Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

TheLoneStar posted:

Yeah, I know about that. I've been selling any weapon I get that I don't plan to use. What are tiers, though? When do they come into play?

You just unlocked Lana's Tier 2 magic book. Now you have a chance to get Sealing Tomes instead of just Spirit Tomes after a mission. These have a higher base damage and can have more maximum skill slots.

TheLoneStar posted:

Before anyone says, I realized after recording that it was the slots weapon that made multiple-slot weapons appear after the missions. For some reason I thought fusing that with other weapons would make those weapons gain a slot because I'm stupid.

Actually, I usually fuse the "slots" and "stars" skills to any weapons I use. These skills increase the odds of getting more slots and stars (respectively) on weapons dropped after battle. Also, the "Str x" skills, I think, affect corresponding combo skills.

Commander Keene posted:

So, in the Warriors Orochi games, you could fuse blank slots onto a weapon, so if you had a stronger weapon with fewer slots you could up those by sacrificing weaker weapons. Hyrule Warriors being the first Warriors game I really played outside of the WO mini-series, I assumed at first that you could do that. But alas, it seems that's unique to WO as far as I can tell.

In Orochi 4 you could buy slots and store skills (elements) to use on weapons later. Weapon tiers and stars were combined in that game as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

mastersord posted:

In Orochi 4 you could buy slots and store skills (elements) to use on weapons later. Weapon tiers and stars were combined in that game as well.
I've played 1-3, but I'm waiting for 4U to launch before I play that game. One of the hard rules of the universe is that Omega Force will release updated ports of their games, frequently on the same console they were initially released on.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

Also, they're multiplying (taken while playing the stage in Free Mode to get the screenshot above).
I remember being taken by surprise the first time I saw a cloned character while playing Pirate Warriors 3. I just assumed there could only be one of each of the Straw Hats in the main story levels at once.

mastersord posted:

You just unlocked Lana's Tier 2 magic book. Now you have a chance to get Sealing Tomes instead of just Spirit Tomes after a mission. These have a higher base damage and can have more maximum skill slots.
Oh, you mean the different weapon is the higher tier'd weapon, gotcha.

Part 11 - Land of Myth

Another video, another era. I'm finally in the time period I was looking forward to the most; Ocarina of Time's era. Really didn't expect to be fighting Darunia as the first boss of the time period. If anything I expected Volga or Wizzro to be the main threat. It was a creative and pleasant surprise though, I gotta say. The level itself was kind of obnoxious in my opinion. All the boulder poo poo I had to deal with along with Darunia having to be fought three times just wasn't fun at all. Didn't help that I couldn't command Sheik so I was stuck doing everything all by myself. At least I got a brand new weapon for Impa from it all. I'm still finding myself wondering what the deal with Sheik is. I'm still theorizing this isn't Zelda from the Prologue, but a Zelda from some other time period in disguise. Otherwise there's just no reason for Zelda to disguise herself this way that I can immediately think of. Especially now that the Triforce of Wisdom has been taken, so it's not like she would be a prime target even without the disguise at this point.

Zant is pretty fun to play as, with all his spazzing out and weird movements and noises. I get why he gets stunned, since that's how he was during his fight in Twilight Princess, but it's still annoying to deal with. Ghirahim was a treat with his rapid sword movements and even going full armored mode to bash away enemies with his massive sword. I expected Tingle to be a useless joke character, but aside from the odd nature of his moveset, there wasn't really anything wrong with him. I even like how they included a giant sack of Rupees in a nod to Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, Joy-Con drift is apparently a pretty common problem. Mine still seem to work fine, though. Nintendo has put up a troubleshooting guide, and if that doesn't fix the problem, Nintendo will repair or replace the drifting controller for free. I have an adapter that allows me to use my Wii U Pro Controller - which I personally find more comfortable - on my Switch (or PC), called the Mayflash Magic-NS, that I purchased for ~$20 USD. It also works with DualShock 3s and 4s, as well as any DirectInput or XInput controller.

So in the North American Wii U release of Hyrule Warriors, that fairy in the intro cutscene for the OoT level was named Navi. IIRC, that's a reference added by the Treehouse, though, because it's not in the Japanese or European versions.

Zant's gimmick is what I like to call his "spin" gauge, which fills up as he uses his combo finishers. If you overfill it, he gets dizzy and falls over. Pressing Strong Attack begins draining it, at which point mashing Light Attack will cause him to Tasmanian Devil around the room, and mashing Strong Attack makes him give his best Vegeta impersonation.

Ghirahim's gimmick is that pressing Strong Attack causes him to "lock on" to a nearby enemy, indicated by a red line traced between him and the enemy. IIRC, this causes some of his attacks (mostly the ones where he's throwing knives) to home in on that enemy. I believe he'll only lock on to officers or giant monsters, basically any enemy you can "Z-Target".

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Commander Keene posted:

Ghirahim's gimmick is that pressing Strong Attack causes him to "lock on" to a nearby enemy, indicated by a red line traced between him and the enemy. IIRC, this causes some of his attacks (mostly the ones where he's throwing knives) to home in on that enemy. I believe he'll only lock on to officers or giant monsters, basically any enemy you can "Z-Target".

As I understand it, while he's targeting, he does extra damage to that enemy with all attacks. His C2 and C4 combos (the knock-up juggle and the circle of swords from the ground) will cause a giant sword to spear the targeted enemy, no matter where they are in relation to Ghirahim. The other combos produce some sort of visual effect that might be a stun, but it's hard to tell. You can also throw knives at the targeted enemy by pressing Strong Attack again while the targeting is active, but I've never found that to be very useful.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ah, I don't use him that much. Combine that with his Darkness Elemental Effect, though, and he must be a single-target murder machine. Not sure how useful that is in a Warriors game, though.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I've replaced my left joystick twice already. It seems to get drift every 6-9 months. The actual stick is like $5-10 on Amazon and it usually comes with all the tools you'll need. As long as you don't mind dealing with tiny screws and some tiny ribbon connectors, it's not too hard to replace it yourself. It sure beats paying $60 for a new set of Joycons or sending them back to Nintendo and waiting.

One of Girahim's combos is great for clearing keeps because of it's huge AoE. I can't remember it off hand, but it creates a diamond floor which lifts everyone up and slams them all down.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

mastersord posted:

One of Girahim's combos is great for clearing keeps because of it's huge AoE. I can't remember it off hand, but it creates a diamond floor which lifts everyone up and slams them all down.

That's the C5, and I use it for the same purpose. It's not as good with the targeting because it's difficult to target and then do the combo before the targeting breaks. Also, Ghirahim's combo breaks lock-on, so it's a pain when fighting captains. I stick with the targeting and C2 for that.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Nidoking posted:

You can also throw knives at the targeted enemy by pressing Strong Attack again while the targeting is active, but I've never found that to be very useful.

It can be useful on the adventure mode maps where you essentially need to never get hit or you get splattered. He can lock on from quite a range, and throw the knives from even further, and IIRC, the knives are homing which is an advantage over just using the bow.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, Joy-Con drift is apparently a pretty common problem. Mine still seem to work fine, though. Nintendo has put up a troubleshooting guide, and if that doesn't fix the problem, Nintendo will repair or replace the drifting controller for free. I have an adapter that allows me to use my Wii U Pro Controller - which I personally find more comfortable - on my Switch (or PC), called the Mayflash Magic-NS, that I purchased for ~$20 USD. It also works with DualShock 3s and 4s, as well as any DirectInput or XInput controller.

So in the North American Wii U release of Hyrule Warriors, that fairy in the intro cutscene for the OoT level was named Navi. IIRC, that's a reference added by the Treehouse, though, because it's not in the Japanese or European versions.

Zant's gimmick is what I like to call his "spin" gauge, which fills up as he uses his combo finishers. If you overfill it, he gets dizzy and falls over. Pressing Strong Attack begins draining it, at which point mashing Light Attack will cause him to Tasmanian Devil around the room, and mashing Strong Attack makes him give his best Vegeta impersonation.
Surprisingly enough, just calibrating the joystick has worked wonders so far, and it hasn't gone wonky since, thankfully.

It would be pretty weird to just include Navi in a little cameo like that, I kind of welcome that change.

That makes some sense. Kind of an annoying mechanic, but I guess it fits how he fought in Twilight Princess so whatever.

Part 12 - The Water Temple

Not much really going on in the main level here. I guess I liked going from up above Lake Hylia to within the Water Temple but aside from that I don't have much. Still waiting on an explanation on why Zelda felt the need to disguise herself, even after it was more than blatantly obvious in-universe what her identity truly was. It also seems like I'm reaching the story's endgame pretty early which seems odd. I guess I thought it'd last a bit longer. In terms of trying out new fighters, I had a great time. Marin was mildly annoying with her battle cries, but otherwise okay and summoning the Wind Fish almost casually like that was amusing. Toon Link is very animated (naturally) and was fun to watch go about his attacks, especially that massive Spin Attack that left him in a daze. The Skull Kid was great to see zip around shooting out magical orbs and lasers as Tatl and Tael supported him. Honestly expected him to summon a miniature moon for his Focus attack, was pretty surprised with the little ball thing instead. Finally, Young Link was great and has what I can tell is an easily exploitable mechanic with his SP to Magic conversation while in his Fierce Deity mode. I just might try and main him over regular Link if I can get him to catch up in the levels...

