Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

lmao did Sega just use Bitlocker for the drive encryption or is that :files: and you encrypted the drive anyway?
They did encrypt it, while there’s :filez: of course I set it off in an unrelated way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Finished the SG article finally and loved it. I love the academic writing style. It reminds me of Jeremy Parish whose videos I also love.

KC pcb progress report.

So, I've got my Minigun supergun built and working! I have video and I'm proud of that.

HOWEVER...
The video is nothing but a scrambled mess. I did not expect that, lol.

So I've begun the process of troubleshooting this thing. I plan to post on klov for help just to be sure I'm not missing anything obvious.
Here's what I have so far:
Clock is good
CPU is resetting as it should
Address bus looks fine
Data bus looks like crap
So something is crapping up my Data Bus and making the beautiful sqare wave look more like a sawtooth.
Looking at the schematic, the data bus goes every-freakin-where.
The list of chips I see and have confirmed the messed up waveform are:
DXBC-80 @ A11 - This is the custom chip, please please don't let it be this one that's bad.
LS245 @ 11CF
LS245 @ 9C
LS367's @ F4, F5, F6, F7
LS374 @7C
<it also goes through the ribbon connector down to the video board where it connects to>
LS245's @ 9J and 9K although I haven't confirmed with scope, I assume their square waves are messed up

I have checked most of them with the diode check on my multimeter and haven't found anything odd yet. I'll finish the rest of the above list tonight.
If that doesn't find anything, then I'm at the point where I need to cut legs off chips and/or take them out to see if I can deduce which chip is bad.

I've also been searching for any forum posts at klov related to KC pcb issues. Any other ideas for places to search are appreciated. Will keep posting as I work through it. thanks again everybody

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Is anyone looking for a HAS supergun setup? I have one with a PSU I'm looking to list for sale, but I thought I'd give the group here a shot first since people keep missing out on getting them. PM me if interested, I'm in DC and don't mind local pick up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

namlosh posted:

Finished the SG article finally and loved it. I love the academic writing style. It reminds me of Jeremy Parish whose videos I also love.

KC pcb progress report.

So, I've got my Minigun supergun built and working! I have video and I'm proud of that.

HOWEVER...
The video is nothing but a scrambled mess. I did not expect that, lol.

So I've begun the process of troubleshooting this thing. I plan to post on klov for help just to be sure I'm not missing anything obvious.
Here's what I have so far:
Clock is good
CPU is resetting as it should
Address bus looks fine
Data bus looks like crap
So something is crapping up my Data Bus and making the beautiful sqare wave look more like a sawtooth.
Looking at the schematic, the data bus goes every-freakin-where.
The list of chips I see and have confirmed the messed up waveform are:
DXBC-80 @ A11 - This is the custom chip, please please don't let it be this one that's bad.
LS245 @ 11CF
LS245 @ 9C
LS367's @ F4, F5, F6, F7
LS374 @7C
<it also goes through the ribbon connector down to the video board where it connects to>
LS245's @ 9J and 9K although I haven't confirmed with scope, I assume their square waves are messed up

I have checked most of them with the diode check on my multimeter and haven't found anything odd yet. I'll finish the rest of the above list tonight.
If that doesn't find anything, then I'm at the point where I need to cut legs off chips and/or take them out to see if I can deduce which chip is bad.

I've also been searching for any forum posts at klov related to KC pcb issues. Any other ideas for places to search are appreciated. Will keep posting as I work through it. thanks again everybody

Did you fix this?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I have definitely not fixed it. Making progress somewhat but am still in limbo. I’ve posted over at klov about it and have received some help there but it still fails to put out any good video yet.

I’m learning a ton and having fun though, so it’s all worth it.

Currently:
Black screen, video sync’d, shorting 93L422 RAM pins makes garbage show on the screen.
CPU seems to run for a little bit but then stops… sort of. Like at least less activity
I have new ram on the way from arcadechips… 4 different kinds of RAM on this board, lol
Resets working fine, that’s not the issue.
My current thinking is that maybe one of the z80s can’t read/write to some RAM correctly and giving up. Plan to debug the decoder logic and make sure continuity is good of course.

Any ideas, please let me know. I work on it some most nights when family allows. Im also trying to learn to use my :10bux: logic analyzer to debug so that it can come to the party! :)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
just to look at the mame source code but i already mentioned that.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

just to look at the mame source code but i already mentioned that.

I did and that helped a lot to get the ROMs sorted. Thanks!

