Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

widespread posted:

So I happened upon a PS2 (for $120, but it came with cables and a memcard at least). And the next two purchases were this Noctua fan mod that was printed and this connection thing since I couldn't be hosed to find a proper IDE HDD.

I have an old fat ps2 I bought from a goon many years ago now. Thanks for the link on the sata adapter. I have one on order now as my old IDE drive in the ps2 doesn’t always want to spin up these days. I also bought a plastic ssd drive holder and I’m shopping for a 2tb ssd for it.

My PS2 I think is modded but I’m not sure it’s been many years.Without pulling all the screws out and taking it apart is there a way to tell if and what type of mod it has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I finally got around to upgrading my ps2 today. I bought a sata to ps2 adapter that someone mentioned in the thread. The install was pretty easy other than having to drive to the hardware store to pick up a tiny T6 screwdriver to remove the old ide and molex power plugs. I also had purchased from eBay a ssd 3d printed bracket that holds the drive more securely.

Shield off the network adapter. I of course forgot to take a pic after installing the adapter.

Old refurb maxtor drive served well over 15 years. Replaced with 1TB SSD.

3D printed adapter isn’t mandatory but does provide support for the smaller drive.

Oh and I picked up a 8bitdo adapter but haven’t tried it yet looking to use it with DS3