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 26, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I keep forgetting about Hero of Time Link's "war orphan" backstory. I think it makes OoT one of the few Zelda games where there was a conflict not caused by some monolithic force of Evil (Ganon, Vaati, etc). Most of the time the series is talking about war, it's talking about Hylians fighting monsters led by Ganon.

Hyrule Warriors' "elemental" system is somewhat complicated. First off, there's a difference between a character's elemental damage and the elemental effect they apply to their attacks. Most of the time, it's going to be the same as the element the game tells you for their weapon. However, sometimes that's not the case, most notably with Sheik. She's always dealing Lightning-type damage, even if the effect going off is water, fire, or darkness. This means she deals additional damage to enemies weak against lightning (more on that later). However, she can apply different elemental effects, such as water DoTs, fire explosions, or lightning juggle damage, depending upon which combo finisher she uses. Matching a character's weapon element up with the recommended element of the stage confers a damage boost, IIRC.

As for elemental weaknesses on enemies, that's a bit complicated, too. Some are intuitive, such as Darunia and Volga both taking additional damage from Water characters, IIRC. Others are less so. For example, Young Link has only one Darkness elemental weapon but he takes additional damage from the Darkness element. Elemental weakness is determined by character, not by weapon, so whenever Link shows up, regardless of whether he's wielding his Sword and Shield (a Light weapon) or his Magic Rod (a Fire weapon), he'll take additional damage from Darkness weapons. None of this applies to the player. No matter which character you're controlling, you will never take extra damage from any weapon element. The characters' respective elements might figure into how well AI characters deal with enemy officers when offscreen (onscreen officers will avoid attacking the player's target in order to prevent "officer dogpiles" where the player never gets to attack)? I just remember the AI being more generally competent in Fire Emblem Warriors than in this game, as long as you obeyed the weapon triangle.

I forget whether or not the giant bosses are part of the same elemental system that officers are part of, but IIRC their weak point gauges deplete faster when they're hit with certain elemental effects. For example, King Dodongo's gauge will deplete faster if you use Sheik's water tornado attack (YX), which would normally put a bubble around the enemy's head.

I don't think enemy mooks are part of the elemental system at all, but they die so fast and are so non-aggressive in this game it's never really an issue. I booted up Warriors Orochi 2 recently to test PS2 emulation on my laptop, and boy were the mooks more aggressive in that game. I could link to a video that explains the elemental system in more detail, but it assumes you've played through the game and has character spoilers.

I'unno, it's hard to tell Goron sexes apart (do they even have them?), maybe Darunia finds it difficult to tell human sexes apart.

Zelda was disguised as Sheik because Ocarina of Time reference (the game even categorizes Sheik as an OoT character), despite it not making sense and even actively being detrimental to her army in this instance. I can let it go because this is a fanservice game, but no, there is no in-universe justification for Sheik, especially once a fake Zelda started sowing discord.

I think all the reinforcements in that "kill 300 dudes" mission are time-locked; they appear at specific times, rather than having triggers you can manipulate. But I'm not certain, because I usually blaze through those too fast for any thorough testing.

Young Link is probably my favorite character to play. As you can likely tell from his Strong Attack, he wants you to be in Focus Spirit as much as possible. Each full Special Attack bar equates to just about 1/3 of his Magic bar, which means you want to rush down the badges that give him Special Attack bars and the ones that increase the time he spends in Focus Spirit. Managing his Magic bar and using Focus Spirit becomes much easier with him than with any other character. I haven't done much with My Fairy personally, despite all the hours I've put into this game, but I hear that if you set a fairy up for him with certain Magic abilities, he can stay in Focus Spirit mode for practically an entire stage.

Let me know if these walls of text are becoming obnoxious, by the way.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

I keep forgetting about Hero of Time Link's "war orphan" backstory. I think it makes OoT one of the few Zelda games where there was a conflict not caused by some monolithic force of Evil (Ganon, Vaati, etc). Most of the time the series is talking about war, it's talking about Hylians fighting monsters led by Ganon.

Hyrule Warriors' "elemental" system is somewhat complicated. First off, there's a difference between a character's elemental damage and the elemental effect they apply to their attacks. Most of the time, it's going to be the same as the element the game tells you for their weapon. However, sometimes that's not the case, most notably with Sheik. She's always dealing Lightning-type damage, even if the effect going off is water, fire, or darkness. This means she deals additional damage to enemies weak against lightning (more on that later). However, she can apply different elemental effects, such as water DoTs, fire explosions, or lightning juggle damage, depending upon which combo finisher she uses. Matching a character's weapon element up with the recommended element of the stage confers a damage boost, IIRC.

As for elemental weaknesses on enemies, that's a bit complicated, too. Some are intuitive, such as Darunia and Volga both taking additional damage from Water characters, IIRC. Others are less so. For example, Young Link has only one Darkness elemental weapon but he takes additional damage from the Darkness element. Elemental weakness is determined by character, not by weapon, so whenever Link shows up, regardless of whether he's wielding his Sword and Shield (a Light weapon) or his Magic Rod (a Fire weapon), he'll take additional damage from Darkness weapons. None of this applies to the player. No matter which character you're controlling, you will never take extra damage from any weapon element. The characters' respective elements might figure into how well AI characters deal with enemy officers when offscreen (onscreen officers will avoid attacking the player's target in order to prevent "officer dogpiles" where the player never gets to attack)? I just remember the AI being more generally competent in Fire Emblem Warriors than in this game, as long as you obeyed the weapon triangle.

I forget whether or not the giant bosses are part of the same elemental system that officers are part of, but IIRC their weak point gauges deplete faster when they're hit with certain elemental effects. For example, King Dodongo's gauge will deplete faster if you use Sheik's water tornado attack (YX), which would normally put a bubble around the enemy's head.

I don't think enemy mooks are part of the elemental system at all, but they die so fast and are so non-aggressive in this game it's never really an issue. I booted up Warriors Orochi 2 recently to test PS2 emulation on my laptop, and boy were the mooks more aggressive in that game. I could link to a video that explains the elemental system in more detail, but it assumes you've played through the game and has character spoilers.

I'unno, it's hard to tell Goron sexes apart (do they even have them?), maybe Darunia finds it difficult to tell human sexes apart.

Zelda was disguised as Sheik because Ocarina of Time reference (the game even categorizes Sheik as an OoT character), despite it not making sense and even actively being detrimental to her army in this instance. I can let it go because this is a fanservice game, but no, there is no in-universe justification for Sheik, especially once a fake Zelda started sowing discord.

I think all the reinforcements in that "kill 300 dudes" mission are time-locked; they appear at specific times, rather than having triggers you can manipulate. But I'm not certain, because I usually blaze through those too fast for any thorough testing.

Young Link is probably my favorite character to play. As you can likely tell from his Strong Attack, he wants you to be in Focus Spirit as much as possible. Each full Special Attack bar equates to just about 1/3 of his Magic bar, which means you want to rush down the badges that give him Special Attack bars and the ones that increase the time he spends in Focus Spirit. Managing his Magic bar and using Focus Spirit becomes much easier with him than with any other character. I haven't done much with My Fairy personally, despite all the hours I've put into this game, but I hear that if you set a fairy up for him with certain Magic abilities, he can stay in Focus Spirit mode for practically an entire stage.

Let me know if these walls of text are becoming obnoxious, by the way.
He's pretty much the most tragic Link ever. Nintendo just really hates him for some reason. I always forget there was even a Civil War backstory, since it's so rarely brought up in the game and no concrete details are ever given. That is a good point, though, I never thought about how it was just a natural war with no reincarnated demons or anything being behind it all.

Wait, you mean elemental-wise the various attacks of hers are just for show? I mean I guess a character having access to all the elements at once can be kind of broken, but it feels pretty dishonest.

I never really expected the weapon I use to effect the kind of damage I take. That kind of thought never entered my mind. Still, that's good to know though. Also good to know whoever I play as is generally safe from that elemental stuff. Personally it doesn't seem to matter who I use and what kinds of attacks I unleash on any boss. For me, at least, the meter always seems to go down the same. It seems to at least go down at different paces for different bosses. Like Manhandla, I can never get him past the halfway point of his little weak point gauge, no matter who I'm playing as or what element they use.

For the mooks, what about the higher-up enemies? Darknits, Moblins, Lizalfos, etc.? For some Adventure Mode levels, they can really take a lot of abuse before finally going down.

There has never been a female Goron in the series, and the ones we see are always referred to as males. Personally I imagine they're just an all-male race that reproduces via rock budding. Hunks of rocks from their backs fall off and make little baby Gorons. You're welcome for that mental image.

I mean I gathered the whole Ocarina of Time thing about Sheik. I'm just mildly annoyed there's no in-universe reason. It's kind of funny because Zelda even apologizes to Impa over it, but provides no real explanation. And you're right, her revealing herself would could a massive morale boost to her army. So much for the Triforce of Wisdom.

I think it might be enemy-locked, at least in this case. I don't think those magic transporters ever appeared before 200 kills. Like with you, I blaze through them so fast I also don't really test it out or pay much attention before the latest video.

He really is a treat. Him being my favorite character just makes it even better. Definitely have to get all those badges unlocked like you said and soon. I'll also have to try and use My Fairy in the way you described. Fierce Deity Link for an entire stage sounds amazing.

And no worries. I don't mind them at all. Especially if I can nerd out about Zelda in any way because of them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TheLoneStar posted:

Wait, you mean elemental-wise the various attacks of hers are just for show? I mean I guess a character having access to all the elements at once can be kind of broken, but it feels pretty dishonest.
Sheik only ever deals additional damage to enemies vulnerable to Lightning damage, and only gains a power boost on Lightning element-recommended stages. However, remember how I said elemental damage and elemental effect are different? Sheik can cause the status effects of any element, and depletes giant boss weak point gauges matching the elemental effect of the attack she's using. It's not entirely for show, but she doesn't just get to use any element she pleases, either. Like I said, it's kind of complicated, perhaps unnecessarily so. She's the only character that natively has access to all of the elemental effects, IIRC, and only a few have access to more than one natively on a single weapon.

Fortunately, you're never really forced to worry about the elemental properties of your characters/weapons in the main plot of the game, so you can just ignore it if this is going over your head.

TheLoneStar posted:

For the mooks, what about the higher-up enemies? Darknits, Moblins, Lizalfos, etc.? For some Adventure Mode levels, they can really take a lot of abuse before finally going down.
Every officer has an elemental vulnerability, including non-playable "generic" officers like the Lizalfos (Water) and Darknuts (Lightning).

TheLoneStar posted:

There has never been a female Goron in the series, and the ones we see are always referred to as males. Personally I imagine they're just an all-male race that reproduces via rock budding. Hunks of rocks from their backs fall off and make little baby Gorons. You're welcome for that mental image.
That just makes it even more likely that Darunia finds this whole "sexual dimorphism" thing humans have going on so confusing! Women are something his species has no concept of, and probably don't even have a word in the Goron language!

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 27, 2019

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

New waves of enemies appear when you defeat 100 enemies. The waves come with either a captain who will buff the enemies after a certain amount of time or a giant boss - I think giant bosses appear at 100, 400, and 700, assuming you need that many KOs to win the mission.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Breath of the Wild has Gorons be mono-gender which is why the Gerudo let them all into their village.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

Sheik only ever deals additional damage to enemies vulnerable to Lightning damage, and only gains a power boost on Lightning element-recommended stages. However, remember how I said elemental damage and elemental effect are different? Sheik can cause the status effects of any element, and depletes giant boss weak point gauges matching the elemental effect of the attack she's using. It's not entirely for show, but she doesn't just get to use any element she pleases, either. Like I said, it's kind of complicated, perhaps unnecessarily so. She's the only character that natively has access to all of the elemental effects, IIRC, and only a few have access to more than one natively on a single weapon.

That just makes it even more likely that Darunia finds this whole "sexual dimorphism" thing humans have going on so confusing! Women are something his species has no concept of, and probably don't even have a word in the Goron language!
Yeah, it really seems needlessly confusing. Honestly I don't even bother with the elemental stuff very much. I mean, for instance, my Link is so grossly overleveled that he just mows down whatever I throw him at, regardless of what elemental strengths or weaknesses they may have.

I mean, maybe. Can't say I gave the subject much thought.

TheKirbs posted:

Breath of the Wild has Gorons be mono-gender which is why the Gerudo let them all into their village.
It's a constant in every game. Like I mentioned before, female Gorons simply don't exist in the franchise. The nervous Gerudo not knowing what to do about the wandering Goron in the village was funny, either way.

Part 13 - Powers Collide

I'm almost disappointed we didn't get anything with Linkle being blissfully unaware she wandered into a rift in space/time. Also it seems Volga just has nothing better to do than attacking a Temple that already hate its gate shut. I'd think he'd want to go try and kill part of the main group instead but oh well. Storywise not much else going on here compared to the first Linkle level, sadly. I really got to wonder just what kind of conclusion her tale will have but I'm sure it'll be humorous. As for characters I tested out...Cia had a lot of spectacles going about in her moveset, and I love her summoning Dark Links to attack for her, even if they cut me up pretty bad during the recording. Volga is just a beast, and I had thought he simply summoned a dragon, not turned into one. I really don't recall him ever growing a claw or wings in the dozen times I fought him, so that was a pleasant surprise. Wizzro is kind of...I don't know. He just doesn't feel right to me. Like none of his attacks seem to have any weight to them, and they aren't rapid-fire enough to feel satisfying either. After playing as Agitha more between videos, I realized she has that same problem too. Despite apparently being a well-loved character of the development team, Agitha sucks and no matter how much I level her up, her attacks barely ever seem to do anything. Not even on the easier Adventure Mode maps.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cia's greatest strength, IMO, shows up against giant bosses. You know that attack where she summons Dark Links in a line (YYYX under Warriors control scheme)? Each Link has its own attack hurtboxes and counts as individual hits. Furthermore, if you're fast enough, you can get a second one started before the first one completely finishes. This absolutely shreds giant boss weak point gauges, to the point where Cia alone can go from full gauge to empty gauge before the boss gets back up, without any badges to increase WPG depletion. She's also pretty good at keep-clearing with her YX, which has a good area of effect. Sadly, there's pretty much never a reason to do YXX or YXXX, because most of the time you'll be juggling corpses by the end. Her "darkness cannon" (YYXXX) has huge range and can nail people a mile away, and is also pretty good for officer WPGs.

Volga is my hopes and dreams for the revival of the Breath of Fire series crystallized into a humanoid form. He is my precious dragon boy and I will hear no ill spoken of him. He's also fairly simple to play; what you see is what you get.

Wizzro is a bit of an oddity in that he's a "trap" character; his moveset requires planning ahead and thinking about where your attacks are going before execution, which makes him the "skill gate" character. The slow-moving orbs he fires off explode into much larger orbs if contacted by any of his other attacks (except maybe the beam?), so you need to carefully place your attacks to get the most out of him. Just mashing around in a random stage probably won't give you a feel for the character. That attack where he spins in a circle firing orbs is pretty good for depleting giant boss WPGs, IIRC, though.

Confession time: I don't really like playing Wizzro either, so make of that what you will.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

Cia's greatest strength, IMO, shows up against giant bosses. You know that attack where she summons Dark Links in a line (YYYX under Warriors control scheme)? Each Link has its own attack hurtboxes and counts as individual hits. Furthermore, if you're fast enough, you can get a second one started before the first one completely finishes. This absolutely shreds giant boss weak point gauges, to the point where Cia alone can go from full gauge to empty gauge before the boss gets back up, without any badges to increase WPG depletion. She's also pretty good at keep-clearing with her YX, which has a good area of effect. Sadly, there's pretty much never a reason to do YXX or YXXX, because most of the time you'll be juggling corpses by the end. Her "darkness cannon" (YYXXX) has huge range and can nail people a mile away, and is also pretty good for officer WPGs.

Volga is my hopes and dreams for the revival of the Breath of Fire series crystallized into a humanoid form. He is my precious dragon boy and I will hear no ill spoken of him. He's also fairly simple to play; what you see is what you get.

Wizzro is a bit of an oddity in that he's a "trap" character; his moveset requires planning ahead and thinking about where your attacks are going before execution, which makes him the "skill gate" character. The slow-moving orbs he fires off explode into much larger orbs if contacted by any of his other attacks (except maybe the beam?), so you need to carefully place your attacks to get the most out of him. Just mashing around in a random stage probably won't give you a feel for the character. That attack where he spins in a circle firing orbs is pretty good for depleting giant boss WPGs, IIRC, though.

Confession time: I don't really like playing Wizzro either, so make of that what you will.
I'll keep that in mind if I ever use her against a giant boss. I guess that's something I should've thought of when seeing all those clones come out.

Volga is a total chumopla. But no really, he is pretty fun to play as. The weird dragon/human thing he has going on just adds to it.

Eh, but that's no fun. Aren't Warrior games supposed to be about just going in and demolishing all that stands in your way save for the big bosses and the like? I mean I know I've only played two Warrior-type games but that seems to kind of be the theme and draw of the series.

Part 14 - The Demon Lord's Plan

Ghirahim is officially an inept comedy villain. At least for this level. Honestly, him just being unable to summoned The Imprisoned and somehow spawning a horde of Chibi Imprisoned was so drat entertaining, especially with his growing fury. The return of Cucco aid was great too, even if helping with the chick wasn't really worth it. I'm just wondering where Linkle's story is even gonna go. Like what will happen by the end. I'm sure she'll keep thinking she's truly the Legendary Hero, which is fine by me. As for new characters...Tetra is an instant 10/10 just because I can play a Zelda game and sincerely talk about how I'm shooting bad guys in the face. Such a rare and beautiful scenario. I like the way they utilize Twili Midna, but can't help but wish that the regular Midna simply had that sort of moveset instead mixed in with her weird hair-hand and with less wolves. King Daphnes is just...boring. His weapon is boring. His moveset is boring. Even him turning into a boat is just...meh. Really weird addition to the cast, and easily my least favorite character by far. Medli was pretty good too, especially with her clumsiness added in, helps give her some charm. Ravio was a lot of fun with the various weapons he has along with that goofy-rear end running cycle of his. Feels almost dishonest that Toon Zelda is shown as herself in the little profile pictures and the like when she's possessing a Phantom, really should've just called her Phantom Zelda. In any case, a bulky sword-wielder is still all well and good, and I also like the touch of her coming out of the suit of armor to use some big flashy light attacks.

Now all that's left is Yuga...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 15 - The Sacred Sword

At last, the Master Sword is obtained. Long before this level, I had a feeling I'd get it at some point. It's not a modern Zelda game without it, right? Pretty generous of the game to just hand it to the player in a story mission, though. I do enjoy the irony that I already have a sword that's just barely stronger than it, though. Kind of takes the impact away, huh? The level itself was nothing special except those ghost soldiers being really annoying. Not that they were hard to kill, but they just kept coming in massive waves no matter what I did and that got kind of bothersome after some time. Also nice to see Ganondorf officially on the scene, I just can't believe he's actually the main bad guy. Who would've thought? I gotta say, the cutscene at the start makes me wish we had more character interactions. I mean I know this is a Warriors game, so it's more about the action, but I just love a lot of these characters and seeing them bounce off each other more would be pleasant.

