Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Slippery42 posted:

Regarding Imakuni, his Doduo doesn't happen to be in the game, does it? Not that that particular card's gimmicks could exactly be performed on a Game Boy...

IIRC, the only Imakuni? card in the game is Imakuni? itself.

Also this game is cute and fun. I don't even remember what I used but it's easy enough that even someone as bad at deck building as me could get through it.

Also I'll vote for Charizard because it's the card we all remember and Arcanine because it's my favourite Gen 1 Pokemon. It is a very Hot.dek.

Since Charizard is not avaliable, changing this vote for Arcanine and its counterpart Ninetales instead. Still Hot.dek.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crosspeice posted:

:stare: Alright, I leave for Darkrai raid hour and come back to around triple the audience participation I was expecting. Nice!

I'll only do a Pokemon once, even if it has a different card, so since I'm doing the starters for recording buffering, I won't be showing them again. You're free to edit your stuff at any time, I won't be picking suggestions for a week or so. Make sure to remember to name your deck too! Otherwise, good suggestions so far, definitely getting the wheels in my head turning.

drat. Okay, I've updated my post. Too bad though, that Charizard is good memories incarnate.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Onmi posted:

That said, Charizard is obviously the weakest coolest of the group.

Big numbers = best card, don't @ me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This guy looks weirdly familiar...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

rannum posted:

The TCG is a little odd in places. Electric is "Lightning", Steel is "Metal", Dark is "Darkness". It isn't even a translation issue, either, japan calls the game type Electric and the TCG type Lightning too.

And of course, instead of calling it "Normal", we have Colorless even though none of hte other types use color terminology. Not like it'd be confusing, even, Grass (& later, Poison) is used for Poison, Water is used for Ice, Fighting for Rock and Ground, etc

The main thing with the type names in the TCG in Japanese is that they use a single kanji rather than hiragana or katakana like the types in the games, likely for space-saving measures. Thus, we have differences, like でんき (denki) becoming 雷 (kaminari). I'm guessing that the types that have equivalent kanji keep their names (such as Fire) while the rest change to similar ones due to that. There's no real reason for the English translation to follow the same route, since obviously it won't use kanji to save space, yet it does so we have those inconsistencies.

That said, the inconstencies are themselves inconsistent between languages! Psychic and Fighting actually have different names in Japanese (TCG is "chou" and "to", games is "esper" and "kakuto") while Steel and Dark are identical ("hagane" and "aku", respectively). Fire, Water and Grass are identical regardless of language. Dragon and Fairy are interesting in that they don't use kanji anymore, so the names are completely identical between TCG and games. Colourless is clearly considered something different from Normal, seeing how the name isn't even remotely close.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It wouldn't be a Gen 1 game if Psychic wasn't the overwhelmingly best type, I guess.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

kinda wanted to physically attack rod for putting his unsleeved card in his mouth

I don't recommend you ever playing Digimon: Digital Card Battle then. The characters there do far worse to their cards than just holding them in their mouths.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh, so that's why her name has ッ.

She's learned from the person that got her into the card game in the first place. She's upholding Dr. Mason's legacy of smiles.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The game sure ignores the fact that Isaac was willingly on Team GR's side before you kicked his boss' rear end. At least Murray was brainwashed, Isaac has no excuses.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, that was a long Game Corner update. I'm impressed that a spinoff has one, but even more that it has so many things, even stuff that isn't luck-based (well, not more luck-based than a card game has to be)

Doesn't make me miss them though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

For some reason, I find her first claim here hard to believe.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LiefKatano posted:

These guys are oddly upbeat for you stopping their takeover.

And doing so successfully.

I don't think they care much about the whole "bad guy" thing, most of them just seem to want a good time playing card games.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"We'll see if you have more power than us" is not something you say to the person that had to save your rear end and the asses of your friends, Rod. MINTO :) has already proven that just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

A fire pig and a grass monkey, you say? Well, if my Pokemon knowledge doesn't fail me, the latter would be a Grookey at least.

Also it was fun seeing the story mode of a game that never left Japan. I do like the silliness of it all, though I feel that last tournament really breaks the flow of the story. "You can finally face the big bad!...as soon as you get these four cards first", it just makes the Elite Four here look like assholes since they were victims of Team GR but they still refuse to actually help.