Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LiefKatano posted:

These guys are oddly upbeat for you stopping their takeover.

And doing so successfully.

I don't think they care much about the whole "bad guy" thing, most of them just seem to want a good time playing card games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Kind of seems like the AI decks are more cohesive and sensible now.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
This promo Dugtrio is crazy. Not that it seems too powerful but... a tanky Dugtrio? Insanity.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah most of the GRs don't seem particularly bad, especially on their own turf... They seemed more intimidating when they were on the other island.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Got an idea for a deck for ya, if you're still taking them. If it hasn't been suggested yet, the Com-Mon deck. A deck consisting at it's core

Rattata
Raticate
Pidgey
Pidgeotto
Pidgeot

As the main pokemon you play in it. Everything else is your call, but considering they're the earliest pokemon you encounter (sans starter) and probably the most common you find in the wilds...

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yep, someone beat you to it, we used it in the first game, for best inspiration, have a gander at the list of Dark Pokemon, it's still pretty likely you'll pick a new one.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Hmmmm...then perhaps a split deck. Calling it Brushfire and having it be a split deck between Dark Venusaur and Dark Ninetails as the key cards. Other cards being up to your descression to make it work, of course.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
I'm gonna throw out Dark Clefable and Dark Gengar, because they seem like a pair of tricksters up to no good.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Randalor posted:

I'm sad that Dark Wigglytuff isn't in the game,so I stead I'll say Wigglytuff, Dark Gengar and Dark Clefable and call it Space Invaders. I mean, Gengar looks like an evil Clefable as it is, so might as well go with all three.

ParTwo posted:

I'm gonna throw out Dark Clefable and Dark Gengar, because they seem like a pair of tricksters up to no good.

We demand our Space Invaders deck. I guess you can leave out the Wigglytuff if you can't make him fit (and I'm incredibly sad that the game doesn't have Dark Wigglytuff, just for the art)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

These GR guys seem pretty chill at home for a group of people who invaded another island, stole all their pokemon cards (???), locked a load of people up and kidnapped a bunch of others

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ilmucche posted:

These GR guys seem pretty chill at home for a group of people who invaded another island, stole all their pokemon cards (???), locked a load of people up and kidnapped a bunch of others

I guess once you've kidnapped a bunch of people by beating them at card games it's hard to take life especially seriously.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I took it all as "they're CUH-RAZY" because they're in, like, a lava cavern base and talking about cooking while the other island hangs out at like a pool and just plays card games like normal people

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Having played the game I have no idea what's up with Team GR, their island and organisation only gets more baffling as you play.

Also, when you play against the moewth guy, can you try to build a good deck that utilises one of the meowths abilities? I just couldn't figure out a way to use that cat.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

Randalor posted:

We demand our Space Invaders deck. I guess you can leave out the Wigglytuff if you can't make him fit (and I'm incredibly sad that the game doesn't have Dark Wigglytuff, just for the art)

:downs: I sure forgot to check if that deck was already suggested, but I'm all for it regardless.

I was tempted to throw Dark Fearow in as a partner for Clefable because that card seems funny to me, but maybe just do the Dark Gengar/Clefable as one pair and Wigglytuff/Dark Fearow as another? I dunno.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 9: Fight, Fight, Fight!

Wait a minute, this isn't part of the original 151, what's this unoriginal garbage doing in my trading card game??? Indeed, there are some Gen 2 Pokemon in this game, but just as promos, this, along with a Togepi, were the first Gen 2 cards released, both in the June 1999 issue of CoroCoro and through Pokemon League tournaments in Dec 2000 in English. If you look closely you can see the subtle card design differences they'd introduce in the new set 6 months after these promos. You'd also have to wait then to get an Azumarill card, which also isn't in this game.

TCG Island Challenge Cup

Oh yay, a Pikachu card, makes me super enthused to go for it.

We'll use the Blastoise deck for this since it gets this over with as soon as possible. And hey, we haven't faced this guy yet in this game.

And it's over, least we don't have to fight him later! Robert uses Fossil Gengar to move damage counters around, as well as Wigglytuff and Fossil Hypno, to really punish those with big benches. Of course, with only 2 Bills and a bunch of random Trainer cards, it's practically impossible for the AI to actually get its act together.

Who's next?

Ah, this guy again. You can see how quickly south this is about to go for him.

This deck is so effortless, but even with the 4 Squirtle handicap, Rain Dance is just that good.

Ooh this is new. By the time the second cup goes live we've rescued all of the Club Masters except for Mitch, but this cup sticks around until the Psychic Fort, so he can be included in this line up. Or not, who knows.

Club Master Duel

Even with 6 prizes to chew through, this shouldn't take too long.

Using Dark Wartortle isn't a great idea due to Doubleslap being lame... having to shuffle all Trainer cards away also doesn't help, but what are the chances he'll do enough damage to knock out my only Active mon?

...oh. poo poo. Well whatever, the Recharge Pikachu is pretty alright, but we've used it before.

Imakuni?

What is it? Oh, it's you! You're persistent! Are those your cards? Would you like a card battle? Don't be shy. You'd like to have a duel with me, wouldn't you? Have I trained enough? We'll see! 6 prize cards! We're battling seriously!!

Remember Imakuni?? He's back, in duel form! As always he loves using his Imakuni? card to confuse his own Pokemon.

Truly he is a maverick of the ages.

Anyway, I think this will about do it. Due to Gambler, he's got pretty much no cards, so he's stuck and getting picked off one by one.

His deck is as weird as you'd expect though it does have some offense in Fossil Golduck and Vending Slowbro, which can attack while asleep! Otherwise he has no real draw support aside from Gambler, you can see how that worked out, as well as Poke Flute and Goop Gas Attack, which stop Poke Powers for an entire turn. It's functional, which is the best thing you can say about it.

If I give you these booster packs, promise not to tell anyone I lost! Well, then. I guess I'll continue to wander around.

Alright, that'll do for now, we could fight Imakuni? for a few more exclusive promo cards, but I can't be bothered. Defeating Imakuni? 3 and then 6 times will net you 2 more Imakuni? cards, while defeating him 3 and 9 times nets you a Promo Farfetch'd.

This is the same Leek Slap Farfetch'd we've used before and features artwork by Tomokazu Komiya, a regular TCG illustrator, as well as one of the artists for the Pokemon Tales manga, short kids stories focusing on individual Pokemon, some of which were even translated by Viz! This card was available in the Apr 1998 issue of CoroCoro.

GR Fighting Fort

Ah what, there's no side room? But what about the trade? WHAT ABOUT THE TRADE???

I'm Brutus, the Leader of Team GR's Fighting Fortress! I'd like to fight you immediately, but I shall first test your might! Meet some pupils of mine. Tony!

Good day. I am Tony!

Grace!

Afternoon. I'm Grace!

Confront these two fighters and win. However... you'll need to find and fight them inside our labyrinth. If you can defeat both pupils, I'll accept your duel challenge. If you succeed and defeat me, I'll hand over the GR Fighting coin. With this coin, you may open the doors behind me. Going through that doorway will put you 1 step closer to the GR Castle. Well, what are you waiting for? Go on and fight my two pupils!

Dungeon crawling? In my trading card game? It's more likely than you think.

Cool, this basement room seems unimportant, so let's head in properly.

We only see a square of the labyrinth at a time, so get to mapping, it'll be very important!

One important thing to map will be the invisible pitfalls! They dump you in the basement room and you'll have to start all over again. And they won't stay uncovered.

There's a few chests scattered around but only contain a booster pack, so it's not a massive deal if you get them.

Here's a map of the entire place that I stitched together and added the pitfalls and chests all by myself. I don't know why I did this, it took like 30 minutes and I'm a little scared of what this lockdown is doing to me. You're welcome!

These two chests are right next to each other, nice and easy.

Without a map this place is kinda confusing, however only 3 squares are identical to another. The two by each entrance are the same, so you'll never really mix those up, and the other two pairs have one crucial difference, one has a pitfall, one does not.

It is I, Tony, of Team GR's Fighting Fortress! I don't negotiate! It's pointless! I'd much rather fight with cards! I just loathe people who try to drain my spirit or energy!! I hate all decks with Energy Removal and Super Energy Removal cards!! If your deck includes some of those cards, I won't fight you! Otherwise I'll be stuck using weak moves or doing nothing at all. I'll wager the Club Master here that you'll lose in a duel with me! Now allow me to begin this fight, MINTO!!!! 4 prize cards, noooow! Let's go, let's go, LET'S GOOO!!!

Team GR Duel

This restriction works fine since most of my decks don't use energy removal! I like using it, but I usually don't have space. The Bad Dragon deck is back and, well, bad. No, the 90s bad. So good. Not bad.

Good thing I never really switch! I always like leaving stuff in to pad while I build something in the back.

This is actually a great opportunity since the Promo Golem can't really deal damage to Dark Charizard. So let's poke it a bit while we build up.

So Charizard was one of the biggest cards in the Base set, and is still crazy expensive to this day. It wasn't a great card though, as it was incredibly slow and didn't have much to deal with small mons without doing ludicrous overkill damage. Dark Charizard kinda helps with that since it's not completely helpless, but also doesn't do a lot if you don't want to use Continuous Fireball. That move, however, requires you to be a little lucky and get as many heads as you need to knock your opponent out. Too few and you'll probably get KOed since you're pretty fragile compared to Base Charizard. But too many heads and you'll lose all your energy and have to start from scratch. It's risky, but can also oneshot practically everything with 3 energy. If you're lucky.

Wow this was the perfect example of Dark Charizard, it rolled low every time and was able to one shot all the Lickitung. Because this dude had a lot of Lickitung. He moans about not being able to do big attacks, but he doesn't need much energy for Dark Dugtrio and the AI would never use the full potential of Promo Golem's Rock Blast, preferring instead to build up something in the back, leaving it with the cheap Rollout. He has a couple of Breeders to help, as well as Defenders so he can be nice and slow and paralyze you lots with Lickitung. Hypocrite.