As for the last character, Yuga was pretty alright. The idea of someone using a giant magic painting frame to bash in enemy skulls is amusing to me. I'm just surprised he didn't use that Yuga Ganon form in some way, not even for his Focus Attack. Overall pretty fun though. It makes me kind of surprised there's no DLC for a playable Breath of the Wild character. I know Link and Zelda have costumes from that game, but that's about where the references end. I mean I guess there'd have to be an Adventure Mode map too, but it still seems odd that the costumes were the end of it as far as I can tell.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You appear to be having some weird graphical issues. The window effect going through walls (and I'm pretty sure the pop-in on some of the small rock textures on the ground) don't happen on my copy.

Just so you don't waste any time, that's the only Master Sword you're going to get. Ever. You're obviously intended to do this mission well before you did, when the MS would have been an upgrade over even a max-star White Sword, the tier-2 Sword and Shield. Also, there are some perks to using the MS over SnS. First, those two locked skills figure into its overall power, but they won't start counting down right away. Second, the MS actually has sword beams. When Link is at full health, his C2 (YX) and C3 (YYX) shoot sword beams that drastically increase their attack range and area. Unfortunately, the second you take even a quarter heart of damage, they stop working, just like in the official games.

Fun fact about this level; after the cutscene where he draws the Master Sword, Link will be wielding the MS. If you're playing as Link, no matter what weapon you're wielding, the game swaps you to the MS.

TheLoneStar posted:

Can you go to the OoT Temple of Time, draw that Master Sword, and dual-wield them?
A Zelda game where Link doesn't just toss his old sword when he gets the Master Sword and then has the option to dual-wield would be pretty cool. Maybe in BotW2? Dragon Quest XI recently added dual-wielding to the series (and actually does something kinda like that), so who knows?

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Link has 7 weapons: Sword, fire rod, Gauntlets, Spinner, horse, Master sword, and the great Fairy
Zelda has 3 weapons: Rapier, baton, and dominion rod
Lana has 3 weapons: Book, Deku spear, and the summoner's gate
Impa has 2 weapons: Big sword and Naginata
Toon Link has 2 weapons: Sword and Sand rod
Gannondorf has 2 weapons: Swords and Trident
Linkle has 2 weapons: Crossbows and Pegasus boots

Everyone else has 1 weapon only.

The Master sword does get better, but you'll need to first collect everyone's tier one weapons, and then everyone's tier 2-4 and 4+ weapons . After getting all the tier 1s, you can start unlocking the first skill and after getting all the rest, you can unlock the second skill. Once those are unlocked you get a 3rd skill to unlock. Each of these skills increases the damage on the Master sword.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

mastersord posted:

The Master sword does get better, but you'll need to first collect everyone's tier one weapons, and then everyone's tier 2-4 and 4+ weapons . After getting all the tier 1s, you can start unlocking the first skill and after getting all the rest, you can unlock the second skill. Once those are unlocked you get a 3rd skill to unlock. Each of these skills increases the damage on the Master sword.
Which makes this an example of something the Definitive Edition made harder; in the Wii U version all the DLC characters and weapons weren't counted towards the requirements for unlocking those skills. And technically Cia, Volga, and Wizzro were DLC in the Wii U version; they weren't playable on release, and were patched in via a free update shortly afterwards. Link's Spinner was unlocked by the Link Amiibo in the Wii U version, and IIRC didn't count as well.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

You appear to be having some weird graphical issues. The window effect going through walls (and I'm pretty sure the pop-in on some of the small rock textures on the ground) don't happen on my copy.

Just so you don't waste any time, that's the only Master Sword you're going to get. Ever. You're obviously intended to do this mission well before you did, when the MS would have been an upgrade over even a max-star White Sword, the tier-2 Sword and Shield. Also, there are some perks to using the MS over SnS. First, those two locked skills figure into its overall power, but they won't start counting down right away. Second, the MS actually has sword beams. When Link is at full health, his C2 (YX) and C3 (YYX) shoot sword beams that drastically increase their attack range and area. Unfortunately, the second you take even a quarter heart of damage, they stop working, just like in the official games.

Fun fact about this level; after the cutscene where he draws the Master Sword, Link will be wielding the MS. If you're playing as Link, no matter what weapon you're wielding, the game swaps you to the MS.

A Zelda game where Link doesn't just toss his old sword when he gets the Master Sword and then has the option to dual-wield would be pretty cool. Maybe in BotW2? Dragon Quest XI recently added dual-wielding to the series (and actually does something kinda like that), so who knows?
Yeah, I noticed and pointed those out. The victory screens for a bunch of the new characters I showed off had odd issues too.

Well dang, that's kind of a bummer. Of course, the game handed it over to me essentially for free so I guess that's understandable. I guess sword beams are cool, though, so that's a plus.

I did notice that, yeah. It was a nice touch.

Why stop there? Might as well go Roronoa Zoro and find a third Master Sword somehow and go Three Swords Style on Ganondorf's rear end.

mastersord posted:

Link has 7 weapons: Sword, fire rod, Gauntlets, Spinner, horse, Master sword, and the great Fairy
Zelda has 3 weapons: Rapier, baton, and dominion rod
Lana has 3 weapons: Book, Deku spear, and the summoner's gate
Impa has 2 weapons: Big sword and Naginata
Toon Link has 2 weapons: Sword and Sand rod
Gannondorf has 2 weapons: Swords and Trident
Linkle has 2 weapons: Crossbows and Pegasus boots

Everyone else has 1 weapon only.

Kind of bummed how a majority of characters don't have multiple weapons (tier ones not counting) but I guess it'd be hard to come up with something good for all of them, especially the kind of forced ones like Agitha or Tingle. I guess the upside at least is I don't have too many more to unlock.

And yeah, I actually recorded today's video before you posted this and discovered that for myself. How much of a damage increase are we talking here? Is it remotely worth it at all?

Part 16 - A War of Spirit

Kind of mixed with this level, honestly. Finally going to take the fight to Cia in a meaningful way is nice, and I love the many shrines to the various Links strewn about. Though where's Toon Link? I know he's DLC, but so is Young Link but he's there too. I want to think it's because Cia was first mentioned to be interested in Link's soul, but Toon Link didn't inherit the Hero's Spirit/Soul so she isn't interested in him...but I also feel like I'm looking too deep into it. Also poor Twilight Princess Link, no one remembers him as anything but a wolf, apparently. Both Midnas and Cia both see him as just a wolf for some reason. In any case, the whole thing with Link becoming arrogant was just stupid. It makes no sense because the game is admonishing Link for doing exactly what he's been doing the entire time and just going about fights like these game types demand of him. Doesn't help it's a heavy case of "tell don't show" but I guess the plot point is over now so it's not too big of a deal...

The weapons, Link's especially, were great. The Baton is a bit meh. It just doesn't feel strong, not even as much as the Rapier in my opinion. It's like with Wizzro, it's just feeling that "Oomph" that almost every other fighter and weapon in the game has. The visuals are nice and creative, at least. The Gauntlets are fantastic. Nothing more satisfying than just decimating legions of foes with brute strength and a giant spiked ball. That touch with him using a black pillar from Ocarina of Time was great as well. The Spinner was a lot of fun, Link doing all sorts of tricks and even using the device as a gauntlet-type weapon was just great to see. Funny since the Spinner is kind of lame weapon outside of the Stallord fight.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cia absolutely does know about the other incarnations of Link. She's the seer, remember? She's been watching over the balance of the Triforce for a very long time.

Zelda: "I can't win this battle on my own!"

Seconds later: *Zelda defeated ReDead Knight*

"Dragmire" was an invention of Nintendo of America in the Link to the Past manual.

Yuga reminds me of Kefka and Dhoulmagus, so he appears to me more like a jester or clown than especially effeminate.

The Gauntlets are sort of a combination of the Power Bracelet/Titan's Mitt, the Ball and Chain from Twilight Princess, the Digging Mitts from Skyward Sword, and the Magnet Gloves from Oracle of Seasons. The camera on the Warrior Special is prone to getting "stuck" like it did in your video; normally it looks slightly different. But the best thing about the Gauntlets is that in the Tier Three (or was it four?) Gauntlets, the Ball and Chain is actually a Chain Chomp.

The Spinner is definitely much cooler in HW than in TP, no argument there. And the cartoon Link was based off the pre-OoT design, because that's the only one to exist at the time. And speaking as someone who did watch the cartoon as a child, it actually is that bad. Not as bad as Captain N (which would definitely also trigger they didn't get the character right for almost every character represented in the show), but still pretty bad.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
From what I can see, I was wrong. You actually need the first 3 tiers of all the weapons in order to unlock the first skill and either all the tier 4s or tier 4 and 4+s for the second skill. It can be the most powerful weapon in the game with all 3 skills unlocked. Is it worth it for this LP? I don't think so. By that point, all you have left is hunting for skulltulas and heart pieces/containers. I never unlocked it myself on my 3DS copy. Other than higher numbers though, nothing else changes with it.

