Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Defender card actually protects you from 20 damage, and it can save your own guys from Self-Destruct in this game. With that in mind, please use the Magneton and Golem lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FoolyCharged posted:

I just remember that when I was a kid everyone awed over charizard and it's big huge damage numbers. Meanwhile Blastoise was sitting in the corner going "I can one shot drat near anything in the game on turn 2. Rules? What are rules?"

I didnt realize this until decades later when I replayed the gameboy game because while kid me had the blastoise card, I did not have warturtle.

For some reason the Pokemon Breeder card seemed impossible for find for me in the Gameboy game.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I went to my first and only Pokemon TCG tournament around 2004, I remember seeing a kid sobbing because his Weedle deck lost a game on the first turn.

If this Gameboy game can be romhacked, it would be interesting to give the Club Leaders some elite decklists and see if they're smart enough to pose a greater challenge. As a kid I loved the idea of Pokemon card battles but never really got the chance to play.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just played this game for the first time in many years, and it's much easier than I remembered. I battled everybody only once and finished the entire game without losing a single battle. The AI just sucks and tends to squander its energy cards, also any deck with fewer than four Bill and Professor Oak is a mistake.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Is there a reason not to combine the giant water turtle with the eggpalm? If I don't miss anything that combo would give you am arbitrary amount of coin tosses.

Blastoise's ability only works on Water Pokemon.

Solumin posted:

I absolutely cannot parse Hydro Pump.

Is it limiting how much energy you can put towards powering it up further?

Yes. The maximum damage is 60. Like early Magic cards, a lot of early Pokemon cards had weird and inconsistent phrasing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Maybe they should have given Blastoise three Water moves, like every kid's starter Pokemon.

Water Gun, UUU, 30

Surf, UUUU, 40

Hydro Pump, UUUUU, 50

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BisbyWorl posted:

So let me get this straight.

You have a 50% chance to do absolutely nothing on an attack that can only be used once per fight? That only does 30 damage even if it does work?

30 damage for one energy is the best ratio in the game. The theory is that Farfetch'd can attack on the first turn, then use DCE to attack consistently on the second. It's not a good card, but it's not utter trash. Looks a bit like Scyther if you squint.

I've always loved damaging the bench in this game for some reason. Maybe it's because of how the AI floods you with crappy basics and takes forever to build up.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I know I've read that Rain Dance decks were weak to Mr. Mime because Blastoise and Articuno can't touch him, but I have no idea if that was ever significant in the meta. Hitmonchan was one of the most played Pokemon back then, and he crushes Mime in two turns.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love how Parasect is inferior to basic Scyther in every possible way. Just goes to show that as long as you have enough Trainer cards, anything can defeat the AI.

In the sequel, thanks to the existence of Super Scoop Up and more card draw, you can make a legendary Zapdos deck that consistently wins on turn one

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Poor Kadabra. Uri Geller, the spoon-bending "psychic" fraud, threatened to sue over Kadabra's design and as a result there have been no new Kadabra cards for over a decade.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

rannum posted:

TCG 2 makes TCG1 just feel less like a first game and more like a beta run, honestly, and we're not even in the second half of the game

Is the AI in 2 still unforgivably bad? That's the real flaw in the game. They should have at least given all the club leaders functional decks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Are you planning to use cheats to unlock all the cards at some point? If so, I'd love to see you donk the AI with a Legendary Zapdos deck. Something like:

4 Legendary Zapdos
4 Legendary Articuno
3 Chansey
4 Bill
4 Professor Oak
4 Computer Search
4 Item Finder
4 Scoop Up
4 Super Scoop Up
4 Mr. Fuji
4 Bill's Teleporter
4 Recycle
4 Poke Ball
4 Maintenance
4 Pokemon Trader
1 Here Comes Team Rocket!

You can't attack, but by scooping up and repeatedly replaying Zapdos, you should be able to win most games on the first turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Crosspeice posted:

This is your last chance to submit any decks for the last fights of the game, doesn't matter if they're too cohesive, having a fun lightning round to do the few postgame fights sounds like fun!

I'd still love to see the Legendary Zapdos combo deck.

4 Legendary Zapdos
4 Legendary Articuno
3 Chansey
4 Bill
4 Professor Oak
4 Computer Search
4 Item Finder
4 Scoop Up
4 Super Scoop Up
4 Mr. Fuji
4 Bill's Teleporter
4 Recycle
4 Poke Ball
4 Maintenance
4 Pokemon Trader
1 Here Comes Team Rocket!

You can't attack, but by scooping up and repeatedly replaying Zapdos, you should be able to win most games on the first turn.