Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Tokyo Extreme Racer had a version on PS2 that is decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Burnout 3 is the best PS2 one imo and it has a very good crash mode

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

Guillermus posted:

What are good PS2 arcadey racing games? I really liked Juiced back in the days and of course NFS Underground 2 (probably one my favourite of all time). For reference of the style of games: Juiced, NFS Underground 2 and of course Burnout style games (what's the best PS2 burnout game? I'd love one with the crash game mode). Micromachines or whatever games are cool too if they're not pure jank.

Outrun 2

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Outrun 2006 is incredible, yeah.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cool thanks! I want to relax with some crash mode. Oh and Outrun 2006 was drat great, I own the PC version

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

the Choro-Q/Penny Racers games might work for you also

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they should have made a sequel to MS Saga I like it way more than the SD gundam's

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I need to play that myself one day but on the surface I will agree

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The SD Gundam games just aren't very good. MS Saga isn't amazing, but it's still a better game.

Started going through the Ratchets again, it's so odd to be starting with nothing after child me went through the game scores of times with everything maxed out. I failed an arena challenge in 3 not for taking damage but because I ran out of ammo.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

Outrun 2006 is incredible, yeah.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you liked Wangan Midnight, try Tokyo Xtreme Zero. You drive the Shuto Expressway like in the anime. If you liked Initial D, try Initial D Special Stage. This game does not work on a slim ps2 though.

Ridge Racer V is pretty good too.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Party Boat posted:

Burnout 3 is the best PS2 one imo and it has a very good crash mode

I don't get why everyone prefers Revenge over 3 (don't get me wrong, both are good) because 3 to this day hit that sweet spot so hard plus that soundtrack, man.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Revenge had traffic-checking so it was a bit 'easier' in that sense

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
This seems like a good thread to ask this question in. Thinking of moving my PS2 slim up to my bedroom to play on my new TV. What would be a good HDMI adapter for it, especially one that can play PS1 games with it. I ask because I’ve heard most modern TVs have zero idea what the gently caress to do with 240p signals over HDMI.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Retrotink 5x is probably the best solution

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Okay, is there a solution that doesn’t cost as much as a new console? Because $325 is hilariously high.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah fair enough, uhhhh I think My Life in Gaming has an episode about the PS2 that should give some insight

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
https://www.retrorgb.com/playstation2.html

That gives a bunch of options and explains them

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's a shame the Rad2x line from Retrotink seems to have just dried up entirely. Those are like a 2x Pro for a single system.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Little Abigail posted:

Okay, is there a solution that doesn’t cost as much as a new console? Because $325 is hilariously high.

So I really don’t meant to sound snarky, but that is what it costs do get the best quality (plus component cables if you don’t have any).

The cheaper Amazon adapters will get the job done, but depending on how sensitive you are to input lag and video quality in general YMMV.

If you don’t mind tinkering, you could build a GBS-C scaler for less than 100$, or get a used OSSC.

All things considered though, PS2 outputs 480i interlaced video which is harder to get “looking nice” on a modern display.

Honesty if you are a big PS2 fan, have you considered a CRT? If you can find a free/local 14-20” with at least S Video, it would be great for PS2.
If you do go that route though, make sure it’s not a later 480p / HD model or Ps2 won’t look quite right.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yeah, GBS-C is rad if you have basic soldering skills. About my only complaint with it is I could have built mine a little more efficiently so it didn't end up looking like a cybernetic rat-king, and if I ever get the time I might just rebuild it.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Pegnose Pete posted:

So I really don’t meant to sound snarky, but that is what it costs do get the best quality (plus component cables if you don’t have any).

The cheaper Amazon adapters will get the job done, but depending on how sensitive you are to input lag and video quality in general YMMV.

If you don’t mind tinkering, you could build a GBS-C scaler for less than 100$, or get a used OSSC.

All things considered though, PS2 outputs 480i interlaced video which is harder to get “looking nice” on a modern display.

Honesty if you are a big PS2 fan, have you considered a CRT? If you can find a free/local 14-20” with at least S Video, it would be great for PS2.
If you do go that route though, make sure it’s not a later 480p / HD model or Ps2 won’t look quite right.

I have a crt downstairs that no one uses so was never replaced. I think it looks like poo poo!

I just bought something off of Amazon, it should be fine.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Little Abigail posted:

I have a crt downstairs that no one uses so was never replaced. I think it looks like poo poo!

I just bought something off of Amazon, it should be fine.

It’s all down to personal preference and feel. Hope you have a good time with it! :)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I have finally overcome the last major hurdle in the way of living my best PS2 :yarr: life (at least until I'm ready to tackle an ethernet hard drive): learning the dark incantations required to play multi-disc games through POPStarter.

Naturally, I'm celebrating with the Most Multi-Disc Game I've ever downloaded: 70s Robot Anime Geppy-X. It would be too easy to play something I could actually understand!

I do wish someone would undertake fansubbing this sucker, though. The whole thing is such a fascinating study in excess, I want to appreciate the lengths they went to for this insane project.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I've been spending the last couple of evenings playing some Fatal Frame (first 1, now 2) in a semi-cramped loft, on a CRT, with all the lights off, and let me tell ya

is spooky

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023

After The War posted:

I have finally overcome the last major hurdle in the way of living my best PS2 :yarr: life (at least until I'm ready to tackle an ethernet hard drive): learning the dark incantations required to play multi-disc games through POPStarter.

