Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Something to watch for is that many characters have special mechanics tied to their strong attacks. Zelda, for example, has three light charges that fill when she uses a full normal attack combo (as long as you don't dodge-cancel before she finishes the flourish) or when you use her strong attack, which instantly refills them all. The main use for these charges is to power up her combo attacks. It's worth trying them both with and without light charges. Zant's combo attacks can all be extended by tapping the strong attack button, but that fills up his dark meter, and if it overfills, he'll get dizzy. You can spend the dark energy with his strong attack to prevent that. The Warrior Combos screen has at least brief explanations of these mechanics, so it's worth checking out even if you'd rather just figure out the moves yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Sheik's strong attack is another one that isn't entirely clear at first, although you managed to get some use out of it. Each of Sheik's combo attacks uses a different element (but in terms of calculating damage, they're all considered Thunder element), and when you use the combo for a certain element, you get the corresponding music note in the status bar. The strong attack will then provide different effects based on the last combo attack used, provided that you can play the entire song without being interrupted. The non-elemental strong attack is a pathetic thing you should probably never use, but most of the elemental ones have situational uses that you should take advantage of.

Speaking of elemental damage, as I understand it, every enemy in the game takes more damage when you attack them with a specific element. Lizalfos, for example, take more damage from Water weapons, which I believe is the reason Water is the recommended element for that mission. Each element also has a status effect that it can cause, like the bubbles of water that appear around enemies' heads when you hit them with some of Impa's combos and cause more damage (and stun) over time. There should be a tutorial that explains them, but in short, Fire attacks launch enemies and cause them to explode when they land, Thunder attacks launch enemies and then hit them with more lightning if you can hit them while they're still in the air, Shadow attacks pile on more damage as you attack the same enemy repeatedly, and Light attacks increase their power the more enemies you can attack while they're still in effect (for example, Link's sword spin). The status effects and elemental weaknesses are two completely different things, though, and I consider the recommended elements mainly for the effect of the defense badges that raise your defense based on the recommended element for a mission.

Wa11y posted:

Seriously, my Link was at level 150, and I think the next highest was 60 or so. Dudes a beast.

No joke, Zelda was my highest-leveled character for a long time in the Wii U version because I couldn't figure out how to complete an objective that required her, no matter how many times I tried. Fortunately, the later versions of the game allow you to use stronger or more useful characters for many of those objectives as well as significantly relaxing many of the requirements.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Badges don't carry over between characters - you have to buy separate badges for every character to get the same bonuses. However, the badges other than unlocking new weapon combos apply no matter which weapon that character is using. There are certain badges that I always prioritize, but eventually, you'll get all the ones that really matter.

A thing to watch for now that you have a couple of attack items - watch for icons of them to appear above the enemies' heads. I forget whether the game actually tutorializes you on this at some point, but if you can hit an enemy with the correct attack item when they're charging their main attack, it'll misfire. The results are always favorable. The icons weren't in the Wii U version, but the attacks still work, and once I learned about it, I actually started using some of those items when not fighting bosses.

Once you get used to Gibdos/Redeads, you can dodge their freezing attacks with perfect timing. You can also still activate a Special attack or Focus Spirit while frozen to escape. I believe the freezing won't affect you when Focus Spirit is active, but there's a sneaky way to become completely immune to it when using a particular character that I'll let you work out for yourself (or ask directly).

As for Lana's appearance, I think most of the Zelda games starting with Link to the Past had at least one character who really didn't seem to fit the series aesthetic, but fit in fairly well in their own game and often ended up becoming series staples. Did you honestly pick up Majora's Mask for the first time and think "Wow, this Tingle character is so classically what the Zelda series is all about"? She doesn't seem so out of place to me in this specific game aside from not being an established character from the series.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

mastersord posted:

-Bombs arc when thrown and will miss a Dinolfos when you are too close to it. I wouldn't bother bombing them in their fire arc attack animation because they will expose their WP gauge right after it anyway.

That's a tough call, because using the attack item still gives the friendly fire effect. If you're not already in position, it's a good fallback plan, but I always go for the item attack if I can.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

AFAIK, Volga is not invincible post-powerup; you could skip the Great Fairy bit if you were patient and skilled enough, and/or ridiculously overleveled.

You absolutely cannot skip the Great Fairy bit. The level won't end until you do it. I think he'll just keep reviving every time you get him close to defeat.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Ghirahim's gimmick is that pressing Strong Attack causes him to "lock on" to a nearby enemy, indicated by a red line traced between him and the enemy. IIRC, this causes some of his attacks (mostly the ones where he's throwing knives) to home in on that enemy. I believe he'll only lock on to officers or giant monsters, basically any enemy you can "Z-Target".

