Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, dang. I had plans for an LP of this on the backburner for years that I eventually gave up on, so I'm happy to see someone else do it. As for decks, how about Wigglytuff and Clefable?

Waggle your fingers and do the wave! And call the deck Clap Your Hands! For real, Wigglytuff is terrible in the video games, but it's halfway playable in the TCG!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

forgive the lovely art, but

his palm is facing out
it's still a dumb pose, and the thumb is a little awkward, but it's not that bad
slaps my Pokemon cards out of the air for the aesthetic

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kemix posted:

Go for a good old Blastoise nuke deck. Put in as many water energy, bills and whatever else you need to turbo out Blastoise and NUKE EVERYTHING WITH TURBO FLOODS
Blastoise and Professor Oak do some crazy poo poo together. Typically, Tier 1 Rain Dance was Blastoise and, once Fossil was released, Articuno, though it could also use Gyarados.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Slippery42 posted:

Quite the understatement! As I remember the meta during the period this game's based on, Wigglytuff was one of the few evolution cards viable at all in competitive play.
Yeah, probably a bit of an understatement. It's also the only evolution not hard countered by Fossil Muk, since it doesn't have an ability to block. (Alakazam can still nuke Muk, to be fair, but not in one shot without a PlusPower.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Also I'm not sure what haymakers you used to play in the days of yore but here it was always Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, Scyther. No fire involved.
In the Base-Fossil format, Fossil Magmar was used as an annoyer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yessss, Venusaur/Exeggutor! :getin:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kikas posted:

Is there a Showdown for the TCG or something like that?
There's an official FTP client. It's pretty okay. You can buy cards with the free currency that they give you plenty of if you know how to use it efficiently (in which case they're trade-locked), or real money. But they have a gimmick, where every physical booster pack contains a code, and you can put it into the client to get a pack in the digital game that isn't tradelocked.

Here's the thing. There are lots of stores that open tons of packs looking for singles, so they bulk sell the codes to websites that resell them for $0.50 to $1.00 per code, depending on how valuable the pack is considered. If you decide you wanna get into it, I have a stack of like ten code cards on my desk that I never used that I'd be willing to give you.

Sorites posted:

Do most serious games between people get decided based on prizes or the lack of an eligible Pokemon?
Mostly Prizes, especially now that EX/GX Pokemon worth two (or even three!) prizes exist. However, there's still a term for it happening, called a 'donk'. (Ex: "His deck was probably better than mine, but I got lucky and donked him.") For example, maybe you're playing Buzzwole GX/Garbodor. It's a very popular, very powerful deck, and Buzzwole is an immediate and very dangerous Pokemon but there's still the possibility that your opening hand will have a single Trubbish, and you don't draw any more basics during your initial frantic dig, or not enough to make up for the loss of early momentum and you get steamrolled in a couple terms. That's a donk, and it's one of the reasons that competitive Pokemon is always played best two out of three.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 27, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Level Seven posted:

Until they printed a supporter (Lysander's Trump Card) that shuffled the discard pile back into the deck.
Which got banned a while back because it basically rendered not just mill unviable, but also meant that you could recycle all your cards indefinitely. LTC didn't even remove itself from the game.

Unfortunately, by that point, Durant's best support cards had rotated out, so the deck was dead. It's still a fun casual deck, though it's not quite as budget as it once was, since this was 6-7 years ago.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd say a GX Attack is more akin to a Z-Move, especially since they came out at around the same time. (Hell, they printed a couple Z Crystal item cards that give Pokemon with specific attacks a GX Attack.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MightyPretenders posted:

I'll be honest. I gave up on getting back into pokemon cards when I heard they'd gone the route of disallowing old card sets.
Do you really want to play a TCG with someone who's been building a deck out of all the best possible cards collected over the last 20 years?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's funny, they keep printing Pokeball, and keep putting it in starter decks, but they also keep printing other, better Ball cards, too.

Great Ball lets you check the top 7 cards of your deck for a Pokemon, Ultra Ball is a Pokemon-specific Computer Search, Nest Ball grabs a Basic and drops it straight down on the bench... even the closest analogue, Timer Ball, lets you flip two coins and gives you an evolved Pokemon card for each heads. They improved Potion a while ago (even though it's still bad), but I guess they've never come up with any clean way to make Pokeball better and still stay loyal to the old design. And they can't exactly not have Pokeballs in the Pokemon game, so kids and players who don't know better are just stuck playing with cards that do nothing 50% of the time. Pokemon TCG in general is a very flippy, luck-heavy game. It probably comes as no surprise that the best cards and the best decks are generally the ones that remove or mitigate the luck aspect as much as possible.

