Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Yup! There's also two Japanese versions named Dynamite Baseball and Dynamite Baseball '99. Might be annoying to play in MAME as the joysticks and bats are all analog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

When I'm exhausted from computer touching at work all day, it's relaxing to work with my hands directly instead. Recently I've been fixing more arcade PCBs; the cheapest way to get quality games is to get them broken, on purpose, and fix them.

I got an Irem Skins Game off eBay, where some clown had tried to replace some connectors and done a botched job. A lot of traces were ripped up, and it was covered in flux.

Here's how it looked in game. A lot of sprite data lines were severed:

I had to do some patches like this:

Now it's fine.

I got a Neo-Geo 4 slot PCB off eBay as well, this time chosen because it looked like it had a really easy to fix problem.

On boot, it says this:

Looks to me like VRAM's D11 line is flaky or not connected. However, probably it's fine, because that same VRAM renders our text.
I probed with a multimeter, and identified that D11 was connected just fine. So, on goes some chiquik, and I'm going to replace the high VRAM IC (it is the lower-left Sony chip)

A clean removal:

I replaced the chip, and we're back in business.

If anyone likes hearing this kind of poo poo, I'll post more. Otherwise I'll stop by default.

Hatsune Mike fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 25, 2019

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

I got a deal on two Toaplan Dogyuun PCBs not long ago. Both in non-working condition, but the thought was they can be combined to make one that works. They were a little dirty, but seemed ok.

Well, uh, I got them, and it became obvious that someone had tried to "work on them" in the past. In particular, they had used a paint-stripping heat gun, and very poorly transplanted one of the GP9001 graphics ICs, which is a big 208-pin QFP package with somewhat fine pitch.

They did such a nasty job that the PCB itself got burnt, and a lot of traces and pins were bent or destroyed. Furthermore, the heat damage to the PCB is so bad that the FR-4 (PCB substrate) has bubbles in it. Finally, the QFP package is misplaced; just about all the pins are off by half. That is, they fail to land on their correct pad, and straddle two pads, causing shorts or no contact.

Here are some gore shots:

As carefully as possible, I removed the mauled chip:

Some of those pads are toast, and I don't have high hopes for them. I straightened out the ones I was able to. The ones that were too messy, I simply removed, and ran 30AWG test fixture wires. Later on, these can be replaced with more fine wire links that are neatly arranged, but step 1 is to make sure any of this poo poo even works.

After doing cleanup on the PCB and straightening the IC's legs to the best of my ability, I put the chip back down on the PCB and soldered it back on. Tons of fly wires replace missing pads.

Meanwhile, all the sockets for various ICs on the board are covered in some sort of goo. I don't know if this previous hack repairman used some sort of spray flux, but it's all over everything. This socket felt really spongy, so I pulled it and replaced it.

Barf! There's poo poo _between_ them!

At least the PCB underneath these sockets cleaned up (shot from another socket, but same sort of deal)

Anyway after a lot of bullshit the game's working.

I skipped a bit of the story; the other GP9001 graphics IC that wasn't mauled was actually defective, with the sprite DRAM signals being completely absent. I had to transplant that one too, from the other Dogyuun parts board I had.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just want to say this thread owns and while I don't have the money time space or skill to host a cabinet of any size in my house at this time, I dare to dream and live vicariously through those that can and do.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Does anyone know anything about Bubble Bobble hardware? It seems there's a way to make the gameplay on a bootleg board work the same as it does on real board but i'm not 100% on the details.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Just want to say this thread owns and while I don't have the money time space or skill to host a cabinet of any size in my house at this time, I dare to dream and live vicariously through those that can and do.

Get a supergun.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Can anyone in Los Angeles recommend a good company that can move an arcade machine affordable / safely?

EDIT: some cool setups ITT BTW, I’m jelly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Doing a cursory search it seems that most of these are sold as boards or unassembled kits. There are a few people on eBay selling assembled Superguns but the pricing seems to vary wildly.

Is there a specific builder or model of prebuilt Supergun people recommend? Or if it's a kit option, which kit is the most comprehensive and easy to understand?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I Definitely caught the bug last year when my friend helped me fix up my 1 slot NeoGeo goldie cab. I can't find any pictures, sadly, I sold it to him because he has much better space for it.

I would make space for a AvP Arcade Cab, though..

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Doing a cursory search it seems that most of these are sold as boards or unassembled kits. There are a few people on eBay selling assembled Superguns but the pricing seems to vary wildly.

Is there a specific builder or model of prebuilt Supergun people recommend? Or if it's a kit option, which kit is the most comprehensive and easy to understand?

You can make your own "supergun" with like a neogeo model 1c. Install some AV jacks, do some moderate soldering. You don't even have to stick it in an enclosure.

