Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

EorayMel posted:

Kinnkuman Oneshot special for his most famous move, slight spoilers but :drat: is it good

https://mangadex.org/chapter/15c54117-dc1e-4866-93c3-52a2d50105fe

Hell yeah it is. Also catching up on the Choushin arc and this got me to actually shed tears.

Warsman is one of my favorites, I really love how he struggles a lot and is unlucky but has so much loving perseverance and becomes a staunch ally to his friends :cry:

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Between the oneshot and those manga panels, I honestly forgot just how much of Kinnikuman really is just about pure, wholesome love.

Zeta Zetton
Nov 2, 2012
So after seeing people talk about it on twitter and seeing this thread, decided to check the manga out. The first few volumes were actually pretty funny! Was definitely enjoyable even before the wrestling stuff. But then the wrestling stuff started and holy poo poo it just started to go hard as hell. Crazy wrestling bullshit, people being ripped in half, its like a switch happened in between chapters and I'm loving for it. Genuinely enjoy how Kinnikuman himself goes from being a completely and utter joke to just MOSTLY a joke who's extremely good at wrestling. Man just needed to find his calling, and that calling was wrasslin'

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Bee posted:

Between the oneshot and those manga panels, I honestly forgot just how much of Kinnikuman really is just about pure, wholesome love.

The concept of Friendship is an actual and perhaps the greatest source of power in the setting and it can even be harnessed by antagonists like Omegaman and Ashuraman.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zeta Zetton posted:

So after seeing people talk about it on twitter and seeing this thread, decided to check the manga out. The first few volumes were actually pretty funny! Was definitely enjoyable even before the wrestling stuff. But then the wrestling stuff started and holy poo poo it just started to go hard as hell. Crazy wrestling bullshit, people being ripped in half, its like a switch happened in between chapters and I'm loving for it. Genuinely enjoy how Kinnikuman himself goes from being a completely and utter joke to just MOSTLY a joke who's extremely good at wrestling. Man just needed to find his calling, and that calling was wrasslin'

It only gets better as Yudetamago's writing skill continues to grow, modern Kinnikuman is just perfect in every way. I loved the one-shot too, it clearly shows that growth, recontextualizing so much about the Kinniku Buster and 48 killing techniques in a way that makes Kinnikuman come across as a far deeper and even more sympathetic character. It also explains why it's even called that, which was always bizarre to me, but it makes sense!

Plutonis posted:

The concept of Friendship is an actual and perhaps the greatest source of power in the setting and it can even be harnessed by antagonists like Omegaman and Ashuraman.

I love when series have The Power of Friendship not just as something people talk about but as an actual thing that has justification in the setting and affects it in interesting ways and no series does it better than Kinnikuman. Especially in the modern arcs where it's become such an important plot point and even got actual explanations on how it works.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I love that they reconcile his gag character origins with his modern status by just establishing that the poor guy has insane imposter syndrome. He went from the ha ha funny fart man to a man who stands against gods on the regular, and it turns out that kinda wreaks havoc on your psyche!

Zeta Zetton
Nov 2, 2012
Just got finished with the seven devil chojin arc and holy poo poo that's some good manga right there. As soon as the other chojin showed up to help out I couldn't put it down. The entire final match is excellent, even if satan just kind of comes out of nowhere? I'm sure actual wrestling has used that plot point before though so i can roll with it.