Gah ha ha haaa!! Beaten, beaten! I was beaten! I lose the gamble, which means I lost the Club Master as well!!

It seems my training wasn't good enough to avoid capture. This is my expression of my gratitude. Please accept it!

:cool: Porygon is... interesting. It has an actual attack, which puts it above the Porygon we used last game, though Rocket Porygon has Psybeam. It has a leg up over Rocket Porygon by also changing its own resistance as well as the opponent's weakness to better level the field, since it's still super fragile. This was released alongside Hungry Snorlax for the N64 ad campaign in Dec 1997, while being part of a N64 Pokemon Stadium bundle in English.

I'd like to go together with you, but I can see you'd prefer to stay. Are you certain, Tony? I am to take these booster packs?

Gah ha ha ha haaa! I don't mind, I don't mind! We have an arrangement that must be honored since I've been defeated. Take 'em! They're fifth edition packs! That's the 'Flight' series!

I see! Then I suppose this is goodbye!

I'm strong when something's on the line, but you're much stronger. Minto! Do what you like. I'll be here fighting on!!

One down, so across the way we go.

Peck

Trip Over: Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 20 damage plus 10 more damage.

Can only access this room from the top and we'll definitely need one of these, we've used the Dugtrio promo, but can't forget about this little guy! It's nice to use early game since it's kinda tanky and can dole out big damage. It was available in the Understand How to Play Pokemon Cards Now: Newest Edition (Asobikata Volume 2) in Nov 1998. It was sealed together with its evolution, though since it only required a Diglett, you could evolve the Promo Dugtrio from any of them.

So did the developers play SMT beforehand or...

Will this be better than a Promo Diglett?

Nothing will be.

Alright, last chest!

Well wasn't that fun, there's nothing else like it in the game, so let's finish up.

Allow me to formally introduce myself. I'm Grace. Card battles with me are only held under specific personal rules. All energy cards in your deck must be Fighting-type! If your deck has only Fighting energy cards, then let's begin! Set aside 4 prize cards! I'll take you down!!

This isn't a surprise, so let's bring out the Machamp deck again and lay waste to these fools!

That's to be expected, Scyther doesn't need specific energy to attack, only for Swords Dance, so let's try to avoid it.

Thankfully the AI can't resist its free retreat, so we can get just slightly more damage on this but hopefully keep avoiding it.

Oh huh, this Onix has an actual attack? Well whatever, we'll throw it back. Grace is pretty mean by using both Scyther and Dark Fearow to screw over your Fighting decks. Still, quite a few Machamp have ways around resistance, as we've seen, so you should be fine. She also has Dark Machamp and shouldn't have too hard a time finding it with Trader, as well as The Boss's Way, which let's you get a Dark Pokemon from your deck. She also has 3 DCEs, which is technically cheating? Well it didn't really matter.

Didn't get to use Primeape, but maybe we'll use this deck again, the requirements will always pop up when you least expect them.

Sky Flying Pokemon is the final booster pack we can get and contains the other good portion of Vending mons, as well as a smattering of Base, Jungle and Fossil.

The card in this chest is for your collection, Minto. I don't like it very much, but I'll bet it suits you just fine.

I'll take that, no issues here. We'll fall down the closest hole to quickly get back to the entrance, it's leader time!

Let's get to our battle immediately! But heed this warning: I am focused and disciplined! I can unleash Fighting-type's full power. All Fighting-type Pokemon here ignore resistance when they strike! Even if a foe has a -30 to Fighting attacks, they hit at full force. So what will you do? Are you still willing to fight me? I'll show you my mastery of Fighting in a 6-prize, all-out battle!

GR Fort Leader Duel

I have news, Minto! I'm telling you now before I forget! I've got some interesting facts to share about Brutus, the GR Fighting Leader!! Brutus uses the Earth Power rule! This rule negates the usual -30 damage reduction for any Pokemon that resist Fighting attacks! In other words, Fighting Pokemon always hit for at least full damage! You might want to try making a deck that panders to Fighting's weakness since resistance is useless! I guess... just hang in there! Ronald (O__O)

Oh BABY is this a good start. We'll let Kangaskhan Fetch cards for a bit while we build everything up and evolve them.

Pfft, what's he using this wack promo card here for? I thought this was a serious-

Ah... poo poo. Thankfully that didn't work, but you can see the nasty combo he can employ here to keep his Dark Primeape kicking for longer than it should!

Since we got Dark Dragonair early, let's have this come out to play. Due to Dragonair's amazing utility there's usually not much point in evolving it, but the Power can maybe tempt you. Otherwise its attack is expensive and only works half the time and it's pretty drat frail considering it could spend multiple turns doing gently caress all. This... is not a very good card and that might be why we've held it off for so long. Dragonair is still great though!

And that was Dark Dragonite! Will I use it again? Eh, probably not.

Okay please stop using Dark Primeape better than I ever will. Still, there's always Final Be-

gently caress! At least we can salvage this.

Alright, let's get Charizard out of there and build it for later. And huh, Gyarados is weak to Grass. Who knew.

Ooh we can build up here! We're nearly there!

Hilarious, nothing like overkill to finish up. Brutus can be pretty brutal, as you saw, since he really doesn't take much to build up, we saw every Pokemon he has, it's a nice mix and with 4 Imakuni?, he'll get a chance to confuse his Dark Primeape for sure. Dark Marowak doesn't do too much, but since it's not resisted, it doesn't need to. And then Scyther is your standard monster.

My Fighting power was overwhelmed. This GR Fighting coin is a suitable prize for such a strong adversary. Here, Minto. Take the GR Fighting coin.

You can now open the doors behind me to continue your journey onward. Team GR's Psychic Fortress awaits!

Alright, we're onto the last part of the island! ...wait a minute, we've had a spy here the whole time???

Ishihara's Villa

Did you know? That in Japan??? TCG 2 is called Doki Doki Duel?????

I can see that you're being quite an active player over here. As you may know, this is my personal villa. I frequently use this as a retreat to contemplate complex strategies. If you wish to see what cards I am trading for, stop by sometime.

Gee thanks. Once you've traded enough cards with Ishihara on TCG Island, he comes here so you can trade even MORE with him! As you can see, it's totally worth it.

Here's our final destination. How far can we get?

Well there's a surprise. Still, only 2 more fortresses left to go and we'll finally fight the king! Seems getting to a ruler in all Pokemon games is a bit of a pain.

GR Challenge Cup

Since there's a bit of time, let's take on the next Challenge Cup! It's only freshly open from beating the Fighting leader, so let's dive in with a new deck!

Well that's cool, we're facing someone from the Psychic fortress. I wonder if the pool changes depending on where you are in the island. Well we'll fight Psychic with Psychic, a fantastic idea I'm sure, using this Space Invaders deck of Dark Gengar and Dark Clefable by Ranndalor, wasn't quite enough room for Wigglytuff, but boy would it have helped!

Sigh... this is the main problem with using Psychic decks in this game, every single AI has some Colourless mon of some variety and the resistance is enough to make most Psychic attacks useless, since they often deal 30 damage. There are some Psychic attacks that ignore resistance, but we used those last game, and we have something to help with all these Colourless mons!

Pokemon Power: Darkness Veil: All damage done to Dark Pokémon is reduced by a random number (0, 10, 20) as long as that Pokémon is the Active Pokémon. This Power stops working if Dark Clefable is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed.

[C][C][C] [30] Dark Song: Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Asleep and this attack does 10 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon.

Exclusive to this game, Dark Clefable is a solid tank, able to survive multiple hits if you're lucky, and also has its power extend to ANY Active Dark Pokemon, which helps their survivability immensely. Dark Song can also be pretty deadly if you get lucky, but even just 30 standard damage is good as hell. It won't blow you away, but it won't be blown away either.

Good to block while we get Dark Gengar built up.

But you can see the issue this game has when the Psychic members have half of their decks devoted to Colourless Pokemon. It kinda sucks even if it's smart.

Pokemon Power: Play Tricks: Once during your turn (before your attack), you may choose to have all damage counters on your opponent's Pokémon randomly rearranged (your opponent's Pokémon cannot be knocked out in this way). This Power can't be used if Dark Gengar is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed.

[P][P] Push Aside: Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent shuffles a random Benched Pokémon and all cards attached to it into his or her deck.

Another GB exclusive, hey what are the chances, Dark Gengar is... tricky to use. While it doesn't do any damage, it can win you games like Dark Machamp if you get lucky, but if you don't, it'll just sit there and easily die despite how slow it often is to evolve. It's the same as Dark Machamp though it's random what it pushes out and it's also MISTRANSLATED, it can push out the active, but again, it's random which one, and it will push out the active if there's no bench, unlike Dark Machamp. Since its Power is random and is at odds with its attack, it can be worth going for while you're powering this up, but it's definitely tricky to properly utilise.

If you want to actually attack with something, we also have the Promo Gengar which we've already seen.

Another Psychic member? What are the chances? Seriously that's pretty annoying since this guy is loving awful.

Guaranteed sleep is great fun, so let's blow that away and build up something in the back.

This is definitely a nightmare.

It took a bit to actually build up something in the back cause I was getting poo poo for draws. Like 3 Nightly Garbage Run at once draws, which is a problem when I need Haunter or Breeder!!!

Guess what this does.

It doesn't work. Twice.

And then he had a guaranteed sleep attack anyway! At least we're finally getting some good damage on it.

GAHHHHHHHHH

Now I can't draw any goddamn energy! My decks are balanced so this usually isn't a problem, but sometimes I get pretty unlucky.

Thankfully Dark Clefable resists Dream Eater and can even reduce it further! I have spent half of this match asleep and the other half landing tails on Dark Song. I hate this so much.

There's a reason I'm not using Dark Gengar, but we can make some inviting targets for Dark Clefable instead.

Alright, finally making some headway!

But it didn't matter since I knew TWENTY TURNS AGO that I was gonna win. This is why I didn't want Dark Gengar to push stuff back into the deck, I figured I'd ride the endless sleep until one of us died of boredom. Thank gently caress that is over, hopefully the last match won't contain any Colourless Pokemon!

WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING HERE

This is... a slight problem. If you don't remember, we faced this random guy in the Lightning Fort and he had a bunch of Colourless and Lightning mons.

Well this went even further south. I had a Dark Gengar in my hand, but no Dark Haunter, Computer Search or Breeder. All I needed to do was push the Dragonite out and it would've been the easiest fight of my life. Alas.

Okay, okay, we can bounce back from this. It's a prime push target, but it'll sweep us with enough turns.

[P][P] [30] Disgust: Flip a coin. If heads, shuffle a randomly selected Trainer Card from your opponent's hand back into his or her deck.

Exclusive GB Dark Gengar also means exclusive GB Dark Haunter. It can be worth not evolving this if you want to deal some damage and screw over your opponent with Trainer shuffling, or maybe not. Pretty dependable damage that could get your opponent stuck while you try and find Dark Gengar, like what I'm doing.

Didn't I say I had a Dark Gengar in my hand earlier? Well to try and find something to fight with, anything, I used Professor Oak to find a Dark Haunter. This has been a real upsetting fight lmao

And that's that, goddammit. I was a bit annoyed at this, but then I remembered this was just for a Bill's Computer card and then immediately felt better again. Oh well!

Next time, we take Dark Gengar directly to the source so we can push their cards into their loving face.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 1, 2020

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Why would 3 Double Colorless Energies be cheating?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I was gonna say you should upload that map to GameFAQs, that's the content those guys live for.

But I checked, and uh.

Oh.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Curses! The one place I never looked! Oh well mine is better.

The Golux posted:

Why would 3 Double Colorless Energies be cheating?

Usually both parties follow the rules set, I'm not allowed to have DCEs in my deck, she refuses to battle you if so, but I guess that doesn't apply to her!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Crosspeice posted:

Curses! The one place I never looked! Oh well mine is better.

Usually both parties follow the rules set, I'm not allowed to have DCEs in my deck, she refuses to battle you if so, but I guess that doesn't apply to her!

Oh, right, I forgot that that was an energy-restricted battle.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 10: Seizing Strongholds

Colorless Altar

It's me! Ronald! Good to see you again!!

Did you have some trouble in the GR Fighting Fortress's labyrinth? I got sick of waiting for you! Listen, I have new Team GR intel. There's a man called the GR King in the GR Castle just north of here! There's a catch, though. You need 2 coins to meet him. Those would be the GR Psychic coin and the GR Colorless coin! You should get them quickly and attack that castle! But seeing how slow you work, I bet I'll get there first!! I'm off! Later, Minto!!

Who is this again? Not important enough to be in this game much it seems!

We three are the Clerics... Avery! Your attention, please!

Ah...?

We three are the Clerics who protect the Colorless Altar. If your goal is to enter GR Castle, you must fight all three of us! Only be attaining our approval will you earn the GR Colorless coin! We three each require specific cards to be in your deck when challenging. Well, that's all you need to know. Come ye and fight us!

I'm done being GR No.2, though. Would you like to fight me as Avery? I have special deck requirements to prevent me from losing, though. I want your deck to include 4 Dark Pokemon cards. It's the only way I'll agree to have a card battle with you. Okee-dokee! You've got everything I called for. Time to unleash your 6 prize cards! Let's begin.

GR Fort Leader Duel

Yo, Minto! I've got some info about the Colorless Altar! You'll need to defeat the three Clerics there: Seth, Alan, and Avery. Each specifies different cards to use in fights against them. Moreover, after a win or loss, they may change the cards they require! It's quite troublesome... every time you lose, you'll have to change your deck all over again! But anyway... if you find that you're missing a card and don't know what series of booster pack it's in, try checking out the Card Album. Fight someone who gives out that booster series until you have all 4 required cards. By the way, you could always return to our home island to see everyone again and challenge them for cards. If you rush, you may mess up... Ronald (O__O)

Dammit... well Ronald went over everything I wanted to talk about, so that helps! Since we can face any of the 3 in any order, let's shake it up by taking on the leader asap! Like Ronald mentioned, after a battle with them, they can change their requirements for battle, Avery can request 4 Rattata, 4 Meowth or 4 Dark Pokemon in a deck, which can be a pain depending on what cards you've gotten in this game.

Looks like he's stuck on energy, cause I'm tearing through this guy.

And one more Gengar evolution was enough to close it. Avery's deck isn't intimidating, since it has Jungle Pidgeot and Flying Pikachu, along with Vending Tauros and Jungle Fearow, doing a fair bit of Colourless damage, but nothing crazy. He's got Full Heal Energy and Potions, as well as Defenders and Gust of Wind, so he can be tough to crack, but, if like me, he barely does anything, then he's real easy! Still a few too many Pokemon for my liking, but enemy decks are getting better Trainers and energy balancing, so they're getting tougher!

btw, some enemies have text in their sprites, the big images I'm using are from Bulbapedia who use the JP versions since there's no official English translation after all. The victory sprite will always have the same phrase as the regular sprite, it's the lose sprite that changes, but you'll see those in English, so you're not missing anything!

You've defeated me, so you've earned my approval. You'll need the other Clerics' approvals to get our coin, though. Once you defeat the other Clerics, come speak with me again.

Dratini cards! Use them and I'll fight you! But if your deck doesn't have 4 of them, I'll refuse the challenge! So, what say you? Does your deck have Dratini cards? If you do, let us begin this decisive battle! Check! You have indeed heeded my request! Then let us stall no further. Set aside 6 prize cards!

The Bad Dragon deck is back again, that's just how it be sometimes, though Dratini has increased from 1 to 4, while Gyarados and Charizard have been reduced to make room. Alan can also ask for 4 Jigglypuff or 4 Mysterious Fossil. We haven't used the Fossil deck in a while...

So wait, Gyarados resists Fighting, due to its MSG Flying type, but is also weak to Grass? Sure, TCG.

Ah someone's seen the greatness of Dark Dragonair, definitely want to get rid of that quickly!

Let the older sibling show you how it's done. But... what's this? Is the youngest taking me on?

Due to paralysis being bullshit and Giant Tail being an awful move, this isn't that unlikely of a scenario...

Ah gently caress this, let's end this using the third and final dragon! Well technically none of them are actually Dragon... Alan has Dark Dragonair, but only Clefairy and Dratini evolve, since he has Onix and Hitmonchan otherwise. With Super Potions and Potion Energy he's a real pain and his Pokemon don't take too much to set up, especially if he gets Dragonair up, so get rid of it asap.

A loss is a loss. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Create a deck containing 4 Spearow cards, then! If you complete that requirement, you shall have your card battle! Fail to do so, however, and I will refuse your request. If you fulfill that criterion, let us begin the fight! Set aside 6 prize cards! Beat me, and I'll give you a booster pack!

Oh goody, he has other massive blobs that aren't Snorlax. We'll be bringing back the Pidgeot and Raticate deck from the first half of TCG Island, though it's been tweaked for the specifications, since we need Spearow. He can also suggest 4 Pidgey, as well as 4 Double Colorless Energy, but since there isn't a Dark Pidgeot, alas, let's try out Dark Fearow.

Wow, a shittier Dark Dragonite! Even the Super Fang Base Raticate has is better than this, cause being this fragile means your attack shouldn't fail on a coin flip! Otherwise yeah, it's a Bad Raticate, this was as good as it was gonna get.

I hate this guy so much... stall was an annoyingly good part of the meta... not as bad as Gen 2's MSG meta... but boy do I hate my life right now...

Of course, stubbornly using a coinflip attck is similarly painful. Thankfully he isn't drawing enough energy to make my life hell. Yet.

And of course he has Lickitung! God what a miserable card to fight on top of this!

Fly High: During your next turn, Dark Fearow's Drill Dive attack's base damage is doubled.

Drill Dive: During your next turn, you can't use this attack and Dark Fearow can't retreat.

This GB exclusive was made into a real card as an insert for the strategy guide for this game and it's... alright. At least when it comes to Drill Dive's effects, it's easy to ignore with a Switch and then a free retreat bench Pokemon, but you can usually survive one hit to get Fly High going. Still, attacks with effects like this mean you're only doing 20 damage every turn which is terrible for a card as fragile as this, but when you want to drag something in and oneshot it, this is definitely a way to do it!

I couldn't have picked the two worst cards to be doing this with, but we're slowly but surely making it through this, Super Fang makes it so much easier. If you thought you could be clever and bring in the small basics to snipe, well Lickitung is it, Chansey, Lickitung, Snorlax and Kangaskhan are his only Pokemon. This is what's called the fourth circle of Pokehell.

Always pack a Pluspower or 4, kids!

Quick Attack: Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 20 more damage.

Drill Dive: Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does nothing.

You had one job Vending Fearow! It's like the Bad version, but bad, like anything relying on coin flips to loving ATTACK!!! Still, you have to go for these big plays or you're not a real gamer. Just adds a bit of variety if you want to potentially attack every turn, but it's still not great.

Ugh, there we go, it took forever, but I beat up 6 beefy mons. He had one of each energy and 4 of each special energy, as well as Super Energy Removal and Scoop Up. gently caress this guy, I hope I never see him again in my life...

Well I'll be. It's been a while since I've lost. The next time you come to fight, I may change my card requirements.

The only person who has that coin is Claire in the GR Psychic Fortress. So go on over to the GR Psychic Fort!

GR Psychic Fort

Man the Altar had some right weirdos, thankfully I've never met a weird Psychic user in my life, so this should be good.

Good trade, I think we're nearly done with last game's promos, but still plenty to go otherwise!

