Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?

Thanks everyone for watching the Let's Play, I hope that you'll join me for my next LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the LP! Both the main run and the time trials were a fun watch/listen (depending on if I had it running in the background or not).

Here's a question for you about time trials specifically. What's your philosophy when it comes to them? Generally when you get a gold/highest reward is that enough for you, or do you go a few more tries to see if you can do it better?

I suppose for me it's the former, ie some months back I played the Crash N. Sane trilogy. When I finished each game I'd then go on to do all the time trials before moving on. At first I tried to platinum every single level, but in the end I believe I moved on with a couple gold medals because 2 levels in the last island got on my nerves. After that basically as soon as I got at least a gold medal (ie the minimum completion % cares about) I moved on. Didn't help that Crash 2 and 3 expect you to always be using this fast movement trick, which they sorta fix in the remasters by adding a post-game run button, but it doesn't give you the same air distance as the trick so you still need to use it a lot.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I lost my ability to really enjoy platformers once I got old and out of practice and my reaction times went in the shitter, so this was really fun to watch somebody kick the poo poo out of a game that would kick the poo poo out of me if I ever tried to play it. Thanks Jay!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Thanks for the LP! Both the main run and the time trials were a fun watch/listen (depending on if I had it running in the background or not).

Here's a question for you about time trials specifically. What's your philosophy when it comes to them? Generally when you get a gold/highest reward is that enough for you, or do you go a few more tries to see if you can do it better?

I suppose for me it's the former, ie some months back I played the Crash N. Sane trilogy. When I finished each game I'd then go on to do all the time trials before moving on. At first I tried to platinum every single level, but in the end I believe I moved on with a couple gold medals because 2 levels in the last island got on my nerves. After that basically as soon as I got at least a gold medal (ie the minimum completion % cares about) I moved on. Didn't help that Crash 2 and 3 expect you to always be using this fast movement trick, which they sorta fix in the remasters by adding a post-game run button, but it doesn't give you the same air distance as the trick so you still need to use it a lot.

Usually once I get a gold time I'm satisfied. The Crash Bandicoot time trials always gave me way too much anxiety for me to really do them. Time Trials in general in platformers are a real love/hate for me depending on the game. Beating a game and then being like "Oh, I guess I have to play all these levels again but good" can be really deflating. I think Rayman Legends had a neat twist on it where Time Trial specific levels were unlocked after beating certain stages, and the time trials were remixes of those stages.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Pikuniku also had time-trial specific levels. Funnily enough even though technically they were for co-op play they were easy enough to complete in time solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[wild, sustained applause]

Congratulations on finishing the LP! Well done.