I'm also gonna assume they just kind of hoped you don't wonder why or how Robin Mask showed up to help, when he last showed up as a villain who couldn't fight anymore and wanted revenge.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Pretty much! Dude spends the early half of the series on the alignment roller coaster and then just takes a hell of a chill pill offscreen.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Curry Cook oneshot got translated. I'm guessing Yudetamago watched RRR before writing this lol

https://mangadex.org/chapter/5a279b00-2ace-40a1-bbc6-422907cc151c/2

E: Also the Wolfman oneshot.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/48e4e9c1-901f-45b6-b8cb-bf728f247593/2

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 4, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Curry Cook oneshot is new (and pretty good, surprising we're getting backstory for such a minor character) but I definitely read the Wolfman one before, I remember it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bunch of new chapters uploaded. Hot drat, that thing with Buffaloman after his fight was really emotional. Curious to see what will happen to him now that he is joining the choushin.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's honestly surprising when you get a situation like this in a shonen, normally when the villain claims he could never be defeated by the hero as he is and that the hero should join him ends up being defeated by said hero with the power of friendship (itself a physical phenomena in this universe), even more so when the villain also mocks the hero's mentor. Instead no, Buffaloman just got completely destroyed without being able to even lightly hurt The One, and he ended up accepting his terms.

In fairness, it does seem like the gods are aiming for a greater goal here, and I imagine both sides will be together after the arc. I'm very interested to see what's such a big deal to get someone as powerful as The One to accept he and his allies can't do anything against it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I was a little sick of all the I am your father revelations by the gods followed by all the gods except like two getting demolished immediately but :drat: the ending of this match tops Super Phoenix and Big Body working together

Never loving forget:

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 12, 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Whole lot of chapters uploaded now, including a lot of sweet, sweet lore.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/69254295-cade-47bf-9dc2-b61b2099189d/10

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah so many bombshells. The Time Choujin stuff makes me wonder if it'll connect with Nisei's Ultimate Tag Team stuff too (Chaos, Lightning and Thunder were Time Chojin iirc).

E: Oh poo poo Yude IS bringing back Chaos

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 27, 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

We got two time choujin and fated princes back for more confirmed
https://mangadex.org/chapter/ddfd4aea-6f65-44fb-b37b-7239a4d0e8eb/1

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-09-28/production-i.g-to-produce-new-kinnikuman-anime-in-2024/.202940

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That solves the mystery, it's only adapting the revival arcs. On the one hand, worse for the people just getting into Kinnikuman. On the other, it means we get to the better stuff immediately.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

That solves the mystery, it's only adapting the revival arcs. On the one hand, worse for the people just getting into Kinnikuman. On the other, it means we get to the better stuff immediately.

Oh poo poo! Yeah, I honestly would prefer to see the Revival Arcs being animated too.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoZcS8LjrK0

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Chapter!

Surprising tag matchup but really curious on how they will work.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 23, 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Another short trailer for the 2024 anime dropped just now. Still looks fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZB76FMtf4A

English subtitle version

https://vxtwitter.com/PONYCANYON_EN/status/1740387922678026462?t=Kcw1iDG5tWWNcNKo_NIc7A&s=19

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 28, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Part of me is glad it's focusing on the new stuff because it's been so goddamn good but man, how do I get someone into Kinnikuman with this?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Blaze Dragon posted:

Part of me is glad it's focusing on the new stuff because it's been so goddamn good but man, how do I get someone into Kinnikuman with this?

it's not like there's a ton of complex plot they'll be missing out on

the new stuff usually briefly recaps or flashbacks to any particularly important context, and nobody needs 400 chapters of backstory to know why a Chinese guy named Ramenman is spouting meaningless proverbs while having an epic kung-fu wrestling battle with Marvelous, a musclebound armored man who has two live dragons growing out of his shoulders that help him with wrestling holds

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Vizuyos posted:

it's not like there's a ton of complex plot they'll be missing out on

the new stuff usually briefly recaps or flashbacks to any particularly important context, and nobody needs 400 chapters of backstory to know why a Chinese guy named Ramenman is spouting meaningless proverbs while having an epic kung-fu wrestling battle with Marvelous, a musclebound armored man who has two live dragons growing out of his shoulders that help him with wrestling holds

This is the only backstory you need for Ramenman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Ar-MjyNyw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://x.com/yude_shimada/status/1768888763638493203?s=20

New Trailer!