...uh, hello? Is anyone here? Well guess this means I don't need to get this place's coin, off to the castle we-

You've indeed come far. I won't praise your efforts, though. I assume you've set your sights on GR Castle? Well, you've got to get through me first, kid. I won't go easy on you. However, if you happen to beat me, I'll admit my defeat. Allow me to introduce my fellow stronghold members. First is Clyde, to my left!

Easy, Victoria! Please wait for me to complete my introductions.

I wasn't thaaaat loud... you don't have to be so strict!

There you go again. You don't listen to a word I say!

Okay, okay! Stop it, pleeease! I'll be quiet...

I bet you never suspected the famed GR No.4 could be so pretty, eh? That's right! Cute little Victoria was GR No.4 the whole time!

If you can manage that, I'll turn my elevator on for you. I'll be waiting for you in the upper room.

Battles with me are a bit extreme. I use a custome rule for resistance. Instead of the usual -30 resistance, all resistance is a -10 reduction. If you feel confident with -10 resistance, let us start the duel. 4 prize cards.

Team GR Duel

What a host of wacky characters! Team GR is honestly great, I really like grunts with personality and this game goes like 4 steps further. Anyway, each member has their own rules and Kevin's is the lightest, don't need to think about it if we use a deck that is neutral against Psychic!

Ow, not a good start, so let's drag this in. We're using a Dark Ninetales deck, cause it's pretty drat good!

But this kicking chop is too much, Ninetales is pretty fragile. So what are we pairing with this mon?

We'll go over this card's history in a moment but yep, Dark Venusaur is in this deck called Brushfire by Kemix. They don't mix in the slightest, they're just 2 really good cards, so hell yeah that makes a good deck, why not? I really like this card, consistent damage and it can screw over your opponent no matter the roll. If it lands paralysis then they can't do anything but take 90 damage, 30, 20 from Poison, another 30, another 10 from Poison, it's so good. If they don't wake up, whoops that's another 90 free damage and if they get confused and hit themselves, wow, 110 free damage! Of course switching out ruins it all, but it pins your opponent and is something they can't really prep for since the effect is random. God this card is good!

Anyway, this was made into a physical card the same month as the game's release as an insert in Pokemon Card Trainers magazine Vol. 10, in Mar 01. It was reprinted in the Web expansion and made available in English via Battlezone events in May 03, with a "Winner" stamp in the corner if you won enough matches.

Psy Crush: Does 10 damage times the total number of [P] Energy cards attached to all of your opponent's Pokémon.

Super Psy

This is only the 6th Mewtwo we've gone over, what of it? This is the first Vending Mewtwo, the second one we haven't seen yet! It crushes opposing Psychic decks since they usually go to 3 energy for their attacks, but 50 damage for 3 energy is still absolutely nuts. A welcome addition to Psychic decks to overcome their Colourless resistance.

And Dark Venusaur crushed Kevin pretty similarly, though he could've crushed us similarly. With Hitmonchan, Kadabra and Dark Hypno, he sets up very quickly and does a lot of damage for little energy, it's pretty scary at the start! He's got a lot of energy searching so he usually gets to attack and he doesn't have to bother with evolving Machop or Kadabra, so he doesn't get bogged down trying to find the evolutions. Of course, once he's out of cards, due to 2 Bills, he's usually out of steam.

It's rare for my psychic powers to be so inaccurate. Oh, I guess I should activate my elevator switch for you, then. When 3 of the elevator's lights are lit, you can use it to meet Claire. You can't reach her any other way, I'm afraid.

Alriiight! I'm a strong, serious and determined fighter! There's no way you'll be able to top my deck this time. Nope! My challenger requirement is a restriction on energy type! The only energy cards you're allowed to use are Psychic energy cards! I hope your deck is made with the Psychic-type in mind! C'mon, c'mon! Let's fight!! I'm gonna blow you away! Hah! Your deck's energy cards are all Psychic-type! Then let's start this show right with 4 prize cards!

Back to the Clef/Gengar deck for a bit, mainly because we have to, and also because the Alakazam/Hypno deck had its time.

Nice as this is, could we get an evolution maybe?

Well at least Kadabra doesn't beat me anymore.

We'll finish off with Gengar, cause why not, Dark Gengar seems a bit shy rn. Victoria has a lot of Pokemon, like Dark Golduck, Dark Alakazam, Mewtwo, Dark Raticate and Kangaskhan a lot. She can get her Dark Pokemon easily enough with The Boss's Way, otherwise with 1 Oak and 2 Bills she usually has a hard time, as she just showed. At least she only has to bother with Psychic energy since Dark Golduck uses that despite being Water and can do a lot of damage if she gets setup. The keyword for Pokemon heavy decks is if, ah well.

It's no wonder I lost so badly in our prior confrontations! Hey, I'll activate my switch. You can thank me later! When the three lights are lit, the elevator is activated. But I'll bet you already knew that from before, riiight? You already beat me with your stupid superhuman abilities!! You have to defeat other members now if you want to go on!!

I'd like for your deck to have a total of 6 Gastly and Haunter cards. Any combination of the two is fine. 3 and 3. 4 and 2; whatever works. Of course, you're free to even use 4 Haunter and 2 Gastly if you want. Anyway, when your deck has at least 6 of these Ghost cards, I'll duel. So are you ready to fight? Feel free to build a new deck if you need to. Yeah, you've got a combination of 6 of the cards I requested! With that aside, let's duel with 4 prize cards. Well, shall we begin?

Oh goody, the nightmare is back. We're basically forced into a Gengar deck for this, but they're good cards so can't complain.

Main issue is these Hypnosis Haunter, maybe this Vending Haunter works out, 20 damage plus 10 more for each prize card your opponent has taken, definitely something to think about late game.

And here's the problem again. Man, do we have nothing for this???

Well maybe if we'd gotten Confusion instead of Sleep 3 times we could've made it less likely to attack, you see that energy building up. It also woke up immediately 3 times so it could keep drawing cards, bah.

Well back to this again...

But hey, knocking out Dark Clefable gave us just enough to clinch victory! Anyway, this boy has Push Power Gengar as well as Dark Hypno, not that you'd notice since he just uses Hypnosis Haunter and Long Distance Hypnosis Drowzee endlessly, god he's lame. Still, I'm very glad we took him down before a deck exhaust win! 4 Sleep!, 2 Full Heal and 4 Full Heal energy for when he gets tagged by Long Distance Hypnosis makes him even more of a fucker.

But how could I lose...? Boo hoo hoo... oh, I'll turn the final switch on. Since this means the elevator is now operational, you can move on. Claire should be waiting for you at the top of the stronghold.

Hey guys... did you know... if you beat 3 trainers... you can take the lift up! Just making sure. Of course, we're gonna fight all 4, why wouldn't we?

You chose me to be one of your required opponents, correct? In that case, I must ask you to follow my own personal rule. Please do not include any Trainer cards in your deck for our battle. This means you can't have any cards like Potions or Clefairy Dolls. If even 1 is included in your deck, I will refuse to battle you. You have followed my request most admirably. If you would please, place 4 prize cards so we may begin.

We left Heidi to last because her requirement is pretty nuts! Trainers is like the main reason I do so well. Still, we're both under the same restriction, so if it's gonna be slow going, then it'll be for the both of us. There's a few ways around it, using the max 4 of all Pokemon in a deck and then filling it with energy means you might get lucky, obviously one energy type helps a lot here. Otherwise, using Pokemon that have abilities to help search for others and energy are real nice, especially if they don't take much to do damage.

Buuuuuuuut, well, I got lucky and she didn't. This could've gone either way, so it was pretty fun to think about. Her deck will never have Trainers, even when you face her in the GR Cup, bet you didn't notice! I didn't... Her Pokemon are mostly self-sustaining, Rocket Slowpoke can get a Psychic energy from the deck, while Base Kadabra can get them from the discard. She also has Dark Dragonair to help her along, if she can find it. She also has Dark Persian since you don't have Full Heals, while she has Potion and Full Heal energy. It's not a bad deck, though the AI is very bad at it, but they're also bad with Trainers, so who knows. Try it yourself sometime!

Mother, I hope it is alright... your daughter has lost... I suppose I should still follow the protocol for activating my switch. ...even though the elevator is already available for use.

Well wasn't that fun, onto the final GR Leader!

Before we start our battle, allow me to summon the fort's special guest. He's a young man my members happened to kidnap. He'll be here shortly.

I can't say for certain! We can only get confirmation by watching the future unfold. Well, I'm ready for our battle, Minto!

I'm fairly certain you do not have the capacity to defeat me in battle. It's a whole different experience when you battle against me. Normally, you discard a K.O.'d Pokemon and its energy cards. Under my rules, the discarded basic energy cards return to the hand. So? Do you understand my terms? Then I suppose you'll be challenging me to a duel next? We'll use 6 prize cards.

GR Fort Leader Duel

Minto! It's Ronald! I've acquired some information about the GR Psychic Leader, Claire! Claire is a very wise opponent! She employs a very strange rule. Any time a player's Pokemmon is knocked out in a battle against her, the energy cards attached to it are returned to that player's hand! This means you'll certainly have a lot of energy for this fight. But she's too clever to let you take full advantage of that. To counter this, she has plenty of Energy Removal and Super Energy Removal inside of her deck. She uses those cards to ensure you don't get any energy when she knocks out your Pokemon... and be careful of her Dark Gengar's Push Aside attack!! It can push Pokemon back into your deck! You may have no other choice than to create your own Psychic-type deck with Energy Removal cards as well, just like hers... Ronald (O__O)

So for this duel every basic energy card has the effect of Recycle energy. This is gonna get your hand pretty full, but this makes it all pretty fun. Claire is pretty tough since she uses her rules to good effect, by pulling from the deck, she's basically getting them into her hand when Slowpoke goes down. Still, this Rocket Bulbasaur is great to start off with to Poison stuff immediately.

