Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm under the impression most of the renames were fine and certainly not insane leaps of logic like changing Hao's name to Zeke. Dik Dik was probably the most esoteric to the point where one of the commericals for UM was him having a breakdown about what his name ment ("I'm a buck, a dear, that's what a dik dik is!") and some of the more daft ones might have been lifts from the M.U.S.C.L.E. line.

So, uh, any recomendations on where I start with all this? Something like "Read this for person x's intro and then hit Y for shift to wrestling"?

Start from chapter 1 of the Kinnikuman manga and go on from there. Can't be any simpler than that.

It's fan translated although the translations...aren't great for the older material. They're still readable, but not necessarily gramatically perfect. The newer material has much better translations, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Plutonis posted:

The Omega Centaurians arc is so loving good god drat. Omegaman Aristera is a 100% a hero that happens to be on the wrong side, dude loves his friends and family but just happened to be too consumed by revenge.

It's genuinely impressive how good the villain writing has been ever since the series restarted. I feel no villain has been two-dimensional, they all have clear goals and motivations and you can even find yourself rooting for them, since even if they're ultimately wrong they're compelling and understandable.

I mean of course I still want Ataru to beat Aristera but I want it because I want Aristera to realize that revenge is pointless and finally fully awaken his Hellfire Inner Strength and save his world, not because I want him grinded to dust.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Siegkrow posted:

Hrmm. I remember back a few years ago a translation group was doing a lot of redrawing and retranslating the Kinnikuman manga.

I don't remember what group was it since I was reading it on mangafox and that site went to poo poo.

The Kinnikuman manga is fully translated already. The original part of the manga has a...rough translation though, not terrible, but with more than a few grammar errors, clearly not made by a native English speaker. Still, readable and worthwhile. The new chapters have top-tier translations though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HerraS posted:

Can I just say that I had a hearty :lol: at the new series starting the first tournament with acknowledging that Brocken Jr. was the ultimate jobber in the original and giving him an actual win

I wish more series did the same honestly. Let the jobbers have a chance at the spotlight too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bee posted:

I mean, hasn't that been Revival in general? Hell, they gave my boy Black Hole two whole matches. Two!

Hence why I said "more series". It's insane how good Kinnikuman has been about giving minor characters the spotlight since it returned. Hell, the titular character himself has gotten pretty sidelined, with the big bad matches usually being done by others (like Justiceman this arc or The Man before) which is unthinkable in shonen.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Plutonis posted:

Bumping to say that the Omega Centaurian arc just ended and a new manga series is starting in August. Looking forward to see Kinnikuman and his buddies fight the loving Choujin Pantheon

Thanks for the news, I hadn't been paying attention for a bit since the manga went on hiatus, so it's good to know that it came back. Now I only need to catch up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I hope it's a full new adaptation and not just a continuation of the old anime with the new material.

But even if it is the latter the modern arcs are absolutely excellent and I'd love to watch them animated.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zeta Zetton posted:

So after seeing people talk about it on twitter and seeing this thread, decided to check the manga out. The first few volumes were actually pretty funny! Was definitely enjoyable even before the wrestling stuff. But then the wrestling stuff started and holy poo poo it just started to go hard as hell. Crazy wrestling bullshit, people being ripped in half, its like a switch happened in between chapters and I'm loving for it. Genuinely enjoy how Kinnikuman himself goes from being a completely and utter joke to just MOSTLY a joke who's extremely good at wrestling. Man just needed to find his calling, and that calling was wrasslin'

It only gets better as Yudetamago's writing skill continues to grow, modern Kinnikuman is just perfect in every way. I loved the one-shot too, it clearly shows that growth, recontextualizing so much about the Kinniku Buster and 48 killing techniques in a way that makes Kinnikuman come across as a far deeper and even more sympathetic character. It also explains why it's even called that, which was always bizarre to me, but it makes sense!

Plutonis posted:

The concept of Friendship is an actual and perhaps the greatest source of power in the setting and it can even be harnessed by antagonists like Omegaman and Ashuraman.

I love when series have The Power of Friendship not just as something people talk about but as an actual thing that has justification in the setting and affects it in interesting ways and no series does it better than Kinnikuman. Especially in the modern arcs where it's become such an important plot point and even got actual explanations on how it works.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Curry Cook oneshot is new (and pretty good, surprising we're getting backstory for such a minor character) but I definitely read the Wolfman one before, I remember it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's honestly surprising when you get a situation like this in a shonen, normally when the villain claims he could never be defeated by the hero as he is and that the hero should join him ends up being defeated by said hero with the power of friendship (itself a physical phenomena in this universe), even more so when the villain also mocks the hero's mentor. Instead no, Buffaloman just got completely destroyed without being able to even lightly hurt The One, and he ended up accepting his terms.

In fairness, it does seem like the gods are aiming for a greater goal here, and I imagine both sides will be together after the arc. I'm very interested to see what's such a big deal to get someone as powerful as The One to accept he and his allies can't do anything against it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That solves the mystery, it's only adapting the revival arcs. On the one hand, worse for the people just getting into Kinnikuman. On the other, it means we get to the better stuff immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Part of me is glad it's focusing on the new stuff because it's been so goddamn good but man, how do I get someone into Kinnikuman with this?