That's if you really need the HARDWARE. You can always make a mame type thing with a single board computer.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

I usually see Jamma Nation X recommended for SuperGuns, the guy builds to order and they’re a little pricey though.

Building can be really cheap. The SorryGun that I built (posted about it on the previous page) would have been about $30 to build if I didn’t have any parts lying around (granted, it’s RGB only). You can spend a bit more and build something nice. Building one is just following diagrams and hooking point A to point B like 100 times.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Bonobos posted:

Can anyone in Los Angeles recommend a good company that can move an arcade machine affordable / safely?

EDIT: some cool setups ITT BTW, I’m jelly.

Most people use Michelle Bianchi to freight games if they're over long distances. If local best to just rent a truck with a lift gate.

http://www.arcade-classics.com/how_to_ship.html

The service is door-to-door, first floor no stairs only but they are pretty good.

DanAdamKOF posted:

I usually see Jamma Nation X recommended for SuperGuns, the guy builds to order and they’re a little pricey though.

Building can be really cheap. The SorryGun that I built (posted about it on the previous page) would have been about $30 to build if I didn’t have any parts lying around (granted, it’s RGB only). You can spend a bit more and build something nice. Building one is just following diagrams and hooking point A to point B like 100 times.

Welp; JNX is currently closed for good because PayPal closed their account
https://twitter.com/JammaNationX/status/1186463546634207232

If you're patient I would just get the HAS. It's a great supergun and RGB provides great support on it. Has all the options you need and isn't some massive poorly made turd.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

flyboi posted:

Most people use Michelle Bianchi to freight games if they're over long distances. If local best to just rent a truck with a lift gate.

The service is door-to-door, first floor no stairs only but they are pretty good.

Welp; JNX is currently closed for good because PayPal closed their account
https://twitter.com/JammaNationX/status/1186463546634207232

If you're patient I would just get the HAS. It's a great supergun and RGB provides great support on it. Has all the options you need and isn't some massive poorly made turd.

If doesn't seem like the preorder window is open anymore so I imagine folks will have to wait for the second batch.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

flyboi posted:

Thanks for this! Yeah its going to be from one location in la to another. Thanks for that link also, good to have in mind for the future.

If rent a penske truck with some blankets, along with a dolly i should be ok right?

There are no stairs, so a dolly and lift gate truck and 1-2 people can can do this right?

Standard cab, nothing fancy if that matters.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Bonobos posted:

Thanks for this! Yeah its going to be from one location in la to another. Thanks for that link also, good to have in mind for the future.

If rent a penske truck with some blankets, along with a dolly i should be ok right?

There are no stairs, so a dolly and lift gate truck and 1-2 people can can do this right?

Standard cab, nothing fancy if that matters.

My dude, I have had my cocktail in the back of my Prius. If it’s a standard cabinet, a truck bed should do the trick.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

My dude, I have had my cocktail in the back of my Prius. If it’s a standard cabinet, a truck bed should do the trick.

Yeah I have moved cabs in a pickup. Just make sure it is strapped down well and have some blankets down. Only worry about a moving truck if you are moving it long distance. On the highway in a pickup is frightening.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

If you’re moving it in an open cab, be sure to wrap that mess in that plastic wrap.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Got a package in the mail sooner than expected so I put off rotating the monitor on the Net City...

I got new speakers for the New Net City cab as previously I had installed an extended monitor remote board and found the speakers were mismatched. I also needed to give the cab a real deep cleaning since that had yet to be done.

The extended remote board installed, now i have geometry controls for the toshiba monitor

The old speakers and a picture from having done a quick clean inside the control panel. The IO protector had some liquid spilled on it and was very gross but I neglected to get a before image.

Anyways on to bigger and better things I say!

This time around we have to rip the cab all the way to the frame to get to the speakers which is a perfect time to wipe everything down!

Behold! Decades of dust and god knows what else and speakers! Time to get to work...

Speakers swapped and the back all cleaned up!

There was quite a bit of dirt caked on to the frame all over so everything got a scrub down. You can see what it looks like cleaned up on the left side.

All that's left is putting everything back together and then I can never do this ever again

All done, sounds much better... And then I found that the left channel was going out on my CPS3 and have to replace the volume potentiometer on it :saddowns:

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

There was a time (about 6 months ago) when I had this many cabs in the garage. Not in the pic include Joust and Centipede uprights, and my housemate's DDR and Pop'n Music machines.

Now, as I have conniptions about either moving back to Brooklyn, or going nuts and moving to Tokyo, I've significantly reduced, and have only two candies now. I have my best Astro, which was my first candy, and my Egret II.