Ah a beautiful sight, Dark Ivysaur is pretty good, 30 damage to the opponent, but where they choose. Of course, the AI doesn't really get it right, but after enough of these attacks they'll have some tricky choices to make. The description is a little misleading, you remove the markers at the end of turn, you use them in the TCG for a variety of things, but you don't remove the damage. Honestly Dark Ivysaur can work on its own, but when combined with its evolution, suddenly all that extra damage becomes incredibly lethal. Great combo!

Like Dark Venusaur, Dark Ivysaur was a GB exclusive before becoming a proper card in the magazine insert, and then available in English as a prize for the BattleZone events, same as its evolution, of course, otherwise how would you use Venusaur?

She's got a lot of energy now, but I've got quite the prize lead. Her AI also went a little weird and used 2 Professor Oaks in a row, never seen that before. We're in a commanding position, so let's see how she can yank it away!

Ah boy, Dark Haunter would do it. Consistent damage against my fragile deck and removing Trainers I so desperately rely on due to lack of skill. This might be a problem.

Ugh, the Pluspower makes it as if I'm flipping 10 coins, but apparently that wasn't enough! Thankfully we have some backup, but we're also running out.

Alright, both of them are down, she's clawing it back, but we just need one more to win!

How did I get TWO HEADS??? If she keeps spamming this then we'll run out of Pokemon faster than we can build them in a way to knock this out.

Ooh boy, I don't wanna think what would've happened if I hadn't drawn that Grass energy... that was pretty drat scary! Her deck is pretty simple, get energy with Slowpoke, remove yours with Super Energy Removal, Mr. Mime to stall hard hitting decks and Dark Haunter and Dark Gengar to set you back. Also 4 Kangaskhan, but it feels like every AI deck has those. She's tricky, but can't overwhelm you with damage and she's prime Base Blastoise bait if you can get past the Mr. Mime.

That's the GR Psychic coin, a prize that is required to enter GR Castle. Your next objective is to meet with King Villicci in GR Castle. It seems the child is just as you've said: tough and enjoys duelling... I see now why you had no worries waiting here for Minto.

Then honor your promise.

Hah! You're free to do as you wish.

Minto. I'm Grand Master Rod. I was waiting for you to win your way here. It is my belief that only you hold the power to defeat Team GR. I don't think it's wrong to use Team GR's cards. However, taking others' cards away from them is a different story. I'm certain you understand best after all of your fights so far. Go find the GR King Villicci! Find him and defeat him. I don't mean to sound demanding, but you're the only one who can do it. I sincerely hope that this card will help you on your journey.

Ehhhhhh, I'm alright. Like, it's a tankier Dark Dragonite, but its Power ain't too useful and its attack is pretty meh, like all of them when you flip tails. Anyway, this is the final Mewtwo Strikes Back promo and the last All Nippon Airways promo, feels like we've been finding these cards over 2 games. Oh wait.

Once there, we'll begin preparations for the Final Cup. The winner of that Cup earns the Legendary Pokemon Cards. I hope you'll visit once we have everything ready to go. Then we'll see for sure if you have more power than the Grand Masters!

I will remain here in case you would like another battle.

Who cares about those lame cards? We've been building to this since we got to this island, next time we finally meet the king. Time to get overthrown!!!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

This is your last chance to submit any decks for the last fights of the game, doesn't matter if they're too cohesive, having a fun lightning round to do the few postgame fights sounds like fun!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Challenge: A deck in which your only allowed Pokemon are Basic Pokemon that can evolve up to Stage 2. As in, only their basic forms. Squirtle/Dratini/Oddish/Machop/etc.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"We'll see if you have more power than us" is not something you say to the person that had to save your rear end and the asses of your friends, Rod. MINTO :) has already proven that just fine.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Did we ever do a legendary birds deck? I forget.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Man the GR Numbers were all just huge nerds in robes and masks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

And the whole, already beat them all in a row to get the legendary cards thing.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting my deck to be any decent, good to know it was good enough. Looking forward to seeing the end/postgame

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Leraika posted:

Did we ever do a legendary birds deck? I forget.

Would they synergize well with the Eeveelutions? Since it would be the same energy's and all.

I think that Dragonite was the only movie promo card I didn't manage to get when I was a kid. I know I had three of the four, I'm pretty sure I didn't have that one.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Crosspeice posted:

This is your last chance to submit any decks for the last fights of the game, doesn't matter if they're too cohesive, having a fun lightning round to do the few postgame fights sounds like fun!

I'd still love to see the Legendary Zapdos combo deck.

4 Legendary Zapdos
4 Legendary Articuno
3 Chansey
4 Bill
4 Professor Oak
4 Computer Search
4 Item Finder
4 Scoop Up
4 Super Scoop Up
4 Mr. Fuji
4 Bill's Teleporter
4 Recycle
4 Poke Ball
4 Maintenance
4 Pokemon Trader
1 Here Comes Team Rocket!

You can't attack, but by scooping up and repeatedly replaying Zapdos, you should be able to win most games on the first turn.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I heard there's a real world worldwide TCG tournament. Maybe you can use the deck of the first winner or something.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard there's a real world worldwide TCG tournament. Maybe you can use the deck of the first winner or something.

Yeah it runs alongside VGC every year, but the official worlds tournies didnt happen until the e reader sets in 2002

Though its not like no one played competitively https://jklaczpokemon.wordpress.com/2000-base-team-rocket/ of course

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Chamale posted:

I'd still love to see the Legendary Zapdos combo deck.

4 Legendary Zapdos
4 Legendary Articuno
3 Chansey
4 Bill
4 Professor Oak
4 Computer Search
4 Item Finder
4 Scoop Up
4 Super Scoop Up
4 Mr. Fuji
4 Bill's Teleporter
4 Recycle
4 Poke Ball
4 Maintenance
4 Pokemon Trader
1 Here Comes Team Rocket!

You can't attack, but by scooping up and repeatedly replaying Zapdos, you should be able to win most games on the first turn.

Wait how does this work? Zapdos does damage on play, is that all?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

The Golux posted:

Wait how does this work? Zapdos does damage on play, is that all?

yup, the legendary zapdos card does 30 damage to a random pokemon when it enters play. The articunos paralyze the enemy pokemon when they enter. So the idea behind the deck is to slap zapdos down repeatedly on turn one and kill all your oponents dudes before they can do anything. It's not something you could normally do anywhere because it's a gameboy exclusive card that you get one of every time you beat the equivalent of the elite 4.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 10, 2020

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 11: Final Filler

Receptionist: Since you have collected both coins, the doors have opened at last.

Ronald Encounter

Oh, Minto. Gosh, the players in here are indescribably strong! I couldn't do a thing, even after all of my work to get here! But Minto, you... your deck might do the trick. This is the end, show everyone your power! If you can't defeat me, though, you won't stand a chance in there. C'mon, we'll play with our usual 6 prize cards rules. If you win, I'll give you a rare Super Energy Retrieval Card!

We've gone one last obstacle to face before the Castle, shouldn't be any trouble with our deck, though we will change to a proper deck befitting of the finale.

Ah come on let me flip a hundred coins at your face.

This Gengar isn't too scary and we've been building up a Venu in the back. While Dark Venusaur is terrifying, regular still hits really drat hard.

Complete Recovery: Discard all Energy cards attached to this Pokémon. Then, remove all damage counters and markers from this Pokémon and this Pokémon is no longer Poisoned or Confused.

Psycho Blast: Flip a coin. If heads, discard 1 Energy card attached to the Defending Pokémon.

He got a bit stuck so we've won. Regardless, here's the SEVENTH Mewtwo card we've gone over in this LP, eventually we'll run out of Mewtwo cards to go over. This was in the third Vending set and is illustrated by Kazuhiko Nishihara, who was the winner of the Mewtwo's Counterattack Commemoration Illust Artist Contest run by CoroCoro. As a card it's alright, there have been plenty of other, better, Mewtwo cards, but it means you can have some variety and choose a kinda tankier stall one? Well gotta do something with your life.

As for Ronald's deck it's something we only see once, so whatever, has the devolution Mew as well as Dark Dragonite. Only 2 Bills so he'll definitely get stuck trying to evolve everything, so it's not a difficult lategame deck. So long as you don't get screwed early maybe.

Anyway, here's your new Super Energy Retrieval Card. I'm sure you can beat these guys!! You just gotta do your best! Anyway, fight on, Minto!!

GR Castle

You'll have to collect the Legendary cards before I recognize you! Prove yourself by collecting those cards and putting them in your deck. I know you believe you know what direction is best for Team GR... but I'll never agree with you! My ideals are immaculate! I'll fight you myself if I have to! Executive Clay!

Ha!!

Executive Allison!

Yes, King Villicci!

Minto! You must fight my two Executives first! Only with victories against both will I confront you in combat! If, that is, you can win...

I'm your first opponent. They call me Executive Clay! But let us not fight here. Head over to the Duel Table.

But I have special requirements for our duel that you must uphold! I've heard so much praise about the Pokemon cards of legend... you've undoubtedly heard about them. They are the following four cards: Moltres Lv40!! Articuno Lv37!! Zapdos Lv68!! Dragonite Lv41!! Put all four of these cards of legend into a single deck. If you do that, I would be more than happy to have a duel with you.

Well as you could tell by the title of the update, we won't be storming the castle just yet, we need to beat up the strongest nerds on this island. And then beat everyone else up cause I have to pad out this LP somehow!

Pokemon Dome

Thanks, Portly Man.

That's the only way to make Team GR change their terrible ways. You'll need the Pokemon cards of legend to have a duel with Villicci. So, let's start the Final Cup! Well, assuming you're prepared. Very well! Let's enter the Finals Hall.

We are the Grand Masters, keepers of the Pokemon cards of legend! Without defeating all four of us, you can't earn the cards of legend! Let's begin. First you'll duel Courtney!

Take a seat, Minto. Oh ho ho... but don't get comfy. Let's start this 6-prize card duel!

