Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Maybe someday people will think back on fixing PS2 disc read errors by adjusting the laser pot with the same fondness as they do for blowing on NES carts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think we're not used to the idea of the ps2 being retro yet because of how similar the tech is to today. The gap between nes and ps2 is a huge leap, but the gap between ps2 and ps4 isn't as big of a leap despite a longer passage of time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Roth posted:

To me the cutoff for retro is two console generations ago.

Same here, and even still it has been pretty shocking to see PS3 emulation go from a hushed pipe dream to "running some games at 4k60 already" in recent years

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Same here, and even still it has been pretty shocking to see PS3 emulation go from a hushed pipe dream to "running some games at 4k60 already" in recent years

I would try to emulate Demon's Souls if I wasn't so sure there's gonna be a remaster on PS5

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

PS2 is tied with the 3ds for my favorite game library of all time. I started a Digital Devil Saga replay over the summer but dropped it a few hours into the second game. I should pick it up again

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think we're not used to the idea of the ps2 being retro yet because of how similar the tech is to today. The gap between nes and ps2 is a huge leap, but the gap between ps2 and ps4 isn't as big of a leap despite a longer passage of time.

Yeah Katamari isn't retro at all really, it's an old game but if you told me it was released yesterday as an indie game on Switch or something that'd be plausible, same with a lot of other PS2 games.

Playstation feels like the direct predecessor to what we have now in a way that the Gamecube or even the Xbox don't really, it's an all purpose 3D console with no really strong identity of its own but a bigass library, maybe that's why it's hard to think of it as a very old console

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I would try to emulate Demon's Souls if I wasn't so sure there's gonna be a remaster on PS5

We all know it's gonna be a Knack remake

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Well, the PS2 also feels less retro because it had a very long life. Persona 4 just released in 2008, 11 years ago now. That was 8 years after the PS2 had already been released. The PS4 has just been out just 6 years now. In fact the PS2 had such staying power it made me a late adapter to getting a 360 and PS3.

The PS2 is very special to me as well and when I got it was the best childhood Christmas I ever had. I remember it was Christmas 2001 and that year I got a PS2, Final Fantasy X and Grand Theft Auto 3. I was blown away by those games and I don't think I have been that blown away since.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ToxicToast posted:

I remember it was Christmas 2001 and that year I got a PS2, Final Fantasy X and Grand Theft Auto 3. I was blown away by those games and I don't think I have been that blown away since.
2001 was such an amazing year for games, even if you only consider stuff that came out on the PS2.

In the summer, you had Gran Turismo 3 which was not only a great game (if a bit stripped down content-wise compared to GT2) but also pretty much looked a full console generation ahead of other driving games at the time. Then, in the last few months, you got Silent Hill 2, Final Fantasy X (except here in Europe because we had to wait several months for the lovely PAL conversion), Grand Theft Auto 3, the first Burnout, the first Pro Evolution Soccer (yeah I know, sportsball but PES was the best soccer game ever at that point) SSX Tricky, Metal Gear Solid 2 (again, Europe had to wait a few months) and Ico, and those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. That is a loving stacked last few months of the year.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ToxicToast posted:

In fact the PS2 had such staying power it made me a late adapter to getting a 360 and PS3.
I still don't own a PS3. In fact, I skipped that console generation entirely. After I bought my PS2 in... '03-ish, I think?, I didn't buy another home console for something like 11 years.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is there an adapter or anything that would let me use a PS4 controller with a PS2? My hands are kind of messed up and I can’t really use the older, smaller Dual Shocks anymore.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The simple answer is emulation. PCSX2 isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn good, and if you have Steam on your PC, you have DualShock 4 support. Better yet, it's free.

If you're looking to use a DS4 on an actual PS2, I'm not sure. I don't know of any adapters that will work in the controller port (although I haven't done much looking), but I remember reading a few years ago about the possibility of using USB gamepads on a softmodded PS2. I'll have to look and see if I can dig up how to do it, because it's relevant to my interests as well.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

Is there an adapter or anything that would let me use a PS4 controller with a PS2? My hands are kind of messed up and I can’t really use the older, smaller Dual Shocks anymore.

Are you comfortable with softmodding your ps2? there is software that allows for the use of ps3/4 controllers. it's something I plan to do.

here's a guide from a guy i trust for this sort of stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-BU-uBdJ9Q

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Magic Pengel would still be amazing if it had been released today. The way it would animate the things you drew was so robust and satisfying. The sequel Graffiti Kingdom had a much upgraded drawing interface, and it was cool to be able to run around as your doodles around in a platform setting, but it couldn't animate 6 legged creatures in that perfect insect like way. It would just kinda stick two legs together on each side.

It would be so rad to have Magic Pengel on a modern console with built-in screenshot sharing. Heck, they'd probably let you trade doodles online too.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Tell me which PS2 game to play next! I have never beaten/played any of these, trying to clear my backlog:

Devil May Cry
ICO
Jak 3 (about to beat Jak II so probably not this one)
Kingdom Hearts
Okami HD
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Ratchet & Clank
Zone of the Enders

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a Steam port of Okami HD. Maybe wait for the sale on that one.
I think ICO can be done before that sale.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 19, 2019

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

TheManWithNoName posted:

Tell me which PS2 game to play next! I have never beaten/played any of these, trying to clear my backlog:

ICO

Do ICO imo, maybe I'll even get around to playing it too

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Zone of Enders followed by the sequel followed by DMC

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ICO is awesome and probably the first strand game

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Gran Turismo 4 needs to be mentioned, it was probably the peak of Gran Turismo as we know it. Tons and tons of content. Amazing graphics, that still look decent on a modern flatscreen if you connect with component cables. The physics model is a little crude by todays standards, but still workable. Definitively does need a harddrive to play from these days, since it was a dual-layer disc and would make the PS2s drive poo poo itself.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The first time I saw a demo of Gran Turismo 3 running in a store I thought it looked absolutely photorealistic lol. I must have been about 16

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I had that moment seeing Ace Combat 4 running in a Toys R Us floor display.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Roth posted:

Considering my PS3 seems to have a failing audio chip, I wonder if it'd be a better idea to just get a PS2 and one of the newer model PS3s to replace it. I'm assuming there's a decent HDMI converter for the PS2? I have one for the Wii and it works pretty well.

I've had some good luck with the Hyperlink HDMI adapter. It's around $30, and besides its limitations (RGB only, so you can't watch DVDs on it) it is pretty good. You have the choice of 4:3 or 16:9, and I'm not noticing any lag on it. Picture is clear, but not much better than you could expect from a component cable.

You have to set your console to RGB, otherwise the picture is very green.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The first time I saw a demo of Gran Turismo 3 running in a store I thought it looked absolutely photorealistic lol. I must have been about 16

When I saw the heat haze in a GT3 replay I was like holy poo poo graphics will never be better than this

Which was silly of me but I was 14 or something.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There was a time when the 4-polygon FF7 models were mind-blowing. They're the 3D equivalent of Atari graphics now, but the game looked great at the time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I loved that going to the bargain bin for the PS2 was basically an ever changing assortment because the PS2 was still relatively cheap to develop for and literally everyone had one so why not see if your weird niche title about frog golf finds an audience.

Well always have each other buggy, barely playable may as well have been one long QTE Orphen game.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Barudak posted:

I loved that going to the bargain bin for the PS2 was basically an ever changing assortment because the PS2 was still relatively cheap to develop for and literally everyone had one so why not see if your weird niche title about frog golf finds an audience.

Well always have each other buggy, barely playable may as well have been one long QTE Orphen game.

Hey I own that game! Another on the pile of poo poo I haven't played. And Orphen did it's job somewhat well as the "look what we can do!" launch title, which still doesn't excuse that it is a crappy QTE of a game based on an anime property no one cares about.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcxCAAkYkLI

Still one of my favorite games of all time, and imo the best GTA game. Everything worked, the look, the soundtrack, the setting, everything.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?

Randaconda posted:

Still one of my favorite games of all time, and imo the best GTA game. Everything worked, the look, the soundtrack, the setting, everything.
Was just having a discussion with some other 30-40-something nerds about "if you could only play one game for the rest of your life, what would it be" and this was hands down my winner.

Even the stupid 800 numbers in the fake ads were linked to voicemails about the fake products.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got it right when it came out, and having not played GTAIII, I had no idea what to expect, and it was loving perfect. I just wish it was bigger. They could release an enhanced version with like double the area and random missions and it'd be a day 1 purchase.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Turbinosamente posted:

Hey I own that game! Another on the pile of poo poo I haven't played. And Orphen did it's job somewhat well as the "look what we can do!" launch title, which still doesn't excuse that it is a crappy QTE of a game based on an anime property no one cares about.

Sorcerer Stabber Orphen (which is a loving amazing title) actually gets some play every now and then, mostly because (iirc) it has a trans character who's really well-handled, especially for the time it came out.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Randaconda posted:

I knew this was Vice City before I even clicked the link.

I would love GTA VI to be basically a Vice City remake.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dell_Zincht posted:

I knew this was Vice City before I even clicked the link.

I would love GTA VI to be basically a Vice City remake.

:same:

gimme a kickin' rad 80s soundtrack and cocaine infested Miami again, Rockstar. Take my money, you cowards

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Sorcerer Stabber Orphen (which is a loving amazing title) actually gets some play every now and then, mostly because (iirc) it has a trans character who's really well-handled, especially for the time it came out.

I don't know if Stephanie was in the game, but yeah, she was handled really well for a series that started in the mid-90s. Cleao and Magick were a bit "Whaaaaaaaaaat?" about it, but Orphen didn't give a poo poo (in a good way).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah orphen's trans character is really good. The weird Imma make the villain a baby and raise him as my child was uh, more out there.

Eternal Ring for PS2 is another forgotten jank and interesting game from fromsoft. I loved the concept even if I suuuucked at it.

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Barudak posted:

Weird, experimental PS2 games are honestly my favorite games ever. They hit that perfect balance between the originality of an indie game and AAA polish. I still have good memories renting Gitaroo Man or Skygunner from Blockbuster.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

For those who still might doubt if the PS2 is retro :

It's been 19 years since the PS2 was released, but there were only 18 years between Pitfall! for the Atari and the PS2 release.

Pitfall! - April 1982
PS2 - March 2000

For me it doesn't matter how many consoles it's been, it matters how many years it's been.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 6, 2019

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I've always felt like if something was approaching 20 years old, then it's essentially retro. The PS2, in this case, was released in Japan on March 4, 2000, Oct. 26, 2000 in North America, and Nov. 24, 2000 in Europe and Australia.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

2020 vision as we look back on 20 years of awesome PS2 history next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What's the best kind of cable I can get to connect an NTSC PS2? I have a Japanese one without cables and a CRT TV with SCART.