Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I can't wait to see how the vassal map translates to EUIV. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

One age had reached its end. Jerusalem had spent the last three hundred years bathing in blood and every step of the way House Mersir had provided the tools to do it. What had begun as a simple bejeweled dagger merchant striking back at the King of Jerusalem for his brother's murder by founding his own company had evolved into a multi-national corporate state.

Mersir had become the preeminent weapons distributor in Jerusalem, and as the empire grew the family thrived. They expanded into swords, lances, shields, armor, even ships of war and siege equipment. But in a new era of war, when Jerusalem was fighting enemies across the world and encountering foes like they did in Cathay who wielded gunpowder to devastating effect, Mersir would have to evolve. After returning from the front Mersir Tactical Solutioneers immediately began developing their own gunpowder weapons.

In the middle of the 15th century Mersir executives needed a way to show off the innovations it was making in weapons technology. But could they also use their new weapons to make other gains for the company?

They called it Vertical Integration.

Flag of The West Yurpan Trading Company

The West Yurpan Trading Company would consolidate Mersir holdings in Greece and Italy into one corporate state. The company men would seize the old country by force and in the process show every noble in Jerusalem the power of Mersir brand firearms. Before the 15th century was over everyone in the enlightened world would be ordering Mersir cannons.

The future was bright, and with all the feuding over Imperial inheritance and religious knick-knacks, who would mind a minor arms manufacturer claiming a new empire for itself? After all...

It's not murder if it's Mersir

Final CK2 Holdings of the Mersir Family

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
h

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So are we actually going to EU4? I was a bit unclear on that point, and also hastily left the discord before reading the final update batch when I saw "it's been a fun ride!" or something.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The official answer, such as there was one, was basically "maybe, but not for a long time"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

The official answer, such as there was one, was basically "maybe, but not for a long time"

If a sequel is done, I wouldn't be opposed to something more orthodox or even focusing on a different part of the world (though the Hunt for the Crown should still play a part)

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Hashim posted:

And sitting on the roads into Egypt is House Dreaux, Princes of the Sinai, an isolated family that seldom leave their desert strongholds

:mood:

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I'm delighted to have held on to Oultrejourdain all game despite accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Out of curiosity were the player-held titles manipulated at all to keep our dynasties in charge? I've had so many female rulers I would expect to been displaced otherwise.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Much Ado about (Egge)Thermidors

Thermidor Family River Chart

It was the turning of the age, and there with it were the Thermidors. The most widespread family in the empire, with tens of hundreds of cadet branchs, and outposts set up in every port wether of importance or not, the Thermidors were a household name. If you ate food, it was Thermidor food, If you slept on a trip, is was a Thermidor bed, etc. etc. Once nothing more than three brothers following along on a crusade, they were now one of the greatest trade families in all of history, and they weren't stopping any time soon.

The retaking of the Nile and the King's River renewed the trading between yurp and the East like never before. The Mersir, the only other Trading Faction that could rival the Thermidors proposed a trade organization to control trade in the many rivers and seas of Yurp, and the Thermidors were keen to join in. The Oresund and Cypriot Thermidors joined the West Yurpan Trading Company, bringing their knowledge of the varangian routes and north sea passes for great effect. They also noted how nice the color choice was on the flag.

Meanwhile, the organizing of Sampo, a trade and exploratory force set up years before was being set up as the premier trade organization of the East. Baghdad, Khozistan, and the Red Sea Thermidors would set out on boats to explore all of the Indian ocean and further beyond, the seek where Joakim had sailed off to, to find the Shabibid holdout in China, and to find the Fabled Vinland talked about by those who had spoke of it in the Oresund.

The Nile would stand, as it ever was, as the meeting ground between the two, were all the goods of the world would be found. Anything you could imagine could be found in the Gold Coast, and the Thermidors would be there, peddling wares, building ships, making deal, building great works, inventing new wonders, and making sure the Empire stayed wealthy. The Thermidors were a force of the world, and all people would recognize those black clams.

The Thermidors in power at the turning of the age

Lord-Mayor Zhenglun Egge-Thermidor of the Oresund

Doge Vela Thermidor of Cyprus

Prince-Protector Ulf "the Evil" Egge-Thermidor of Baghdad and the East

Princess Frederikke Egge-Thermidor of Khozistan

Patrician Bernart Thermidor of the Red Sea

Doge Fernando Thermidor of the Nile

A Thermidor in Every Port! Thermidor Serves All!

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 26, 2021

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Captain Mediocre posted:

I'm delighted to have held on to Oultrejourdain all game despite accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Out of curiosity were the player-held titles manipulated at all to keep our dynasties in charge? I've had so many female rulers I would expect to been displaced otherwise.

Player dynasties were given a small boost to fertility, and a heavy weighting so that female rulers would only marry matrineally

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The Thermidors in power at the turning of the age

Amazing portraits as always

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Rody One Half posted:

So are we actually going to EU4? I was a bit unclear on that point, and also hastily left the discord before reading the final update batch when I saw "it's been a fun ride!" or something.

Because I like to overprepare, I've actually had most of the work for the EU4 mod done for months -

I'd really like to actually play it at some point though, so I'm definitely planning to eventually LP EU4, but like Fles said it'll be a little while since I'm busy for the next few months

hashashash fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 28, 2021

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Neat.

I guess HRE is the obvious choice but at the same time Jerusalem has always operated much more as a unified domain than the empire ever really did so it's a bit of a difficult fit.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I mean, most of the princes were reasonably loyal to the emperor...and spent shitloads of time plotting against each other at basically every opportunity

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I mean, most of the princes were reasonably loyal to the emperor...and spent shitloads of time plotting against each other at basically every opportunity

Pretty much everyone wanted to be in the empire but didn't care too much one way or the other if their neighbors weren't. Especially if that meant potentially expanding their own holdings.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Could be interesting to make the Imperial Reforms go the opposite direction then. Start off centralized, but passing reforms slowly reduces the power of the crown until finally everyone goes independent.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That's not a reform system, that's consequences of a Disaster.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Well, loyal to the EMPIRE, usually, the particular emperor rather less reliably. Intercine warfare, VERY much the order of the day.

Well our various characters probably participated in independence revolts plenty too, though that doesn't reflect on us as players so much.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I just noticed that the King's River has been modded in. Noice!

GracePanther
Jun 23, 2023
Is there a separate thread for the EU4 portion of this, or has it not happened yet? Happy to wait, but was wondering if it were somewhere else /mentioned on the discord.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

GracePanther posted:

Is there a separate thread for the EU4 portion of this, or has it not happened yet? Happy to wait, but was wondering if it were somewhere else /mentioned on the discord.

I just want to note that in the interim when this LP ended up to the quoted post, I had a kid and they just turned two.

I think it's fair to say the EU part ain't happening anymore

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

I finished (and still have) the EU4 mod, only problem is that interest really dwindled towards the end of the CK2 portion, to the point where the legislative mechanics were sorta abandoned just to make sure the game was completed

it's quite a lot of effort to keep chugging at an LP, especially a legislative one, so it really didn't make sense to dive straight into the EU4 portion

I could just complete the mega-campaign in the traditional way, i.e. no legislation nonsense, but not sure if that's what people wanted

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I basically never care about the legislative component of an LP. If it's more than just a "vote for a few options" at the end of an update - especially if people start crafting legislation and poo poo - I just check out of that part and wait for the OP updates.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I basically never care about the legislative component of an LP. If it's more than just a "vote for a few options" at the end of an update - especially if people start crafting legislation and poo poo - I just check out of that part and wait for the OP updates.

Same. I would be very happy if you could finish the LP in the traditional way, but if you don't feel the motivation to do so in such a way, that's perfectly reasonable. The most important thing is that you are having fun doing it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The flip side of this is that I rarely have a ton to say about an LP where I'm just enjoying the OP updates. There's no, like, post reacts I can use to passively indicate liking an update and it feels goofy to reply "Cool update!" after each one, so I can see why an LPer might find the lack of legislative-style level of activity dispiriting, maybe it feels a bit like putting every update into a silent void.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I really enjoyed the LP and especially my weird little arms dealer medieval corpo state, I think we just ran out of things to do in Crusader Kings at some point.

I personally would feel rejuvenated interest with a move to EU4 but I also think this was a good ending point.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'm here for the LP, not the legislating. I'd be happy if you found the mojo to complete this LP.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'll be honest, I found the legislative stuff actively a turn off and avoided interacting with / reading it as much as possible, but you should do whatever makes you enjoy the process.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

All my enthusiasm for legislative LPs was killed by Crete

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I'd love to see this continue in really any form at all.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I'd be 100% down for that. EUIV is less conducive to the legislative format anyways.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

in that case I'd be happy to continue the LP -- will probably need a new thread though, since the format will be completely different

gonna need a snazzy title too

hashashash fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 23, 2023

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

hashashash posted:

in that case I'd be happy to continue the LP -- will probably need a new thread though, since the format will be completely different

gonna need a snazzy title too

All of our seventh grandfather's were really loving weird - Let's Play EU4!

Why does my coat of arms have a parrot wearing an eyepatch? - Let's Play EU4!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

HiHo ChiRho posted:

All of our seventh grandfather's were really loving weird - Let's Play EU4!

Why does my coat of arms have a parrot wearing an eyepatch? - Let's Play EU4!

that reminds me i completely reworked the reformation/religious wars into the Fowl Wars, pitting the League of the Goose against the League of the Parrot

i think someone in the thread came up with the idea actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GracePanther
Jun 23, 2023
This would be incredible to see this continue in any way at all. I absolutely loved it. Even if the legislation is removed or toned down I would still be interested.