Grand Master Duel

What was once the final battles is now the training arc to the final battle!

While this is absolutely miserable, we're not in much threat at the moment.

Give 'im a swift kick m8, oh yeah since I've covered most submitted decks I wanted we've got a good backlog to crack open and have fun with it.

By sweeping around with Surprise Thunder we can mill most of her bench and have an easy time of it. We didn't see the legendary Moltres, thankfully, which is why she got a bit stuck not being able to draw Fire energy. Otherwise she has Nightly Garbage Run to keep them in her deck to draw from and Switches and Scoop Ups for her big stuff.

Your next battle is against Steve, Minto!

I'll show you why they call me Thundering Steve!

Minto, would you like to change your deck? Okay, then. You may start the battle against Steve.

6 prize cards sounds good to me! Ready? Let's gooo!

Here's the Dark Weezing and Dark Arbok team again, might as well. Up against Speedball Pluspower Voltorb but we should be fine maybe.

Ah poo poo, oh well.

Adding in Thunderpunch Electabuzz is also not okay! drat we're getting owned a bit.

Least we can do is keep dragging in the stuck Zapdos while we build up in the back.

Yo Poison Claws actually worked? Who knew Persian could be so, srnk, good.

Alright, we can't ignore this any longer, so hopefully we can Poison it down.

Okay, we have prize card lead, let's keep it!

Alright he got stuck and that's a win, phew that was kinda scary! The only mon we didn't see was evolution shutdown Aerodactyl, but it's easy to snipe the fossils to ensure that doesn't happen, cause our deck is kinda lame without evolutions. Otherwise 4 Electabuzz is pretty scary as well as a bunch of single trainers like Computer Search, Super Potion and Gambler, as well as 2 Pluspowers and 2 Fossil Excavations. This is a pretty okay deck, but can get stuck without much energy draw.

Impressive, Minto. Your next duel is with Jack!

I won't lose this time... not with the full power of my gorgeous deck. What would you like? I suggest 6 prize cards.

Well at least it's not the Scrunch Chansey...

Oh please what is this gonna do?

Exactly bitch, gimme all that energy.

Yo remember this is weak to Grass lol

And we're back where we started, with Arbok not able to paralyze it.

It's alright, Persian is here to save the day!

And another one out of steam, it's just that easy! Kingler is scary if you let it get set up, but you can usually kill it afterwards and get him stuck on energy. Otherwise Sing Chansey is annoying but not overly so and while paralysis from Articuno is annoying, it's the mildest legendary effect, well aside from Dragonite. Otherwise there's a cheap Sleep and Paralysis Jynx, a fair few Switches and Bills and Energy Removal, just to keep you locked down.

Your power is just as impressive as I expected it to be.

Minto, as usual, you played wonderfully! It's time for you to face off against me! This is the last battle of the Final Cup! I won't let the Pokemon cards of legend go so easily. Set aside your 6 prize cards.

Hmm this isn't a great start.

Still, Dark Raichu really snipes evolution heavy decks, we might get lucky.

Close, but with no bench and no energy, he's outta luck. Of course the last Grand Master gets chumped. He only has regular Dragonite, but an early Dark Dragonair can get him rolling, even if Charizard is the only other recipient. He can use 3 Kangaskhan as well as 3 Bills to keep the cards flowing, as well as 2 Breeders and 2 Master Balls. He has a pretty quick deck, so I dunno what happened, just how the Krabby crumbles.

You're the only suitable player to have the Pokemon cards of legend. Here. I proudly confer the Pokemon cards of legend to you...

With those, Minto, fearlessly enter GR Castle. Once there, meet with Team GR's leader, King Villicci. I fear that's the only way to make Team GR change their terrible ways. The other Grand Masters and I are looking forward to that change. We'll all finally be able to play cards with Team GR peacefully. Do your best, Minto...

Now that sounds fun and all, but what if we spent the rest of the update fighting the last few TCG Island denizens we haven't gotten around to yet.

Normal TCG

After clearing the Fighting Fort we can fight Aaron with a regular deck. Now we'll be fighting all the leftover peeps, but I won't be going into too much detail, cause there's still a few and let's be honest, neither of us really care to go into much detail.

When in doubt, bring out the Dark Hypno and Alakazam deck.

It was a close battle. I assume, I don't remember all the specifics. His first deck is a mishmash of Fossil and Vending that does lots of damage to the bench through Gigashock Raichu, Stretch Kick Hitmonlee and Mach Punch Hitmonchan. Little tricky fighting it with fragile Abra, but we managed. With Energy Removal, Potion and Defender, it is absolutely miserable to survive.

His other deck is a combination Grass and Water that fills the bench for Wigglytuff with a lot of draw support for it, as well as a hard hitting Hydro Pump Vending Poliwrath. Vending Pinsir is fragile but good fodder while he evolves his Jungle Victreebel.

Just as I suspected: you're tough! I'll give you this as a prize. Come back again.

I said that once I got my real deck back, we could have a true duel. Well, I was given my deck back! I also have some new booster packs! It's the start of a new era of electrifying battles! The terms haven't changed: we'll still use 6 prize cards! You'll know the strength of my deck after this fight!

Club Leader Duel

I've got my list of who to fight and I'm checking it twice, only Isaac in this club remains!

Full heal? Don't mind if I do.

And that was basically a solo, though Doduo not resisting Psychic helped a lot! His deck has things that explode, Magneton and Electrode, as well as the dastardly Thunderpunch Electabuzz and Fossil Zapdos. Also the Vending Dodrio is here, but requires coinflips to deal max damage with Tri Attack, yikes! Only Electrode and Zapdos require full Lightning energy, so he has Full Heal and Potion Energy to be fancy, as well as 4 Defenders to survive going boom and 3 Bill! Wow!!!

I guess I gotta recharge the power of my deck after this loss. I'll admit my loss. I have some ideas to polish up my deck, though!

...want to know why? S-i-m-p-l-e! I can play now! I've got plenty of cards to play with now! C'mon, already. Let's battle! How's this? We'll use 4 prize cards! I'd enjoy that!

I'll give this Shellder something to wink about!

And wasn't that one crazy fight??? Anyway she was supposed to show off Fossil Cloyster, which can have both attacks do 0 damage if you get unlucky, as well as Fossil Tentacruel and Base Starmie, something we haven't really seen since the tutorial! Only Vending Kingler does any real damage, so there's nothing much to worry about, especially since she has a wide variety of Trainers, but no draw support!

Well, it was fun! I'll gladly take you on again... but more importantly, thanks so much for getting my cards back!

You've been showing everyone on GR Island how strong you are. The cards that have been returned allowed me to make a decent deck. How about it? Would you like to see it in action? Do 6 prize cards sound good to you?

Oh goody, as if we need the rain blessed here. Let's snipe the Squirtle before they can be too annoying.

Imagine being 2x weak to hitting yourself.

We're taking down her Wartortle, but she's blocking another one with a Lapras!

Running a little thin, but I'd rather sacrifice some Drowzee so Dark Alakazam can keep teleporting out.

Okay, hopefully she doesn't have the resources to make another one, cause I would really like to not fight that.

Rest: Remove all damage counters from this Pokémon. This Pokémon is no longer Confused, Paralyzed, or Poisoned. This Pokémon is now Asleep.

Aurora Wave: Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Confused.

Always nice to end it with a Clefairy Doll. Been a little bit since I highlighted a standard card, but the Vending expansion is pretty unfamiliar to most of us, so here's a neat looking card from it! It's not particularly good, but when have I really cared about that?

We saw everything Amy's deck had to offer and that's all it needed, goddamn what a terrifying deck. Sure, Dewgong doesn't do too much, but Lapras is a bulky wall that slowly gets stronger and Blastoise is, well, Base Blastoise. With Computer Search, Breeder, 4 Bill, 2 Oaks and 25 Water energy, she can actually be a real menace! Don't feel bad losing to this deck, Blastoise is so goddamn busted!

I know your fights against Team GR are all deadly serious. Just remember to have a little bit of fun along the way, too, okay?

Battles against me are always to a full 6 prize cards. Let's begin this Psychic battle!

Ugh, Murray, didn't really want to fight him again, but Club Masters are the exception to forced story battle. Didn't really intend to reuse the Dark Raticate and Fearow deck for this fight, but it didn't get much spotlight in the Colorless Altar. Still, I'm just sick of fighting annoying Psychic decks.

Hey get back here, last thing I need is some Alakazam running around, cause you can guess what deck this motherfucker is running again.

Poke Power: Neutral Damage: As long as this Pokémon is on your Bench, each Active Pokémon has no Weakness or Resistance.

Juggling: Flip 4 coins. This attack does 10 damage times the number of heads.

Now of course new game means new tricks, he thankfully only has 1 of the Jungle Mr. Mime, even if 1 is all he needs, but this Vending Mr. Mime ensures you can't wall Murray with a Colorless deck. That's why I didn't mind, I can still beat him on an even playing field!

Ah gently caress! Of course I'll be using as many Hyper Fangs as possible because I'm an idiot who loves flipping coins to do all the damage or none of the damage.

At least it can work both ways.

This, uh, could be going better.

Alright bro, that's it.

Since I was diligent in sniping his Abra, he didn't get the loving Damage Swap Alakazam up and running to make my life hell. Also surprised he didn't use any Scoop Ups, cause yeah he has all those tools still. With 4 Bills, 2 Nightly Garbage Runs and 2 Traders, his deck is even worse than the original, if that was even possible. I hope I never fight this guy again, good lord.

It seems you've got a secret power that trumps my psychic abilities. I'm going to focus my mind and power up so I won't lose to you next time!

C'mon, let's battle! I wanna begin right away!! Let's make it a quickie. 4 prize cards should do the trick!

Tired: using a Psychic deck for the Fighting club; Wired: using a Colorless deck for the Fighting club.

