Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

I played a bit of Mashinky and thought, "okay, it's kinda like OpenTTD except with a much simpler economy, lovely not-path signals, and station upgrades. Then, while I was starting to get bored of laying a dozen signals every time I create a simple crossover, I ran out of green tokens due to neglecting my passenger tokens. That made me think, okay, maybe there's something to the token thing in terms of forcing you to balance your economy.

Overall though, it kinda seems like an inferior version of OpenTTD with a prettier interface. Maybe it will get materially more interesting as more industries are added. I like the concept of forcing different types of routes in order to advance, but I've yet to see it really pay off.

I think mashinky has a simple vaneer to it that hides the depth of gameplay. It's more about route optimization and evolving through the ages (to unlock new industries), that's more the core gameplay. The fun parts for me is figuring out how to only use 1 train Depot and good track management to make an optimal route for both my passengers and manufacturing stations. Maybe this station needs people, mail, and consumer goods: okay -how do I get all those things from their various stations to the requested location without causing backups on the track or losing lots of operating expenses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Mashinsky drives me crazy and makes me want a good guide to how not to gently caress up signals. I have enormous trouble getting multiple trains on one track despite having sidings and what have you.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I think mashinky just updated their signalaling recently to show blocks as you build signals.

Regular signals create a block from signal to signal. If there is any part of a train within that block, the signal shows red, saying " you can't enter. Wait your turn".
This is true for both straight paths and crossings.

Chain signals look at the signal at the end of the chain. So 1 chain + I signal = the chain looking at the signal and reporting that status.

Chains also work on splits. So if you have a straight path and a chain signal, then a split and two regular signals on each branch, the chain will report back if there is a free path on either of the regular signals.
It's like, " left is closed, but right is open, imma show you a green"

Idk if this helps, but there are some good YouTubes available to explain.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

LordAdakos posted:

I think mashinky has a simple vaneer to it that hides the depth of gameplay. It's more about route optimization and evolving through the ages (to unlock new industries), that's more the core gameplay. The fun parts for me is figuring out how to only use 1 train Depot and good track management to make an optimal route for both my passengers and manufacturing stations. Maybe this station needs people, mail, and consumer goods: okay -how do I get all those things from their various stations to the requested location without causing backups on the track or losing lots of operating expenses?

What makes route optimization in Mashinky different than OpenTTD? Other than the lack of PBS, it seems basically the same.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
When you break it down, almost all these train-logistics games boil down to the same thing. Getting cargo from A to B.

I've been building out 1 huge network in Mashinky, whereas in OpenTTD it would be a series of shorter routes. I guess I could do the same in TTD but I never really had the desire to try.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Happy New Year everyone! I want to thank everyone who has come to the thread and those who have posted. I was concerned when I started this that it would just die off and shuffle off to the archives but it seems there's enough interest to keep it going. I apologize for not thinking of "management games" when starting this and the Base Building thread. Can mods change subjects? Maybe I could get them combined.

Otherwise be sure to let me know if you want something added to the OP, happy to consider it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Want to share the best browser city builder I have ever played: http://playnileonline.com/

You can play it without spending any money and while I am not playing it right now, I have beaten it twice (it has a defined end goal, but if I remember right, you don't have to finish and can keep playing ).

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

LLSix posted:

Want to share the best browser city builder I have ever played: http://playnileonline.com/

You can play it without spending any money and while I am not playing it right now, I have beaten it twice (it has a defined end goal, but if I remember right, you don't have to finish and can keep playing ).

Yeah, right. We can spot a shill for Big Anubis right away, go back to Mesopotamia where you belong.

But really, I think I'm going to play this at work today.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LLSix posted:

Oh man, I remember playing this like 15 years ago. I'm amazed that it's still going. I think you hit a wall at a certain point, but it's still a nice distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
For all your city/building/fun things please go to this thread instead:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901789

Thank you kindly!