Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

For real, Wigglytuff is terrible in the video games, but it's halfway playable in the TCG!

Quite the understatement! As I remember the meta during the period this game's based on, Wigglytuff was one of the few evolution cards viable at all in competitive play. If you saw evolutions at all, they'd almost always be Wiggly, Blastoise, or Alakazam. Water and Psychic suffered from having few/no viable basic-level powerhouses, so they'd have to be a little lucky in order to survive until their decks got going. The Normal-type Wigglytuff, however, could be bolted onto basically anything (including the Haymaker standards of Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, or Fossil Magmar).

Regarding Imakuni, his Doduo doesn't happen to be in the game, does it? Not that that particular card's gimmicks could exactly be performed on a Game Boy...

I once made a deck based around the Goldeen and Sandshrew evolution lines using no rare cards in an attempt to keep things sporting at a more casual shop I occasionally played at. If you want a challenge deck, there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Also I'm not sure what haymakers you used to play in the days of yore but here it was always Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, Scyther. No fire involved.

Fossil Magmar had quite a few uses that could convince players to favor it over chan in their trinity. Scyther was in pretty much everyone's deck, and it had both a fighting resistance and fire weakness. Magmar could also stay on the line a bit longer than Hitmonchan (its smokescreen could force misses) thus allowing Wigglytuff-based decks more time to set-up. The poison chance on its Smog had a few uses in the meta as well. Notably, Mr. Mime also had that gimmick power that blocked attacks dealing over 20 damage, and Smog could slip under it.

Magmar was a bit more often favored at a shop I played at that ran tournaments using Japanese rules and expansions. There was a Zapdos in one of those sets (I think the second Gym expansion) that a lot of players would use instead of/alongside Electabuzz, and with Scyther being a given, that was enough resistance to fighting to make people playing the meta consider alternatives.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Sorites posted:

Do most serious games between people get decided based on prizes or the lack of an eligible Pokemon?

It's always a danger to not have the cards you need to form a bench in your opening hand, but between the rule added where the first player to take a turn can't attack on that turn and power creep making everyone a little more durable, I'd say there's less danger to losing by lack-of-eligibles these days.

It was more likely back in the base-fossil era this game's based on, however. I seem to remember a very min/maxed Haymaker variant posted around forums of that day whose creator dubbed it "Insanity". Its idea was to go extremely lean on everything that wasn't a Trainer card. So a split of something like 8 pokemon, 12 energy, and 40 trainers. The idea would be to control the board and get exactly the card you need when you need it with your trainers. A lot of the Trainers required you to discard stuff, and you only had energy to power 2-3 'mons total (after factoring in removals), 'mons you drew beyond that were dead weight and therefore viable sacrifices. So if you could somehow get that deck on the back foot, it'd likely end with prizes still on the board. Also notable: a double-pluspowered Hitmonchan could take down a lone Jigglypuff on turn 1.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

What the hell is this :psyduck: Is there any point that's not doing 80+ damage on turn 2?!

It's important to consider that this particular Mewtwo belongs to a class of Pokemon called EX that the game introduced somewhere later in its lifecycle. EX cards have a few balancing factors. First, they're worth two prize cards if they're KOed, so there's risk balancing out the reward when using cards this powerful. Second, there are a number of Pokemon that specifically counter EX cards. Some are hard-counters like "ignore damage from EX cards", and others are soft-counters with attacks that deal a boatload of additional damage to EX cards. Finally, other big basic-level Pokemon looked like this when I dabbled with Pokemon TCG Online a few years ago. A far cry from the 70 HP powerhouses of yore :)

I'm not a huge fan of EX cards, but that might just be a bit of saltiness from a booster draft I played where I pulled none and all of my opponents managed to find one to build a deck around.