But I guess it didn't really matter? Goddamn Raticate you're on a rampage. Pretty simple deck, Jungle Primeape, Base Machamp, only weird card is Vending Hitmonchan, she even has 1 Moon Stone to get Jungle Dodrio out earlier. Otherwise 4 Potions, 2 Pluspowers and 2 Defenders make it impossible for her to draw anything useful, hence the very fast battle

A booster pack reward is given to the victor, as always. Training is hard, but battling is quite fun.

But in the heat of battle, there's no room for kindness or manners! Would you like to fight me to get that adrenaline pumping? Real battles are fought using 6 prize cards! Now! Begin! Come on, Minto!!

Ow. But also, uh, did he just...

Yup, dunno why he decided to do any of that, but we take those. He has 3 Mr. Mime for some reason, works a lot better in a Psychic deck, but I guess it has its uses. He bulks out with Lickitung and Promo Kangaskhan to build up the Evolution Promo Machamp which can hurt you before forcing you out. Otherwise with a smattering of Rainbow Energy and DCE, he has 2 Gust of Winds are something non-standard. Should've been a longer battle, but whatever.

Only 2 clubs left to go!

Let's have us a hot, blazing duel! Battles are more fiery with 4 prize cards!!

Man am I sick of this Magmar.

Least we can get it outta here, sure it would've been a waste if I'd gotten either coin flips wrong, but that's just how I roll!

I see 80 health disappearing next turn. This is a bit of weird card, do you want to do 40 damage for 4 energy or 40 damage for 3 energy? Decisions, decisions... At least John also has the Vending Rapidash which does up to 50 damage for 3 energy, as well as Promo Arcanine and GB Ninetales. Oh and a Meowth to draw cards, since aside from 26 Fire energy and 3 Bills, not much else to his deck.

Please use the cards you got from those boosters to make a fiery deck!

I've got some boosters with your name on 'em -- if you can beat me. Take 'em if you can, Minto! Let's have a heated battle! Better gather 6 prize cards as fuel for this blazing bout!

I swear I've faced this Vending Hitmonchan like 5 times today.

We don't have to Fly High every time we want to Drill Dive, but being out for a turn is a little annoying.

Please free me from this smokescreen hell.

I lived bitch

Okay we're back on track, phew, little dicey when you need to flip 2 coins to attack! Ken has a weird deck, Base Dewgong is cool, since it does FIFTY damage for 3 energy, which is actually kinda nuts, as well as Base Arcanine and Jungle Dodrio, letting him retreat easier. However only having 12 Fire energy limits him somewhat even with 4 Bills and 2 Traders, so it can be a puzzle for his AI to actually get the right combination to attack.

That was indeed a fiery match, Minto! Well played! Battles with you are always hot! You never fail to satisfy.

If you can defeat me in a card duel, I'll award some to you as a prize! Shall we set aside 6 prize cards as we have done in the past? Let's make this duel a fun one!

Now we lost to this guy before, but it had been a long day, I left the washing on, there was dust in my eye and I think my refrigerator is running!

Still, sniping some Basics helps get an early lead.

And then we take down some more Basics. Uh, okay, this is quite the lead we've now gotten.

Alright, well, if I land a Hyper Fang next turn I win since he decided not to evolve anything...

Cool. Well his deck did have Basic issues, since Zubat and Grimer and plentiful and also can't evolve. He has Base Chansey to stall while he sets up Vending Arbok and Weezing, but that didn't really work out for him. He had 2 Master Balls but only 2 Bills and had not many useful options like 25 Grass energy, Gambler and The Rocket's Trap, which only shuffles up to 3 cards from your opponent's hand, if you're lucky. In reality, you just snipe the Zubat and get an easy win, man how did I lose to this guy? I'm really bad at this game...

You've got some really strong cards and amazing strategies at work. Because of those traits, I always have fun when I battle against you.

Well wasn't that fun? Don't answer that. Next time is when we finally storm the castle, this pawn's gonna sink your battleship, Yahtzee!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 12: Checkmate

Imakuni...?

Oh? Who am I, you ask? Don't you know me? 'Tis I, the Super Musical Star, Imakuni?! What? You say Imakuni? wears black? No way! Don't you know anything? I'm the one and only Imakuni?, and you can clearly see I wear red. You're saying you've seen a black version of me? Preposterous! I'm red! Don't try and dispute the facts! What? Would I like to play cards with you? Sure thing kid! I'm just itching to duel 'em all! 6 prize cards! I don't like short duels!

To challenge the ultimate being, we've created the ultimate deck! Now you could put all 4 Legendary cards in your deck and not use them, but where's the fun in that, so we're use two versions of each Legendary, should be pretty wonky, but you can spend some time to build them up since they're pretty bulky.

As you'd expect, Imakuni? uses some... interesting cards you can only find on GR Island, but I don't think we'll have too much trouble.

Chad Imakuni? card versus Virgin Bill card.

The Legendary play from hand effects will be pretty helpful. You know, if they work.

We're basically set up here, so let's go to town. We need 3-4 energies for our attacks, so it's gonna take a while, but once we get rolling, it's very difficult to stop.

Hey he got a prize card! Good for him!

Raging Thunder: Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does 30 damage to 1 of your Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance.)

Thunder Crash: Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 20 more damage. If tails, this Pokémon does 20 damage to itself.

One of the new cards we'll be seeing is Vending Zapdos, which does a lot of damage, potentially to both sides! Takes a bit to get going, but can be more reliable than the actual Legendary card, you know, if you can survive the onslaught it can potentially deal back.

Red Imakuni?'s deck is similar to Black Imakuni?'s deck, y'all. All Psychic aside from Golduck, this time Dark Golduck, as well as some Colorless, in this case Meowth. His main draw is through Computer Error so he can get stuck very easily, but if he gets his Mr. Mime and Dark Hypno set up, he can do damage to all kinds of decks. Or confuse himself and get clowned on, either or.

Eh? I lost? Well... take this, then. When you see me next, I'll be even redder than I am now! I'm off to continue my vacation! I just love traveling, see you!

GR Castle

No more distractions, onto the Castle! Like his Black counterpart, yo, you can fight Red Imakuni? a few more times for more Promo cards, such as his Imakuni? card after 6 and 9 battles, getting you 4 copies, nice. Defeating him 3 and 6 times results in the Amnesia Slowpoke that we got trading unused energy in the last game, so not really worth it.

Ooh, you're hard, we'll be using the Legendary deck for the rest of the update, though it's kinda close to the Zapdos Scoop Up deck suggested by Chamale. It had no energy and had you playing Zapdos and Articuno over and over again to paralyze/do lots of damage to whatever unfortunate Basic is on the field, letting you win some games on the first turn, wow! Moltres is too good to have otherwise since I can usually procure energy for it, since we have to use it, but it was a cool idea regardless!

Poke Power: Aurora Veil: As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, prevent all effects of your opponent's attacks, including damage, done to each of your Benched Pokémon. This power cannot be used if this Pokémon is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed.

Ice Beam: Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

Yeah get used to that... we're starting off with this Promo Articuno, which I transcribed anyway since the only English scan is a little blurry. Indeed, this was originally a Vending card that was translated into a Promo in official July 2002 Pokemon Leagues. being updated to just include "Special Condition" since Burn was now a thing. It's a nice bench blocker and can attack with enough coaxing, but it's honestly just worth its Poke Power alone.

I like to start off building up a Moltres since I can get energy for it, which isn't guaranteed for the other 3, to then start building the others up as I get Energy Search and Bills and whatnot.

Well this is miserable, let's switch, it's not like the opponent is really doing all that much.

We're 3 battles from the end of the game, but it seems the opponent loves getting stuck and unable to evolve things.

Looks like Moltres can sweep from here, but come on, where's the fun in that?

We'll use Legendary Articuno which does 40 damage to a random opponent, not consistent, but I need some variety, using the same Pokemon against poor dumb AI is just sad.

Oh hey he's able to whittle me down and get a prize card, nice!

Alright you've forced my hand, I'll use Legendary Zapdos, which does 70 damage to a random Pokemon on the field, also not very consistent, but we're so far ahead I can be a little frrrrrrisky.

Now that could've gone very poorly, but you just needed to believe in the liver of the Kuriboh or whatever and you'll be just fine. It's not too surprising Clay wasn't able to do much, since he has 4 different types and barely enough energy to go around, with 4 Bills and 3 Oaks he could probably get them easily enough, but it's having the right cards to get Dark Gloom, Dark Charmeleon, Dark Golduck or Dark Slowbro, the latter of which could've really helped him early, especially since its attack isn't all that. It can be a tricky deck to prepare for with the Legendary albatross around your neck, but the AI really struggles with more than 2 types of energy.

I won't lie. Whelp... I admit that you do have some strength. You may have won against me... but Allison is still here!! There's no way you'll beat her. You'll never make it to Villicci! Go on! It's time to fight Allison!

Clay, please step aside. Everything rests on my shoulders now.

Ahh...

The first rule is "Tough Escape". All Pokemon retreating to the bench pay 1 extra energy card to do so. As such, Pokemon normally paying 1 energy to retreat must now pay 2.

My second rule is "Black Hole". All cards placed into the Discard Pile are removed from the game.

Finally, I may implement the "Low Resistance" rule. The reduction that resistance has on attacks is -10 instead of -30. When you duel against me, one of these 3 rules will be in effect. That said, will you fight me or will you withdraw?

All Pokemon must pay 1 additional energy card to retreat. Let's get started with our 6 prize card duel!

Phew, we didn't get Black Hole. That rule is so much worse than the other two it's actually funny, my standard strategy would completely fall apart if I couldn't regain stuff from the discard with Nightly Garbage Run. The other rules are so whatever, I hardly ever retreat since I run 4 Switches and the resistance rule doesn't matter if you're not hitting for weakness, which I try to avoid to make this even slightly challenging.

Looks like I'm using Dragonite this battle. Woo. Early paralysis helps a lot to stop Scyther from murdering me, though it's still a couple turns from Slash.