Commander Keene posted:

..And speaking as someone who did watch the cartoon as a child, it actually is that bad. Not as bad as Captain N (which would definitely also trigger they didn't get the character right for almost every character represented in the show), but still pretty bad.

"Well excuuuuuuuse me!"

But besides that catchphrase...yeah, that was pretty much the only thing that came out of that show that I remember. Let me see if I remember Captain N: Pit (Kid Icarus) had an annoying speech impediment where he ended every sentence with "-ickus". Simon Belmont was turned into a big-talking coward. Megaman's gimmick was adding "mega" to words all the time. Mother Brain was voiced by someone trying to be Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors (my mind is a little hazy on this). It was absolutely ridiculous but it was on par for Saturday morning cartoons at the time

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

Cia absolutely does know about the other incarnations of Link. She's the seer, remember? She's been watching over the balance of the Triforce for a very long time.

Zelda: "I can't win this battle on my own!"

Seconds later: *Zelda defeated ReDead Knight*

"Dragmire" was an invention of Nintendo of America in the Link to the Past manual.

Yuga reminds me of Kefka and Dhoulmagus, so he appears to me more like a jester or clown than especially effeminate.

The Gauntlets are sort of a combination of the Power Bracelet/Titan's Mitt, the Ball and Chain from Twilight Princess, the Digging Mitts from Skyward Sword, and the Magnet Gloves from Oracle of Seasons. The camera on the Warrior Special is prone to getting "stuck" like it did in your video; normally it looks slightly different. But the best thing about the Gauntlets is that in the Tier Three (or was it four?) Gauntlets, the Ball and Chain is actually a Chain Chomp.

The Spinner is definitely much cooler in HW than in TP, no argument there. And the cartoon Link was based off the pre-OoT design, because that's the only one to exist at the time. And speaking as someone who did watch the cartoon as a child, it actually is that bad. Not as bad as Captain N (which would definitely also trigger they didn't get the character right for almost every character represented in the show), but still pretty bad.
I guess that makes sense, yeah. Thinking back to it, I think the one statue of a regular, adult Link is Skyward Sword Link given his pose.

Better than being told about the millionth Hylian Captain to run away.

Dragmire will always be canon to me. Ganondorf Dragmire is just a kickass name.

Can definitely see that in Yuga. For a while when all I knew of him was screenshots, I just assumed he was a chick if only for that hair...

Never played the Oracle games, so kind of interested in these Magnet Gloves. Never heard of those items before. And I actually managed to see what the attack was where it seemed like nothing happened, with Link essentially flipping the world around which was fun to watch. Also I really want to get that Chain Chomp tier, that's a great callback.

That's right, yeah, I dunno what I was even rambling on about there. Lord knows I should know Link stopped being a full-on brunette for the most part after Link's Awakening with how much I've seen Dobson bitch about it. As for the cartoon, I've seen clips from the show over the years and it looks unbearable almost. Only saw a few scarce bits of Captain N and from I've seen, that looks way worse. I have to say I kind of want to see another shot with a Zelda TV show, naturally with Nintendo fully at the helm.

mastersord posted:

From what I can see, I was wrong. You actually need the first 3 tiers of all the weapons in order to unlock the first skill and either all the tier 4s or tier 4 and 4+s for the second skill. It can be the most powerful weapon in the game with all 3 skills unlocked. Is it worth it for this LP? I don't think so. By that point, all you have left is hunting for skulltulas and heart pieces/containers. I never unlocked it myself on my 3DS copy. Other than higher numbers though, nothing else changes with it.

"Well excuuuuuuuse me!"

But besides that catchphrase...yeah, that was pretty much the only thing that came out of that show that I remember. Let me see if I remember Captain N: Pit (Kid Icarus) had an annoying speech impediment where he ended every sentence with "-ickus". Simon Belmont was turned into a big-talking coward. Megaman's gimmick was adding "mega" to words all the time. Mother Brain was voiced by someone trying to be Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors (my mind is a little hazy on this). It was absolutely ridiculous but it was on par for Saturday morning cartoons at the time
Sounds like a major pain, and I guess it makes sense for the Master Sword to be the best weapon in the game. I mean it's the Master Sword, after all. Don't know if I'll end up doing it at all, guess we'll see...

The best thing about the Zelda cartoon was it accidentally predicted the bomb-hop glitch in Ocarina of Time. Also for the Captain N show, don't forget that King Hippo had blue skin for whatever reason. It's kind of weird how I never heard of Captain N or the Zelda cartoon was a kid, yet watched (and even have VHS tapes still) of some of the old Mario cartoons.

Part 17 - Her True Self

Back to Linkle with some drat fine boots. I do love how the game turns items that aren't all too flashy or impressive in canon, like the Pegasus Boots, and makes them monstrously powerful and a treat to watch. Linkle's little "jogging in place" animation was funny, as was how the Cuccos get involved in her attacks. Aside from that, not much to say except some very convenient finding of the weird dark crystal to return Midna to normal for a level. I also finally got to see how all the weapons in the game are so that was nice.

The Great Fairy was uh...well...she was something. I'm about 99% sure she was just a developer putting his fetishes into the game. Her utilizing the magic spells used in the story mode was amusing though. Riding on Epona was somewhat awkward in how it felt, but seeing her just kick enemies right in the face was too entertaining for me to mind much. Besides, riding into battle on a horse like that is just too cool to not like. Lana's Gate of Time was creative in letting her summon a bunch of miniature bosses, and Cuccos, to aid her. Dunno what all the dancing and singing with that weapon in particular was for, but I liked it all the same. Kind of odd that the Dominion Rod is a dark attribute weapon but it's still great to just smash enemies with giant statues and the hammers of statues. While I prefer his twin swords, I liked the gimmick with Ganondorf's Trident with how he can teleport to it and how it's a nice callback to Ganon wielding such a weapon in a few games. Last, but not least, is Toon Link's Sand Rod. Again, the team does a good job of turning a mediocre item into a great weapon...though half of it is the random but welcome addition of summoning the Spirit Train out of nowhere. I get that not all the warriors can have multiple weapon types, but I find it odd and mildly disappointing how a majority of the cast is lacking in that. Also somewhat odd that Toon Link is the only DLC character to get in on it.

Though, I guess when I really think about, I'd really have to reach to give other characters a second weapon to have for themselves, so oh well.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 18 - Shining Beacon

Finally, Cia's part in the story comes to a close. The whole "Lana has a crush on Link" thing I honestly should've seen coming. After all, she and Cia are part of the same person so it makes sense. That, and Lana is a female within a ten mile radius of Link so that doubles down on it. Kind of weird how everyone seemed to forget that Ganondorf hadn't really been properly dealt with, the game even giving a fake happy ending as if the player would forget. Didn't expect Cia to have her own stages, though, I'm looking forward to seeing what those are like. Linkle's stuff is more humorous than the usual levels, so maybe Cia will have a tone shift as well...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TheLoneStar posted:

Part 17 - Her True Self

Back to Linkle with some drat fine boots. I do love how the game turns items that aren't all too flashy or impressive in canon, like the Pegasus Boots, and makes them monstrously powerful and a treat to watch. Linkle's little "jogging in place" animation was funny, as was how the Cuccos get involved in her attacks. Aside from that, not much to say except some very convenient finding of the weird dark crystal to return Midna to normal for a level. I also finally got to see how all the weapons in the game are so that was nice.

The Great Fairy was uh...well...she was something. I'm about 99% sure she was just a developer putting his fetishes into the game. Her utilizing the magic spells used in the story mode was amusing though. Riding on Epona was somewhat awkward in how it felt, but seeing her just kick enemies right in the face was too entertaining for me to mind much. Besides, riding into battle on a horse like that is just too cool to not like. Lana's Gate of Time was creative in letting her summon a bunch of miniature bosses, and Cuccos, to aid her. Dunno what all the dancing and singing with that weapon in particular was for, but I liked it all the same. Kind of odd that the Dominion Rod is a dark attribute weapon but it's still great to just smash enemies with giant statues and the hammers of statues. While I prefer his twin swords, I liked the gimmick with Ganondorf's Trident with how he can teleport to it and how it's a nice callback to Ganon wielding such a weapon in a few games. Last, but not least, is Toon Link's Sand Rod. Again, the team does a good job of turning a mediocre item into a great weapon...though half of it is the random but welcome addition of summoning the Spirit Train out of nowhere. I get that not all the warriors can have multiple weapon types, but I find it odd and mildly disappointing how a majority of the cast is lacking in that. Also somewhat odd that Toon Link is the only DLC character to get in on it.

Though, I guess when I really think about, I'd really have to reach to give other characters a second weapon to have for themselves, so oh well.
The division between 4- and 5-combo weapons stems from the differences between the old Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors games. In DW, most if not all characters had the latter, while SW characters have the former, but pressing Strong Attack (X on the Nintendo controller, but Triangle on Sony controllers) multiple times at the end of the combo would extend it. So the characters are divided between "Dynasty Warriors-style" and "Samurai Warriors-style".

