Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I remember both Ultimate Muscle and Shaman King being part of 4Kids’ golden age where the looser s&p of Fox allowed them to get away with more in terms of violence and, more importantly for UM, potty humour when compared to the WB.

Heck, I mind UM doing so good for 4Kids that thy funded the last arc themselves and built a pretty good rapport between themselves and Toei which was subsequently pissed away with One Piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I was under the impression that the order of play was;
  • Ultimate Muscle premieres, Fox s&p allows for harder Y7 content.
  • 4kids does deal for co-production of UM season 3.
  • Shaman King premires, its content some of the most to the knuckle put out by 4kids.
  • Toei opens bidding / ‘competition’ for One Piece rights which 4kids win (possibly helped by UM CoPro) and also get the rights to Magical DoReiMi in the process.
  • 4kids start work on OP. Initial work shown at trade shows proves promising (including translated ‘we are’)
  • Shaman King finale draws little in the way of ratings, a ton of PTA ire.
  • 4kids over corrects and flubs One Piece.
  • Toei ghosts 4kids on future projects (Season 3 of OP, Season 2 of DoReiMi, PreCure, any future UM work, etc.)
  • One Piece spends rest of its life on US TV shambling as a ratings pariah thanks to 4kids’ handy work

Course, this is speculation of what happened behind closed doors some 15 years ago so who knows but the people who were there, I ‘spose.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 10, 2019

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm under the impression most of the renames were fine and certainly not insane leaps of logic like changing Hao's name to Zeke. Dik Dik was probably the most esoteric to the point where one of the commericals for UM was him having a breakdown about what his name ment ("I'm a buck, a dear, that's what a dik dik is!") and some of the more daft ones might have been lifts from the M.U.S.C.L.E. line.

So, uh, any recomendations on where I start with all this? Something like "Read this for person x's intro and then hit Y for shift to wrestling"?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 10, 2019

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The Nisei chapters being missing might have to do with Viz's run of series.

Edit: ah, even the Tag Team Arc seems to be missing a chunk.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 10, 2019