Of course I'll be powering up a Moltres in the back, and also energy for Dragonair helps too. Unless you need the heal, there's not much point evolving to the Legendary Dragonite since it has the exact same Slam attack. At least Fossil Dragonite let you switch it in after you evolved it and its Slam did 10 extra damage.

Stalling with Hyper Beam is also very useful if your opponent can't attack with their Active just yet, mills their energy something fierce.

But hey, if you keep rolling double heads, then maybe this Dragonite ain't bad at all. (It's still bad).

Alright that's enough of that garbage for a lifetime, let's freeze some fools.

Good thing I got a second Dragonite, we might need it. Dark Muk is pretty scary if you don't have Switch, though I don't know why you wouldn't. This is when the rule actually becomes a little tricky since now we need SEVEN energy to retreat our big birds, which is pretty insane. Guaranteed Poison means you also do 40 damage for 2 energy, which is nuts! It's pretty drat fragile, but will happily trap that big Basic the AI just loves throwing down.

Okay phew, landing both coins was instrumental in doing enough damage to knock it out. Now to clean up with... what mon do I have left to attack with?

Hmm. Hmmmmmmmmmm. This might be a problem. At least you can use it in this deck due to all the high HP Basics.

Phew, that got a little scary, but that deck was a lot of fun to dance around. Of course she has a different deck for each rule, so let's go over them. The only mon we didn't see from this one was the Neutral Mr. Mime, not that you'd use a Fire deck anyway since all but Scyther are weak to Psychic. She has a couple Full Heal Energy so you can't disable Dark Muk's ability too easily with status, as well as Gust of Wind and Defender to have you slowly die from Poison with little recourse.

For her Low Resistance deck she uses some real hard hitters of Base Hitmonchan and Mewtwo, oh and Wall Mr. Mime so your increased damage against her will get blocked instead! Evil fucker. I guess Fossil Sandslash is here too, but whatever, her layout is otherwise pretty similar, with Potions instead to heal that pitiful 20 damage, along with more Energy options due to using two types.

Finally, her last deck is the most delightfully devilish, having SEVEN Super/Energy Removal to really ensure you can't attack, since it's all completely gone. She has 4 Bills, 4 Oaks and 4 Bill's Teleporters to make sure she can draw as much as possible before you can discard it, as well as Gust of Wind to force you to retreat. Oh and the cherry on top is Base Blastoise, letting her put down a lot of energy before you can do anything about it. And she has Hyper Beam Golduck as well, just in case you didn't hate this deck enough. Do not fight her under these conditions, she will do everything she can to make your life miserable.

It's no surprise that you've won against both Clay and me. You have some very unique and cunning tactics indeed. Since you've defeated us both, it's time for you to meet Villicci. Please follow.

Hoho, so you managed to best both Clay and Allison, I see. The time has come for you and I to have our decisive card battle. Clay! Allison! Begone!

When you lose miserably to Villicci, you'll come to understand his power. You'll find out the hard way that Team GR is in the right.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if you can defeat Villicci.

It is under this philosophy that I have founded Team GR! What's the point in collecting cards if they are not useful in battle? They must be used, I say!

I have invented new ways to battle, putting those wasted cards to use! This is the ultimate for of devotion towards Pokemon cards! They are not meant to be stashed away like our foes do with them! Only one with the upmost respect for cards can be a master of them. I will never be defeated by a simpleton who merely collects them! But the time has come! Have a seat, I shall destroy you in a fiery duel!

Of course, you will have the chance to do the same with your decks, too. Let us begin our decisive battle. The first player to gain 2 total wins will be declared the victor. Set aside 6 prize cards. Now, which deck shall I use?

Team GR King Duel

Minto... I feel this is the final stage of our fight against Team GR... but I've already lost... it's all up to you now! Please, Minto! Defeat King Villicci! Stop Team GR! Use your amazing cunning to utilize the full power of your cards!! I beg of you, Minto... heed the boons of my final scouting mission well. I was completely overwhelmed by the Team GR Executives... because of that, I couldn't gather much information about the GR King Villicci. I do know that he has 4 different decks, though! Moreover, a battle against Villicci is a long ordeal to say the least. You need to beat him 2 times, and he switches deck for each match! He'll switch freely between his 4 powerful decks, so stay alert! Make sure you use your most reliable deck and play carefully! Hang in there, Minto!! Ronald (O__O)

Here's what we've been building up all LP, not off to a great start, but I gotta say, after everything we've heard, seeing his intimidating artwork, yes that's the best quality we have, his in-game portraits are absolutely hilarious and completely undercut the tension! But maybe that's the point, let's see how our Legendary deck fares!

We've got an early lead due to some lucky Ice Breaths, but hitting the solid wall in front of us would be nice.

Oh now you hit it, after he switched it out.

Still, the Legendary Moltres is here to beat you up.

Uh, most of the time. That's what the Dragonite is here for!

Well that was... anticlimactic, at least there's a second fight. As the name implies this was SUPPOSED to be a Dark Machamp deck, but that's a little difficult when I snipe your Machop and only leave you with barely benign big Basics. Also included Dark Clefable so you couldn't deal with Dark Machamp before it could throw out half of your squad, along with copious amounts of Defender and Gust of Wind to stick around and get rid of the most dangerous members of your team. Again, like I say for MOST opponents, in theory. Evolutions are a big pitfall in the TCG and sniping those poor wee Basics makes his strategy that much weaker. Oh well, next!

You are free to change your decks. What will you do? Good... then let us begin the next battle! Set aside your 6 prize cards and we'll start the competition.

Alright at least this way he can get some cards to start off with. But what's with that deck name, what Pokemon could he use that would make him say RIP?

Oh. OHHHHHHHHHH FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK. This might be a problem.

At least we're able to deal with this immediate issue, but that still doesn't solve the Dark Dragonair, Dark Venusaur combo.

Who has two thumbs and doesn't have any Full Heals, this fucker.

Well ain't that just loving great. Paralysis is a death since it 2HKOs everything with Poison. Sure I'm relying on getting through Confusion in order to attack, but that's all I have.

But hey even with Poison I can now survive a Horrid Poll- OH COME ON!!!

But hey that's... that's one down... If you were wondering what the opponent could use so I finally have a rough time, this is definitely one of them. Thank god this is 2 outta 3.

Okay let's switch and regroup. If we could just ignore Dark Venusaur that'd be great...

Okay, we've got Articuno on deck, if it could hit the Dark Venusaur that'd be great... but I won't say no to another prize card.

Please stop kicking my rear end... Still, since he KOed a weak mon, we get a turn to attack. If I hit it or something weak in the back with an Ice Breath, we'll be through!

We broke through Confusion and hit Mr. Mime twice! That's a baseball!

gently caress me, what a way to end this game. Still, that's what makes it fun! I still had the deck out option in case things went super south, even Dark Venusaur couldn't chew through all of my team in 4 turns. Maybe. We saw his whole strategy and how it nearly worked, he'll use his 3 Traders to get Dark Dragonair, AI likes using that card, and will shore up his Dark Venusaur with Pluspower and Gust of Wind to kick your rear end.

GR Castle

How could I have been defeated in a card battle against you... twice? Yet I had insurmountable fun in these duels... how could this be? My heart... it's still beating so fast! I've never had such fun playing the Pokemon Card Game before! This is the first time I've ever lost playing the Pokemon Card Game. Do you remember what I said before? "Cards are only meant to be used". I thought cards were only useful when they brought power to a deck.

No matter how you use your Pokemon cards, you must enjoy yourself! You made me realize this during our card battles! Minto... thank you very much! I give you my word that we shall stop stealing cards from innocent people. Pokemon cards ought to be in the hands of the people who love them. If I've learned anything from my cards, it's the value of friends. Here, take the insignia of my friendship now!

I'll also give you this very rare card as a gift from Team GR.

That resolves our dispute, then! Don't you agree, Minto? Let's both continue on, sharing passion for our Pokemon cards!

Credits

Well, uh, that's one way to stop an evil king, steal his heart of the cards! That was a drat fun game, won't spend much time on the credits, we're all eager to move on.

Thanks for joining me on these 2 gems. Well, the second game is definitely great, but the first one should be appreciated so you can get a hang of things. These games aren't difficult in the slightest, there's a few tricky spots, losses mainly due to a bad opening hand, but thanks to everyone submitting decks to make this a really amazing sandbox LP, I had an absolute blast, like always!

Of course we're not done just yet, there's a little more to go over, just a bit more than the first game, look forward to the Sealed Fortress, spooky!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 12, 2020

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There we go, took a bit of time, but better to pace yourself and finish than never finish at all! Thanks to everyone joining me on this little adventure, even if it took a little longer than I would've liked.

Of course, there's still a bit of postgame to cover, but that doesn't mean we can't start planning our adventure in the Big Applin! What do you call a fire pig? There are literally hundreds of puns you can make so it better be a good one!. Also what will his green monkey companion be called?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Crosspeice posted:

What do you call a fire pig? There are literally hundreds of puns you can make so it better be a good one!.

Clearly you should call it Bacon's revenge. Oh wait, you only have ten spaces. In that case BcnRevenge. Or something that shrinks the phrase better. No opinion on the monkey.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure green monkeys are Disappointment and sadness

Oh and I guess we can use the old standby of ChrisPBacon for our pig buddy.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 12, 2020

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Obviously we name our piggie LtBacon and our monkey friend Specter because I love Ape Escape and the monkey is close enough to being a sociopathic little ape of evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
The King of Team GR looks a lot more regal and threatening than the King of Team Plasma (at least his promotional art - that in-game portrait is pretty derpy) but their goals and motivations are inverse to their looks. I can easily sympathize with N wanting to free Pokémon from slavery but Dark Victini here wants to... free cardboard from being stacked?
That's goofy and totally fitting for this charming game.

In rememberance of the most emotional moment in Illusion of Gaia any fire pig will always be Hamlet to me.