Look into using Tonyhax or Mechapwn (depending on your PS2 model). It uses the built in PSX hardware instead of some emulator and you can just switch discs normally. You would have to burn CDs though if that's something you find annoying.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

leaptosleep posted:

Look into using Tonyhax or Mechapwn (depending on your PS2 model). It uses the built in PSX hardware instead of some emulator and you can just switch discs normally. You would have to burn CDs though if that's something you find annoying.

drat thanks for this post, didnt realize something like mechapwn was going, its the one thing i wanted most on freemcboot so i play my ps1 region discs that wont run on my pal system without constantly loving around, gonna try it tonight since something is up with my modchipped ps1 i think

Would this also work if i plugged in a hdd/network to run backups from there too? I ripped all my discs awhile ago on my pc ans i can use the network to run all my ps2 and ps1 isos thay way on freemcbooted ps2 might just do it

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Would this also work if i plugged in a hdd/network to run backups from there too? I ripped all my discs awhile ago on my pc ans i can use the network to run all my ps2 and ps1 isos thay way on freemcbooted ps2 might just do it

Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, the PS1 chip is used as part of the HDD/network bus which is why you can't run PS1 backups natively from storage and need pops in the first place.

At the current time, the only way to engage the PS1 chip as normal is to load from a disc, so you just have to burn your ISOs to CD and play like it's 199X.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
Yeah, POPstarter is the only way you will be able to play PS1 games from your HDD. It's pretty silly, I have a PS2 hooked up in my entertainment center, it's networked and everything. But if I want to still play PSX games it's easier to run them on Duckstation on the PC connected to my television instead. Around the holidays I played through BoF3 and used an 8BitDo SNES controller and I was really happy with the experience.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Has anyone here dabbled with the new drag and drop hard drive solution that came out?

https://www.retrorgb.com/new-opl-update-lets-you-use-any-size-hard-drive.html

I'm sure it was posted months back but I'm curious if it's matured more or if there are any pitfalls. My current 1TB drive setup is working fine but I wouldn't mind loving it all up for fun.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
PlayStation 2 Thread: It's working fine but I wouldn't mind loving it all up for fun

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So I happened upon a PS2 (for $120, but it came with cables and a memcard at least). And the next two purchases were this Noctua fan mod that was printed and this connection thing since I couldn't be hosed to find a proper IDE HDD.

The caveat is, the store I got the PS2 from also has a 90 day warranty for the system complete with sticker... which is right over the separation line. I dunno if I should wait the 90 days out (basically Halloween, bought July 30th) or say gently caress the warranty and yeet that sucker open. Any suggestions?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The FTC says warranty void stickers are bullshit in the US, I think AU has ruled the same. Go for it.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

kirbysuperstar posted:

The FTC says warranty void stickers are bullshit in the US, I think AU has ruled the same. Go for it.

Yeah but does the guy at the little store know or even care?
That said I’d just do it because I’ve never used a warranty in my life and it’s only 90 days anyhow.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

widespread posted:

So I happened upon a PS2 (for $120, but it came with cables and a memcard at least). And the next two purchases were this Noctua fan mod that was printed and this connection thing since I couldn't be hosed to find a proper IDE HDD.

I have an old fat ps2 I bought from a goon many years ago now. Thanks for the link on the sata adapter. I have one on order now as my old IDE drive in the ps2 doesn’t always want to spin up these days. I also bought a plastic ssd drive holder and I’m shopping for a 2tb ssd for it.

My PS2 I think is modded but I’m not sure it’s been many years.Without pulling all the screws out and taking it apart is there a way to tell if and what type of mod it has?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

widespread posted:

The caveat is, the store I got the PS2 from also has a 90 day warranty for the system complete with sticker... which is right over the separation line. I dunno if I should wait the 90 days out (basically Halloween, bought July 30th) or say gently caress the warranty and yeet that sucker open. Any suggestions?

For the fan, Be prepared to do some filing to clean up the print to help it fit. Fair warning, too, getting to the fan connector on a fat PS2 is one of the most annoying things I've do so far in console modding. You have to basically disassemble the entire system and the ribbon cable for the power button is obnoxious.

That adapter looks fine, I went with a BitFunx from their Ali store, so same difference. Works great.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832623271535.html

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 20, 2023

Trent
Sep 3, 2023

For me, can't talk about PS2 racing games without mentioning Gran Turismo 3. That's just my childhood jam, my brother and I played split screen so much, we did this thing where I made him sign a 'sale contract' piece of paper using my credits to buy his lovely white van, I forget what vehicle it was. Hilarious.

Just the GT3 soundtrack itself is timeless

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Trent posted:

For me, can't talk about PS2 racing games without mentioning Gran Turismo 3. That's just my childhood jam, my brother and I played split screen so much, we did this thing where I made him sign a 'sale contract' piece of paper using my credits to buy his lovely white van, I forget what vehicle it was. Hilarious.

Just the GT3 soundtrack itself is timeless

GT4 is just a different level of content and technical prowess, but GT3 definitively wins when it comes to charm.

Trent
Sep 3, 2023

evobatman posted:

GT4 is just a different level of content and technical prowess, but GT3 definitively wins when it comes to charm.

Never played GT4, and I hear people say that often but I've always been content with the content (lol) of GT3, though nostalgia is undeniably a factor. I also feel there's only so much content you can add to a game before it stops benefiting from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I finally got around to upgrading my ps2 today. I bought a sata to ps2 adapter that someone mentioned in the thread. The install was pretty easy other than having to drive to the hardware store to pick up a tiny T6 screwdriver to remove the old ide and molex power plugs. I also had purchased from eBay a ssd 3d printed bracket that holds the drive more securely.

Shield off the network adapter. I of course forgot to take a pic after installing the adapter.

Old refurb maxtor drive served well over 15 years. Replaced with 1TB SSD.

3D printed adapter isn’t mandatory but does provide support for the smaller drive.

Oh and I picked up a 8bitdo adapter but haven’t tried it yet looking to use it with DS3