As I understand it, while he's targeting, he does extra damage to that enemy with all attacks. His C2 and C4 combos (the knock-up juggle and the circle of swords from the ground) will cause a giant sword to spear the targeted enemy, no matter where they are in relation to Ghirahim. The other combos produce some sort of visual effect that might be a stun, but it's hard to tell. You can also throw knives at the targeted enemy by pressing Strong Attack again while the targeting is active, but I've never found that to be very useful.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

mastersord posted:

One of Girahim's combos is great for clearing keeps because of it's huge AoE. I can't remember it off hand, but it creates a diamond floor which lifts everyone up and slams them all down.

That's the C5, and I use it for the same purpose. It's not as good with the targeting because it's difficult to target and then do the combo before the targeting breaks. Also, Ghirahim's combo breaks lock-on, so it's a pain when fighting captains. I stick with the targeting and C2 for that.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

I think all the reinforcements in that "kill 300 dudes" mission are time-locked; they appear at specific times, rather than having triggers you can manipulate. But I'm not certain, because I usually blaze through those too fast for any thorough testing.

New waves of enemies appear when you defeat 100 enemies. The waves come with either a captain who will buff the enemies after a certain amount of time or a giant boss - I think giant bosses appear at 100, 400, and 700, assuming you need that many KOs to win the mission.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

The website also mentions a costume for Zelda, but I don't remember what it was;

The costume for Zelda in the Twilight Princess pack was Ilia's Clothes, which happens to be one of my favorites.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Now that I'm caught up, from a few videos ago:

The Summoning Gate has a weird random element to it, in that when you use the Strong Attack, it randomly chooses one of the four bosses to summon. You then have a few seconds to start a combo that will summon that specific boss, and if you make it in time, the boss will use a different attack animation. I don't know whether all of them are strictly better than their un-boosted counterparts, but the boosted C5 (Argorok) is possibly one of the best moves in the game. The usual Gate strategy is to use the Strong Attack repeatedly until you get Argorok, then use its boosted attack, and repeat until mission complete. The Strong Attack version of Manhandla is also really good, since it creates an area of poison that slows down any enemy that steps in it, but the boosted version of its attack leaves something to be desired. For reference, the boosts are: C2 Dodongo, C3 Manhandla, C4 Gohma, C5 Argorok.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

And yes, giant bosses will absolutely destroy their own forces. You've probably missed it happening in previous videos. I don't know how much friendly fire is a thing, but they'll toss aside mooks like grains of sand to get at you.

As far as I've ever been able to tell, bosses can toss their allies around but don't do any damage in the process. Friendly fire only happens when you use the right attack item at the right time. On that note, one of the funniest things to me is hitting a Gibdo/Redead Knight with an arrow next to a giant boss and freezing them. It's pretty useless, but I love watching the giant boss just stop mid-attack.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The Gold Skulltula in that mission isn't behind a locked gate. It's in that next corridor to the west.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The original version of this battle was significantly less crowded, and only had two Lana clones. The offsetting factor is that you can't control allies in the Wii U version, so they would try to slow down the Lanas and not always succeed. The initial mission where they get trapped in the keeps is less critical, because you don't lose the battle if they flee, but they go down pretty quickly, and if you lose one, it makes the final sequence that much more difficult. I think it's also worth pointing out that the Lanas all spawn at the Fairy Fountain, but the game created a checkpoint when they'd all made it halfway to their destinations. You have time to deal with them, but you spent some of it not doing that.

You can also tell the real Impa from the clones because the real one is the only one who uses the Biggoron Sword. That information may be useful if you go after all of the Gold Skulltulas later. She also always spawns in the same place, so you can just figure out which one she is and remember it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

What do the Impas have to do with the Gold Skulltula? I already got the one of that level.

:allears:

I think the issue with this level was that you were much stronger than the game expected you to be for this difficulty. The main story missions are horribly unbalanced compared to the new mechanics in this version, like character swapping. It's meant to be difficult to defeat either Link or Zelda quickly, so you need to wear one down, then go fight the other, and finally go back and finish the first before they both recover. Being able to swap characters instead of running saves a lot of time. They also rapidly take keeps with their Triforce powers. The first time I played this mission, I hadn't leveled Ganondorf, so they got all the way to my base and I was trying to fight them both at once so I could finish them at the same time. I got much better at it later on. Impa can also present a threat if you're not grossly overpowered, since you only have so long to defeat her.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

My favorite part was when you were talking about how you hadn't found the Heart Container, stopped two feet away from the Heart Container, and then ran the other way while talking about how you didn't care about the Heart Container anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think you might have enjoyed the game more if you'd played in Hard mode, especially for some of the later levels. Phantom Ganon is pretty tough to fight if you're not destroying him with normal attacks.

Medli was the free DLC character for Legends, at which point she was also available as a free download for the Wii U version. So she wasn't around in time to be part of the story. Would have fit well, though.

Character pages in the Gallery are unlocked in Adventure Mode, for some reason.