Edit: The only counter-example I can think of was in the early 2010s, when there was a Victini in print that let you retry a coin flip (or series of coin flips) for your Pokemon's attack once per turn. The deck, fittingly called Fliptini, was a fun gimmick, but it never took off because even using Victini didn't guarantee you'd always get heads. It did, however, guarantee that you had a weak, frail Pokemon on your bench just asking to get dragged out and punched in the face and destroying your strategy, leaving your primary attacker back to being completely dependent on luck. So even the card designed to make luck-based decks good... wasn't actually good.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 1, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Actually, the second one is technically correct if you include the stipulation that it's unusable below 3 water. Sorry for misinterpreting you.
Which is automatically included in the attack's energy cost! :eng101:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

rannum posted:

Yeah. Dragon Type was finally introduced towards the end of Gen 5 (with the gimmick of: it doesnt have its own energy & always takes 2 different types) and Fairy was introduced with the first XY set. They also introduced vanilla, non-special Dark & Steel energy during gen 4's TCG
I still find the differences in development between the main games and the TCG to be interesting. In main Pokemon, Dragon was so overpowered that they needed an entire type just to hose it (and indirectly buff the two worst offensive types.)

In the TCG, though, dragons are... Well, there's a Garchomp deck that's very solid in Theme Deck format? :shrug: Meanwhile, there's been at least one top-tier fairy deck in pretty much every format since the type's introduction. Usually involving Gardevoir.

Edit: Speaking of 'Pokemon that are surprisingly and hilariously good in the TCG: Garbodor. One Garbodor, with Garbotoxin, hoses entire strategies by just turning off all Abilities as long as it's holding an item. It's been reprinted or effectively reprinted a few different times, and it is still a top-tier Pokemon that you absolutely need to have multiple answers for if you're going to use a deck with a lot of abilities.

Meanwhile, video game Garbodor is... a good Spikes setter in the Never-Used tier.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 3, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I got in! :toot:

Sorry Clefable was garbage, I forgot how the AI works in this game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Chamale posted:

30 damage for one energy is the best ratio in the game. The theory is that Farfetch'd can attack on the first turn, then use DCE to attack consistently on the second. It's not a good card, but it's not utter trash. Looks a bit like Scyther if you squint.
Compare to Nidoran Male, who has a similar one energy flip-for-30 attack, 10 less HP, and no resistance... but can evolve.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ironically, since Colorless resists Psychic, it's actually pretty much the same situation as in RBY competitive, where the best Pokemon are overwhelmingly either Normal or Psychic type.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

mr_stibbons posted:

I'd like to see you try your hand at a fossil deck
Aerodactyl lockdown!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

kinda wanted to physically attack rod for putting his unsleeved card in his mouth

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

Jeremy Jarvis, there isnt a reference to the dude who prayed at every rear end crack he saw in a tourney. You better have drawn that before he did that.
Unhinged came out...

Fifteen years ago. Jesus, I feel old.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

I'd really love them to create a new one of these with all the new rules, uncompressed art, deck advice based on people playing the game for decades now, and of course a slightly more functional ai.
There's PTCGO, which is free to play. The AI isn't spectacular, but there's stuff to do and it earns you cards for PVP.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't know which is better, Mint:), Minto:), or Min[glottal stop]to

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Every Alakazam that's been printed since then has been something that can just drop on the board as a 'Zam right away. At this point, they could probably just settle with Uri out of court, but that's not likely to happen when it's cheaper and easier for them to just... not print Kadabras.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Leraika posted:

Gotta do the original Team Rocket trio. Make a deck called Team Rocket's Rockin' with Dark Arbok, Dark Weezing, and Dark Persian.
This, but since the name's already been used, instead call it REALROCKET, and stomp these cardboard-stealing chumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Leraika posted:

This works.
I only just now finally mentally processed your avatar, and realized it's a Goomy on top of a Gastrodon's head.

It's adorable. :3: