazis) of concepts that got gobbled up in the next speech bubble. I don't mind it being weird and nebulous but I'd be interested to hear what you folks made of it.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

madness star was just a really difficult level of kirby 64

I love how Kirby frequently goes cosmic horror in the last acts.

I do love how CSM mixes in actual historical (and contemporary) horrors with things like The Madness Star and other fates. I like to think that's why no one ever thinks "Oh drat, Denji is immortal now, that's kinda hosed up." since the idea of immortality just isn't scary anymore. I also enjoy how the concept eating coming up so late retroactively explains the USSR still existing which could have easily been brushed aside as just odd set dressing. Overall I really like how it's left kind of ambiguous since the erasure of concepts is pretty outside our ability to understand anyway so any attempts to really nail it down would quickly fall apart.

Gonna go with a hot take here and say CSM is pretty rad and I'm sorry it took the PV for me to finally sit down and binge it.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Ethiser posted:

It was always weird how Pochita seemed to have two personalities, Friendly internal version and Chainsaw Devil version. The version of Pochita Denji talks with seems very different from the barely vocal murderous version we see at Kobeni’s restaurant.

To be fair, even in monstrous murder mode his primary goal just seemed to be having a nice day. It's just when you're the manifestation of the fear of chainsaws, solutions to problems like annoying staff tend to be rather straight forward.
"When all you have is hammer every problem is a nail."

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Hey guys, this series is cool.

The idea that the Chainsaw Devil can regurgitate the fears it ate is... worrying. Amazing idea to kick things off though.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Scallop Eyes posted:

I wonder if the war devil completely took over, or if it's sharing the body with Makita's mind

This is what I was wondering.

but wasn't Denji a special case where Pochita was happy to stay passive? We never got certain answers for Katana Man or Reze...

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

EDIT: the chapter has been out for six hours and people are already doing poo poo like this
https://twitter.com/Kiecaburn/status/1546951766993866752

https://twitter.com/Kekeflipnote/status/1223675125154897920

internet gonna internet.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Even as a fiend, Violence had a mask that kept him drugged up and mellow.

Power is one of the best examples, though, since we spend most of the series with her barely able to do anything with anyone else's blood at point blank range, while Devil Power explodes people with swords made of their own blood.

I don't want to "um actually" you but when you say "barely able to do anything..." I think you meant "magnanimously chose not to do anything..."

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Crain posted:

I never really understood the rules for "deleting devils/fears via eating them". Not sure it was ever particularly laid out either.

I can understand that normal humans can't remember fears/devils eaten by chainsawman, but devils who knew about said fears are able to? Or if you're a sufficiently powerful devil you're able to?

But then, does Chainsawman himself/denji know about the things he's eaten? In part 1 he doesn't have any clue about his powers until after he's awakened in the finale, but I'm pretty sure that he's still got no clue about any of the stuff from before he was Chainsawman.

It's gonna be pretty funny when Mitaka/War demand nukes back and denji has not clue what they're talking about.

It was all kept entirely unexplained so we don't even know how the world squares a lot of it's history. As for Denji I would guess (wildly and with no foundation0 that he only knows what Pochita lets him know and that lil rascal probably wants to keep their secret.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Oh boy! it's time to get SO POPULAR!

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

I just love that the War devil isn't down with bullies. I know it has interest in keeping our girl popular so dealing with bullies is going to be a thing but it mentioning it being an issue among devils is really interesting.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Here's the new PV

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1555510868284162049

The voices seem really good, it looks sexy as one would expect from MAPPA and the OST is going to be a bop.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

sockpuppetclock posted:

lines too thin + cataract vision color design + voices dont match my imagination :byewhore:

I will say the muted grey and brown colour pallet they're going with is a shame but we knew that from the PV. I guess it's to add this sense of "realism" as much as one can pretend reality likes vibrancy which feels like a less inspired choice but I could not imagine them bring the manga cover art wildness so made my peace with that long ago. You need Masaaki Yuasa for that, sadly. Maybe Shinbo from SHAFT.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

I didn't even think this was a debate, it's literally just the same thing that happened to Denji. Fiends boot out the souls to some degree (we know Violence kept some raw personality) while Denji and Asa got to keep their souls to serve purposes the devils alone couldn't achieve (experience hugs and blend in with society.)

Do people think Asa is actually showing scars when Yoru is talking and thus a Fiend?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

When talking to Yoshida, yoru takes over Asas body and he literally says “huh? Those scars…” so yeah

Looking at the page it's kinda weird but I think it's Asa talking because it goes from Yoru talking to Yoshida then "Huh? Those scars..." in ambiguous bubbles then Asa saying "M-my body!" which I read as Asa realising she's essentially outside her body and seeing some manifestation of herself. It's like Fight Club where we get to see Narrator and Tyler to make the conversations easier to follow (and mask the twist in Fight Club). In the same scene Asa and Yoru are is shown facing each other and talking and no one seems to act like it's weird Asa suddenly has a twin with rad scars.

It just feels more believable than her suddenly actually manifesting scars and Yoshida noting that and then just right away going back to casually talking about Chainsaw man. I'll give you the "Those scars" bubbles are ambiguous in isolation.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

RubberLuffy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFlDRhvM4L0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIeYK9w03i4

Here's the OP and ED1 courtesy of official youtube.

OP is fully sick haven't watched the ED yet.

Love the little cut of Denji and Power just dancing in the street. Feels very true to them.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Sadly it's the same Union that serves the Springfeild Nuclear Power Plant. It's an odd Union when it comes to worker safety but hey, they have Dental...

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Hace posted:

i think im maybe just not a fan of the mappa style that much

Same. I've made my peace with their brown and grey colour pallets but it does kind of evoke the console wars Brown and Bloom era of hyper realism.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

RubberLuffy posted:

I'm reading Fire Punch

what the gently caress

I'm up to a bit where he knowcked down a big tree.
i really like his use of jump cuts, either literal or "this thing just super suddenly happened." Togata's fight on the train being the best example so far but Togata just seems to be a general shining star.

I'm really glued to it so far but it's hard to say if I'm enjoying it. Fujimoto just kind of slaps you sideways with moments (who likes dogs?) and I'm super uncertain where things are going now with 21 chapters left to go but I'm invested.

EDIT
Disregard: San just ripped off the Bible quote bit from Pulp Fiction. Fire Punch is neat.

Popo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 29, 2022

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Elfface posted:

Ooh, time for baseless speculation...

Chainsaw Boy: Denji and Pochita's adventures in devil hunting for the yakuza

Obviously not, it's going to be an entirely episodic series, the NEW Adventures of Chainsw Man, in which Chainsaw Man meets various celebrities to solve a mystery of the week. He'll meet popular music acts, comedians, entire sports teams and occaisionally other shounen jump characters depending on effective brand synergy or if another series needs a boost.

or it might be The 13 Devisl of Chainsaw Man, guest staring Juni Ito and some annoying kid companion. 13 particularly powerful Devisl have been set lose and now it's time for Scoob-I mean Chainsaw Man, Aki, Power and some new tag along kid called something stupid like Flip Flop to track them down.

Or... or it could be a boy named Chainsaw Man which is exactly the same as the original but they're kids and it's mostly just people pretending to be Devils. (How did a Pup named Scooby Doo go? Was it real ghosts as opposed to the fakes thery would later encounter?)

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

RubberLuffy posted:

I finished Fire Punch.

I think I love the idea of this manga more than the execution. Still think it should be read because it's so interesting.

I think this encapsulates how I feel. For a fist run in Sj it's incredible and deserves the hype and praise but could have used a bit more poking here and there. I'm absolutely going to read it again though. Togata demands I make a lovely video essay. He must be discussed.

In far more important news;

https://twitter.com/akiisass/status/1586825153098440704

I love this continuing crossover. (Not sure why it's marked as potentially offensive or whatever, it's just Anya from Spy x Family hugging Pochita...)

Popo fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 30, 2022

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

I Am Fowl posted:

Hey, so anyone ever figure out why Angel had that power or is it just "because it's cool."

Something about devotion, giving your life to your faith, as represented by a lil winged twink <3

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

lih posted:

devils often have weird arbitrary powers with an unclear relation to their namesake - princi was the spider devil but had the weird zipper thing that let her summon makima for instance

Like how Spiders just appear in my house...
Honestly surprised she wasn't more powerful. Feels like she should be on par with Darkness in my absolutely objective, not terrified of spiders, opinion.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Continuing my Fujimoto binge by grabbing a copy of Look Back. Arrived today, plowed through it and it was a cute little read with a really sad turn. It's amazing in how few pages he capurted a really quite complicated relationship. The scene of Kyomoto saying she wants to go to art school and Fujino berrating her is as harsh a break up and Guts and Griffith in the snow. And that "what could have been" sequence!

[insert various onomatopias signifying a range of hard to describe feelings]

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

raocow posted:

I forget, has the series at any point said why there are fiends? As in, why a devil would chose to take over a corpse to become one? Is it simply a 'in order to say hidden' thing?

Something was said about it usually being a desperation move to stay alive but I can't find where right now.

It's all really confusing though. Just thinking too hard about how Power ate Pochita to revive yet Pochita still reacts when Power nearly obeys Makima... The mechanics of Chainsaw Man are incredibly vague with a lot of rear end pulls that some how work.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Putting on my pedantic hat for a second to say I'm MILDLY annoyed that they changed the shot of Denji sat on the floor with Makima in her chair above him t that more awkward, not as good but still nice shot of them stood with a pillar or something dividing them. How annoyed? Enough to go, "Huh, shame."
Other than that they completely nailed that scene and the lead up perfectly. Really elevated the sense of intense intimacy. No surprise Denji was down to take on the Gun Devil with that kind of emotional (hormonal?) manipulation.
The sound design of the Gun Devil blasting Aki's house was also great. Anime continus to be "real fuckin' neat!"

