Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Violence is also a fiend (/devilman) which generally seem to be weaker than a full devil iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I love that violence devil attacks a second time wielding a severed arm in his mouth. :black101:

oh, that makes way more sense. For some reason I parsed it as he grew another arm out of his mouth

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

LostRook posted:

I could totally see demons as having always been a thing, but having been a relatively minor threat or unknown until the advent of mass media commodified fear.

yeah it was mentioned that after the gun devil showed up the first time, devils as a whole got a power boost

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

How I feel about this

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

if Kobeni dies to Makima's regen bullshit I will just be, so sad

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

your mama so fat not even csm can erase her

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

NowonSA posted:

I'm also realizing that with things like the Gun Devil able to massacre vast swathes of people basically instantly and the Darkness devil just immediately owning anything it wants to, War devil's powers seem incredibly weak by comparison. I feel like there's going to be some story reasons to explain why it's weak enough that it needs to partner up with anyone at all, and why the powers it grants don't seem to be anywhere near some devils that seem like they'd be roughly comparable in terms of how feared they are.

the 'violence' devil that was pals with Kobeni would be in the same bucket, I'd say

theory one: in a world with devils, the fear of human violence upon itself is lessened in comparison. Like, it's a semi-common occurance that a devil will just appear and gently caress you up, so being mugged is way less scary, or the idea of two countries going to war is treated fairly lightly.

addendum: Perhaps human violence actually is suppressed, compared to reality- possibly because human individuals or gov'ts have an outside enemy to focus on, that tangibly gets stronger with human conflict and fear.

addendum 2: the nations seem to focus on weaponizing devils in various ways kind of a cold war race. So again conflict isn't so much outright war of 'dudes with guns and planes with bombs' but 'collecting the gun devils shards and brainwashing a teenage bomb-devil hybrid' shadow conflict. Not conducive to a 'war devil'.

two: abstract concepts are not generally as strong as direct in your face objects, or primal brainstem fears.
ie. you fear 'war', but it's the gun or bomb that actually gets you, and war is just many people getting got by many guns and bombs. Like, do you fear war itself, or is war were declared a signifier that now's the time to get really scared of guns and bombs?

although, Makima exists as a counter example to both those- although, how strong was Makima on her own? and how much was her being able to network a collection of other devils bound to her, and piggyback off human structures?

three: similar to how the actual chainsawman/pochita was injured before the story started, or how the violence devil apparently became a fiend (and weakened), there's inter-devil or character conflict that has hosed up the War devil.

addendum: Chainsawman eating nuclear weapons fits 1.a and 3, as a character/individual having a far reaching suppressing effect on the nature of large scale human conflicts

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 12, 2022

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

oh of course she's contracted with the anxiety devil, which is very strong when out of sight but weaker when directly confronted

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Every time I see Power in the anime I hate Makima a little more.

Makima did not lalalalah in the ending

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Kobeni so successfully nope'd out of there that she didn't lose any limbs to the Darkness devil, which is pretty amazing to me.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Popo posted:

Asa and Denji bringing some amazing little expressions to the table this week.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

The question is if Madoka's still kicking. Dude walked first and hardest, but hasn't been seen since.

I forgot about that guy but yeah dude is

a) badass or lucky enough to survive the assassinations

b) smart (?) enough to go "wait I signed up for horrific death by devil, NOT getting shot by guns wielded by regular humans, peace"

c) directly calls out Makima to her face. Honestly I feel like she'd respect that and not retaliate beyond not giving him an answer

On the one hand it'd be cool to see him again, on the other that'd only invite misery. He got out, let him stay out.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Azran posted:

I somehow entirely missed Arai is Violence? Lol

It wasn't explicitly confirmed but the faces do match and drat it makes sense

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Foolish humans, Power obviously intentionally handicapped herself by taking a fiend form, because she's so great and powerful that it wouldn't be fair otherwise

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I wonder what the cost of the contract to get Bucky to be a class pet was, especially when the whole exercise seemed designed around lessening the fear of devils/Bucky

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

assuming it's not a translation quirk, I love how Asa's response doesn't actually make sense to Denji's statement.

