Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This series is so weird because it really feels like it is setting up a pretty standard shonen premise but takes a left turn pretty quickly since Denji is a loving moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The phrase "antemortem" doesn't exactly bode well for those characters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd argue that someone with mind control powers would have the healthiest dynamics with someone she couldn't control.

This is a plot point in the comic series Mind MGMT by Matt Kindt which is about secret psychic organizations going to war. One of the main characters has a backstory where he's such a powerful psychic that his subconscious constantly biases everyone towards him. Obviously this leaves him completely unable to trust anyone's motivations, including his own wife and child.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I'm guessing the fire devil is both a primal fear and is just the guy from fire punch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If someone likes Chainsaw Man I would definitely recommend Fire Punch just with the warning that Fire Punch is MUCH MORE depressing and hosed up than Chainsaw Man. There's still some levity like a character that's obsessed with old action movies and yes, the motivation of one of the series' main villains involves Star Wars but there's a lot of bad stuff happening to a lot of characters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fire Punch also had the whole thing where it was never keeping a status quo for very long so you end up with stuff like Agni's cult setting up in the village and it just kind of falls to the wayside pretty quickly since he ends up killing most of them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

I don't like how unbothered Makima still is. Not sure if that's due to her nature as Control devil, but it just feels horribly like this is all as expected. Perhaps according to keikaku...

Have we actually ever seen her display real emotion other than at the movie theater?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Poor Kobeni

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chainsaw Man?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kobeni is a cosmic anomaly because it is so wildly improbable that she survives any given day.

She's a really, really good fighter. She just never actually wants to fight.
from Chapter 28

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She has a contract with the "Secret" Devil because, you know, people are terrified of secrets.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Shonen Jump app only does things that are Viz's "T/T+" rating but the website goes up to "M." So you can't use the app to read stuff like Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku, Golden Kamuy or Fire Punch. I assume this is a restriction mostly so they don't get hassled by Apple/Google. The "M" stuff also doesn't let you read the first/last three chapters for free unless you sign up for an account.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Raposa posted:

Holdup, holdup, so theres entire other series that I can read if I just go to the website and log in instead of using the app?

This makes it sound like you haven't read Fire Punch, which means you should read Fire Punch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw that something else that got announced is official merch. Plush Pochita when?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

We might get something for the anime on June 27th as that is when MAPPA is doing a special 10th anniversary event with a section on Chainsaw Man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Look at these loving panels

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/ChainsawManShot/status/1417812707009605634
Fujimoto draws Psycho Goreman and Nobara from JJK.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also there's no way it actually happens because everyone loves Nobara.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Still no word on the anime or Part 2's release date but they are releasing a new full color version.
https://twitter.com/chainsawmannews/status/1468539766849388544

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New 200 page one shot from Fujimoto coming 4/11.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not crying you're crying.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Does jump+ stuff show up on the viz app?

They do have some Jump+ stuff on there so if they decide to run it (which I don't see why they wouldn't) it will.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just Listen to the Song is short but cute.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm going to eat the concept of having to wait for new chapters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shonen Jump app they just rolled it like a new chapter

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What an eggcelent chapter

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the new chapter doesn't say I have to assume this isn't too long since the end of the first part.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Makima specifically says that Power is kept at a lower level than normal by regularly draining her blood.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Kiecaburn/status/1546951766993866752

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

symbolic posted:

is it possible that Nayuta did and he appears there because of her for whatever reason? i don't remember if it's ever specified how much time has passed between Part 1 and Part 2, but maybe she's high school age now and able to conceal her devil side? dunno, i'm just spitballing. kickass chapter as usual.

There can't be too much time passing between chapters because Denji turned 17 at the end of the first part so there's a limited amount of time he could be in school.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/KFC_ES/status/1549701666873778177

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of my favorite bits from the first part is right after that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Denji mentions at the very beginning of the series that he gets 300,000 yen per kill (as freelance/private) which is a couple grand USD. Also early on it seems like there are a lot of weak devils that still need to be killed so you could probably make a good living just killing one a week.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do wonder what Yoshida's game is because he has to have realized something is going on what with the sudden changes in personality.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

Reze has exploded her heart, and Quanxi recovered from being just a head. People have been tossing out that as a theory, but there's no basis for it in the manga. And considering Denji's heart survived re-entry... yeah, I'm skeptical on that line of thought until we get some evidence.

I have to imagine that Reze has some kind of carve out for it not counting when she explodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The bit where kobeni seems to have finally escaped the narrative and was absent for several chapters only for denji to show up at family burger like the furious hand of god to destroy her life, personally, is the funniest gag in a series with several extremely good gags

Starting with the full crew and cutting back to their dead bodies for their sections was absolutely brilliant. I'm sure Kobeni will be back because they explicitly laid out a mystery with her and her contract which seems to give her great physical ability with no real downside.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean, the funnier answer would be that everything that happens to her is completely unrelated to her contract.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the thing that kept the devils from regrowing arms was how when they were removed it wasn't like wounds or anything like that, it was just smooth skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hargrimm posted:

Just started my reread of part 1, and thought it was funny to see these consecutive pages from chapter 8 addressing both of these points. Definitely forgot the the OG bat devil fight also involved attempted distraction via endangered person in car, dealt with in a similar Gordian style:

Then that guy comes back and complains about Chainsaw Man doing that to him.