Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

katkillad2 posted:

Saw this cabinet posted for sale on klov... I kind of refuse to believe it's real.

The button and stick layout :psyduck:

It's beautiful. What a cute little sad mess of a cabinet. Made by the creator of the N64 controller, no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

This is one of those situations where the more you look at it, the more upsetting it gets!

I probably wouldn't be so viscerally disappointed in LCD monitor replacements in CRT cabinets if the monitor ever actually fit or didn't look completely out of place.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

AuroMarshmallow posted:

This is one of those situations where the more you look at it, the more upsetting it gets!

I probably wouldn't be so viscerally disappointed in LCD monitor replacements in CRT cabinets if the monitor ever actually fit or didn't look completely out of place.

It's not hard to do at all. Just put it flush to the plexiglass with a vesa mount, then mark off the edges and spray paint outside the lines black to make your bezel. Of course, in this guys case that would involve having plexiglass, which would mess with the cable running out of the bezel.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

AuroMarshmallow posted:

Looks like they gutted a Gauntlet cab to do that, too :(

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

legooolas posted:

Looks like they gutted a Gauntlet cab to do that, too :(

Good.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I just keep thinking about it. Like how do you think that stick/button layout is ok. The only 3 logical explanations I can come up with are... maybe they are disabled in some way and that is what is comfortable for them? Maybe they had someone who made the control panel who has never seen an arcade game in their life... and felt bad and didn't want to tell them it's completely wrong and used it anyways? Maybe they put that massive trackball in first and they just wanted a Golden Tee machine and everything else was an afterthought?

:psyduck:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Or they started with a golden tee machine

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

That's definitely Gauntlet or Gauntlet 2 cab. I guess maybe it's not impossible that is a Golden Tee control panel they butchered and somehow got it to fit very nicely, but that doesn't fit with the rest of what's going on here.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
If you're looking for awful arcade cabinets I recommend just searching the Facebook marketplace for "Custom arcade" or mame. You will find many abominations and half-finished cabinets for $450-850. It's always good for a laugh. The rare Pokemon to catch is where someone has actually done a good job on one. The following three are not in that category. It's a guilty pleasure of mine to search for these when I'm bored.

The cab has an identity crisis. There are Mario, Pacman, Mortal Kombat, and Zelda images all over this. As it says with a gangster lean GAME OVER.

Welcome family & friends to hunch over an LCD with two buttons and a cheap arcade stick.

I sure hope your name is Andrew.

mysteryberto fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 31, 2023

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

mysteryberto posted:

The cab has an identity crisis. There are Mario, Pacman, Mortal Kombat, and Zelda images all over this. As it says with a gangster lean GAME OVER.

Holy poo poo that upside down button layout, do the people who make these things not have loving hands?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like the completely unnecessary putty to seal the edges. It looks like it's welded honestly.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
arcade games for space aliens.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Null of Undefined posted:

Holy poo poo that upside down button layout, do the people who make these things not have loving hands?

Oh and it’s $850.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/874539501030342/?mibextid=6ojiHh

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Meanwhile, I can't even get $75 for this:

The pc needs a battery, I didn't even know pc's used a battery, and isn't working. And don't let it fool you, it also sucks. The control panel is too small and your palms rest on the edge of the plexi and it's uncomfortable. Only listed it on klov and local pickup only. I'm sure it would probably sell if I had facebook, but imagine using facebook :smug:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

katkillad2 posted:

Meanwhile, I can't even get $75 for this:

The pc needs a battery, I didn't even know pc's used a battery, and isn't working. And don't let it fool you, it also sucks. The control panel is too small and your palms rest on the edge of the plexi and it's uncomfortable. Only listed it on klov and local pickup only. I'm sure it would probably sell if I had facebook, but imagine using facebook :smug:

Create a Facebook account just for that. People buy arcade stuff for stupid amounts. Is it a full cabinet or just a bar top?

As far as battery goes, the only battery a PC should need is a CMOS battery which is like $3 and easy to replace

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Medullah posted:

Is it a full cabinet or just a bar top?