Fun fact; when HW originally launched on Wii U, there was a fun little glitch in the game. You could trick the game into letting you use weapons from one character on another character. It only worked on characters that had multiple weapons (so Link, Impa, Zelda, and Lana in the Wii U release). People enjoyed having Link running around with the Summoning Gate, doing the dances. And instead of humming the Zelda theme when summoning monsters, Link makes a horrifying "AughAghAghAgh" scream, which sounds like his "battlecry" yell interrupting itself several times. It's also the only way for any character besides Link to ever wield the Master Sword in Zelda history, AFAIK. It was patched long before even the first round of DLC (much to the dismay of the general public) and I never personally got it to work, but there are videos of it online (linked video is spoiler-free at this point). Theoretically, if you deleted the update data for a Wii U copy of HW and blocked the console from going online, you could probably get it to work with the DLC weapons as well, which might open up Ganondorf and Toon Link to the glitch, but you'd be forgoing Cia, Volga, and Wizzro on that console, because they were added to the Wii U version in an update. I think if you have a softmodded Wii U there might be a romhack for the game that adds the glitch back in and makes it universal?

IIRC because of her absolutely massive... hitbox and her difficulty hitting officer weak point gauges, the Great Fairy is generally considered the worst moveset in the game. I see it more as a joke weapon than somebody's fetish that snuck into the game (although both are certainly possible), what with all the references in there.

I think the Dominion Rod is Dark because Zelda's Rapier is Light, she already had a Lightning-element weapon in the Baton, and neither Water nor Fire fit for it. It was added to the Wii U version post-release as a DLC weapon in the Twilight Princess pack that also included Twili Midna, as well as the Postman costume for Link. The website also mentions a costume for Zelda, but I don't remember what it was; the Twilight Princess designs for Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf were pre-order bonuses for buying the game at Best Buy. IIRC, Gamestop had the OoT designs, and Amazon got the Skyward Sword designs (and no, no Demise costume for Ganondorf; that one just had costumes for Link and Zelda because gently caress you Amazon, I guess).

TheLoneStar posted:

Part 18 - Shining Beacon

Finally, Cia's part in the story comes to a close. The whole "Lana has a crush on Link" thing I honestly should've seen coming. After all, she and Cia are part of the same person so it makes sense. That, and Lana is a female within a ten mile radius of Link so that doubles down on it. Kind of weird how everyone seemed to forget that Ganondorf hadn't really been properly dealt with, the game even giving a fake happy ending as if the player would forget. Didn't expect Cia to have her own stages, though, I'm looking forward to seeing what those are like. Linkle's stuff is more humorous than the usual levels, so maybe Cia will have a tone shift as well...
So, I think in Shining Beacon, Lana would have gone looking for the final sanctum keep - if you hadn't assigned her to stay at the East Sanctum with Zelda. Whoops. I think you could have gone there with any playable character and uncovered the enemies, though, so if you wanted to keep playing Link you could have.

And if you hadn't been 100 levels overleveled for this stage, you probably would have discovered that Zelda was quite capable of talking Volga down from his super-powered state, at which point he would have reverted to normal Volga and become much less threatening.

I've definitely heard of Hyrule Warriors jokingly referred to as "Link's harem", because Zelda is traditionally associated with Link, Ruto is romantically interested in Link in OoT, and Lana/Cia's primary motivation is Link.

I've been biting my tongue about Ganondorf's story ever since you declared you'd show him off "because there's no chance of him being playable in the plot". I thought about trying to warn you away from it, but decided that I couldn't feasibly have done it without spoiling that portion of the plot - which was a no-no.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

On the note of the weapon swap stuff, if you give Zelda the summoning gate to Zelda she whistles the lullaby during the dances.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

The website also mentions a costume for Zelda, but I don't remember what it was;

The costume for Zelda in the Twilight Princess pack was Ilia's Clothes, which happens to be one of my favorites.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

The division between 4- and 5-combo weapons stems from the differences between the old Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors games. In DW, most if not all characters had the latter, while SW characters have the former, but pressing Strong Attack (X on the Nintendo controller, but Triangle on Sony controllers) multiple times at the end of the combo would extend it. So the characters are divided between "Dynasty Warriors-style" and "Samurai Warriors-style".

Fun fact; when HW originally launched on Wii U, there was a fun little glitch in the game. You could trick the game into letting you use weapons from one character on another character. It only worked on characters that had multiple weapons (so Link, Impa, Zelda, and Lana in the Wii U release). People enjoyed having Link running around with the Summoning Gate, doing the dances. And instead of humming the Zelda theme when summoning monsters, Link makes a horrifying "AughAghAghAgh" scream, which sounds like his "battlecry" yell interrupting itself several times. It's also the only way for any character besides Link to ever wield the Master Sword in Zelda history, AFAIK. It was patched long before even the first round of DLC (much to the dismay of the general public) and I never personally got it to work, but there are videos of it online (linked video is spoiler-free at this point). Theoretically, if you deleted the update data for a Wii U copy of HW and blocked the console from going online, you could probably get it to work with the DLC weapons as well, which might open up Ganondorf and Toon Link to the glitch, but you'd be forgoing Cia, Volga, and Wizzro on that console, because they were added to the Wii U version in an update. I think if you have a softmodded Wii U there might be a romhack for the game that adds the glitch back in and makes it universal?

IIRC because of her absolutely massive... hitbox and her difficulty hitting officer weak point gauges, the Great Fairy is generally considered the worst moveset in the game. I see it more as a joke weapon than somebody's fetish that snuck into the game (although both are certainly possible), what with all the references in there.

I think the Dominion Rod is Dark because Zelda's Rapier is Light, she already had a Lightning-element weapon in the Baton, and neither Water nor Fire fit for it. It was added to the Wii U version post-release as a DLC weapon in the Twilight Princess pack that also included Twili Midna, as well as the Postman costume for Link. The website also mentions a costume for Zelda, but I don't remember what it was; the Twilight Princess designs for Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf were pre-order bonuses for buying the game at Best Buy. IIRC, Gamestop had the OoT designs, and Amazon got the Skyward Sword designs (and no, no Demise costume for Ganondorf; that one just had costumes for Link and Zelda because gently caress you Amazon, I guess).

So, I think in Shining Beacon, Lana would have gone looking for the final sanctum keep - if you hadn't assigned her to stay at the East Sanctum with Zelda. Whoops. I think you could have gone there with any playable character and uncovered the enemies, though, so if you wanted to keep playing Link you could have.

And if you hadn't been 100 levels overleveled for this stage, you probably would have discovered that Zelda was quite capable of talking Volga down from his super-powered state, at which point he would have reverted to normal Volga and become much less threatening.

I've definitely heard of Hyrule Warriors jokingly referred to as "Link's harem", because Zelda is traditionally associated with Link, Ruto is romantically interested in Link in OoT, and Lana/Cia's primary motivation is Link.

I've been biting my tongue about Ganondorf's story ever since you declared you'd show him off "because there's no chance of him being playable in the plot". I thought about trying to warn you away from it, but decided that I couldn't feasibly have done it without spoiling that portion of the plot - which was a no-no.
I'm not sure why that division needs to really happen here, but I guess that makes sense, sure.

Looked up a video of it and I'm really shocked just how well it all works out. Yeah, some audio clips don't work at all, and I saw Zelda shrink a few times, but most of the animations are flawless. I'm not knowledgeable in this sort of thing, so I don't know how that's even possible. I'm not sure if rebuying the game for the Wii U and jumping through those hoops is worth doing it myself, personally. I'll be satisfied just seeing videos of it online instead.

That makes sense, her being the worst. Her moveset seemed fine, at least, though I guess the level I played doesn't exactly give the best showing of how good these characters or weapons are. Also raises the question on who the bigger joke is, the Great Fairy or Tingle? And you won't be unable to convince me that at least one fetish wasn't implemented in there...

Can't help but find it odd that a almost holy-ish weapon is dark. I mean Link has three light weapons, so it wouldn't be too terribly unusual. I really hate it when different places to buy a game gives you different cosmetic poo poo like that. I know it's a small thing, but it's just kind of bothersome. Does the Definitive Addition include ALL the costumes you mentioned? Gotta see what the gently caress Postman Link looks like. I know I harp on Demise and his exclusion a lot (though technically The Imprisoned and Ganondorf are both him, but you get the idea) it's still just an odd exclusion to me. Though I guess since Ganondorf has two giant swords, having a Ganondorf-ish character with ONE giant sword would be kind of meh.

I just assumed that Lana's mission of needing to find the last Sanctum would've overridden my last order to her. I guess it all worked out either way, so oh well.

Huh. Well didn't think to even try and let that happen. Much more satisfying to just brute force my way through and humiliate Volga as Link just one more time. Assuming Volga doesn't go to work for Ganondorf, that is. Don't see why he would...

Let's be honest, is any Zelda game not Link's harem? I guess Majora's Mask but even then he gets some light flirting done to him. Don't forget Midna too, who probably had some sort of romantic feelings towards her own Link.

You're right, totally forgot I even said that until you brought it up. I'm still surprised I'm going to be playing as him, though. A pretty strange, but welcome, twist I suppose. I appreciate your tongue biting though, even if it was for a minor part of the story.

Nidoking posted:

The costume for Zelda in the Twilight Princess pack was Ilia's Clothes, which happens to be one of my favorites.
Kind of odd it isn't just...Twilight Princess Zelda. I guess that's at least thinking outside the box.

Part 19 - The Dragon of the Caves

Man, good help is just hard to find, apparently. Wizzro couldn't go five minutes before betraying Cia, could he? I'm still kind of wondering where the game is going with this side story. Like we really didn't need to see how Cia recruited Volga or Wizzro into her fold, not deserving of an entire level that is. The next level is apparently just the invasion of Hyrule Castle from the bad guy point of view, which also seems pointless. Linkle's Tale at least is just a funny little side bit with a thematically half-joke character. I'm hoping this entire substory isn't literally just the entire game again except I play as the bad guys, unless Cia somehow gets more depth out of it. I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nidoking posted:

Right, I remember now. I haven't done much of the Twilight map on my Definitive copy, which is where I assume the costume is, so I only have it unlocked on Wii U, due to DLC.

TheLoneStar posted:

I'm not sure why that division needs to really happen here, but I guess that makes sense, sure.
Eh, it makes the characters a bit more different and interesting, IMO.

TheLoneStar posted:

Looked up a video of it and I'm really shocked just how well it all works out. Yeah, some audio clips don't work at all, and I saw Zelda shrink a few times, but most of the animations are flawless. I'm not knowledgeable in this sort of thing, so I don't know how that's even possible. I'm not sure if rebuying the game for the Wii U and jumping through those hoops is worth doing it myself, personally. I'll be satisfied just seeing videos of it online instead.
I'm assuming that what's actually happening is a model swap; as far as the game knows, you're playing the character whose weapon is active, it's just that you've tricked the game into placing another character's model over the actual character's skeleton. Since the animations are all rigged for the skeleton you're actually using, there's no file conflicts, and since the characters are all generally the same size and shape, there aren't many glaring errors when the animations play.

And not wanting to buy the game again (with less content than the one you already own) just to exploit a silly glitch with no mechanical benefit makes sense to me. I already own the game on Wii U, so I might look into the romhack at some point.

TheLoneStar posted:

Can't help but find it odd that a almost holy-ish weapon is dark. I mean Link has three light weapons, so it wouldn't be too terribly unusual. I really hate it when different places to buy a game gives you different cosmetic poo poo like that. I know it's a small thing, but it's just kind of bothersome. Does the Definitive Addition include ALL the costumes you mentioned? Gotta see what the gently caress Postman Link looks like. I know I harp on Demise and his exclusion a lot (though technically The Imprisoned and Ganondorf are both him, but you get the idea) it's still just an odd exclusion to me. Though I guess since Ganondorf has two giant swords, having a Ganondorf-ish character with ONE giant sword would be kind of meh.
The pre-order DLC ended up being sold for cheap after a while, it's just that people who pre-ordered from those locations got the costumes in their set early and for free. IIRC, it was sold in separate packs, each for $1; one each for the focus games (which had the game's costumes for Link and Zelda), and one for Ganondorf, which had his OoT, TP, and WW designs as costumes. Personally, cosmetic DLC being console- or purchase location-locked doesn't bother me much. I'm not crying that my Steam copy of Skyrim doesn't have Link's Breath of the Wild costume, for example (and not because I could probably find a mod that does the same thing either). If any game I'd cared about had more substantial mechanical or plot DLC locked like that, I'd probably be more upset, though. It did bother me, for example, that both Dragon Quest XI and Persona 5 got definitive editions with new features that could easily been $20-$30 DLC for the other versions as well (or in P5 Royal's case, just DLC).

Definitive should have everything from both previous versions of the game built in, no DLC or pre-ordering required. I have not personally unlocked everything, so I can't state from personal experience that it's the case, but from what I know, everything's here. You already have the SS costume for Link, IIRC, so those DLC packs are verifiably in the game. Presumably, the Postman costume would be in one of the TP maps, because that's the DLC pack it came in for the Wii U version. Interestingly, I don't think Definitive spawns as many enemies as the Wii U version; I find it much easier to get higher killcounts with Warrior Specials and Focus Spirit in the Wii U version. I had a screenshot back on Miiverse (R.I.P.) with Ganondorf having like 700 or 800 KOs from one Magic gauge, and I find it difficult to get more than 400 in Definitive without using Young Link, who has a much easier time refilling his Magic gauge. I think Fairy Magic has an advantage over Warrior Specials there, because it can kill enemies the game has technically spawned, but are inactive, not being rendered, and can't be harmed otherwise.

TheLoneStar posted:

Let's be honest, is any Zelda game not Link's harem? I guess Majora's Mask but even then he gets some light flirting done to him. Don't forget Midna too, who probably had some sort of romantic feelings towards her own Link.
I specifically omitted Midna, opting to include only those women who have had an overtly romantic attraction to Link over the course of the series. IIRC, Zelda 2 ends with a kiss between Zelda and Link, so even though subsequent games are much less overt about it, she counts. And also part of Cia's motivation in this game is jealousy of Zelda.

TheLoneStar posted:

Kind of odd it isn't just...Twilight Princess Zelda. I guess that's at least thinking outside the box.
Because TP Zelda was already in, as a pre-order bonus, and IIRC they had already announced their intent to sell the pre-order costumes as a separate set of DLC by that time.

TheLoneStar posted:

Part 19 - The Dragon of the Caves

Man, good help is just hard to find, apparently. Wizzro couldn't go five minutes before betraying Cia, could he? I'm still kind of wondering where the game is going with this side story. Like we really didn't need to see how Cia recruited Volga or Wizzro into her fold, not deserving of an entire level that is. The next level is apparently just the invasion of Hyrule Castle from the bad guy point of view, which also seems pointless. Linkle's Tale at least is just a funny little side bit with a thematically half-joke character. I'm hoping this entire substory isn't literally just the entire game again except I play as the bad guys, unless Cia somehow gets more depth out of it. I guess I'll just have to wait and see...
I don't think the items (bombs, bow, etc) were ever intended for use in combat outside their usefulness in exposing weak point gauges. The only one I really make an effort to use in combat is the Hookshot when I have a power-up for it, because it's easily the best one of the bunch aesthetically.

Both ReDead Knights and Gibdos exist in this game. They're very similar, aside from maybe stats, but they both exist. In fact, each kind of generic officer has two varieties; there are both Lizalfos and Dinalfos, Darknuts and Stalmasters, Aeralfos and Fiery Aeralfos, etc. Even the Hylian Captains have a second variety, which IIRC is mostly used for when you have to fight the traitors.

In Fire Emblem Warriors keeps slowly regenerate health while no enemies are inside them, but I don't think that Hyrule Warriors does that, even in Definitive.

Wizzro is basically a combination Poe/Wizzrobe.

One thing I've noticed about fighting King Dodongo is that his "breath weapon" seems to be triggered by standing a certain distance from him. If you can get him to use Flamethrower, blocking the attack should put you at exactly the right distance to trigger Fire Blast right afterwards.

Cia's Tale is roughly the same length as Linkle's, IIRC, so you're not going to be "playing the entire game again but from the enemy's POV".

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Now that I'm caught up, from a few videos ago:

The Summoning Gate has a weird random element to it, in that when you use the Strong Attack, it randomly chooses one of the four bosses to summon. You then have a few seconds to start a combo that will summon that specific boss, and if you make it in time, the boss will use a different attack animation. I don't know whether all of them are strictly better than their un-boosted counterparts, but the boosted C5 (Argorok) is possibly one of the best moves in the game. The usual Gate strategy is to use the Strong Attack repeatedly until you get Argorok, then use its boosted attack, and repeat until mission complete. The Strong Attack version of Manhandla is also really good, since it creates an area of poison that slows down any enemy that steps in it, but the boosted version of its attack leaves something to be desired. For reference, the boosts are: C2 Dodongo, C3 Manhandla, C4 Gohma, C5 Argorok.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

I'm assuming that what's actually happening is a model swap; as far as the game knows, you're playing the character whose weapon is active, it's just that you've tricked the game into placing another character's model over the actual character's skeleton. Since the animations are all rigged for the skeleton you're actually using, there's no file conflicts, and since the characters are all generally the same size and shape, there aren't many glaring errors when the animations play.

The pre-order DLC ended up being sold for cheap after a while, it's just that people who pre-ordered from those locations got the costumes in their set early and for free. IIRC, it was sold in separate packs, each for $1; one each for the focus games (which had the game's costumes for Link and Zelda), and one for Ganondorf, which had his OoT, TP, and WW designs as costumes. Personally, cosmetic DLC being console- or purchase location-locked doesn't bother me much. I'm not crying that my Steam copy of Skyrim doesn't have Link's Breath of the Wild costume, for example (and not because I could probably find a mod that does the same thing either). If any game I'd cared about had more substantial mechanical or plot DLC locked like that, I'd probably be more upset, though. It did bother me, for example, that both Dragon Quest XI and Persona 5 got definitive editions with new features that could easily been $20-$30 DLC for the other versions as well (or in P5 Royal's case, just DLC).

Definitive should have everything from both previous versions of the game built in, no DLC or pre-ordering required. I have not personally unlocked everything, so I can't state from personal experience that it's the case, but from what I know, everything's here. You already have the SS costume for Link, IIRC, so those DLC packs are verifiably in the game. Presumably, the Postman costume would be in one of the TP maps, because that's the DLC pack it came in for the Wii U version. Interestingly, I don't think Definitive spawns as many enemies as the Wii U version; I find it much easier to get higher killcounts with Warrior Specials and Focus Spirit in the Wii U version. I had a screenshot back on Miiverse (R.I.P.) with Ganondorf having like 700 or 800 KOs from one Magic gauge, and I find it difficult to get more than 400 in Definitive without using Young Link, who has a much easier time refilling his Magic gauge. I think Fairy Magic has an advantage over Warrior Specials there, because it can kill enemies the game has technically spawned, but are inactive, not being rendered, and can't be harmed otherwise.

I specifically omitted Midna, opting to include only those women who have had an overtly romantic attraction to Link over the course of the series. IIRC, Zelda 2 ends with a kiss between Zelda and Link, so even though subsequent games are much less overt about it, she counts. And also part of Cia's motivation in this game is jealousy of Zelda.

I don't think the items (bombs, bow, etc) were ever intended for use in combat outside their usefulness in exposing weak point gauges. The only one I really make an effort to use in combat is the Hookshot when I have a power-up for it, because it's easily the best one of the bunch aesthetically.

In Fire Emblem Warriors keeps slowly regenerate health while no enemies are inside them, but I don't think that Hyrule Warriors does that, even in Definitive.

Wizzro is basically a combination Poe/Wizzrobe.

One thing I've noticed about fighting King Dodongo is that his "breath weapon" seems to be triggered by standing a certain distance from him. If you can get him to use Flamethrower, blocking the attack should put you at exactly the right distance to trigger Fire Blast right afterwards.

Cia's Tale is roughly the same length as Linkle's, IIRC, so you're not going to be "playing the entire game again but from the enemy's POV".
I guess that kind of makes sense. I'm just not used to seeing that sort of stuff happen so near-flawlessly. I would expect more stuff like their limbs contorting or parts of their model stretching out to ridiculous lengths or whatever.

It feels odd when even little stuff like that is time-exclusive or even barred by who you pre-order the game from. I mean it's a cosmetic thing so it's not a major deal, I just find it kind of needless. Or at least give the option to buy all that stuff in the future. I know Pirate Warriors 3 has some costumes that, as far as I know, if you missed the pre-order deadline, you'll never get them. It's even odd from a business standpoint because obviously a lot of people would buy those kinds of DLC packs and it'd make the company some decent cash.

I need to see Postman Link. That sounds so amazingly stupid and ridiculous. I don't think I'll unlock all the costumes and weapon tiers and stuff, for the playthrough or otherwise. I'll at least promise to try and get as many as I can before the final episode and show off as many as possible. And there have definitely been times where I wish more enemies would spawn on the map. Especially in "Kill X00 enemies to win!" levels where it takes forever because how sparsely the enemies come about.

Come now, Midna totally had the hots for Link. You can deny it all you want, but you know it to be true. It seems the harem poo poo is coming back to actual canon territory with Breath of the Wild. Link has at least three girls that undeniably have some form of romantic feelings for him. I find that kind of stuff oddly amusing, so I'm all for it.

It's odd that if the items aren't meant to be used often that a bunch of badge slots are wasted on making the item upgrades last longer. I just never bother with those, really.

Yeah, as far as I can tell, once a friendly keep loses health, it never goes back up. I wish there was at least some action that could be done to raise it again. Short of letting it fall and then re-capturing it, of course. Doubly so since that isn't an option for the Allied Keeps.

I gotta say, as boring as I find Wizzro to play as, I love that design of his. The eye/mouth thing is delightfully unnerving. Now if only he was a Poe mixed with a Wind Waker Wizzrobe. Big old toucan Poe flying around would be great.

I think someone else ITT mentioned the distance tactic for King Dodongo, but if it's a thing I haven't been able to get the hang of it yet. It seems practically random.

Okay, good. I would've been kind of bummed if that's all Cia's Tale had to offer.

Nidoking posted:

Now that I'm caught up, from a few videos ago:

The Summoning Gate has a weird random element to it, in that when you use the Strong Attack, it randomly chooses one of the four bosses to summon. You then have a few seconds to start a combo that will summon that specific boss, and if you make it in time, the boss will use a different attack animation. I don't know whether all of them are strictly better than their un-boosted counterparts, but the boosted C5 (Argorok) is possibly one of the best moves in the game. The usual Gate strategy is to use the Strong Attack repeatedly until you get Argorok, then use its boosted attack, and repeat until mission complete. The Strong Attack version of Manhandla is also really good, since it creates an area of poison that slows down any enemy that steps in it, but the boosted version of its attack leaves something to be desired. For reference, the boosts are: C2 Dodongo, C3 Manhandla, C4 Gohma, C5 Argorok.
I think I might have missed out on that boosted thing. Or if I did it, I don't think I noticed. I'll keep the Argorok strategy and the other information in mind, thanks.

Part 20 - The Invasion Begins

Man playing as Volga is great. I know I played as him before, but I just felt like saying it anyway. This almost feels like an alternate take on the invasion battle from the very first stage. Link not being involved and a lack of King Dodongo is especially noticeable. Though I guess having a monster like that on your side would make things too easy. Had fun either way, even if I kept forgetting that the Bokoblins and other monsters were on my side. Tried out some Challenge Mode stuff and it seems mostly pointless. The Ganon's Fury part was a hoot though. Even if it was repetitive, just smashing larger hordes of enemies as a giant pig demon was entertaining as poo poo. I also like the design of this game's Ganon. The giant golden gauntlets he keeps from his Gerudo form I find especially appealing for some reason.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Volga is probably my second favorite playable character in this game (first is Young Link).

You're having a lot of strange graphical issues. You might want to look into that, because IME when the graphics card on a machine starts freaking out it's a precursor to Bad Things Happening. Is this the only game this is happening to?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

Volga is probably my second favorite playable character in this game (first is Young Link).

You're having a lot of strange graphical issues. You might want to look into that, because IME when the graphics card on a machine starts freaking out it's a precursor to Bad Things Happening. Is this the only game this is happening to?
Gonna agree with you on Young Link. I may play as Link the most because he's the most powerful, but Young Link is where I have the most fun. Skull Kid comes at a close second.

I've noticed. I've also noted that aside from the weird window bit in the level where I get the Master Sword, it's exclusive to cutscenes. I haven't really noticed it in my other games, no.

Part 21 - The Usurper King

Some more recruiting going on. Poor Cia, no one will work with her unless she beats them into submission or outright controls their minds. Truly a sad existence. I gotta say I actually do like the idea of having missions where I just beat other villains into begrudgingly accepting to work together. Can't wait to see how Ghirahim reacts to it, it's sure to be entertaining. Makes me wonder what will go on after the next level. No more villains for Cia to recruit, so I hope it doesn't go back to the story but from Cia's point of view. I still like Linkle's Tale more because it's overall pretty amusing and there's an end goal that's concrete...even if Linkle is on a pointless fool's errand. I'm guessing she's going to think she helped save the day somehow or something goofy like that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TheLoneStar posted:

Gonna agree with you on Young Link. I may play as Link the most because he's the most powerful, but Young Link is where I have the most fun. Skull Kid comes at a close second.

I've noticed. I've also noted that aside from the weird window bit in the level where I get the Master Sword, it's exclusive to cutscenes. I haven't really noticed it in my other games, no.

Part 21 - The Usurper King

Some more recruiting going on. Poor Cia, no one will work with her unless she beats them into submission or outright controls their minds. Truly a sad existence. I gotta say I actually do like the idea of having missions where I just beat other villains into begrudgingly accepting to work together. Can't wait to see how Ghirahim reacts to it, it's sure to be entertaining. Makes me wonder what will go on after the next level. No more villains for Cia to recruit, so I hope it doesn't go back to the story but from Cia's point of view. I still like Linkle's Tale more because it's overall pretty amusing and there's an end goal that's concrete...even if Linkle is on a pointless fool's errand. I'm guessing she's going to think she helped save the day somehow or something goofy like that.
Are you playing on cartridge, or on a digital game? If it's a cartridge, it might not be seated correctly, so if you haven't removed the cartridge since you started the LP, you might want to try removing and re-inserting it. If you're playing a digital version, you could try deleting and re-downloading the game (which won't affect your save file) to see if something got corrupted in the download.

And yes, giant bosses will absolutely destroy their own forces. You've probably missed it happening in previous videos. I don't know how much friendly fire is a thing, but they'll toss aside mooks like grains of sand to get at you.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

And yes, giant bosses will absolutely destroy their own forces. You've probably missed it happening in previous videos. I don't know how much friendly fire is a thing, but they'll toss aside mooks like grains of sand to get at you.

As far as I've ever been able to tell, bosses can toss their allies around but don't do any damage in the process. Friendly fire only happens when you use the right attack item at the right time. On that note, one of the funniest things to me is hitting a Gibdo/Redead Knight with an arrow next to a giant boss and freezing them. It's pretty useless, but I love watching the giant boss just stop mid-attack.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

Are you playing on cartridge, or on a digital game? If it's a cartridge, it might not be seated correctly, so if you haven't removed the cartridge since you started the LP, you might want to try removing and re-inserting it. If you're playing a digital version, you could try deleting and re-downloading the game (which won't affect your save file) to see if something got corrupted in the download.

I'm playing digital. I tried what you said, but the glitches persist. Still, so far they're benign in nature so I'm not too terribly worried.

I guess I really just never noticed it before. It's funny to see now that I'm looking out for it.

Part 22 - The Demon Lord

Some more of the same, really. Cia beats a villain into submitting to her while also taking on a good guy. Pretty harsh on Cia to just turn on Skyloft for literally no reason. I guess she is evil, after all. I find myself once again wondering where the Links of these various eras are. Young Link is at least accounted for. I know it doesn't really matter, it's just odd it never comes up since Cia is obsessed with apparently all incarnations of the hero. I also find it kind of funny how much I keep having to kick The Imprisoned's rear end during the main story considering its true identity. That includes it having a bunch of miniature versions of itself running around in Linkle's Tale. Can't say I was ever to take The Imprisoned seriously to begin with due to that wonky design...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I was mostly worried that the glitches were happening in other games as well, because that could mean your Switch's GPU was having problems. If it's only happening to HW and it's not bothering you, it's probably safe to leave it alone.