I’ll dig in again but I kind of bounced off of it because it’s a pretty big code base and I’ve been having fun playing with hardware :)

Anyone have a good whitepaper or architectural doc for Mame that they would recommend? Comments in the code are way better than I would have thought but I could still use some help to understand what’s going on and why.

Most of all, I don’t want you to think I haven’t taken your advice. I definitely have and appreciate it.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Hey, great news, the best Super Gun is finally fully available!

https://rgbslab.com/

Of course I have a like new one a little cheaper if you're in the US, hit me up!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

XtraSmiley posted:

Hey, great news, the best Super Gun is finally fully available!

https://rgbslab.com/

Of course I have a like new one a little cheaper if you're in the US, hit me up!

This is awesome… good on him for getting a site up!

I took vacation and had to put my stuff away for a while due to other stuff going on, but I hope to pick my broken Karate Champ back up soon.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

Recently I siezed an opportunity and bought an Aero City from somebody across the country, then almost immediately had my shoulder broken in a car accident. It was a miracle that I was able to get it into my basement when it arrived, but I'm super excited to continue to tinker around with it.

It's crazy how much more you learn about this hobby when you actually have the physical cabinet in front of you, as opposed to just looking at pictures online. Currently I'm trying to get an atomiswave lightgun setup to work, but as of yet I haven't had too much luck.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

AuroMarshmallow posted:

Recently I siezed an opportunity and bought an Aero City from somebody across the country, then almost immediately had my shoulder broken in a car accident. It was a miracle that I was able to get it into my basement when it arrived, but I'm super excited to continue to tinker around with it.

It's crazy how much more you learn about this hobby when you actually have the physical cabinet in front of you, as opposed to just looking at pictures online. Currently I'm trying to get an atomiswave lightgun setup to work, but as of yet I haven't had too much luck.

Hey, I just bought one too! Not due to arrive for a few more months, but for the price ($700!), I'm willing to wait!

I never considered AW shooting games, but now you have my interest. What is the problem?

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

My wife got me a Sports Shooting USA set for my birthday that I had been eyeing on ebay which came with the game & mobo, plus two guns and the gun i/o board for what I think was a better deal than trying to source all of those components separately. At this point I've gotten as far as getting everything hooked up (presumably) correctly, the game seems to register the trigger from either gun, and the little laser sight on both guns turns on when they're connected to the system, but when I get to trying to calibrate them, neither gun seems to register a hit.

I have a theory that I may need to adjust my monitor settings because weirdly the atomiswave seems to output a very washed out picture through the JAMMA edge, whereas a JAMMA Pandora's Box I have looks absolutely fine on the Aero City. As previously mentioned I'm pretty new at dealing with CRT monitors so I have been taking it pretty slowly.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

All right, cats and kittens, after some serious father-son team-up woodworking action, I've finally finished my custom arcade cabinet! Big thanks to the thread for the useful information and the plans posted a while back- lurking through here gave me every bit of information I needed to put this bad mamma jamma together!

This runs on my laptop, using an old version of MAME since I already had what I needed for it. The front and top are are custom-made by me, using art from screengrabs and Clip Studio to put everything together just the way I like it. For the front art I wanted to give a general idea of what games I have, and the top art I wanted to have the vibe of a character select screen featuring characters from my favorite games.

Handles are a godsend on beasts as big as this one. If you're thinking of doing a custom cab, I highly recommend adding handles even if the plans don't mention 'em. We also installed some custom shelves inside to hold the arcade guts plus other assorted things, so the cab doubles as storage space! I didn't take any pics because the insides aren't all painted and pretty.

My games mostly lean towards beat 'em ups because I want to be able to get big groups together, though I do have a few fighting games (including some not listed on the front, like Darkstalkers and of course Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game) plus I got a dual-stick setup for good ol' Smash TV!

Again, big thanks to the thread for the good vibes and good info. I haven't done a whole lotta posting here but you've all been big helps.

If you're thinking of making your own custom cab, carpe arcadiem, my friend. The sooner you make it, the longer you and yours will get to enjoy it.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

All right, cats and kittens, after some serious father-son team-up woodworking action, I've finally finished my custom arcade cabinet! Big thanks to the thread for the useful information and the plans posted a while back- lurking through here gave me every bit of information I needed to put this bad mamma jamma together!

This runs on my laptop, using an old version of MAME since I already had what I needed for it. The front and top are are custom-made by me, using art from screengrabs and Clip Studio to put everything together just the way I like it. For the front art I wanted to give a general idea of what games I have, and the top art I wanted to have the vibe of a character select screen featuring characters from my favorite games.

