Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Oh, the slap fights I'd have with my sister about whether Double Colorless counts as both discards for Fire Spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Do most serious games between people get decided based on prizes or the lack of an eligible Pokemon?

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I just remembered my one and only time playing the TCG with cards. I used the old Mulligan Mewtwo deck in the window when the Mulligan draw was mandatory. Nobody liked me.

For those who don't know: There was a time when, if your opening hand had no basic Pokemon, your opponent HAD to draw a card as compensation for you getting to Mulligan. It was mandatory.

So you could run a deck with only psychic energy and one copy of Mewtwo. By the time you drew to it, your opponent would have drawn a fair amount of their deck. You could then take advantage of Mewtwo having an attack which prevented all damage next turn in exchange for discarding one energy card, of which you had a million.

They changed that rule.

Sorites fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 27, 2019

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Solumin posted:

I absolutely cannot parse Hydro Pump.

Is it limiting how much energy you can put towards powering it up further?

"If this card has exactly four attached Water Energy, Hydro Pump does 10 extra damage. If this card has five or more attached Water Energy, Hydro Pump does 20 extra damage."

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Does anyone remember that TV commercial where the kid calls Electabuzz "arguably the best basic Pokemon in the game"? I don't know why, but that never got unstuck from my head. Maybe it was his hammy delivery.

I also enjoy how simple Pokemon cards are. The self-destruction effect doing overkill recoil damage is so straightforward compared to "Knock out this Active Pokemon and send it to the discard pile, and if you do, inflict 80 points of battle damage to the Defending Pokemon."

Sorites fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 7, 2019

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

loving up the big tier 3 guy with a big retreat cost. Mime literally sits there and takes no damage from them unless your opponent undoes the build up on the dude.

I wonder if anyone ever ran a deck that auto lost to Mr. Mime and got away with it because who would expect that.

Or does competitive Pokemon have side decks?

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It does not. And matches are best of one. Because that's fun.

Best of one in a game with coin-flip first turn and in which most players can draw their whole deck in one turn?

I guess I don't know what I expected from the franchise that gave us VGC rules.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

How did Mystery Mew work as a physical card, did you roll dice for the damage or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

This is even hokier than Yu-Gi-Oh and more farfetched. I love it.