It's a bartop. I just kind of want it gone and I figured it would sell quick at that price. Yea maybe I should look into the battery thing. The monitor in it sucks. The led buttons, some of the lights are going in and out. The person who made it... decided to put the power button on the back panel so any time you need to open it up it's a giant hassle and sometimes the wires pop off when closing it back up.

I figured it would be an easy flip for someone who wanted to tinker/fix it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

It's a bartop. I just kind of want it gone and I figured it would sell quick at that price. Yea maybe I should look into the battery thing. The monitor in it sucks. The led buttons, some of the lights are going in and out. The person who made it... decided to put the power button on the back panel so any time you need to open it up it's a giant hassle and sometimes the wires pop off when closing it back up.

I figured it would be an easy flip for someone who wanted to tinker/fix it.

Hell, list it local on SA-Mart. I'd bet you could get $100 just for the shell, honestly.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

That thing is an eyesore but I'm still jealous of other relative quality things seem to be available on west coast facebook marketplace. Over here on the east coast it feels like much slimmer pickings.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Medullah posted:

As far as battery goes, the only battery a PC should need is a CMOS battery which is like $3 and easy to replace

Yea you were right, just a CR2032 I had to pop off the motherboard and I had some new ones lying around when I was trying to learn how to solder batteries into old games.

So the PC is working again but it's slow and terrible, also since it wasn't working I took that drive and started using it on my Wii so it's not setup. Anyone who picks it up will most likely want to replace the pc with something else anyways.

I'm also trying to sell my PC10 Countertop. If it weren't for the tax laws I probably would list it on Ebay or something. All I'm getting on klov is tire kickers and low ballers.

Why yes, that's one of the nicest GnG's you'll ever see in the background, I'll be buried in it :smug:

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 1, 2023

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

katkillad2 posted:

Yea you were right, just a CR2032 I had to pop off the motherboard and I had some new ones lying around when I was trying to learn how to solder batteries into old games.

So the PC is working again but it's slow and terrible, also since it wasn't working I took that drive and started using it on my Wii so it's not setup. Anyone who picks it up will most likely want to replace the pc with something else anyways.

I'm also trying to sell my PC10 Countertop. If it weren't for the tax laws I probably would list it on Ebay or something. All I'm getting on klov is tire kickers and low ballers.

Why yes, that's one of the nicest GnG's you'll ever see in the background, I'll be buried in it :smug:

Send pics of GnG cabinet plz.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Help me, Insert Coin to Start, you're my only hope.

I need advice. I bought my second arcade cab a few months ago. It's a NeoGeo MVS and came with a few games It's on the left in this picture:

I'm very inexperienced with this hobby and intend to build my understanding but I don't really know where to start in diagnosing this. I'm very much a software-guy and my tinkering with hardware and cables is pretty limited, and my understanding is that some of this is dangerous so I need to be careful.
As you can see from the picture, the colour of the screen is washed out blue/yellow and it looks like the red channel is not coming through at all. This is an intermittent problem, sometimes it works fine after changing the cart over, sometimes it works fine for just 5 minutes then goes to this washed out colour. I'm pretty sure it's just a loose wire somewhere, but looking at the insides (see picture below) I have absolutely no idea where to look.
Is this something I can fix myself with some online guidance? Is it something I need to get a local expert to come and show me?

Also, I have a second question, assuming I can fix this little issue.

I'd like to set this second cabinet up with some extra hardware internally that can emulate roms and turn it into a multiple game system. The primary reason for this is because I've got quite a few NeoGeo carts and I'd like my kids to be able to swap between the games without needing to physically pull out and replace the cart, which involves getting into the main part of the cab. A secondary objective (if possible) is to have some persistant high-score tables so that when the cab is powered off, the high score list isn't lost. I've been led to believe that a MiSTer can do this, is that correct? Where should I start reading about which parts of a MiSTer system I need? I'm feeling a bit out of my depth with this, but getting this up and running properly is by New Year's Resolution project.

Xiphas
Nov 5, 2004
I'm not a monitor expert, but you usually can't go wrong with a recap when you acquire a new monitor. In my experience, a recap + new flyback will fix most problems.

I have a Mistercade in two cabinets, it's pretty nice. Just be prepared to have to fiddle with sync a little when you switch games as each arcade core has a slightly different sync sweet spot. Maybe wait for the Mars FPGA which is coming down the pipe soonish? It'll play all the mister cores and some new ones they are developing with the more powerful fpga in mind. Assuming it's not vaporware, of course.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

You should pull the crt chassis and look for suspect joints. Reflow them and see if the issue goes away or remains.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Ok, cool. Recap, flyback and reflow are all terms I will google to work out how to do it. Any particular website or YouTube channel that’s a good resource for these beginner terms/techniques?

Edit: whelp, it’s been decades since I did any soldering. Time to relearn some old tricks.

Forum Joe fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 27, 2023

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

It should be all through hole single sided stuff on the chassis so that will be easy. Please do look up how to djscharge a CRT though. Very high voltages need to be discharged before the anode cap can be removed.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
https://youtu.be/oe0DvzKMNe4?feature=shared

Always liked Voultar’s diagnosing and restoration videos from five years ago. But, when it gets to identifying and restoring corroded traces on a PCB it looks like a real difficulty cliff.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I have nothing to contribute to the repair chat, I just want to state how much I loving love those late 70s/early 80s cabaret cabinets. A local barcade has WIZARD OF WOR in one and it's like the essence of "video games" concentrated to a fine point.

Also, Wizard of Wor is the fakest real game that actually exists, it's basically VIDEO GAME: THE VIDEO GAME (BASED ON THE HIT VIDEO GAME) but it looks completely made up and I love it

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
So my ALU cabinet has broken for like the too manyth time.

I put R-Cade on it so atgames can’t gently caress me with another firmware update, downloaded a rom pack and told it to get bezels and artwork and it’s all wrong and there are games in the rompack not showing up right in the menus probably being misidentified as something else.

I tried google and there are a lot of options out there. Does anyone know of a decent rompack with art and bezels for r-cade. I don’t need 3000 roms just like maybe the top 200 roms and once it’s good this bitch will be blocked from egress to the internet.

Part of why I bought this thing was it was good enough and being a commercial product I thought I could treat it like an appliance instead of a science project but it’s certainly not panning out that way.

Someone please save me from this retro gaming hell.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

What is an ALU?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

XtraSmiley posted:

What is an ALU?

Arcade Legends Ultimate. They advertise than you can add your own “legally accquired roms” and then release firmware updates that continually cause problems. No big surprise they offer various way to play more games by paying money too.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

My Astro City's MS8 died but I'm gonna fix it

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Internet Old One posted:

Arcade Legends Ultimate. They advertise than you can add your own “legally accquired roms” and then release firmware updates that continually cause problems. No big surprise they offer various way to play more games by paying money too.

Google says this is from AtGames, isn't that the terrible company with terrible products, such as that "older" genesis mini from 6 or so years ago?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Internet Old One posted:

So it's like an expensive Arcade 1-Up system. Sorry, I don't know anything about those types of systems, but maybe its time to dump it off on FB MP and buy a real arcade cabinet to fix up, we can help!

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

falz posted:

Google says this is from AtGames, isn't that the terrible company with terrible products, such as that "older" genesis mini from 6 or so years ago?

I don't have an ALU but I followed the 3/4 scale arcade cabinet repro scene for a bit and the general consensus was that the ALU was leaps and bounds better than the products Atgames put out earlier in their existence.

Overall though, none of the 3/4 scale cabinets will ever compare to the real thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

For me Arcade1up was just a gateway drug into me getting a full sized 4 player cabinet

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Most of the arcade1up's are $500-$650 now... they really don't make sense to me at that price. When you could get them on sale for $100-$200 they seemed like a cool novelty.

I was kind of sad I missed out on this, 1/6th scale. They also did Ghouls' N Ghosts

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 26, 2024

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Dang. You weren't kidding. You could practically build your own cabinet for that

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

A few years ago that was junk candy cab pricing.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Qanba released a desk/stick combo and it's a little too modern looking for an old arcade feel but it looks sleek enough for modern games. Anyone know of someone who got it or a reputable review source?

https://qanba.vip/products/qanba-2009-arcade?VariantsId=10475

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
That thing would be sick as gently caress to put my crt on, but waaaaay too expensive, especially for qanba. It does give some ideas for future wood working projects tho