Handles are a godsend on beasts as big as this one. If you're thinking of doing a custom cab, I highly recommend adding handles even if the plans don't mention 'em. We also installed some custom shelves inside to hold the arcade guts plus other assorted things, so the cab doubles as storage space! I didn't take any pics because the insides aren't all painted and pretty.

My games mostly lean towards beat 'em ups because I want to be able to get big groups together, though I do have a few fighting games (including some not listed on the front, like Darkstalkers and of course Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game) plus I got a dual-stick setup for good ol' Smash TV!

Again, big thanks to the thread for the good vibes and good info. I haven't done a whole lotta posting here but you've all been big helps.

If you're thinking of making your own custom cab, carpe arcadiem, my friend. The sooner you make it, the longer you and yours will get to enjoy it.

Good post + cool build, storage is a good call

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Come on now, you're not doing the hobby right if you actually play it and enjoy it. All your time is meant to be spent building it and setting up Launchbox perfectly, eternally tinkering with it but never under any circumstances playing a game (unless you're testing something)

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Very nice!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

OK, where the heck do you live because I just want to bring you a bigger monitor for free. That thing is TOO TINY MAN!

Also, I'll show you how to take the image off stretch mode!

Otherwise, awesome project, thanks for sharing!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
that kicks rear end.

in my wasted youth i had been fortunate enough to stand in the presence of a 6 player x-men cab in its full glory. it was the centerpiece of the space. beautiful monster, Friday nights got crazy.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I'm pretty new to all this and only just started doing some research, but I've always wanted an arcade cabinet MAME-box or even something like a whole PC running Taito-Type X2 games that I could just boot from Windows. More the form factor of the arcade cabinet + sticks/buttons than an actual authentic PCB with arcade games if anything.

The main thing is, I'd really like a coin door or some sort of way to feed actual credits into the cabinet instead of it just being essentially a big fancy case for a PC that houses the monitor+peripherals. How hard is it to wire up something like that? I've seen pictures of coin doors and that looks like a lot of electrical engineering that I'll need to learn. I have some experience tinkering with sticks and doing a hacky PS2 pcb conversion for a PS3 stick so I can handle some soldering if that's required. I saw that the initial posts of this thread had a coin door too, but they're permabanned so...

So the main question I'm wondering is something like: how feasible would it be to get a candy cab, stick a PC of some kind in there running windows, and then run arcade games off of that, but still with functional coin door? Would I be better off doing the woodwork myself to create a cab?

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

When you insert a coin it just rolls past a microswitch, there’s extra wiring sometimes for lights or dollar bill acceptors but you can ignore it. You can use MAME in a candy cab and use the JAMMA pin that the coin signal is on to read it like you would any input.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Are mame cabs so old that you don't know they exist? Jesus, I can feel my hair greying

Yes, you can wire a coin mech to a mame input, go to forum.arcadecontrols.com and immerse yourself in decades of experience

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Hyper Inferno posted:

I'm pretty new to all this and only just started doing some research, but I've always wanted an arcade cabinet MAME-box or even something like a whole PC running Taito-Type X2 games that I could just boot from Windows. More the form factor of the arcade cabinet + sticks/buttons than an actual authentic PCB with arcade games if anything.

The main thing is, I'd really like a coin door or some sort of way to feed actual credits into the cabinet instead of it just being essentially a big fancy case for a PC that houses the monitor+peripherals. How hard is it to wire up something like that? I've seen pictures of coin doors and that looks like a lot of electrical engineering that I'll need to learn. I have some experience tinkering with sticks and doing a hacky PS2 pcb conversion for a PS3 stick so I can handle some soldering if that's required. I saw that the initial posts of this thread had a coin door too, but they're permabanned so...

So the main question I'm wondering is something like: how feasible would it be to get a candy cab, stick a PC of some kind in there running windows, and then run arcade games off of that, but still with functional coin door? Would I be better off doing the woodwork myself to create a cab?

As always, I vote to buy a real arcade machine, but as an option, here you go buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuRbucYGa8E&t=1s

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I've seen a couple mame cabs at some bars I've gone to, but they were wired up to just be free-play and didn't have working coin doors. I've only started planning this project out, so I appreciate the tips!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hyper Inferno posted:

I've seen a couple mame cabs at some bars I've gone to, but they were wired up to just be free-play and didn't have working coin doors. I've only started planning this project out, so I appreciate the tips!

