Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

anilEhilated posted:

Also I'm not sure what haymakers you used to play in the days of yore but here it was always Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, Scyther. No fire involved.
In the Base-Fossil format, Fossil Magmar was used as an annoyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

:stare: Alright, I leave for Darkrai raid hour and come back to around triple the audience participation I was expecting. Nice!

I'll only do a Pokemon once, even if it has a different card, so since I'm doing the starters for recording buffering, I won't be showing them again. You're free to edit your stuff at any time, I won't be picking suggestions for a week or so. Make sure to remember to name your deck too! Otherwise, good suggestions so far, definitely getting the wheels in my head turning.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

For something simple and effective you could do a Hitmonchan and Mewtwo (Promotional) haymaker-style dealie, I had fun with that

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Let's see a deck using Nidoking and Nidoqueen. Call it Power Couple.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Zapdos and Jolteon or Moltres and Flareon titled Let the Sparks Fly

Really liked this game, as infuriating as RNG based card games were to me as a small child. Might try to dig around and see if I still have my copy.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Also I'm not sure what haymakers you used to play in the days of yore but here it was always Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, Scyther. No fire involved.

Fossil Magmar had quite a few uses that could convince players to favor it over chan in their trinity. Scyther was in pretty much everyone's deck, and it had both a fighting resistance and fire weakness. Magmar could also stay on the line a bit longer than Hitmonchan (its smokescreen could force misses) thus allowing Wigglytuff-based decks more time to set-up. The poison chance on its Smog had a few uses in the meta as well. Notably, Mr. Mime also had that gimmick power that blocked attacks dealing over 20 damage, and Smog could slip under it.

Magmar was a bit more often favored at a shop I played at that ran tournaments using Japanese rules and expansions. There was a Zapdos in one of those sets (I think the second Gym expansion) that a lot of players would use instead of/alongside Electabuzz, and with Scyther being a given, that was enough resistance to fighting to make people playing the meta consider alternatives.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crosspeice posted:

:stare: Alright, I leave for Darkrai raid hour and come back to around triple the audience participation I was expecting. Nice!

I'll only do a Pokemon once, even if it has a different card, so since I'm doing the starters for recording buffering, I won't be showing them again. You're free to edit your stuff at any time, I won't be picking suggestions for a week or so. Make sure to remember to name your deck too! Otherwise, good suggestions so far, definitely getting the wheels in my head turning.

drat. Okay, I've updated my post. Too bad though, that Charizard is good memories incarnate.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Prepare for trouble with Arbok, and make it double with Weezing! That's right! Team Rocket's Rockin'!

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Ah, fond memories of this game indeed. I remember how I did my strategies, certainly, but I don't necessarily want to show those off. They... weren't very good.

There are plenty of mons I wanna see, but I'll go with the suggestion of Ninetales/Vulpix and Snorlax. Not too much mad synchronization, mostly because there's nothing quite as good as Venusaur/Blastoise's abilities for the fire types, but I rather like them both. We'll call it, I dunno, Illusory Wall, for the combination of a tricky/spiritual fox and a big ol wall of colorless kickassery.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

You gonna play the translated sequel when this is done? I hope the answer is yes, since I've never seen it and it has the fun as hell Rocket expansion.

That said... Kangaskhan and Seel/Seaking was my go to strategy. I always felt like the coin flips could be timed to basically always land heads once you got the timing down, but maybe that was just me being dumb as a kid. Still, I somehow managed to regularly do 70+ damage on Comet Punch (iirc that was Kangaskhan's base attack?), so let's go with that!

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

I am always in for a Crosspiece Pokemon LP, even a side game.

I still hold that this game has one of the catchiest Game Boy soundtracks. If you haven't listened to the default battle track, treat yourself.

As far as thread participation, let's do Alakazam and Machamp. Brains and Brawn! I want to see this game wrecked with a field of punchmachines that refuse to die.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

I am always in for a Crosspiece Pokemon LP, even a side game.
:same:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Glad to see this start up. I attempted to play this game as a child, got nowhere really, then came back and abused save states on the 3DS VC. I used a pretty static deck because, well, the early TCG is pretty broken around certain deck types.

Still, it was fun and a shame the sequel never came here. And it's even more of a shame they just never did one of these games again. There is a single player component of the official TCG Online but it's not quite the same and so far as I know hasn't been updated in years. Also bit of a crapshoot.
I don't think the TCG Online is even out in Japan and the ability to buy packs within the client (rather than with the free coins or booster pack codes) is still in beta in canada. For years.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Crosspeice posted:

Boo. I'm still floating my suggestion of displaying how op blastoise is by taking down the electric gym with blastoise + magikarp

For my legit vote triple evolution sounds fun

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
you should have started this 2 days earlier then you did. Oct 20 was the 23rd anniversary of the TCG releasing in Japan. :v:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

TheMcD posted:

Anyway, this is probably not in the spirit of the vote, but I really want to see a three-color Eeveelution deck. Three colors are of course suboptimal, but that's what we're here for, right?

I'll back this madman's idea.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
rock gym is piss easy, use scyther and pinsir and nothing else. Just 2 of each and all energy and trainers. I tended to use decks that would be made specifically to wreck that gym and anything that it threw at me, along with a charizard line for the extra nuke potential of 100 damage. Do you plan on saving the Legendary cards until the final updates in TCG1? Because they along with meowth GB are actually fairly interesting with Articuno being insanely useful.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Yeah, the GB card series(ones exclusive to this game) pretty much all have some highly random features beyond flip a coin. Terrible for strategy really, but fun and not something you can replicate with real cards.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Slippery42 posted:

Magmar was a bit more often favored at a shop I played at that ran tournaments using Japanese rules and expansions. There was a Zapdos in one of those sets (I think the second Gym expansion) that a lot of players would use instead of/alongside Electabuzz, and with Scyther being a given, that was enough resistance to fighting to make people playing the meta consider alternatives.
Rocket's Zapdos? That thing was broken as hell.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 24, 2019

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, the GB card series(ones exclusive to this game) pretty much all have some highly random features beyond flip a coin. Terrible for strategy really, but fun and not something you can replicate with real cards.

RNG Zapdos is the bestest fairest god of judgement.

e: Also someone mentioned a Charizard deck with no fire energy, pair it with Venusaur and burn things every turn(after setup).

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 24, 2019

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Oh, the slap fights I'd have with my sister about whether Double Colorless counts as both discards for Fire Spin.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I just remember that when I was a kid everyone awed over charizard and it's big huge damage numbers. Meanwhile Blastoise was sitting in the corner going "I can one shot drat near anything in the game on turn 2. Rules? What are rules?"

I didnt realize this until decades later when I replayed the gameboy game because while kid me had the blastoise card, I did not have warturtle.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Sorites posted:

Oh, the slap fights I'd have with my sister about whether Double Colorless counts as both discards for Fire Spin.

It doesn't.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FoolyCharged posted:

I just remember that when I was a kid everyone awed over charizard and it's big huge damage numbers. Meanwhile Blastoise was sitting in the corner going "I can one shot drat near anything in the game on turn 2. Rules? What are rules?"

I didnt realize this until decades later when I replayed the gameboy game because while kid me had the blastoise card, I did not have warturtle.

For some reason the Pokemon Breeder card seemed impossible for find for me in the Gameboy game.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Man, this game was my jam back in the day. Played it like crazy, and then learned of the sequel we never got. I finally got around to trying it out about a year ago, but I gotta finish it.

Jade Rider posted:

Let's see a deck using Nidoking and Nidoqueen. Call it Power Couple.

Backing this idea.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

No input on decks, but I found out that speed running this was a thing a few months ago which is both absolutely mindblowing and oddly compelling to watch.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've been looking forward to this :D. As for Pokemon, I haven't seen anyone request a Jynx. Is there a reason why? Aside from the obvious meta reason.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

ItBreathes posted:

No input on decks, but I found out that speed running this was a thing a few months ago which is both absolutely mindblowing and oddly compelling to watch.

If it exists, there will be a speedrunning community for it.

Ring Fit Adventure AGDQ when.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

BisbyWorl posted:

If it exists, there will be a speedrunning community for it.

Ring Fit Adventure AGDQ when.

Ask TieTuesday, he has been streaming it and wants to make a speed running group for it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Are we still voting? Scyther and Wigglytuff because I need that nostalgia hit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Farfetched

Because he was the best.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 01: Playing the Pokemon Trading Card Game (tm)

So is this LP the first time you've experienced the Pokemon TCG? Don't you worry now, here's the comprehensive list of every aspect of the game, so you'll know how to play with the players. First, we'll start with the board and setting up a game.

First, a deck is comprised of 60 cards, no more, no less, and one of those cards MUST be a Pokemon. There's a lot of different cards, but they're divided into Pokemon, Trainers and Energy, and a balanced deck usually has a similar chunk of each, but of course it'll vary depending on what you're using. Each player shuffles the opponent's deck, and they you draw 7 cards from your deck. If you didn't draw a Basic Pokemon, then you show your hand to your opponent, shuffle your deck and draw again, repeating until you have one to place down. Every time you do this, it's a mulligan, and your opponent has the option to draw an extra card. Some of these things won't apply to the TCG GBC games, this is a more general overview.

You select a Basic to go into the middle, that's your Active Pokemon, the one that can attack. If you have more Basic Pokemon, you can place them on the Bench, which has a max of 5 spaces, but that's optional. Then flip a coin to see who decided who should go first. Each player has their own coin and going first is usually the best option, you can set up first, you can attack first, though you aren't able to attack on the very first turn, but your opponent can attack on their first turn, if they went second.

Both players are unable to evolve Pokemon on their first turn. With that all set up, take the first 1-6 cards from the top of your deck and put them on the side as prizes, face down. The main objective is to knock out your opponent's Pokemon and draw all your prize cards, though there's 2 other win conditions. Each Pokemon you knock out awards 1 prize card, though some later cards like EX and GX award 2 and Tag Teams award 3!!!

Anyway, at the start of your turn, draw a card, you can have as many cards in your hand as you want. You can place down as many Basic cards as you have room, evolve as many Pokemon as you're able past the first turn, and play as many Trainer cards as you'd like. You can only place 1 energy, basic or special, per turn, unless Pokemon or card effects allow you otherwise, and certain Trainers are Supporter cards, which can also only be played once per turn. No matter what you do, if you attack, your turn ends, but of course there's always a bunch of effects and abilities and cards that let you get around that or whatever.

There's also Stadium cards that you place in the side center that stay on the field with various effects and can only be discarded by move effects or if another stadium is played. All cards are one use only unless specified otherwise and are placed in the discard pile, face up, which both players can look through at any time. There are also specific cards like Prism cards, or specific move effects that put cards in the Lost Zone, which can never be obtained for the rest of the duel, but that's only a thing in specific rotations.

Alright, that's everything on the board, but what about the cards themselves? For every card except basic energy, you can only ever have up to 4 in one deck but as mentioned, one of the cards in a deck MUST be a Pokemon, there actually are some decks out there that are solely energy and 4 Pokemon, they are hilarious. Anyway, let's go over every aspect of a Pokemon card.

All Pokemon cards have rad artwork, so long as it's not stock Sugimori artwork on a plain background. You have the HP amount, damage is always done in multiples of 10, with specific physical counters to track the damage. Each Pokemon has one type of which all of their attacks are of that type, even if it uses a different energy. You need to attach the requisite amount of energy to that card to use that attack, with specific symbols being that type's energy, with the star, identical to the one under retreat cost, is Colourless energy, which can be any basic or special energy. Most attacks do set damage, while others require you to flip a coin for additional damage or another secondary effect, like a status condition. Some moves have you do something before or even after you attack, such as discarding 2 energy cards BEFORE using Fire Spin. Note that it doesn't specify what energy to discard, but it has to be 2 energy cards, not 2 energy total.

Pokemon Powers have varying specific effects that are either passive, ones you can use as many times as you like before you attack, or ones you specifically have to trigger, usually the once during a turn. Some Pokemon will just have two moves with no effects, others will have effects but do no damage, and some are a mix of effects, Poke Powers, no damage, or all of them. Definitely read each card carefully so you know exactly what a card does. There's usually not much room for rule wiggling.

Next is the weakness, a Pokemon will take double damage from an opponent of that type, again, even if the move uses different energy. Resistance is the same, but is usually by a specific amount and while every Pokemon has a weakness, not all have a resistance, or even a retreat cost, the amount of energy you need to discard to switch this Pokemon with something else in the bench. Note that this time it's just amount of energy, not energy cards, it ranges from 0-4, so there's some very hefty mons out there. And then the various text on the bottom of the card is flavour, levels don't apply, moves do the same damage no matter the evolution or stat difference or what have you.

Lastly, let's go over the specifics of a few other things, like types, win conditions and special conditions. There's only 7 types in the game, Grass, Water, Fire, Lightning, Fighting, Psychic and Colourless, with all but the last having an associated basic energy with it. This crunches down some other types, Rock and Ground become Fighting, Poison usually becomes Grass, but can be Psychic, while Ghost is also Psychic. Flying and Dragon are Colourless, Ice is Water and Bug is Grass. When Dark and Steel were introduced, they became their own types, Darkness and Metal, as well as their own energy, as did Fairy. Dragon took their time to get a type, but not their own energy.

Special conditions are status effects, of which there's 5, Poison, Burn, Confusion, Asleep, Paralyzed. Of those 5, only 2 can be stacked with others, Poison and Burn, since they have specific tokens, while the others rotate the card a specific way. Poison deals 10 damage between turns, Burn has a coin flip, heads, no damage, tails, 20 damage, this condition was introduced later on. Asleep Pokemon are turned counterclockwise and inbetween each turn, if the coin flip is heads, it wakes up, or stays asleep if tails.

Confused Pokemon are turned upside down and if it tries to attack, it flips a coin, heads, the attack occurs, but tails makes the Pokemon deal 20 damage to itself and the turn ends. You also have to flip a coin for retreating, AFTER discarding the energy and if it's tails you don't do anything. This was later dropped, with confusion now doing 30 damage and retreating is the same as any other Pokemon. Finally, a paralyzed Pokemon cannot attack or retreat for one turn, being cured at the end of the turn.

So with all these tools, how exactly do you win? Well, if you claim all your prizes, you win. If you knock out your opponent's active Pokemon and they have no bench Pokemon to replace it, you win. And if your opponent is unable to draw a card at the start of the turn due to having no cards left in their deck, you win. Overall, this game is pretty simple, but the variety of Pokemon and effects and strategies and decks, make it an absolute blast to play. Would definitely recommend it! Or, well, it's quite expensive to keep up, so maybe just play these games?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 2: Big Explosions

Fire Club

Why me? I'm Jessica of the Fighting Club. Oh! You must be Marco. I heard about you from Mitch. Defeating you must be more fun than training! OK! A single match with 4 prizes. Let's go for it!

We're using a revamped Charmander deck, so might as well fight Fire with Fire. And since one of the Fighting members is here, let's try things out! Charmeleon, and Charizard I guess, is the main attacker, but having a backup, like Magmar is useful for building up a Charmander, or when you don't draw one.

Some Basic mons have Powers, but they're, uh, not very good.

Anyway, ow, every character has a specific deck that revolves around some... interesting strategies. So we'll go over them and see how effective they are. This one kinda works? It's a bunch of Colourless and Fighting mons that can evolve and deal big damage with Fighting Energy, with some Pluspowers and Potions for good measure. So long as she doesn't get up Machamp you should be fine.

Pokemon Breeder lets you skimp on a few mid evolution cards, so we only have 2 Charmeleon, since as long as you have Charizard in your hand, very easy to get with Computer Search or Pokeball, and have a Charmander on the bench for 1 turn, you can use this card and skip right to the good stuff. We'll be using it a lot, but onto the star of the show, nay, the series.

Here's the biggest and best card in the TCG, the one everyone clamours over, the one that sells to the highest bidder and the one that's... pretty drat rubbish. This card has the biggest numbers with no modifiers and due to being a goddamn Charizard, is incredibly sought after. Your old card collection is most definitely worthless unless they're still sealed in booster packs, but good condition Charizard sells for thousands of dollars, to those willing to buy them.

As for the card itself, too slow and way too big of a drawback. You'd think its Power would help it be fueled by DCEs and fire off attacks all day, but you discard two energy cards, not two basic, so it'll only take you so far. Other cards will deal more damage over a shorter period of time, it even gets outpaced by its previous form! Charmeleon can attack for 50 damage every turn if you get constant energy, which very quickly adds up. Due to no real Fire energy acceleration, Charizard is just a pretty display item that sees no real use.

Cool. This Machoke is becoming quite a problem, especially if it evolves. But there's one card that can take it down! Uh, not yet, still charging...

There we go, as easy as that! Now to wait a couple turns until I can do it again.

But here's Charizard's main issue, are we really going to spend 2 turns and then discard 2 energy just to deal 70 overkill damage to a Rattata? I think my time's better spent building up a Charmeleon.

There are some cards you just don't think about because they're so unbelievably ubiquitous, but they should still be highlighted. This is why no one gives a poo poo about big heavy retreat costs until right at the end of the game. If you have some big boys, you should have 4 Switches, their utility is practically unmatched aside from the odd Poke Power.

But hey, she only got Primeape up, which can also use Tantrum for an extra energy, dealing 50 damage and confusing it if tails. Not a bad card, honestly, since it's pretty cheap to retreat.

Most wins will net 2 booster packs, which, since we've gotten every card in the game, is practically useless, but that's okay.

LAD: Come back and see me when you collect a lot of energy cards! Then... I'll let you in on a secret!

Really should be able to trigger this guy by now, but I guess not. Later then!

Trading Cards get together for heated duels! Join the fiery fun! 4 Prizes! Let's heat it up!

Fellas, is it gay to enjoy heated card games with your bros? Anyway, Cubone is a bitch because it just keeps crying and giving itself, in essence, a +20 HP boost. Then when you chip it down, it then uses Rage and can do 40 damage if it's nearly dead. Not fun.

drat, the Pokeball is a great card, letting you choose any Pokemon in your deck, but only if you get heads. You can imagine how many times this might screw you over. Gust of Wind is also a great card, just choose a specific mon to be dragged in so you can kill it before it's ready, or if you need a cheap kill for the last prize.

Well gently caress. This is the one downside of running few Pokemon, you don't draw into them and don't get anything for the bench. Despite Pokeballs and Computer Search and Oaks and Bills, I never drew another Basic. Sucks, right?

However, death is just a very slight inconvenience, since you can fight any trainer an infinite amount of times, there's very little in differing dialogue or any real story progression outside of picking up medals. It's fine to die, you just need to draw a better hand next time.

Since Dodrio only has Rage for 3 energy, if we build up Charizard and one shot, there's no risk. It can be useful, though, its Poke Power, Retreat Aid, reduces all retreat by 1 while it's on your bench.

Beautiful. We've seen all the interesting parts of John's deck, he doesn't even have a Marowak! He fuels a bunch of Colourless Pokemon with DCEs and equal Fire and Fighting energy and has a lot of drawing power, along with Pluspower and Gust of Wind to knock out key threats. Uh, you know, I'm saying this like the AI is smart enough to pull this stuff off. They have the tools, but not the hands to use them.

Hell yeah, it's very easy to burn through your entire deck getting the right components, so we'll build up a Charmeleon since Charizard is nearly spent.

Still, even if you don't want to endlessly charge up Charizard, it makes a nice meaty wall since 120HP is the max in the game. I know, crazy how that's been doubled for a long time now.

Let's heat it up again!

If you have Pokemon Fever, duel with me!!! A single match with 4 prizes! Come on, duel me!

Not exactly the best start, that's why Magmar is a good backup, does a lot of damage for not too much energy. Though since I've been powering up Charizard to live my childhood from 20 years ago, I haven't been really using it. Being on similar HP to Charmander doesn't do it too many favours either, but it's a potentially good early game option.

Because of how random this game is, sometimes the only time we'll fight someone it'll be as short and pathetic as this. Womp womp. We can pull this off by turn 2 if we get lucky with DCEs, but turn 3 with a Pokemon Breeder is fine by me.

And as you'd expect from the deck name, Adam has 22 goddamn Fire energy and practically every Fire type in the game for using Flamethrower with. With 4 DCEs, Energy Retrieval and a Charizard, you'd better watch out! But with only 3 Bill, he has a habit of getting a little stuck if you knock a mon or two out.

Fire Pokemon! OK! Let's duel!!! A 4-prize match! Here we go! Fire Pokemon!

Nice Fire Pokemon, doofus.

God DCEs are so good. Charizard really shines in short battles where you're one shotting the freshly evolved enemy.

Jonathan's deck is mostly Colourless that are fueled by Fire energy, with a bunch of Basics and Ninetales to fuel Wigglytuff's bench dependant attack. Both the Ninetales and the Pidgeot he uses are exclusive to this game, we saw Ninetails, so we'll go over that. It forces the opponent to put all their Basic and Evolution cards into their deck and randomly draw the same amount of Basic and Evolution cards, which is pretty silly to try irl. And for 3 Fire energy, flip EIGHT coins and do 10 damage per heads. Not too bad, honestly.

Then let's begin our duel! We'll play with 6 prizes! If you win, I'll give you a medal! Come on! Let's start the duel!

:siren: Club Master Duel :siren:

It's me, Dr. Mason. have you collected many cards? I have some information about Ken's deck - he's the master of the Fire Club. His deck consists of Fire Pokemon and Colorless Pokemon! Pit a Water Pokemon against the Fire Pokemon and a Fighting Pokemon against the Colorless Pokemon. Study the decks from the Water and Fighting Medal Deck Machines! Here's a gift for you! It's a Mystery booster pack! Look closely at the cards you just received. You should be able to come up with a winning strategy! Mason Laboratory Doctor Mason ;)

Alright, great start... Sleep can be bad if you're unlucky, as you flip a coin between each turn, so hopefully it happens before your turn, or the enemy will just put you to sleep again. Still, Jigglypuff is whatever, but it lets him build up his bench, which has some real nasty stuff.

Annoying, but I've been building up a Charmeleon, so we'll be just fine.

He has four Jigglypuff, with three of them being our first Promotional Card. We'll go over them when we obtain them, just know that most of them are pretty rubbish, but gotta collect 'em all.

Now comes the real problem. Of course Chansey has the highest HP of all Basics, it can stall an opponent if you get lucky, and then smacks the hell out of them unless they're similarly bulky. If without Double-Edge, it'll quite happily sit there for a long time and let you set other things up, and is definitely a card we'll see a lot.

Still, Ken's deck is full of Pokemon with hard hitting tactics that don't work out too well if you've already damaged them. The AI definitely prioritizes KOs over self-preservation. And while the nuke is a waste, don't really have a choice.

At least by nuking his bench, Wigglytuff is much less dangerous. Filling up the bench is easy, getting 3 energy is easy as Colourless, and doing 60 damage a turn is incredible. Wigglytuff is one of the best mons in the game, and it's always something to watch out for with AIs that love shoving down any Basic they come across. Guaranteed Sleep is also very powerful while you're waiting for the setup, so better not, heh, SLEEP on this mon. Alright, we're done here.

So, uh, we never saw a Fire type, he does have them, honest! His main attackers otherwise are Arcanine and Magmar, with enough defensive Trainer utility in Potion, Recycle and Energy Retrieval, to ensure he can keep firing off big hits and recovering from the endless Double-Edge. But as you're seeing right now, it's a lot of luck whether we actually see a strategy get pulled off, the AI is just as luck beholden as you are.

With this, you're a little closer to the Legendary Pokemon Cards! Here, take this, too! I hope it will help you out!

How thematic, the legendary Pokemon aren't special cards or anything, you can pull them out of booster packs if you're lucky. It's Promotional Cards that are hard to get ahold of.

Grass Club

Onto the next deck, featuring Venusaur and one very special guest! Oh I'm excited for this one.

Not all trades are for Promotional Cards, some are just bog standard. It's alright, I guess, but nothing really special, especially with the chance of healing, bleh.

Who? The Master of the Grass Club? Do you mean Nikki? Nikki's out. I need a break. Do you want to play the Pokemon Trading Card Game with me? OK! A single match with 4 prizes. Let's start!

I hate Pokeballs so much...

This is a fight you won't win. Bulbasaur takes a little to get going, needing 2 Grass energy, but can subsist with Leech Seed just fine.

Ivysaur also has pretty good damage, Vine Whip for an immediate 30, or Poisonpowder for 20, to slowly whittle away at opponents. Poison does 10 damage between each turn, so it technically outdamages Vine Whip by 10 by the time it gets back to your turn.

Now we're getting to the good stuff. Venusaur doesn't have the raw power of Charizard, or the broken acceleration of Blastoise, but it's still very helpful when you have a lot of Grass energy on the field. Move onto a specific Pokemon to launch a devastating attack, shift it off something that's about to die, or just spread it around so anything can attack at any point. It means you can evolve a Venusaur in the background, while still attacking with your Active and then being able to swap to Venusaur for nice consistent damage and to take a few hits.

Even on a dinky little screen, most mechanics are pretty simple to use, using this stuff is a lot of fun! It lets a real strong fighter loose, but we'll see exactly what that does in a moment.

Humph! It's not much of a break if I lose.

Brittany has a weird deck, it's called Etcetera for a reason, since it uses every type except Water and Colourless, with energy to match! This does mean she can catch you by surprise, but she has no evolutions, so only Magmar is a consistent threat, but with only one, what are the chances you'll see it? She can't annoy you with Tangela if she keeps drawing Psychic energy.

Got another Fighting member, and boy is he a pain is the rear end. If he gets another Fire energy, we're screwed, since I have nothing on the bench, as you can see.

Boy did I get lucky, but losing is such a non-issue that it's whatever.

Oh poo poo, it's time for the real Haymaker to start. That's what Micheal's kinda emulates, just a bunch of hard hiting Basics, with Primeape to keep the Fighting theme afloat. One energy for 20 damage is just great, especially with that bulk, with Special Punch being worked towards for even more damage! Notable to take down Fighting weak Wigglytuff, we'll be seeing more of the Haymaker archetype later, Micheal even has another one with Electabuzz.

We're all set up, so it should be a clean sweep from there. But what if we didn't want to take any damage in the process? After all, I have some DCEs, and Micheal has plenty of bulky mons like Hitmonlee and Kangaskhan as well.

Venusaur's partner in crime, though it's so easy to use in any deck with a lot of energy, if you like coin flips of course. Still, with 4 DCEs, that's still an average of EIGHTY damage, along with anything else you can add. With Venusaur it's incredibly easy to just get it set up, attack with Solarbeam in the meantime, then transfer everything over, Switch, and go to town. It's so dumb, it's so fun, no Psychic energy required.

Coin flips are a pain, though you can influence them in a way, but it's not something I fancy doing. We'll go over it later, since this will be far from the last time we get flipping.

Oops! Before I go... since it's the rule, take this! I'm heading back to the Fighting Club. Bye! See you again.

Onto the rest of the Grass Club with an... interesting deck. Using the Eeveelutions for different elements, with Porygon to change the opponent's weaknesses. Seems an interesting idea... each Eeveelution has an exclusive card to this game, though this Jolteon is not that.

Thankfully evolving removes the changed weakness, but if Quick Attack had gotten heads and been boosted to 30 damage, we would've lost, again no bench.

Charizard? Who's that?

Porygon does absolutely no damage, just changes weaknesses and resistances, which is pointless with only 30HP. It's probably one of the worst cards in the game, they did my pointy boy dirty.

I can't believe I could lose... I need to practice more...

I don't think she's here at the club at the moment. Would you like to take care of the plants? We could duel with cards if you prefer... we'll play a single match with 4 prizes. Don't take me lightly just because I'm a girl!

This is what happens when I never get to go first.

Still, with a couple of lucky rolls, we can eke past it. It's a bulky bitch with paralysis and confusion, man I hate this card. Thankfully only Poison can be stacked onto another special condition, since it has a specific token, while the others require card rotating.

Trader is interesting to help get the right things you need, but other cards, even draw supporters help with that, so it depends if you have the space for it, and you usually don't. Kristen has basically every Grass type, or at least the ones that aren't primarily Bug or Poison in the main game, but no draw supporters, so while she could get all of her 3 stage evolutions up, she probably won't naturally get to them. Only Venusaur does consistent damage anyway.

But hey, guess what time it is. Or, uh, let's try that again...

GUESS WHAT TIME IT IS!!!

I believe Nikki is at Ishihara's House. Maybe you should go meet her there, since she's late getting back.

for me? Oh my... I'm very sorry to keep you waiting. I was doing a little research here. I assume you would like to duel? I only duel at the club. I'm sorry, but could you meet me at the Grass Club? I will head back to the Grass Club and wait for you there.

You are indeed the number 1 Pokemon Trading Card Collector.

Oh, no! You give me too much credit... if you need to research anything, please come see me again!

Thank you very much, Ishihara. If you will excuse me...

I'm sorry I kept you waiting. Shall we duel? Shall we play with 6 prizes? Please go easy on me.

Club Master Duel

Marco, it's me, Doctor Mason. Have you won many Master Medals? I have some information for you about Nikki's deck - she's the Master of the Grass Club. You must be wary of Exeggutor's Big Eggsplosion in Nikki's deck. Use your Fire Pokémon to knock out Exeggcute and Exeggutor at an early stage! I suggest you study the deck from the Fire Medal Deck Machine. I'll give you a booster pack that should contain a lot of Fire Pokemon. Did it have a lot of Fire Pokémon (the weakness of Grass Pokemon)? Mason Laboratory Doctor Mason ;)

Well she got right into it, yes she's using the same strategy as us. I've only played this game a couple times, and I don't want to restrict myself with what I use, so who cares, it's a mirror match! Though she's using it just a bit too early.

Because when Exeggutor gets going, there's no survivors.

God that's so good! Maybe we can do better... she also has the Oddish line, as well as some Psychic energy and Pokemon Breeder. So if you let her set up, she will absolutely go off, but if you knock out her Bulbasaur nice and early, she'll get a bit stuck on energy, especially with no DCEs.

Admittedly, even some regular GX cards don't reach that amount of damage regularly.

Maybe one day you will inherit the Legendary Pokemon Cards. Please allow me to give you this Grass Medal.

My duel with you was... quite fun! Please allow me to duel you again!

Rival Ronald

So you won the second Medal? You must have been really lucky! I'll see how good you really are! Come on, let's duel! We'll play with 6 prizes! If you win, I'll give you a really rare card!

Ah crap this is the worst thing he could start off with. Ronald actually does the Blue surprise of appearing when you least expect it... not that you need to heal your Pokemon between fights.

Alright, time to let Venusaur shine!

Ah dammit he keeps drawing Fire energy. Well, Exeggutor can save us. Anyway, Ronald will always challenge you after getting your second medal and his deck is a mix of Fire and Water, with a Cubone line and 8 Fighting energy for... some reason. He focuses a bit more on the Water side, but doesn't have the full evolution lines of the starters. That actually works in his favour for Charmander, but since he only has the one Prof. Oak, his draw power is pretty bad, so you should be fine. Should.

We should be fine now, since Lapras is a good card, but only if you stack the energy to boost Water Gun. Still, this is supposed to be a Venusaur deck, so let's show it off one more time.

Ah, that's the stuff! Marowak can call for Basic mons for 3 energy, which seems a little much, but can also throw two bones for 30 damage per head. Meh.

I... I wasn't really trying that hard! Well, a loss is a loss, so I'll have to give you this card.

Our first of many promos we'll obtain. Most of them are bad, but there are definitely some to highlight. You can usually get one through the main story, but in the postgame an event opens up that lets you get any promos as often as you like, including any you miss, such as this one, as you only get the one chance to get it from this fight!

You can see it's not that amazing, but it was one of the first cards ever available, being in the October 1996 issue of CoroCoro along with a Pikachu promo, which we'll get later. It became available in English if you mailed proof of purchase of the first Pokemon Movie soundtrack. Wow.

Next time, it's our first big splash, in more than one way!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 31, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yessss, Venusaur/Exeggutor! :getin:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

If you haven't listened to the sound track in this game, give it a listen! It's surprisingly good for a Game Boy Color game!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

BlackPersona posted:

If you haven't listened to the sound track in this game, give it a listen! It's surprisingly good for a Game Boy Color game!

Agreed, that Club Master track is a banger.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
All right, I have a serious question - why would anyone ever set up with more then 1 prize? You set up one prize, knock out an opponent once and you win. Why would you pick more and put yourself at a disadvantage?

I remember Charizard going around for uh... 13 USD here in Poland. Which was a fuckton of money for someone 7 years old in '97 gotta say. I remember collecting the cards, but since me and my friends were all 7-8yo, we never actually made the decks or played, because gently caress the strategies, we couldn't figure out the rules since everything was in English. I remember trying to teach my mom to play but she never got the hang of things. However reading about this through LP makes me want to play some. Is there a Showdown for the TCG or something like that? I am 100% sure that the scene around here is still non-existant as I've never seen any cards in the game shops around here.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kikas posted:

All right, I have a serious question - why would anyone ever set up with more then 1 prize? You set up one prize, knock out an opponent once and you win. Why would you pick more and put yourself at a disadvantage?

Both players have the same number of prizes; you'd agree the number before the match (official formats are four or six usually).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kikas posted:

I remember Charizard going around for uh... 13 USD here in Poland. Which was a fuckton of money for someone 7 years old in '97 gotta say. I remember collecting the cards, but since me and my friends were all 7-8yo, we never actually made the decks or played, because gently caress the strategies, we couldn't figure out the rules since everything was in English. I remember trying to teach my mom to play but she never got the hang of things. However reading about this through LP makes me want to play some. Is there a Showdown for the TCG or something like that? I am 100% sure that the scene around here is still non-existant as I've never seen any cards in the game shops around here.

Like the other guy said, you both lay down the same number. It's like sets in tennis where you agree in advance on how long you want it to last.

As the last update showed, 2 prize games tend to be much more rng than 6 prize games because there's less room for recovery if you dont immediately get the cards you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Ah okay, thanks. This makes a lot more sense now.