It's like she heard him say "I know more than you" and stopped listening

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

is she buying a single large tank vs the entire building?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

the aquarium spear has fish prongs

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Kishibe had a ton of resources at his disposal in his attempt to take out Makima, like a whole platoon of SWAT and a couple devil hunters who sacrificed themselves to contract with the Hell devil.

If that operation wasn't actually government sanctioned, then that means a significant faction went rogue- and ultimately won.

So either Kishibe just led an effective coup, or the gov't realized Makima was slipping her chain.

(also you could certainly argue that the American president dropped a WMD on Japan, which, hmm)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I kind of think of it like, 'what would an early hominid on the african plain be afraid of?'... but also something where even now with our scientific knowledge still chills us. Not too abstract... but on a level of intangibility above a 'thing' you can point at.

Like, we know how gravity works, for example. Doesn't lessen the fear of falling at all. Whereas... if we know what motivates a tiger, how they hunt, where they live... we can fend tigers off, kill them, even befriend them enough to stick your hand in their mouth to pull out a bad tooth. The fear of the tiger fades- still scary, for sure, but lessened. Tigers aren't primal fears. But the fear of being hunted, chased, eaten by just a generic 'thing' as an abstract concept- that doesn't fade. There's some overlap with Darkness/fear of the unknown- the darkness may conceal the hunter, but I think there's enough distinctions- this fear also includes the chase and catch, or the difference between 'there could be something out there' vs 'there definitely is something out there, but I don't know where'.

Drowning and burning/fire for sure yeah. Although interestingly I think a fear of open oceans/deep water would actually get folded into 'darkness'- fear of the unknown of what could be in there. Likewise we've seen typhoon which would represent more the sheer destruction of wind and water, but I don't think that really included 'drowning', as opposed to 'a phenomenon that could lead to you drowning'.

Probably just a generic 'pain' or 'injury'? Infection or disease?

Choking/suffocation?

I'd say starvation but that seems like it'd be covered by famine and she doesn't seem to be primal level... maybe? Or perhaps 'famine' refers to widespread society wide level, which is one step removed from the primal individual level.

Although given that humanity apparently used to have fates other than death at the end of life, there's probably a bunch of other things that became more/less scary when those fates were eaten.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 6, 2023

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

This is supposed to be following Nostradamus prophecies or whatever, right? So yeah, I figure this probably isn't a goal in and of itself, but is a necessary and out of context step for some larger play. Falling Devil may not even be in the loop- (just going to go out on a limb and say that Asa probably isn't going to be eaten in hell).

Although... also interesting that Falling Devil specified she wouldn't kill any more humans to try and get Denji to back off... and then still reiterated that Asa would be served up. There's whole load of ways you can interpret that, though.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

My guess based on the fact that society exists and more or less resembles ours, but Devils are a commonplace fact of life means they've been mucking around on Earth for around ~50 years.

early on when they were explaining gun devil, it was mentioned that the fear of all devils increased, and as such they got a recursive power boost

so yeah devils probably have been a thing forever, but the current... what was it? like 1/3rd of japanese deaths are due to devils or whatever? absolute crisis is fairly recent.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

It's like Yoshida didn't remember or learn anything about the last time he had a little tete-a-tete with Denji where his attempt to control Denji (take away cake fork) immediately failed when Denji just shoveled it into his mouth with his hands

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I cannot help but feel that setting the bodies of people contracted with the fire devil, on fire, is perhaps less than an optimal course of action

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I know the last line from the guard is actually "there's the devils that look like high school girls" but I choose to interpret it as them thinking they are specifically the High School Girl Devil(s), which yes would be very powerful, wouldn't it

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about Makima? She doesn't drink blood and yet can regenerate from ridiculous amounts of damage.

She contracted her injuries onto Japanese citizens

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Scallop Eyes posted:

I have to say I really liked Katana trying his "Nothing personnel kid" move just to have his own head fall off , amazing gag.

Quanxi blocked Nail's attack and offed Katana in a single move, excellent

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

somehow Kobeni got promoted up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Chainsaw Man(ga): I don't feel safe with these people

Chainsaw Man(ga): Ring the gong of vengeance with my own foot

Chainsaw Man(ga): Never stop being our idol!!!