The new chapter is good to but drat, I needs/gots to know who big sister is.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

I think the horses are Denji's squad on this mission with lots of foreshadowing for some.
The fairly normal horse at the begining is guy who's name I reuse to learn.
Cuddly softness is Kobeni, note it's unicorn horn is her knife which even if we're new is already used a lot in other imagery of her.
The Centaur that's Himeno...I can't place, totaly mystery.
The headless, six legged tingy is Power (distinct for her head, exists within a chainsaw chain much like in the finale).it also has just a whole bunch of Powers walking around and... you've seen it, I don't need to do this (but I will.)
Gun horse is our dear, sweet Aki. The Gun aspect then makes sense and I think the fingers could be an allusion to his Kon hand gesture or maybe the Ghost Devil? It's possibly running through his destroyed house as well and in the next cut Aki is on some stairs.

Just framing through it now and it's so intensly dense with fun and strange images.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

That's Arai's, I'm certain. Big ol' titty centaur Himeno for the guy that's horny for Himeno. And it's like, literally framed by pieces of him.

It's absolutely about Arai, yes. The way I saw his framing her was as symbolic of her effect on him (being split in two being hsi "propper, well berhaved" self vs his horny for Himeno self and the burning legs his passion) and being a centaur is him mythologising her but the centaur still specifically respenting Himeno. The scene is about him but she's the subject kinda dealie, if only because it would then make Himeno the dark horse in the unremarkable room minus the ceiling bed which I can't fit into a highschool Artist Statement-esque explaination.
Either way, we're super clever geniuses at understanding Ponysonas.

The staircase being riefling is a cool shout.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

The PV for ep 7 is out and shows a lot of beer being drunk. Strap in for the MOST ROMANTIC kissu in anime history. I am terrified as to how detailed they'll animate it....

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Asa and Denji bringing some amazing little expressions to the table this week.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Presumably it's visible during his televised fights. They also know he's a Highschooler which is probably becuase he's been seen wearing his uniform while fighting.

Oh, anbd the ED for ep 7 is back on form after last weeks lull. A CSM JRPG and cheesecake pans of the main ladies then a stunning advert for Skittles; taste the Rainbow. Good times. They really got the old VHS look down.

Popo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 22, 2022

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Also, for those not reading the anime thread, have some rank-nasty gifs of Himeno being a mother bird from the latest episode;
]

Animation is gorgeous.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Once again the ED is a golden gift.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Was interested in how they'd pull off Curse and while it couldn't do the weird panel nonsense it certainly gave a good impression. I'm glad they just hard cut devils disappearing with no effects or anyting, just BLIP, gone.. Gives me lots of hope for our stint in Hell in 2 years time.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

hbag posted:

i honestly don't remember the panel poo poo curse did

It appeared outside the panels, from the edge of the page, flicking inwards. I thought it did it for each shot but it's just the first,. Still neat ut hard if not impossible to execute in the anime without really messing with the 4th wall and distracting from the moment.

I really enjoyed the scenes prior to the opening playing as well. Lots of nice little character actions like Himeno cooling herself in the fridge. Between and Kikuri from Bocchi it's been a good season for messy drunks.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

That episode covered about half a volume so taking that as a rough guide I thik we might get as far as Reze singing her lullaby at the end of volume 5 (that would cover vo. 4-5 in four eps with the last ep being the intro to Reze and ending on a crazy moment.)
I think it'll be that or it takes it's time just a bit, wraps up Katana Man then ends after Denji's movie date and meeting Reze for the first time. Gives you an extra epsiode to go biggity-bucky wild with the action then bring things down with a slightly less intense but still interesting question of who reze is.
Or an anime only episod where they play baseball, becuase everyone loves a baseball episode.

EDIT
^Oh, that's yummy. I love that kind of poo poo.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

Isn't that just the Justice Devil? Or is there linguistic room for a distinct Law Devil?

Justice is a kind of conceptual, alomst divine, fairness heavil;y tied to morality.
Law is just an enforced code of conduct set by a State, presented as fair and just but often simply function to maintain a status quo that favours those setting the laws and thus rarely "Just" for most members of the society. The two ideas are often linked to obfuscate this.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

I thought the reader was being buggy with the two near identically laid out page set ups.

And now we have names the return of old friends! How lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJKMtRnD20

A gentle and sombre ED this week though an FX animator clearly got permission to show off. Excellent as usual.

The shot of the eyepatch falling into water befor eblood errupts evoking Makima's eyes is a genius image.