I bought my machine from Gameroomsolutions and adding a coin door with USB was an option.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
https://atari.com/collections/reproduction-pcbs

Atari is selling pcbs of classic games, no actual components included.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

https://atari.com/collections/reproduction-pcbs

Atari is selling pcbs of classic games, no actual components included.

For JUST the PCB, that seems like a lot, even if it's intended as a collector's item. Has anyone actually bought one and tried to recreate a working board with it? My big concern is if it's actually got the proper traces, or if it's just painted/silkscreened/whatever to look like it has the traces.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Randalor posted:

For JUST the PCB, that seems like a lot, even if it's intended as a collector's item. Has anyone actually bought one and tried to recreate a working board with it? My big concern is if it's actually got the proper traces, or if it's just painted/silkscreened/whatever to look like it has the traces.

At 11.5 x 20.75 inches, these boards are stunning wall pieces. These boards use the original bill of materials, follow the original schematics, and can be used to replace damaged original boards by using the original parts from these boards.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Odd choice of games but this is the perfect replacement if your board has been rotted out by leaky capacitors

I got digital eclipse’s Atari 50 but that’s as far as my nostalgia goes.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 28, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

XtraSmiley posted:

At 11.5 x 20.75 inches, these boards are stunning wall pieces. These boards use the original bill of materials, follow the original schematics, and can be used to replace damaged original boards by using the original parts from these boards.

I'm glad to her that they are proper PCBs. Honestly, if they sold them as a kit with the parts, I could see picking one up to build before hanging on a wall.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Coffee Jones posted:

Odd choice of games but this is the perfect replacement if your board has been rotted out by leaky capacitors

I got digital eclipse’s Atari 50 but that’s as far as my nostalgia goes.

Yeah, except that none of these games suffers from leaky capacitors... it's an odd choice for a rebuild. I think this might be more for people as "art" or people who want the fun of building one.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I feel like for some reason it’ll be unpopular because I don’t see it mentioned but I have an Arcade Legends Ultimate and when you add a bunch of roms it’s pretty good. It’s also relatively cheap and very shallow so it doesn’t take up a lot of space. There is a ton of room inside the bottom if anyone wants to upgrade with a mister or faster computer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Internet Old One posted:

I feel like for some reason it’ll be unpopular because I don’t see it mentioned but I have an Arcade Legends Ultimate and when you add a bunch of roms it’s pretty good. It’s also relatively cheap and very shallow so it doesn’t take up a lot of space. There is a ton of room inside the bottom if anyone wants to upgrade with a mister or faster computer.

Atgames and Arcade1up are gateway drugs. You mod it to add games, then you decide you want better buttons, then you start wanting it to be bigger and before you know it you've ordered a full 4 player cabinet

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Medullah posted:

Atgames and Arcade1up are gateway drugs. You mod it to add games, then you decide you want better buttons, then you start wanting it to be bigger and before you know it you've ordered a full 4 player cabinet

Meanwhile I'm sitting over here debating buying a Chinese Vewlix clone to throw a PC/RPi into. I figure if I'm going to get an arcade machine that uses an LCD Panel, I might as well get one designed for it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
You mean chewlix

Xiphas
Nov 5, 2004

Medullah posted:

This is me. Started with those and as they got more expensive, I decided to ditch 'em on Facebook Marketplace and get vintage full sizes. The price difference nowadays is negligible. I'm surprised they are still around. You think they would have burned through their customer bases now, which I assume is basically people who don't want to deal with the maintenance of old arcade monitors?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Medullah posted:

Don't forget the glory buttons. That's the most important part of going big.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Internet Old One posted:

As a guy who owns 30+ arcade machines, I actually like the ALU, as long as it's the CRT one. Get what you like and will enjoy, but the reality is, it's just more fun to have a "real" machine that spent some time in an arcade at one point. It's like a real Ferrari vs a kit car. Both are fun and have an audience, but if the price was close, you'd probably just get the Ferrari (until you found out about the maintenance, which is probably less hassle on a Ferrari than an arcade machine...).

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Arcade 1up announced their Time Crisis unit. You get Point Blank, Steel Gunner 1+2, and the OG Time Crisis. The pedal looks much improved and the guns have the mechanical slides.

They want $750 for it though so I'm not sure if there's enough there to warrant that kind of cash TBQH. Was hoping they'd put a few extra Time Crisis games on there, with maybe the ability to link two units together for two player.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You can probably buy an actual TC2 cab for that much, they're so common that it was basically the ms pac man of the late 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Saw this cabinet posted for sale on klov... I kind of refuse to believe it's real.

The button and stick layout :psyduck: