Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Psycho Knight posted:

That character still counts. Leaving the party is sort of the "hero's death" in the sense that they've turned their back on the "good guys". But despite leaving the party, they are still counted as a "friend." Just look at how their death is treated in comparison to the villains.

VC3 is a little more nuanced in that regard though. That character pulls a heel turn due to atrocities committed by the supposed "good guys". Either way, they are still marked for death for no other reason than "we need someone to die". Besides, I never said it wasn't more effective in VC3. Isara's succeeded in bring tears to the old PK eyes. VC3's wasn't quite that powerful. VC4's was fairly effective. VC2's is just completely hollow.
I mean, AFAIR all the Calamity Raven Bosses get pretty somber death treatments by the narrative. Gusurg has a longer, more character-dialoguey death, but Dahau's death is treated entirely respectfully, while even someone like Lydia gets a "good/noble" death. Out of all the VC3 villains, I would say that from memory that only Borgia's death is treated disrespectfully by the narrative. All the others are treated fairly lightly (in some cases, arguably too lightly given what they died trying to do), probably cause the VC3 is trying to be less black and white than VC1 or (especially) 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Shinji117 posted:

I mean, AFAIR all the Calamity Raven Bosses get pretty somber death treatments by the narrative. Gusurg has a longer, more character-dialoguey death, but Dahau's death is treated entirely respectfully, while even someone like Lydia gets a "good/noble" death. Out of all the VC3 villains, I would say that from memory that only Borgia's death is treated disrespectfully by the narrative. All the others are treated fairly lightly (in some cases, arguably too lightly given what they died trying to do), probably cause the VC3 is trying to be less black and white than VC1 or (especially) 2.

I wasn't really referring to it in that way, as in the villains get deaths where the player is basically expected to cheer about it. You're right in that VC3 isn't as black and white with their cast of antagonists and them dying is treated with some manner of respect.

I meant more along the lines of that character's death being treated as a reconciliation moment for them and another character. It's meant to be the big emotional moment (outside of the main heroines I mean). There's a personal connection for the player since they were originally a "hero" (and even in that moment, some would argue that that character is an anti-hero at worst, rather than an outright villain).

That character is also the "sacrifical lamb" of VC3 because of how the story is written to make them into it. It's the part of VC3 that I thought was done kind of poorly, since that character pulls a heel turn due to atrocities being committed by Gallian forces, only to join up with a group from the Empire that commits their own atrocities (not to mention what the leader of that group tries to do at the end). Like I said, VC3 is a little more nuanced with how it plays out, but that character is still one I would definitely consider the "Isara" of the game (despite the fact that VC3 also does have Isara herself in it briefly). Basically, the hero has an emotional attachment to that character and that character is killed off in order to try and get the audience to be sad. A lot of media does this, I only call out the VC series here because they try and repeat that Isara moment in every game.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 25, 2020

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
I thought Juliana's development seemed pretty rushed, I guess that was because they were trying to get it all in before they fridged her. Shame, I was hoping they'd actually do something interesting with her.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

That update felt like they were serving the full course meal all at once, trip and fall, and get all the food all over themselves. Also, the main ingredient of all the dishes is poo poo. Dog poo poo, gorilla poo poo, elephant poo poo.

Nothing here works. Leon reveal doesn't work because its been obvious that he's still alive, no hints to a possible "yeah he is loving dead". The player is led to believe he is alive the whole time on a "Secret mission" that the general won't (rightly btw but for story purposes needed something firmer than "shut up") tell Avan about. And lo and behold a mysterious supersoldier on the rebel side that has the same powers as genetic abomination girl who goes to our school HMMMMMM. Juliana doesn't work for all state reasons that I can't improve on either besides a later point. The headmaster being in cahoots with hosed up experimentation doesn't work because WE KNOW THE SCHOOL IS DOING THAT SINCE THE FIRST APPEARANCE OF FREAKY SCIENCE LADY. That isn't making a chekov's gun, that is doing a sleight of hand and showing the wrong card.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

DelilahFlowers posted:

That update felt like they were serving the full course meal all at once, trip and fall, and get all the food all over themselves. Also, the main ingredient of all the dishes is poo poo. Dog poo poo, gorilla poo poo, elephant poo poo.

Nothing here works. Leon reveal doesn't work because its been obvious that he's still alive, no hints to a possible "yeah he is loving dead". The player is led to believe he is alive the whole time on a "Secret mission" that the general won't (rightly btw but for story purposes needed something firmer than "shut up") tell Avan about. And lo and behold a mysterious supersoldier on the rebel side that has the same powers as genetic abomination girl who goes to our school HMMMMMM. Juliana doesn't work for all state reasons that I can't improve on either besides a later point. The headmaster being in cahoots with hosed up experimentation doesn't work because WE KNOW THE SCHOOL IS DOING THAT SINCE THE FIRST APPEARANCE OF FREAKY SCIENCE LADY. That isn't making a chekov's gun, that is doing a sleight of hand and showing the wrong card.

It's worth noting that murder kid is actually a full-blood Valkyria, but we basically already knew about the experimentation angle. Regardless, you're right in stating most of this is rather expected outcomes. The only real surprise to me when I first played this was that the rebels finally decided attack Lanseal. Everything else I'd already predicted or didn't care about.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

That can't be LEON, he hasn't gotten that aristocratic blond lady pregnant yet!

All joking aside, this game as of these last updates has become awful enough that it's like something I'd let's play. It's like there's one self-aware writer whose aware of how loving awful the paint by numbers otaku pandering is and deliberately sabotages it by including scenes like Avan shooting himself or trauma inflicted colorblindness and the other writers are too incompetent to recognize satire and include it unironically. I will concede I wasn't expecting Zombie Leon under the armor, but I don't actually care because the game does nothing with it.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

That can't be LEON, he hasn't gotten that aristocratic blond lady pregnant yet!

All joking aside, this game as of these last updates has become awful enough that it's like something I'd let's play. It's like there's one self-aware writer whose aware of how loving awful the paint by numbers otaku pandering is and deliberately sabotages it by including scenes like Avan shooting himself or trauma inflicted colorblindness and the other writers are too incompetent to recognize satire and include it unironically. I will concede I wasn't expecting Zombie Leon under the armor, but I don't actually care because the game does nothing with it.

Imagine this as the big climax event of the game. It's no high point, but I assure you it's just going to take a steady trolley on downwards. I'll let you all in on a hint: the game basically runs out of unique material to use.

Also, the mystery of Captain Anime will have to wait for another 4 updates when it picks back up. We'll have a bit of Avan getting mopey because Cisna's Leon's "suddenly working for the rebels."

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Pushing the thread before I post the next update.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

The Flying Twybil posted:

Pushing the thread before I post the next update.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

This is going to take a lot, isn't it?

Edit: Wait, I'm a total dumbass. Didn't even need to push it. Cripes, I need to get more sleep.

:negative:

At least it'll count to push this page on some. Some of these updates'll get a little long.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 27, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 35: Shots Fired and Laser Lady Talk

Welcome back to animeland, where things are starting to happen. This'll be another long update, the last long one until the finale, probably.

It's September now, so I'm basically obligated to ask:

Do you remember the 21st night of September?

...Disco references out of the way, let's get this over with. I've got golf to get back to.

----

~ Main Story Event ~

Music: Desert Battle

Twybil's Summary posted:

: So, after they blew up the academy, they were able to take the capital and dethrone Cordelia. This basically just proves that one, the Gallian army sucks, and two, a bunch of teenagers is what was foiling the Empire.

----

~ Randgriz Throne Room - Main Story Event ~

Music: Theme of the Rebels

: Ambassador Townshend! I've been awaiting you. How go the negotiations?
: Quite smoothly! You'll sit upon the Federation Council before long, sir.
: Though I must insist the Darcsen purges end. No public support, sir.
: Federation Council? End the purges? Father, what's all this about?
: Keeping Gallia alive. Clinging to independence will drive it to collapse.
: Now's the time to join the Federation and build our arsenal under their aegis.

Won't the Empire just attack again, then?

: Father, please! I beg you to reconsider!
: I won't. Old thinking like yours is likely to leave Gallia in ashes.
: Leave Gallia in ashes?
: You propose to dissolve it entirely. To feed it to the Federation whole!
: And you would call that keeping Gallia alive?! Ridiculous!
: You fool! Have you been ambling about blind these last years?
: Does the sight of a nation ground down by the giants at its borders escape you?
: Gallia does not need a champion to fight for it.
: What it needs now is political power!

*Gunshot*

Music: None

: My eyes are wide open, Father.
: I've seen Gallia sullied by Darcsen filth and slavering foreign curs.
: And I will see Gallia restored to purity and strength!
: The means are ours. We hold the flames of the Valkyrur!
: But I see no use for those who would cast their pride as Gallians to the gutter!

*Shoots him again*

: To weaken it to the point where Federal annexation would seem a mercy.
: Well, I am not my father. And the Federation will not have Gallia.
: Your life is mine. I trust you'll make it worth keeping by cooperating.

: Surely you understand, Audrey.
: We are the only ones who can build a Gallia forged in the Valkyrian flame.
: Hm...
: The Valkyrur have seen fit to bestow that flame upon me. Join me, my sister!
: Very well. As ever, I will fight for sacred Gallia.
: It cost me a father, but I will continue this righteous war.
: You are a credit to the Gassenarl name.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: AHAHAHAHA
: Wow, you won. Neat.
: But it's not over yet until we genocide the Darcsens!
: Suddenly, I'm here and I must say that throne suits you.
: Ah, so am I set to be part of the Federation yet?
: Probably, but you really have to stop the genocide to keep public support.
: The gently caress?! What's all this about, dad?!
: Boy, we're joining the Feds to stay alive. The purges were just a scapegoat.
: WHAT?! NO?! We must keep with what we've been doing!
: Son, you're a dumbass. You'll ruin the country that way.
: No, you're the dumbass! The Federation will just take over us!
: Idiot! You'd rather us be destroyed in a repeat of what happened in the last game?! We need political power!
: Traitor!

*Shoots Bad Dad*

: Argh! Blind fool!
: I CAN SEE EVERYTHING! I won't have our country be ruined by immigrants! I will rebuild this country!
: We have the laser ladies, nothing can stop us! You won't believe in my waifus, and you must pay the price!

*Shoots again*

: Holy poo poo!
: Hey, you! gently caress you, and your imperialism! I'm taking you hostage!
: The gently caress?! Why the hell did you shoot our dad for?!
: Oh, hey, forgot you were here. Say, I'm going to remake Gallia with laser lady destructive power, wanna come with?
: (Avenge jerkass father or destroy everything?) ...Yeah, okay. I'm up for trading dad for a crusade.
: Hey, thanks! Okay, everyone still listening, Eggman just got shot by Gallian spies and I'm leader now.

----

Welp, there goes Eggman. Defeated by his own kid, and not that blue red spiky headed rodent dumbass kid Avan.

Also, that was wordy as gently caress.

Anyways, I really don't have anything else to say about this event. Honestly, Gilbert was the more compelling villain of the three. Baldren's a laser lady obsessed racist, and Audrey seems like she'll do anything to see stuff get blown up with lasers. Gilbert at least had a plan that made at least some sense.

After that we do another mission and get an immediate status update on these dinguses.

----

: They've engaged the north branch of the Gallian Army in full-scale combat.
: The Army is strong in the North. A prolonged engagement will--

: The manmade Valkyrur?
: But for such sustained use, the energy cost would be astronomical!
: Calm yourself. I had Townshend secure us a supply from the Federation.
: I would have you head to the Roendahl Canyon in the south, Audrey.
: Secure the supply line coming in from the border.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Uh, hey, we're fighting in the north and we're kinda struggling here.
: Send in the laser soldiers.
: What? But we're going to use a lot of energy doing that! More than we can handle!
: No problem, I just extorted the bootlicker for more energy. Go attack this Canyon, it'll be a really annoying map, I'm sure. Oh, and secure a supply line or something.
: Eh, you actually did good this time, I guess. I'm on it.

----

So, yeah, this is the story event that tells us what we'll be doing at the end of the month.

In the meantime, we've got annoying missions that are difficult to do and we've only just now unlocked the capability of getting second level promoted units.

Oh, and these loving things are in play now. They've got a nasty range, high damage, and a really tiny radiator on the back, way up in the air. We don't see much of them, but they're annoying as all get out when they do show up.

We have to do like 5 drat generic missions this month to get to the end of it. I was cheating massively and it was still a slog.

With that said, let's just move on to the next story event. It actually doesn't have anything to do with the rebels...which means we have to deal with Avan.

----

~ Back Alley - Main Story Event ~

Music: Everyday Life of the Class

: (That's the same name I saw on the papers that creepy doctor lady had.)
: (She and the headmaster were connected somehow.)

: Oh, hey. What are you two up to?

Music: Days With Classmates

: The campus is in shambles, but the lion's paw's still going strong.
: It's because you cared for it day, Ali.
: Because of me?
: That's right. You didn't just plant the seeds. You raised these flowers.
: I raised them... Raising flowers is fun!

*She crushes them with her foot*

Music: Conflict

: Ah!
: That's just cruel!
: Any organism that serves only as an ornament has no right to live.

So you're saying being an oxygen producer and base member of the food chain is ornamental? Listen, you don't know jack about science, lady.

But what do I care? She's just the strawman evil scientist + abusive parent wrapped into one.

: Those flowers were Ali's first! At least have some respect for her feelings!
: A test subject has no need to grow anything. No need for feelings.
: Test subject?
: Aliasse is a Valkyria. She serves as a tool to advance my research.

: Aliasse. You are not to leave the lab again. Return to your room.

*She runs off*

: Are you the one who turned my brother and Juliana into Valkyrur?!
: You've heard of Project Valhalla by now. That is my research, yes.
: Engraftment and activation of Valkyrian abilities into human subjects.
: My work caught the eye of Headmaster Kluiver. He invited me, so I came.
: So... We were all potential subjects for you to pick from?
: On admission, all students undergo aptitude screening to test their suitability.
: Those who scored highly were sent to me. That was the arrangement.

: Don't say my brother's name!
: My findings were stolen and the headmaster's dead. That is my cue to leave.

: That kind of evil could never lead to real peace.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Manmade laser ladies? Didn't they rip this off the first game-
: Pretty flower!
: And you grew it all yourself, heatstroke aside!
: Neat.
: There you are.
: Mom, look at my flower-

*Stomps it*

: gently caress your useless plants. Go back to your room and do not leave.
: WAAAAAAAH
: You heartless bastard! How could you! She grew that herself!
: She's a test subject, and doesn't need to be anything but a killing machine. That is Project Valhalla, after all. Making mutant cyborg supersoldiers is my life's work.
: You mean this was all a front for human experimentation?!
: Yes. Anyways, your brother was a very nice test subject. He was hot-
: You don't get to talk about LEON!
: Whatever. My stuff got jacked and my employer's dead. I'm out.

*Leaves*

: gently caress you and gently caress your experiments! This is all evil, I tell ya!

----

So, if you hadn't noticed, they're knocking off the artificial Valkyria thing from VC1's ending. It won't be the last thing they knock off from it.

You can probably guess where this is going.

----

~ Back Alley - Main Story Event ~

Music: Tear of Wars

: I don't want to go away from Avan and Cosette!
: You would dare defy me?
: No, Mama! I love you! I do, but... But I also want to be with them!
: Mama, am I really just... Do I have to live just to destroy things?
: I want to use my power to protect you! To protect all of you!
: Protect us?

*Guns get unholstered*

: A Valkyria's meaning lies in raw, destructive power.
: Pushing that capacity for uncreation to its limit makes the perfect warrior.
: I have no use for a Valkyria who rejects destruction.
: She's not here for you to use, you psycho!
: Move. Or I will shoot.
: You go right ahead, then...and I'll be happy to return the favor!

: One subject in my previous facility fell in love with an Imperial prince.

She means Selvaria Bles and Maximillian, from the first game. They had to connect this game to it even more.

: She ignored my orders, used her power foor him, and died a fool's death.
: Squandering that power in exchange for the life of one man is... pathetic.
: You shut your mouth!

: I don't want to kill any more! I want to help keep people safe!
: You will, Ali.

: That's not true! She's a human being, same as I am!
: She has every right to happiness and acceptance, and she'll find them here!

*She starts walking away*

: Please, Mama... Mamaaa!
: Oh, Ali...
: Mamaaa...
: I'm sorry, Ali. What she did was wrong, but to you she was still your mom.
: We're here with you, though. And we're not going anywhere.

: Huh?
: You said you wanted to stay with us, right?
: Well, from here on out, you're part of the class!
: Really?
: Really. I may not be your mom, but I can be your big sister. Now, c'mon, sis!
: A sister? Cosette, I... Okay!

: Ali, you're our friend!
: And you've got all the time in the world to return the favor.
: Okay!

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Ahh! I found you!
: Get back here, we're leaving.
: But I don't wanna! I wanna stay with Avan and Cosette!
: Don't talk back.
: But, I don't wanna destroy stuff anymore! I wanna protect!
: Hmph, what nonsense.

*Pulls a gun on her, Avan returns the favor*

: I have no use for a laser lady who won't destroy things. You exist to destroy. Now get out of my way or die.
: loving try it, I dare ya! You can't have her!
: Bah. *Holsters gun* How confusing, both experiments have grown attached to someone else, it's like I'm a bad parent or something. Anyways, you'll die meaninglessly if you follow this path. Oh, and I was responsible for VC1.
: Shut the gently caress up!
: I just don't wanna kill anymore! I'm staying with these two!
: Bah, I'll find a new one. Time to start scouring orphanages again. Humanity makes a soldier weak, and a freak like you will never have a normal life.

*Walks away*

: Mamaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
: drat, she was a total creep, but she was your mom...
: *Bawling*
: But that doesn't matter: we can be sisters now!
: Really? Yaaaaay!
: Yep, and I'm drafting you into the class too!
: Yaaaaay!

----

So, through the act of parental abandonment, we have gained Murder Child on our team. As previously discussed way back in the beginning, Ali comes as an entirely unpromoted scout while we're struggling to even get 2nd rank promoted units. It's a gigantic pain, normally.

Her potentials are kind of contrary to each other. Mysterious Body a hold over from the first game has her fully heal at random, but Valkyria gives her a boost to all stats when below half HP. Her max HP is pretty bad, so if you want to make the best of her potentials, either go glass cannon as Sniper Elite or tanky with Hvy Scout.

Her other potentials are just minor damage boosts and defense losses when near allies and away from them, respectively.

Her battle personality is entirely dissonant with her "I don't want to kill", being loud proclamations of "Buh-bye!" and other aggresive lines.

You could also just opt to not use her, which is likely what you'll do anyways. She's forced onto the team, but the cap is turned to 20 instead of 19, so you're not losing out.

Oh, and uh, story stuff happened. I don't know what you want me to say about that last event, but it was pretty expected. I didn't originally even know this would happen, but I rightly guessed it would.

We're going to be seeing a decent bit more of her, though. Like right now. It can't be that bad, right?

----

~ Classroom - Main Story Event ~

Music: Days With Classmates

You'd be wrong.

Ah, yes, we're going that route to try and excuse the unfortunate clothing choices.

: Lanseal has stopped functioning as an academy.
: The headmaster's death also broke the chain of command from the army.
: But we're still here. So now it falls on us to keep the south safe.
: Exactly. More than ever, everything we can do for these people counts.
: Right. It's up to us!

: Mmm, smells amazing! Count me in!
: Um, do you mind if I ask what made you two decide to stay here on campus?

: We just couldn't leave.
: We figured we'd do what we could to help out, even if that's just being here.
: I see... Well, thank you!
: This is so yummy! I wonder if you could bake with Valkyrian fire.
: Oh man, I'd so pay money to see that!

: Oh, let me introduce you. This is the latest member of Class G, Aliasse.
: She's a Valkyria. Oh, but don't worry, she's still just a normal girl!

: What?! You're a Valkyria, Alicia?!
: Yes. We found that out in the war with the Empire two years ago.
: Aliasse, we just met, but I'd like you to do me a favor.

: I'd like for you to use your power for the people you love. To protect them.
: Is... that okay?
: Of course. The Valkyrian flame is like any other. It can burn, or nurture.
: Destruction doesn't yield anything, but defending people gives them hope.

: Inheriting the Valkyrian bloodline may make life hard for her sometimes.
: But Welkin and I made the promise that we'll keep her safe, no matter what.
: Do you have something in your life like that? Someone you want to protect?
: I do.
: They'll be very lucky to know they can count on you for help.

: Ah ha ha... Sorry. Your bread's just too good, Alicia.
: Ha ha! Same thing happens to me. Here, I'll bring in a new batch.
: Thanks, Welkin. You kids eat all you want!

Twybil's Summary posted:

: hi guiz!
: Wha- oh, drat, why? I thought we were done with this!
: It was too hard to move around in! A 5 inch skirt and a ill-fitting crop top is much better!
: C'mon, let's show you around campus!
: Are you trying to get us all arrested?
: [Lanseal Girl's Vest] 10k, [Torn Off Sleeves] 100G, get now on AH

--

: Wow, it's gotten really empty here.
: When you get bombed, that tends to happen. Anyways, this isn't even a functioning school anymore.
: Which is why we're still policing the south despite the battle being to the north!
: We have to do what we can.
: The fate of the world lies in the hands of high schoolers!
: Yeah, whatever, I'm hungry!
: LFG LC (Lanseal Cafeteria) raid, pst to join
--

: Oh, hey. Nice to see ya.
: You're still here?
: Yeah, I show up in one kid's event and otherwise sell you unusable orders, remember?
: Bread!
: Bread!

: Er, why are you two still here?
: Eh, you kids are making an effort to save the world, figured we'd make you some bread.
: Cash out before we bail the country, you know.
: Oh! Thanks!
: Bread is good! Can you bake with lasers?
: Hold up, lasers?
: Oh, right! Ali is a Valkyria, but she's totally normal! Don't worry!
: Oh, neat, I'm a Valkyria too.
: WHAAAAAAT?!
: We found it out when my dumbass of a rival shot her with a sniper rifle.
: Hey, little laser lady, can you promise me to only tank, no DPS?
: does guild rules allow that?
: My kid's going to be rolling her toon soon, and we're going to tank for her. You should do the same for those on your friends list.
: They'll be lucky to have someone to make dungeon queues faster.
: Littlelasergirl has voted: Ready

: Avan, put down the loving carbs and listen to this! It's history!
: Sorry, this stuff's too good!
: Alright, that sounds like a call for more bread!

----

Okay, I'll admit I'm letting the summaries get highly edited, but I'm actually having a bit of fun with them. Well, trying to at least. I don't know why I find MMO slang to be funny in this context, I just do.

I can't help but think this event would've made much more impact and sense had it happened earlier. As it is now, the "protect not destroy" thing is a bit redundant.

Oh, and we're not done yet, by the way. Another mission later and we'll finally be able to get to that Roendahl place they mentioned 3 events ago.

----

~ Faculty Office - Main Story Event ~

: Yes, thank you for coming.
: Avan, are you all right?
: All right with what?
: With... Leon.
: Learning about Project Valhalla, his defection... I'm worried about you.
: I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a shock.

You never really mourned him, honestly. You didn't even believe he was dead, remember?

: I see.
: But don't get me wrong, I was stoked to see he's still alive.
: It means I've still got a chance to talk to him, you know? To be like before.
: It's like I said in the beginning. I'm gonna find him and bring him back.
: I hope that you do.
: Anyway, I'll be fine. You don't have to worry about me, teach.

: Now, let's get down to business, shall we?
: The rebels have taken the fall of Randgriz as a cue to pick up the pace.
: Their attacks throughout the south are growing fiercer than ever.
: Full control of the region would give them a foothold to strike greater Gallia.
: Ugh, great.
: The Gallian Army has concentrated its forces to try to retake Randgriz.
: That means what's left of Lanseal is all the south has to defend it.
: Leave it to us, Brixy. We'll stop those rebel bastards in their tracks.

:iit:

Also this. These games seem intent on never letting us actually use a Valkyria's power.

: I want to save them for protecting people, when it really matters.
: Without them, I'm not that strong. Can I... Is it still okay to go with you?
: I wouldn't go without you! Now come on, let's go!

: Audrey? The one we fought in Yuell?
: Roendahl is one of the top strategic positions in the south. We need it back.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: 'Sup, teach.
: You doing okay? You know, with your zombie brother and all?
: Yep! It's weird as gently caress, but I'mma bring him back!
: Cool. Anyways, I need you to take back Roendahl Dam because the army's still too busy trying to retake the capital.
: Ok.

---

: trashed my looms, my ilvl is only 350, can i still join?
: Sure, I was planning on it!
: So, yeah, go take Roendahl back. You'll have to deal with Audrey, you know the lady you failed to catch back in Yuell.
: Audrey?
: Yes. So get to it!

----

Why we'll never actually be able to use a Valkyria's power in combat is just baffling to me. Yeah, I know the whole "only for defense" thing, but is it so much to ask for to have something on par with the V2's?

Anyways, Roendahl is not like the Lanseal map and we will be seeing it again.

It's new, large and somewhat vertically oriented. The only notable mechanic to it is the button to open up the dam door. Yuell has these, but they're really not that important. For this map, there's always this one button, and the door it activates is always closed and required.

It's also tedious as gently caress, because they intentionally focus their units to make getting to the button as difficult as possible.

Oh, and you'll end up doing like 5 more missions here at minimum. Have fun, because I cheated through all of them and they were still a slog. Don't even get me started on the impossibility of finishing a defense map in any reasonable time.

Anyways, here's the last event for the month. Audrey's the boss we have to beat, hiding in her oversized tank in an area barred off by the floodgate.

----

~ Roendahl Canyon - Main Story Event ~

: What?! Silver hair and red eyes? That girl...
: You, girl. Are you of Valkyrian blood?
: Well, yeah.
: Why does a Valkyria fight with this Lanseal rabble?!
: The sacred flame wasted upon their ilk!
: Aliasse is a Valkyria, but she's our friend first and foremost.
: Yeah! Ali's a Lanseal cadet, same as us!
: You dare call yourselves equals to the Valkyrur? This is blasphemy!

Uh, this is nice and all, guys, but would one of you shoot her already? Some handcuffs or something? I mean if you're close enough to talk-

:hist101: At your command, we are prepared to fall back and regroup!

: Very well. Prepare to retreat.
: Heed me well. Next we meet, you will pay for your blasphemy!

-right... Good work, Leonard. You let them get away a second time

: Apparently it's true. At least, she seems to worship the Valkyrur.
: But they're just people! Right? Ali's just Ali...
: Right!

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Damnit, how do I keep losing to kids?!
: Give it up, lady!
: did we win
: Hot drat, a laser lady! Why do you fight for this child scum?
: She's a kid just like us, and our friend!
: Inconcievable!

:hist101: : Let's retreat.

: Let's do that! You'll pay for your HERESY, high schoolers!

*Runs away*

: I can't believe you let her walk the gently caress away again! Erhem, I mean wow she was a real cultist there.
: But Ali's just a normal girl!
: Littlelasergirl has voted: Ready
: Mission complete!

----

Like I said, you still have to do like, 4 or 5 other missions here before the end of the game. And yes, we just let villain #2 walk away again. Good loving job, Leonard

Anyways, next time we join our wacky squad as they rip off another part of VC1 with a Darcsen-based ragnite mine mission. No, seriously.

We've got October, November, and two updates of December and that's it. This game goes by a lot faster when you skip all the padding and get right to it.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 27, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

You may need to go over the bread conversation bit again. I spotted at least one typo:

quote:

Um, do you mind if I ask what made you two dedide to stay here on campus?

And an incorrect headshot and the summary quotation blocks broke too.

Edit: Last one got fixed.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Cooked Auto posted:

You may need to go over the bread conversation bit again. I spotted at least one typo:

And an incorrect headshot and the summary quotation blocks broke too.

Edit: Last one got fixed.

Thanks for catching that. It seems I'm missing a screenshot as well, so I'll get to fixing that.

There's so much drat text here, it's easy to mess up somewhere. This one nearly hit the wordcount limit.

Edit: Should be all fixed. One headshot wasn't incorrect, it was in the wrong place somehow. Another one was definitely wrong.

I manage to make the strangest errors.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 27, 2020

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I'm all for having fun with your summaries.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
At least Murderchild has actual clothes now.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Yeah, the summaries are good. And mmo slang is a lot better than whatever the game actually tried to do with Aliasse.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I mean my summaries are heavily edited, so go nuts!

You'd think Avan would consider taking revenge on the woman who murdered his brother, or Zeri his waifu but gently caress it, nope.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

The summaries are the best part of the LP. It makes slogging through the awful writing worth it to see your much more clever writing.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

You'd think Avan would consider taking revenge on the woman who murdered his brother, or Zeri his waifu but gently caress it, nope.

Nonono, Avan's gun is only for shooting himself.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Oh hey, I played this game a long time ago, and it's just as dumb as I remember.

Why we'll never actually be able to use a Valkyria's power in combat is just baffling to me. Yeah, I know the whole "only for defense" thing, but is it so much to ask for to have something on par with the V2's?

In complete fairness, full-blown Valkyria with their lance/shield are presented as so far beyond what the V2s, or other artificial projects like Max had, can do it's not even funny. Like, Selvaria annihilates an entire line of tanks in seconds, and encounters with her just have her immune to everything (as helpfully cinematically illustrated by her just casually deflecting a tank round). And that's to say nothing about their insane speed too. You... can't realistically incorporate someone operating under those rules into standard gameplay alongside all the other troops you get and still make a reasonably balanced challenge. Maybe they could make some special one-off solo mission where you just get to stomp everything while controlling a Valkyria, but that's about it (actually, didn't you get to play as Valkyria Selvaria in the bonus mission of Behind Her Blue Flame?).

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Oh hey, I played this game a long time ago, and it's just as dumb as I remember.

In complete fairness, full-blown Valkyria with their lance/shield are presented as so far beyond what the V2s, or other artificial projects like Max had, can do it's not even funny. Like, Selvaria annihilates an entire line of tanks in seconds, and encounters with her just have her immune to everything (as helpfully cinematically illustrated by her just casually deflecting a tank round). And that's to say nothing about their insane speed too. You... can't realistically incorporate someone operating under those rules into standard gameplay alongside all the other troops you get and still make a reasonably balanced challenge. Maybe they could make some special one-off solo mission where you just get to stomp everything while controlling a Valkyria, but that's about it (actually, didn't you get to play as Valkyria Selvaria in the bonus mission of Behind Her Blue Flame?).

You do, and she’s absurd. Scout movement range, ridiculous interception fire, a toggleable firing mode between “accurate, infinitely piercing beam dealing 999 anti-Armor damage” and something like “20x 99 damage” laser burst.

You can also get Valks in VC3 non-canon bonus missions (discounting the halfbreed Valk you get in the squad who is strong but not WTF Selvy/Alicia/VC4Valk strong), and the Selvy and the VC4 Valk in VC4 postgame if you get the VC4 Valk v Selvy DLC. They’re all obviously hilariously broken, even in VC4 where IIRC they use 2 ap to move.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 28, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah, no wonder he seems so unaffected by it.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Shinji117 posted:

You do, and she’s absurd. Scout movement range, ridiculous interception fire, a toggleable firing mode between “accurate, infinitely piercing beam dealing 999 anti-Armor damage” and something like “20x 99 damage” laser burst.

You can also get Valks in VC3 non-canon bonus missions (discounting the halfbreed Valk you get in the squad who is strong but not WTF Selvy/Alicia/VC4Valk strong), and the Selvy and the VC4 Valk in VC4 postgame if you get the VC4 Valk v Selvy DLC. They’re all obviously hilariously broken, even in VC4 where IIRC they use 2 ap to move.

It's been a few years since I played VC3, but I don't think Reila is a "halfbreed". It's not like Selvaria/Alicia/Crymaria are full-blooded, since the Valkyrur disappeared over a thousand years ago due to good old genetics and interbreeding. Reila just has a mutation that causes her Valkyria attributes to be outwardly visible, like her half-white hair (which is probably the idea behind Selvaria's hair. Although I've always had a theory that Selvaria's hair was dyed that colour permanently as a propaganda thing for Maximilian).

The gameplay conceit behind Reila is that her transformation puts more strain on her body than it does on others, so she can't hold it as long (which is about the only way you can include her Valkyria form in-game while maintaining some semblance of challenge). Outside of that, her Valkyria form is basically a free turn of "do whatever you want because nothing can stop her". The risky thing about using her to take on tanks is that the transformation only lasts until the next turn, so you could wind up stranding her in the middle of enemies if you aren't mindful of CP or those Special Attack Points.

You are right though. The point is that it has been done, though it's typically as part of a "taste of power" mission.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I mean my summaries are heavily edited, so go nuts!

She could have choked the life out of Leon right in front of Avan and he wouldn't kill her. Avan is the idealistic/friendship and love form of "Idiot JRPG hero". He doesn't take revenge, he just scolds people and rants at them about how they are bad people and need to repent until the person eventually caves and reforms (or gets killed by someone/something else).

I only vaguely remember the boss fights, but I don't think Avan even has a hand in the antagonists deaths. We already know that Cool McShadesman gets shot by Starscream Lite. I think the other two villains get taken out by the plans/actions of other people (which isn't overly surprising since Avan is incapable of coming up with any strategies). It's supposed to hold up the hero as being "better" by keeping their hands clean, but it really just makes them (especially Avan) look like morons.

As for the Gallian Army being garbage, while I will give you that it's pathetic the Central Army was beaten by the Anime Confederacy, I will hand it to them that positioning the main force in the north and protecting the industrial zone is smart. Anime Racists might have control of Randghriz, but that's not going to do them any good unless they can take control of the oil fields Ragnite mines.

Honestly if Starscream Lite's plan of "throw the V2's at them" fails (which it will because the Protagonist Squad is already snapping desperately needed supply lines) then they are straight hosed and the Northern Division would trample them. This dude is a lovely leader is what I'm saying. Not that that should come as a surprise. He's blinded by racism after all.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 28, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

As for the Gallian Army being garbage, while I will give you that it's pathetic the Central Army was beaten by the Anime Confederacy, I will hand it to them that positioning the main force in the north and protecting the industrial zone is smart. Anime Racists might have control of Randghriz, but that's not going to do them any good unless they can take control of the oil fields Ragnite mines.

Honestly if Starscream Lite's plan of "throw the V2's at them" fails (which it will because the Protagonist Squad is already snapping desperately needed supply lines) then they are straight hosed and the Northern Division would trample them. This dude is a lovely leader is what I'm saying. Not that that should come as a surprise. He's blinded by racism after all.

Bald boy here has already lost to our group of mostly incompetent high-schoolers once before. That already speaks to his commanding prowess. He's really just super-racist and his sister worships what feels like a doomsday cult since she's always going on about "destructive power". Eggman was the only one of them with a brain, even if his plan was significantly flawed.

It's also worth noting this is the second time they've lost the capital in two years. You'd think you'd learn from your lesson and build up the defenses significantly, but no, apparently not.

Edit: And also, Avan is never directly responsible for any of the villains deaths. Because of course he isn't.

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, I know they're overpowered, but I'd still like to have one mission where I can feel relatively powerful for once. You're always at overwhelming odds in these games, and while it feels good to make a climb for the top, sometimes it's really nice to get those moments where you thoroughly have the upper hand, especially in a difficult game. I'll agree their power is broken though and would make it lack that sense of "hah, I win this time, game" that I can get from playing strategy games on high difficulty. I suppose I'm talking about a "taste of power" mission more so than a permanent unit.

I never really bothered with the DLC and I've only played this game and VC1, so the most I've ever gotten in being able to have control of a Valkyria is the AI controlled Alicia from that one mission. This part always felt like a low blow to me, but I suppose it's nice to hear the later games give you the chance, at least.

I'll probably throw up the next update sometime tonight. I'll be free of this game soon enough, it seems.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Psycho Knight posted:

It's been a few years since I played VC3, but I don't think Reila is a "halfbreed". It's not like Selvaria/Alicia/Crymaria are full-blooded, since the Valkyrur disappeared over a thousand years ago due to good old genetics and interbreeding. Reila just has a mutation that causes her Valkyria attributes to be outwardly visible, like her half-white hair (which is probably the idea behind Selvaria's hair. Although I've always had a theory that Selvaria's hair was dyed that colour permanently as a propaganda thing for Maximilian).

The gameplay conceit behind Reila is that her transformation puts more strain on her body than it does on others, so she can't hold it as long (which is about the only way you can include her Valkyria form in-game while maintaining some semblance of challenge). Outside of that, her Valkyria form is basically a free turn of "do whatever you want because nothing can stop her". The risky thing about using her to take on tanks is that the transformation only lasts until the next turn, so you could wind up stranding her in the middle of enemies if you aren't mindful of CP or those Special Attack Points.

You are right though. The point is that it has been done, though it's typically as part of a "taste of power" mission.

Halfbreed isn't accurate, but I can't remember the exact term Scientist Lady calls Reila. IIRC, Riela is a much worse Valk descendant than the others (though I don't believe why she's not as great is explain), and once Scientist Lady sees Riela's valk form (by giving her the spear+shield) she dismisses her as a failure, as her Valk mode is on a timer even in-story and she isn't in the "I laser armies" power rank of Selvy/Alicia.

That, and another reason Riela's Valk mode isn't that great (gameplay-wise this time) is that Imca+Var is hilariously broken.

I never really bothered with the DLC and I've only played this game and VC1, so the most I've ever gotten in being able to have control of a Valkyria is the AI controlled Alicia from that one mission. This part always felt like a low blow to me, but I suppose it's nice to hear the later games give you the chance, at least.
VC1's Selvy DLC is actually pretty great (besides unfortunate minor animeisms, but nothing compared to VC2's mess).

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Shinji117 posted:

Halfbreed isn't accurate, but I can't remember the exact term Scientist Lady calls Reila. IIRC, Riela is a much worse Valk descendant than the others (though I don't believe why she's not as great is explain), and once Scientist Lady sees Riela's valk form (by giving her the spear+shield) she dismisses her as a failure, as her Valk mode is on a timer even in-story and she isn't in the "I laser armies" power rank of Selvy/Alicia.

That, and another reason Riela's Valk mode isn't that great (gameplay-wise this time) is that Imca+Var is hilariously broken.

VC1's Selvy DLC is actually pretty great (besides unfortunate minor animeisms, but nothing compared to VC2's mess).

Scientist Lady is kind of an idiot though, so I'm not sure how much weight her opinion actually carries. Crymaria is leagues more powerful than Selvaria, but she's also considered a failure because she's kind of unstable (which seems like a "problem" that could actually be addressed if anyone felt like it). Scientist Lady only considers a Valkyria a success when they are essentially perfect right from the get-go, or at least can be easily molded into perfection (like Selvaria, who is also kind of "defective" because she has total loyalty to a single incredibly narcissistic man).

Either way, I don't recall anything being said about Riela in terms of her being deficient (other than her body not being able to handle the strain for prolonged periods of time). Science Lady mumbles something about Riela not being the perfect specimen and then kind of wanders off. Plus, the issue with comparing her directly to Selvaria or Alicia is that Riela never uses her Valkyria powers in cut-scene zone, at least not with the intent to kill. I think the most she does in cut-scene zone is scare off some soldiers by blasting the side of a canyon. There's another cut-scene zone moment as well, but it's a spoiler (and she doesn't have the intent to kill in that scene either). It's a little hard to tell exactly how powerful she is since she never goes all out.

I'm not outright disagreeing with you, though. Riela is most likely not stronger than the others (except probably Aliasse since she's a kid), just based purely on the whole super-mode timer thing. However, I wouldn't doubt that she could wipe out armies if she were pushed to it.

As for gameplay, that's a whole other story. Imca+Valk Special is just that hilariously broken. Pitting Imca and Riela's specials against each other is another thing though, since I don't think Imca's weapon class can deal out much damage (if any) to a Valkyria unit.

Shinji117 posted:

One of the best things about that DLC set is how indignant the Imperials get when Damon uses poison gas against Selvaria. "Hey! Just because we're using a biological WMD doesn't mean you can! You're monsters!"

The other best thing about that DLC is completing it and getting your hands on the Ruhm.

Bald boy here has already lost to our group of mostly incompetent high-schoolers once before. That already speaks to his commanding prowess. He's really just super-racist and his sister worships what feels like a doomsday cult since she's always going on about "destructive power". Eggman was the only one of them with a brain, even if his plan was significantly flawed.

Gilbert really was the only decent one out of the villains. He's still terribly ineffectual, but at least he was somewhat interesting and pretty stylin' with those shades and that cape. I guess you could say that he was so bad that he looped back around to good. Baldren is just boring. He's basically just Maximilian again, except Maximilian was the kind of scumbag that you could love to hate. Baldren is just boring.

Dirk was always uninteresting because he was just a walking symbol of how Anime this game is. That was essentially his only purpose. Being revealed as Leon doesn't really change any of that.

Audrey is just "the religious one" and that's all she will ever be. Also I think in VC3 it is mentioned in her profile that she was actually demoted in rank after losing a battle. So Ms. Brilliant Tactician was a disappointment even before the events of VC2.

poo poo, now I want to dig out my PSP again and check out all of these losers in their VC3 appearances. I can't remember if VC3 takes a shot at all of VC2 cameo people for being incompetent or if it's just some of them.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 28, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 36: Kodachrome

Alternate Title: The One Where Someone Doesn't Get Cutscene Killed

Welcome back folks, we're almost through with this game. This month's a really sparse one with only 4 events, presumably because they were running out of ideas.

Even though the school's wrecked, daily events still happen and only a few acknowledge said destruction. That being said, I'm not really showing any of them at this point because they are less frequent and less story relevant as time goes on.

Here, have the first half of the update while I find something remotely interesting to talk about.

----

~ Randgriz Prison - Main Story Event ~

: It's been some time. Since your coronation, perhaps?
: You were a loyal officer in the Army. Why join your father in this madness?
: Do you truly need for me to say it?
: After you lied to your people? Presumed to claim Valkyrian heritage?
: I stand by the decisions I have made.
: The Gallia I have sought to create is one free of bonds of race or house.

: Gallia is a sacred land. It can only be kept so only under sacred rule.
: Gallia belongs to the Valkyrur. Not to a Darcsen.
: It is because of false leaders such as you that Gallia has fallen to rot.
: That it must live in fear of it's neighbors.
: Do you deny this?
: I have no intention of affirming House Randgriz's history of duplicity.
: But we were able to drive back the Empire from our lands for one reason.
: We came together as one. Set aside our differences. Ignored race and class.
: A wise man once told me...
: A person is not defined by her birth, nor her blood...but by how she lives.

: I will live my own life by the Yggdist precepts.
: I will fight for a Gallia at eternal peace, brought to us by the Valkyrur.
: I invite you to watch from here in your cage.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: 'Sup? Bet you haven't seen me since you were crowned, LOOOSEEEEER-
: What? You were a loyal officer, why are you psycho now?
: You lied to us by claiming you were a laser lady! This country deserves to only be run by a laser lady! Our country sucks because of you!
: I'm not going to say I lied but, listen here, we beat the Empire because we put social barriers behind us. Can't you see that?
: No, gently caress you. I'm a cultist and I want my fire. Rot in your prison.
: Bye.

----

The only meaningful development we got there was that these two at least knew one another before the rebellion. Audrey's still a whiny cultist, and Cordelia's still trying to reason this out with them.

Meh, let's move onto the next one.

----

: Those damned cadets!

:hist101: : There's more. It seems they've sparked a sense of rebellion in the locals. The Darcsen settlements in the south are showing increasing resistance, sir.

: Darcsens are fighting back?
: Which is the largest of those settlements?

:hist101:: I would say the Doerfein mining quarter, sir.

: Ready my men. We leave at once.

:hist101: : B-But surely there's no need for you to go in person, Your Highness.

: There is a meaning in it. The archduke himself is sending a message.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Audrey lost?! Curse those meddling kids, and their dog too!

:hist101: : Sir, there's no dog. Oh, but they are causing a Darcsen counter rebellion.

: gently caress! I'll purge 'em all! I'm leader now, where's the biggest settlement?

:hist101: : At the ragnite mines sir. You're not planning on going, are you?

: drat right I am, I'm going to burn the place to a crisp!

----

Wow, those were short. Imagine the disappointment of getting that after trudging through 3 generic missions and still having two or so more to go. This is a really boring month.

Since the next event I have to show is the pre-mission event, I figure it'd be a blessing sad thing if I let this be a tiny update. To add a little bit of possibly interesting content to the update, I'll cover some bonus units I have.

First up is Welkin and Alicia, apparently their anime versions. You get them when you beat the game, and they're suitably overpowered.

Then there's Selvaria, Marina, and Varrot from the first game. Murder kid actually has higher accuracy than Selvaria, strangely, and she doesn't get the token Valkyria potentials, but she's still an okay unit, I guess. She's unlocked with a password.

Marina is unlocked as part of the Edy Detachment and the first game, because yes, you can torture yourself by having them on your team with an unlock code.

If you don't know who Varrot is, she's your commander in VC1, basically the person that Brixy stands in for. You also get her on game completion.

Speaking of him, you also get Brixy when you beat the game. He's a pretty good unit, and I wish you didn't have to wait to get him. This game might've been tolerable at that point.

I've also got a few dummied out units, including an extra Avan thanks to excessive cheating. This is the one from the intro in the work clothes.

There's a lot of callbacks to VC1, actually. You can even have the long since dead prince of the Empire wreak havoc on the rebels for stealing his plot hooks.

The last ones of any interest are these three: Sleepy Cosette, Whiny Aliasse, and Jerkass Zeri.

Aside from having the wrong classes, these three all have a visible change to their design. This Cosette has hair that looks like she woke up from a hangover, Zeri's missing his glasses, and murder kid is using her ponytail from the...summer event.

All of them have a wide slough of negative potentials, with Sleepy Cosette having a total of three, including one that causes an attack to randomly fail. She does however have the absolute highest lancer accuracy in the game.

Zeri and Murder Kid 2.0 have an extra positive potential in comparison, but they all share one potential that lets them take a second action if it triggers.

Oh, and apparently Candyhair is a bad singer. Who knew?

*Checks watch*

Yep, that seems like a sufficient amount of your time wasted for me to call this an update by the end. Let's get back to it then.

----

~ Hallway / Classroom - Main Story Event ~

Music: Faint Youth

: There's a blue folder on my desk in the faculty room. Could you get it?
: Blue folder? Uh, yes, sir! I'm on it!
: (Ugh, you're going to give the girl a meltdown, Brixy.)

: Nothing yet.
: I see.
: If I hadn't recommended him for that mission, he'd still be--
: It's not your fault.
: No, I should have trusted my intuition sooner. Even without concrete proof.
: Leon wasn't the only one. A number of Lanseal's best students lost their lives.
: But by the time I learned the specifics, it was too late. I failed them.
: I can't do a lot about that. Sorry, but--

: You're not listening. I was gonna say you should tell all this to Leon.
: ...I would like that chance.

*Cosette struggles to move back on screen*

: Cosette?! I only needed the one--
: I thought I'd be on the safe side and just bring them all, sir!
: Y-You never know when you might need them. Right?
: (That's the lamest thing I've ever heard!)
: (What else am I supposed to say? I couldn't tell them apart!)

: Something's happened. Get the squad prepped and waiting!

Music: Briefing

: A large portion of the mining staff is comprised of Darcsen laborers.
: The rebels have set explosives in the mine and are calling it a cleansing.
: Are they trying to bury those people alive?! That's inhuman!
: Your objectives are twofold: force the rebels out and stop that bomb.

: Every second counts. I wish you Godspeed.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Hey, the sheltered and traumatized 13 year old we brought to war did great!
: Yeah!
: Hello you two. Cosette, can you get the blue folder off my desk?
: S-sure!
: (You're gonna give her a heart attack you know.)
: Now that she's arbitrarily away, I wanted to say I have deep regrets regarding LEON. I should've suspected that secret mission was something fishy.
: Don't worry about it, I'll bring him back and you can apologize yourself.
: H-here...I...am! Brought 'em all! Never know when you might need them, eheh!
: Gah, I only needed the one...!
: (Lame excuse you got there? Still colorblind?)
: (I did what I had to, okay? It's not easy, you know?!)

:carol: : Hot drat, battle stations guys! We've got another Darcsen purge on the loose!

: You heard the lady, on the double!

--

: Hit me with the details, teach.
: They're attacking a ragnite mine filled with Darcsens.
: We're still stealing plot points?
: Sort of, now go do the mission!

----

Yep, we go get to shoot Baldren again. Can you guess what's about to happen?

Oh, and this map's actually rather pretty for a PSP game if not overwhelmingly BLUE. Doerfein brings back the minecart mechanic used all of two or three times in VC1, and sometimes has a global passive healing effect. Oh, and it's littered with those ragnite canisters we first saw way back at the beginning of the game. Now they bring that mechanic back.

Anyways, it's pretty simple, and aside from being generally buffed, Baldren's the same as usual.

----

~ Doerfein Ragnite Mines - Main Story Event ~

Dude, just stop this whole rebellion. You're getting thoroughly beat by schoolkids. It's just embarassing.

: The day is mine, cadet! You and your men can die alongside the Darcsens!

*Runs off*

Good loving job, Leonard.

: Rgh! Split up, guys! Half of you evacuate civilians, the rest find that bomb!
: Okay! Radio back if you find anything, guys!

: Zeri here. I've evacuated the east block miners to a safe distance.
: Copy that. Round up the squad and come on back.
: Now we're just waiting on that bomb.
: Avan.
: Cosette? Is that you? What is it?

: Cosette, there's a timer? Can you find an ID number on it?
: N-number? I don't... Yes, it says T898 on it.
: The 98 series can be disabled by cutting the red detonator wire.
: Cutting any of the other wires will trip the fuse and trigger the bomb.

I mean, really, how often has this scenario been used before?

: I told you, after seeing my parents... I can't! I just can't do this!
: Not if you tell yourself you can't!
: You promised you'd stop running away. Did you forget?!
: I didn't forget...

: There's only a minute left! You all have to run! Get as far as you can!
: I'm not going anywhere! I'm not leaving you here.
: But, Avan!
: I made a promise, too. I know I'll survive this because I believe in you.

: You can do it, Cosette!

: Trust your gut, Cosette! The whole squad's behind you!
: You guys...
: Now, beat this thing! Cut that wire, Cosette!
: Hoo...

*A snapping noise is heard*

Music: None

Music: Faint Youth

: Cosette!

: Avan!

: It was knowing that I had you all with me that did it. Thank you.

: Zeri, I...
: Woo hoo hoo! What's this about "friends," Zeri? You feeling feverish?
: ...Be quiet.
: Also, I've been wondering for a while now... What is this "promise" about?
: Was I absent from class the day this happened?

: Not just sweet, but sweet, sweet...?
: Wh-what?! No! It's not-- we're not like that!

It's really not. Like I said, Candyhair is the only love interest in the game's main story.

Here's your answer as to why.

: Dude, shut up! Don't throw my own material back at me!
: And somehow it always boils back down to this.

*Supposedly after leaving the caves*

: The whole world is. I've been missing out...
: You can catch up now, though, right?
: This right here is a good start. I'll remember this sunset for a looong time.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Curse you meddling kids! You haven't won yet!
: Tell me where the bomb is!

:hist101: : Evacuate our men immediately?

: Yes, you fool!
: *Ineffectual pantywaist complaint*
: We don't have much time!
: Uh...get to evacuating immediately! Someone go find that bomb!

---

: All right rescued all the ones on this side.
: Hey, I got all the ones on my side too.
: Cool, just gotta wait on the news for that bomb-
: Avan! I found the bomb!
: Great, now just defuse it!
: What's it look like? Does it have a convenient ID number?
: I-I...It's got a timer! O-oh! And an ID! T898
: Okay...just cut the red wire or it goes boom.
: But I'm colorblind! I have trauma, you jerks!
: Just do it! You promised! I believe in you with my power of blind faith!

: *Stares at bomb intently*
: *Effectual pantywaist whimper* *cuts wire*

*Miraculously, (because of course,) it's the red one and her colorblindness is cured*

COUNTER-TERRORISTS WIN

: (I...I can see everything, I KNOW EVER-)
: Cosette!
: Avan! It's a miracle! I kept my promise!
: Of course, I had blind faith in you all along!
: Thanks for believing in me, guys!
: Wow, they still remember I exist- I mean, yeah!
: gg, clench play
: We're your friends, we'd never leave you behind.
: Hey, hey, what's this "friends" thing?
: S-shut it, I'll have you know I'm still a tsundere! Anyway, what is this promise I keep hearing about?
: Duh, it's a love promise!
: WHAT?! NO!
: Ew, no! Why would we ever do that?!
: Just "friends" are we?
: Don't turn it back on me!
: Please stop fighting! Also it's still my moment!

--

: Kodachrome~!
: They give us those nice bright colors,
: They give us the greens of summers,
: Makes you think all the world's a sunny day~!

----

I mean, that was nice, but it would've been nicer if it didn't feel so cliched. "Cut the red wire" , "colorblind bomb defusal", "we're all counting on you", and even the cure for colorblindness by way of friendship power.

I mean, literally, we just saw someone's colorblindness be cured by the power of friendship. Also Baldren got away again because thanks Leonard.

Cosette's terrible blood trauma potential has also been replaced with Beautiful World which gives her a chance to act again, and thus probably making her one of the best engineers. That's not saying much, though.

Next time, we see someone get cutscene killed again. And it'll happen again after that too. Seriously, nobody ever dies in this game with us just shooting bullets to win the map.

Oh, and we're going to be ripping off VC1 again. This will be a recurring theme for the last few updates, tragically.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

:raise:
Ya know, I don't think that's how you heal PTSD. Just saying.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
drat, why didn't anyone tell the medical field that long term disabilities could be fixed by love and friendship? We could have had puppies and ducklings at every ER instead of boring dripfeeds and painful needless!

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

See the cure to your "afflictions" is to man up! Trauma and chronic afflictions can be solved with very dangerous situations that induce growing panic and anxiety!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Despite curing her colorblindness, Avan knows Cosette has "the cooties" which would distract him from righteous contemplation of LEON.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 29, 2020

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

DelilahFlowers posted:

See the cure to your "afflictions" is to man up! Trauma and chronic afflictions can be solved with very dangerous situations that induce growing panic and anxiety!

WARNING: May not apply to the Darkest Dungeon or similar eldritch settings.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Are we absolutely certain Leon isn't short for Leonard?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Cooked Auto posted:

:raise:
Ya know, I don't think that's how you heal PTSD. Just saying.

If it makes for a poorly formed moral taped together with tropes, it's not past this game's sensibilities.

This game is awful, is what I'm saying.

Slaan posted:

drat, why didn't anyone tell the medical field that long term disabilities could be fixed by love and friendship? We could have had puppies and ducklings at every ER instead of boring dripfeeds and painful needless!

A minor additive dose of anime to a penicillin shot is enough to cure even terminal illnesses. The negative effects of radiation are also remedied with liberal application of kawaii.

Truly, our medical systems are still in the dark ages.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Despite curing her colorblindness, Avan knows Cosette has "the cooties" which would distract him from righteous contemplation of LEON.

It's the rules of being LEONful Good, you know. Help out everyone with your blind faith, idiocy, and power of friendship, but let nobody get between you and the one and only Savior.

Join today and get a free set of LEON themed drink coasters.

DelilahFlowers posted:

You know, that's really what Cosette's whole arc is saying. I mean, it's not bad to be hopeful that someone can overcome their personal problems, but this whole thing is showing that in the absolute worst possible way. I'll stand by my point that Avan has incredibly terrible situational awareness and can't comprehend the gravity or reality of any situation that requires any thought.

I mean, I really hope nobody who's ever played this game or seen a similar moral thinks this is the right way to do it. It's an incredibly terrible way of thinking.

Quicksilver6 posted:

WARNING: May not apply to the Darkest Dungeon or similar eldritch settings.

ADDENDUM: Should you be present in such eldritch settings, please contact your local Sanatorium supervisor and have a tidy sum of gold at hand.

Hwurmp posted:

Are we absolutely certain Leon isn't short for Leonard?

At this point, I'm really beginning to wonder. I mean, we'll never get any real backstory on LEON, so there's a large grey area there.

But seriously, the only things keeping Avan from being Leonard are his lack of desire to get in a disinterested lady's pants, and the fact he actually succeeds. Countering those points are the facts that: 1. he is obsessively and futilely chasing down his brother instead and 2. all of his "victories" is just because the writers hand it to him on a platter.

He will continue to drastically endanger people with his reckless ignorance, fail to stop any villains until the absolute last moment, as well as dominate the story when nobody wants him to.

I think the best comparison I can give is that he's Leonard-lite crossed with a bit of FE: Fates Corrin.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Maybe I missed something in the updates, been skimming to read the much better summaries, but with all his talk of LEON there hasn't been any sort of reminiscing scene of him. No memory to a time between him and Avan, not even a story. Even in the incredibly bad setup from game start, it would have worked a bit better if we were given more idea of the person Leon was. Given reason to care just a bit. But no, we are shown him at the start of the game and over halfway through the game with nothing inbetween besides babbles from Avan on how good he was. God, this game is a failure of greater magnitude than I previously thought.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

DelilahFlowers posted:

Maybe I missed something in the updates, been skimming to read the much better summaries, but with all his talk of LEON there hasn't been any sort of reminiscing scene of him. No memory to a time between him and Avan, not even a story. Even in the incredibly bad setup from game start, it would have worked a bit better if we were given more idea of the person Leon was. Given reason to care just a bit. But no, we are shown him at the start of the game and over halfway through the game with nothing inbetween besides babbles from Avan on how good he was. God, this game is a failure of greater magnitude than I previously thought.

Pretty sure we don't. I think the only time you yet to see what kind of person Leon is is during his cameo in VC3. That’s it. Other than that, you only really see him through the hero-worshipping lens of Avan.

If you're curious, from what I remember Leon is like a subdued and far less stupid version of Avan. He has the same reckless bravado, but he's also much more responsible and is intelligent enough to follow along with the thinking of someone (as, or) more tactically minded than him. We obviously only get to see a very short scene with him, but he seems kind of boring to me. He doesn't seem to have a lot of personality.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Psycho Knight posted:

If you're curious, from what I remember Leon is like a subdued and far less stupid version of Avan. He has the same reckless bravado, but he's also much more responsible and is intelligent enough to follow along with the thinking of someone (as, or) more tactically minded than him. We obviously only get to see a very short scene with him, but he seems kind of boring to me. He doesn't seem to have a lot of personality.

I think that could be pretty great if he was really just some guy that's utterly undeserving of the hero-worship he gets from Avan and the respect he got at the academy. This'd be even better if Leon wasn't some anime secret superscience artifical laser mans project, but he just deserted.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Ratoslov posted:

I think that could be pretty great if he was really just some guy that's utterly undeserving of the hero-worship he gets from Avan and the respect he got at the academy. This'd be even better if Leon wasn't some anime secret superscience artifical laser mans project, but he just deserted.

It initially starts out like that in his VC3 appearance, but no, he does go on to become a big hero that's super special and important.

Basically, when you meet him in VC3 he's just a Lancer in Squad 4 (I think he's just a Sergeant). He meets with Squad 422 as the "captain" of the squad because apparently the actual captain of Squad 4 got shot in the foot and couldn't attend. He joins in the mission and I think that's all you ever really see of him. But I think it's mentioned in his character bio later on that he went on to distinguish himself and earn the title of "Gallia's Scarlet Lion" or something, which is when he attracted the attention of Lanseal and crazy headmaster man/science lady.

The funny thing is (and I think this may have been a slip-up by the writers), Leon should technically be dead. He was a member of Militia Squad 4, which I think Alicia in VC1 at one point mentions got obliterated by the Valkof (either when it was fired or when the Marmota drove out into the field or when it exploded, I can't remember). So either Leon deserted his squad during that battle, or he was injured at some point before the Marmota appeared and got sidelined for the last part of the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 37: Operation Didn't We Do This Already?

Hey, look, it's snowing again. It's worth mentioning that we'll cycle all the way back to the winter theme starting with next month. It'd be a neat detail, if the rest of this game wasn't so horrendous.

Music: Autumn in Lanseal

Here's the autumn theme, just in case you wanted to hear it again for some reason.

Anyways, let's get to it, as there's only two updates left to go after this.

----

~ Classroom - Main Story Event ~

Music: Everyday Life of the Class

: The counteroffensive at Randgriz has begun. The army's fighting back.

: Yeah, totally.

: Huh? Oh, sorry.

: Has something happened, Professor?
: Orders have just come in from headquarters.
: Operation Alabaster Gale, the Army's move to retake the capital, succeeded.
: The Army's won a decisive advantage, and victory is now a matter of time.
: That's awesome!
: It's a bit early for celebration yet. I'll get straight to the point.

: The bulk of their forces under Audrey Gassenarl have already pulled back.
: Word is, they've hunkered down in the harbor city of Anthold.
: (Was that Leon's...Is he there with them?)

: We need to take the port before the remainder of their force arrives.
: Gather in the briefing room as soon as you're prepared to sortie.
: Um...
: Snap out of it, Avan. We need to get ready.
: Ngah?! Y-You don't have to drag me by the arm!
: I know exactly what's going through your mind. Some master strategist.
: You really think you can bring him back when you're this spaced out?
: I don't... I don't know.

: I have no intention of forgiving him.
: But I'm willing to give you first crack at him.
: Though given your state, I'll be sitting on the sidelines until I'm gray.
: Hey!
: Hmph. I'm not dying out there because your brain up and walked off.

: Sheesh, could've fooled me.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: What's up?
: We've got communications with the military back.
: Yep, we're almost done!
: (Leon...)
: Hey kids, guess what? They've already retaken the capital.
: Wow, that was fast!
: Yep, and that loser Audrey is running for a port city. We're all to head there and shoot guns at 'em.
: Leon...
: Snap the gently caress out of it! We've gotta go to war!
: B-but...Leon...
: Make no mistake, I want to shoot the guy for taking my waifu away, but you're not going to talk sense into him like this.
: Leon...
: Fine, whatever! I'm going! I'm not dying out there because you're flaking on me!
: Sheesh, that was harsh.
: He's a tsundere, you know.
: REALLY?!

----

Like that, the capital was retaken in a snap. Supposedly this is because Baldren wasted all of his troops at the mines, but I think it's because they didn't want to make a map for Randgriz and they'd be ripping off the first game even more.

It's rather boring writing, but I'm not really going to complain because it meant one less mission I had to do.

Anyways, briefing is next. But remember that the game does not stop forcefeeding us missions we have to do on the side to progress.

Even in the final month it won't stop. It's obnoxious padding.

Note that each D rank you see is me just waiting out the end of every defense map because it's not fun to try and play hide and seek with this dumb game.

----

~ Briefing Room / Anthold - Main Story Event ~

: As I mentioned, the rebels are consolidating forces in Anthold.
: And they're likely setting up base camp by the port.
: They're cornered and they know it. They'll be fighting for their lives.
: Failure in this mission means certain death. I trust you all know that.
: We've heard the gloom and doom before, teach. We're all coming home safe.
: Heh heh. I knew you would say that. Very well.

: The same pack of cadets again?

:hist101: The Archduke is fighting to hold down the capital as we speak.

: We cannot afford to lose this ground, men!
: All units, prepare for combat! Hold Anthold as you would your very lives!

:hist101: Yes, ma'am!

Twybil's Summary posted:

: So, yeah, they're holing up in a port and they'll be fighting to the death. If you lose, you die.
: We're not going to die, because we're all protagonists!
: Figured you'd say that. Let's get to it, then.

--

:hist101: General! It's those meddling kids again!

: drat it, again?! We're not losing this time! Fight for your lives!

: I'll get you this time, heretics!

----

I'm pretty sure I still had to do a daily mission after this to progress the story. Maybe not, but that would mean I had to do 4 missions to see this event.

The padding. It's awful.

----

~ Anthold - Main Story Event ~

Enemy Turn Music: Return Battle

*Big cannon fire*

*Rifle fire*

: We're heavily outclassed. There's no getting through head-on.
: But the only way to this port is past the aqueduct.
: If we can't get trough them from the front... There! We'll hit 'em from above!
: If we lure them below the aqueduct then blow it--

: Get Brixy on the horn! We can get him to send in some explosives, too.

: Placing the explosives would require at least one of you in their camp.
: You're up against elites there. It's too much, even for you.
: We won't know that until we give it a--
: And if they did detonate the aqueduct, the chance of them surviving is nil.
: Do you understand that the plan you're proposing will cost a squad mate's life?
: That's not... Well, fine. Then I'll--

: Zeri, you can't really mean that.
: What? No way, man! I should be the one to go.
: You're the squad's leader. So, stay here and lead.
: What? But--
: Professor, I understand your reservations. I think it's insanity myself.
: But Avan's insane plans have gotten us this far.
: Squad G won the Laevatein Cup because he was able to pull us together.
: Avan is Squad G's leader.

: Zeri, wait!
: You're not going to ruin my stirring speech by telling me not to go.
: ...
: Fine. Hold up a sec.

*Snap*

: Honestly, sometimes... Of course. It'd be a crime to leave it like this. ...Although it does rather suit you this way.
: Heh, jerk.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: ATTAAAAAACK!

--

: drat, we're losing!
: We need a new plan!
: But what do we do?
: I got it! We'll blow up the aqueduct! Call Brixy and get us some bombs!

--

: Okay, it's a plan, but hell no. It's incredibly dangerous, and whoever goes is not likely to return alive.
: F-fine! I'll go!
: No, you're the leader! Stay here and do your job, I'll do it.
: You can't be serious.
: I am, and I'll agree that it's insane. However, we've managed to get this far on harebrained schemes, I'll take my chances! *Hangs up*
: No, don't!
: Don't ruin my amazing speech.
: Fine, *snap* here, take half of the medal from the championship. I want it back when you're done.
: Why do you break everything? Eh, anyways, I'll come back alive just to make sure it get fixed. *Runs off*
: Don't be the obligatory death for this month, please!
: Alright, let's make a distraction! And by that, I mean doing what we usually do!

----

Anthold Aqueduct is a mostly unique map, and just recycles the trolley cart gimmick from the mines. The only thing worth noting is that Zeri starts alone in a map covered in enemies, and it can't be reached otherwise. Mostly, you just run for it.

Let's move on then so we can be done with the update.

----

~ Anthold - Main Story Event ~

Music: Theme of Class G

: But they're not dumb. It's just a matter of time before they figure it out.
: Work fast, Zeri!

: What happened to the fire they showed at Roendahl?
: Fetch me a scout!

*Radio signal*

: The wireless! Zeri! Did you get it?!
: Stop shouting in my ear.
: I rigged the waterwheel at the center of the aqueduct to blow in five minutes.
: Hah! You're a genius, man! Come straight back!
: I'd planned on it.

*Gunshot over radio*

: Hrngh!

*Radio cuts out*

: Zeri? Hey, Zeri?!

: Two minutes left. I've got to get out.

:hist101: : Don't let him escape! Fire!

*Gunshots, Zeri runs*

: Thirty seconds. Just a little farther and--

*More gunshots*

: Reinforcement? drat, my route is blocked.
: ...No!

*Timer goes off*

Enemy Turn Music: Return Battle

Music: Tear of Wars

: Zeri's fine! He's alive and he's coming back.
: He's too proud to let that meal stay broke. He's too strong for this!
: Avan...
: Wha--? There!

Music: Theme of Class G

: Oh, thank goodness!
: That was a crazy plan, even for you, Avan.

*Golden screen flash and a clink noise*

: There, that's better.

: Ha ha, yeah!

Twybil's Summary posted:

: We can't fool 'em forever Zeri! Get it done quickly!

--

: I can't be fooled forever. Send a scout to check our back lines!

--

: When's he gonna call back?! *Radio call* He's calling back?!
: The bomb has been planted at the waterwheel!
: Good work, now get back here!
: Planning on it!

:hist101: There he is, get 'em boys!

*Gunshots*

: ARRGHHGH- *Radio cuts out*
: Zeri? Zeri?!

---

: gently caress, my arm! I've got two minutes left--

:hist101: Get 'em boys!

*Bam, bam*

: drat, suddenly I'm down to thirty seconds!

*Bam, bam, bam*

: Just gotta-

*Click*

: Nooooooooooo-!

*Aqueduct explodes, Audrey gets washed away then explodes? and Zeri fails to recover from the overflow of water*

--

: Snake? Snaaaake?!
: Not you too, Zeri! Where are you?!
: dont go afk on me!
: He's probably de-
: He's still alive, I know it! This is all for dramatic effect! He's gonna fix that medal!
: look! *pings minimap*

: Zeri!
: Thank goodness!
: I was just standing off-screen dramatically, you dinks. Don't any of you know how to look to the left? Whatever, that crazy plan's done with. Here.

*Magically restores the medal by power of friendship?*

: Better. Back together again, just like the team! I'm no longer tsundere!
: Yeah!

----

I mean, seriously, this is just a knockoff of the mission in VC1 where you destroy the bridge the death train is on. Instead of a bridge, it's just an aqueduct, and instead of destroying a super train, it's just a high powered tank. It's a very similar plot point, at least.

I don't think you'll be able to argue "just similar" with what happens next, though.

Anyways, it took the power of water to defeat the Wicked Witch of the West, when all Leonard had to do was use that pistol of his for something other than shooting himself.

Next time, on the penultimate update, we resolve this whole thing with LEON. Also another person dies in a cutscene.

Be there. Or don't, I won't judge.

Oh, and there was the final vote I promised... I should probably put that up soon given we've only got two updates to go... So, uh...

Reader Participation:

Vote for whoever you want to get the final shot of the game and end this waking nightmare of a game.

You can vote for:
- Any of the previous characters in any of the votes can be voted for.
- Alt Cosette, Alt Ali, or Alt Zeri
- Characters from VC1 (Welkin, Alicia, Largo, Rosie, Isara, Varrot, Edy Detachment, Selvaria, Prince Maxmillian, and a few more)
- Brixy
- Ms. Candyhair Fanservice
- Leon himself
- A character from an entirely different game (PSU2)
- Two random people who don't show up until after the end of the game
- Debug characters
- Avan from the beginning of the game
- or a combination of the above.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 2, 2020