Virtually every Astro City's translite colors fade away, so the pink and yellow tints are nearly invisible. The green ends up turning a teal color, too. For mine, I used some theatre gels to do a color restoration on the top, and I think it came out pretty well.

The Egret II recently got overhauled, with DanAdamKOF's help. I received an entire replacement shell for it from a friend who didn't need it, and we cleaned it out thoroughly and swapped in all the parts. The shell I had previously is now a project cabinet detailed earlier in the thread.

I did an LED light modification for the Egret II's translite, as the mount for the CCFL had sheared off in my cabinet ages ago. I mounted it properly and gave it its own little power supply. The cold temperature LEDs help counter the yellowing that happens over time to the translite plastic.

Since that picture, I've recapped the chassis on the Egret II since it was long overdue.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
It seems like candy cabs are only attainable on the coasts? Literally haven't ever seen one in middle of the us. Someone please drive some out here for me to buy, thanks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

falz posted:

It seems like candy cabs are only attainable on the coasts? Literally haven't ever seen one in middle of the us. Someone please drive some out here for me to buy, thanks.

Unfortunately ships can only go on water.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

falz posted:

As a casual observer I'm seeing less and less CRT candy cabs being imported, but in Ohio I know of Tokyo Attack and Snow Phoenix who sell imported cabs from Japan. You could try with them.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

falz posted:

South Dakota isn't on the coast :confused:

But there are importers you can go through that will line up shipping for you. Game Saru on a-p is who I got mine from but he no longer is dealing with candies as they are difficult to get in Japan nowadays. Oh and you will come across a guy in LA that goes by the name of KC. Unless you can pick them up in person avoid purchasing from him as there have been enough horror stories.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

:yeah:

Arcade collecting is utterly fascinating to me, despite me never actually wanting to (seriously) get into it myself. My parents were quite poor so arcade gaming was only something I got to do sparingly, but when I did get the chance to visit the arcade (or get treated to an evening at Dave & Buster's by a family friend) it was always awesome.

Now I'm in my 30s and theoretically have disposable income, but I've since moved to Germany. Beyond living in an apartment with no space for an arcade cabinet, it also seems like the arcade scene in Germany basically never existed because of local laws treating arcade machines as gambling, thus making arcades basically unknown here. It's also affected the used market, and hearing about all these amazing Craigslist scores that people get back in the US occasionally is a bit depressing because stuff like that would basically be impossible here :smith:

Meantime I'll content myself enough with MAME and a fight stick, I guess. Maybe someday when I get a bigger apartment or a house, I would love to put together a MAME cabinet or something just for the aesthetic factor, but beyond that... :smith:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
On the flip side you can get an Amiga that doesn't cost an arm and a leg :retrogames:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
https://twitter.com/leonkiriliuk/status/1189376519774314497

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Hatsune Mike posted:

There was a time (about 6 months ago) when I had this many cabs in the garage. Not in the pic include Joust and Centipede uprights, and my housemate's DDR and Pop'n Music machines.

Now, as I have conniptions about either moving back to Brooklyn, or going nuts and moving to Tokyo, I've significantly reduced, and have only two candies now. I have my best Astro, which was my first candy, and my Egret II.

Virtually every Astro City's translite colors fade away, so the pink and yellow tints are nearly invisible. The green ends up turning a teal color, too. For mine, I used some theatre gels to do a color restoration on the top, and I think it came out pretty well.

The Egret II recently got overhauled, with DanAdamKOF's help. I received an entire replacement shell for it from a friend who didn't need it, and we cleaned it out thoroughly and swapped in all the parts. The shell I had previously is now a project cabinet detailed earlier in the thread.

I did an LED light modification for the Egret II's translite, as the mount for the CCFL had sheared off in my cabinet ages ago. I mounted it properly and gave it its own little power supply. The cold temperature LEDs help counter the yellowing that happens over time to the translite plastic.

Since that picture, I've recapped the chassis on the Egret II since it was long overdue.

You should've brought your cabs with you to Brooklyn. Ifix arcade closed down and now there's nowhere to play third strike :saddowns:

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

bossy lady posted:

You should've brought your cabs with you to Brooklyn. Ifix arcade closed down and now there's nowhere to play third strike :saddowns:

It's (very sightly) rougher around the edges, but two of the Versus City cabinets ended up at The Next Level in the basement. When I was there I compulsively calibrated a few of the monitors.. Last time they both had Third Strike in them! Henry Cenn's poor tortured Blast City cabinets are linked head-to-head as well.

I haven't moved out of CA, but if I do move back to Brooklyn, at least one cab is coming with me.

Or I go to Tokyo.

Or I stay put and tolerate the Bay Area longer...

Hatsune Mike fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 31, 2019

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

With absolutely no affiliation it's worth noting that exA-Arcadia has opened preorders: https://exa.ac/en/shop/?v=7516fd43adaa

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

This site is confusing but everything looks expensive as hell. Tell me more.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Hatsune Mike posted:

With absolutely no affiliation it's worth noting that exA-Arcadia has opened preorders: https://exa.ac/en/shop/?v=7516fd43adaa

:psyduck:

I'm trying to understand who this product is for. Some of the games listed are $10 on Steam. Unless people are making exclusive arcade games specifically for this device, I don't understand why you wouldn't just use a PC and software/hardware, surely that's all you need even if you want an arcade to charge people money. Pretty sure people have got working coin doors on mame arcade builds working. Or is this the hefty cost of software licensing and you are paying this hefty price to legally make money on it at your location??

I saw some guy on Twitch claim they weren't interested in video games because nobody makes arcade pcb's anymore. I guess we are in his simulation and this is for that one guy.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 5, 2019

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The "Where we hail from" section on the About Us page really gives me the warm and fuzzies: https://exa.ac/en/about/?v=7516fd43adaa

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Perhaps Lehman Brothers was a poor choice.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

I'm trying to understand who this product is for. Some of the games listed are $10 on Steam. Unless people are making exclusive arcade games specifically for this device, I don't understand why you wouldn't just use a PC and software/hardware, surely that's all you need even if you want an arcade to charge people money. Pretty sure people have got working coin doors on mame arcade builds working. Or is this the hefty cost of software licensing and you are paying this hefty price to legally make money on it at your location??

All but one of the games listed is on Steam (sometimes under a different name), and the one outlier is on mobile.

Supposedly they all have exclusive content of some kind, so presumably it's that + public play licensing that's driving things up, but that doesn't mean we can't still laugh at it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

katkillad2 posted:

Licensing and legality are an issue, yes, which is why Steam has a cybercafe and VR arcade program that you can join (where they handle it for you).

I'm gathering this is meant primarily to bring actual, real-rear end video games back to places like Dave & Buster's and movie theaters. The initial cost of entry is low by those places' standards, it has modern games that appeal to modern audiences (including, most likely, eventual exclusives), and the nature of it means that if a game doesn't get much play, it's not a massive loss.

It's maybe not a genius idea, but I like the cut of their jib.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

Pretty much all I can say is that I am working on a game for this platform that is not available elsewhere, and that all these titles have arcade exclusive content. It's difficult to get huge first-party support without some initial traction so having 100% new IP out of the gate would be prohibitive. I am looking forward to 2020.

The product is for arcade operators, though - look at what buying kits from Konami, Taito, Sega, etc. cost, and then look at the revenue sharing these companies also demand after you've bought their kit.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Hatsune Mike posted:

Pretty much all I can say is that I am working on a game for this platform that is not available elsewhere, and that all these titles have arcade exclusive content. It's difficult to get huge first-party support without some initial traction so having 100% new IP out of the gate would be prohibitive. I am looking forward to 2020.

The product is for arcade operators, though - look at what buying kits from Konami, Taito, Sega, etc. cost, and then look at the revenue sharing these companies also demand after you've bought their kit.

Is it that port of that famicom game you were showing off? Also what kind of IO does the exa use anyways? I looked into it a while back and forgot all about the pc. It's looking like JVS which sure I guess? Seems like all the board makers have abandoned JVS by now.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
If I saw Blazing Chrome, one of the games they list that is a fantastic Contra-like game, at a bar and could play it on a cabinet I probably would. I guess I could understand something like this in a Dave and Busters, movie theater or a barcade. It definitely makes more sense if there are going to be exclusive arcade games and/or additions not on PC/consoles.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

I reached out for clarification, and confirmed that the list of companies in the "About" page is to illustrate prior experience of those who are involved (somewhat common for a startup to do). I pointed out that the wording could make it more clear, since it wasn't obvious that it isn't related to partnerships / etc.

flyboi posted:

Is it that port of that famicom game you were showing off? Also what kind of IO does the exa use anyways? I looked into it a while back and forgot all about the pc. It's looking like JVS which sure I guess? Seems like all the board makers have abandoned JVS by now.

Yeah, it's a little more of an arrangement than just a port, but it's quite different from the old demo that was shown at JAEPO. I hope I am able to show something publicly for it sooner than later, as there have been a lot of design decisions made since then.

Other board makers generally have a nasty mix of JVS plus their own weird semi-proprietary IOs. I think the newer Konami games use JVS for the coin IO, and their own thing for inputs and light drivers.

Hatsune Mike fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Nah, it’s this weird serial encapsulation thing.. well depending which game because that’s how Konami rolls but it seems BIO2 is the new standard now