Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

One of the portraits in the demolitions conversation is off, it's Avan instead of Brixy. Also its Attack not Atack.

Update on previous page by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Cooked Auto posted:

One of the portraits in the demolitions conversation is off, it's Avan instead of Brixy. Also its Attack not Atack.

Update on previous page by the way.

Thanks again, as always. It's been like a week and a half since I wrote these and the amount of focus I put into them is only so much.

I'll get 'em fixed soon enough.

Edit: Fixed 'em. It's amazing, the errors I can make.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 2, 2020

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Wow, you could tell the devs had to finish this game in three weeks

I vote for Town Watch C, the true hero of this story.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

this feels like it was supposed to be like three missions instead of a cutscene.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
Yeah, this was just a shittier version of the fight with Gregor. Gregor's death made sense though, since he was sealed in a huge armored train that dropped like 200 feet into a ravine. If the fall and impact didn't kill him, then he definitely drowned or suffocated.

Audrey's tank just gets knocked aside and then flipped over. We don’t see any water getting inside during that cutscene and she's not trapped underwater like Gregor was (the aqueduct got destroyed. The water can only carry a tank so far before it spreads too thin).

It’s like the writers wanted to copy the Gregor moment from VC1, but then they realized that Audrey could easily survive this unlike Gregor, so they just made her explode for no reason.

Why not just have the waterwheel fall on her? Same result, except without the spontaneous combustion.

Whatever, at least that knocks off one of the remaining members of Team Racist. The quicker they die the quicker we can all move on with our lives.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I vote you pick the worst and most annoying of the characters for the full VC2 experience. Anisette, Vicky, as many Avans as you can....

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

DelilahFlowers posted:

Wow, you could tell the devs had to finish this game in three weeks

I vote for Town Watch C, the true hero of this story.

Just give it a bit. Any show of effort from this game will assuredly be :effort: from now on.

Town C is a solid choice.

Ratoslov posted:

this feels like it was supposed to be like three missions instead of a cutscene.

They really feel disjoint and that you were supposed to be doing something more related to it, but no, random interspersing of dull daily missions. It feels like they wrote this part still thinking the game was going to follow in the tracks of VC1 and not have pointless grind missions. Either that or they really did just go "meh" at the idea of putting any more story missions in.

Psycho Knight posted:

Yeah, this was just a shittier version of the fight with Gregor. Gregor's death made sense though, since he was sealed in a huge armored train that dropped like 200 feet into a ravine. If the fall and impact didn't kill him, then he definitely drowned or suffocated.

Audrey's tank just gets knocked aside and then flipped over. We don’t see any water getting inside during that cutscene and she's not trapped underwater like Gregor was (the aqueduct got destroyed. The water can only carry a tank so far before it spreads too thin).

Not to mention that Audrey herself is already a rip-off of the big indestructible tank commander from VC1, Jaeger, I think it was. The only difference is that Jaeger was a decent bad guy and you have to fight Audrey twice for some reason.

Apparently, according to the yearbook entry, the engine of the tank exploded. As to what caused it, I have no drat clue unless water seeping into the tank is going to cause that much of a problem. I mean, best case scenario it just cools it, the worst case scenario the engine stalls. It's like you said, they just handwaved her gone.

I mean you could try and argue that the waterwheel would be too gruesome, but... one: being exploded is pretty bad on its own, and two: we've already seen worse in this series, really.

Regardless, this is only a premonition of the things to come in the next update.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I vote you pick the worst and most annoying of the characters for the full VC2 experience. Anisette, Vicky, as many Avans as you can....

You bring curses upon mine soul, Great Evil King. You truly live to the heights of thy title.

It's all good though. It is an appropriate choice to end this with.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

The Flying Twybil posted:

You can vote for:
- Leon himself

it is time for Our Lord and Savior, the Great LEON to descend from on high and cleanse this abomination from his sight.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

BlazeEmblem posted:

it is time for Our Lord and Savior, the Great LEON to descend from on high and cleanse this abomination from his sight.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'd like to vote for as many characters as possible who are already confirmed dead.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Poil posted:

I'd like to vote for as many characters as possible who are already confirmed dead.

Seconded. No one who’s actually alive should have to put up with Avan.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

: Wha? What happened? Where am I?
: Oh, right the bomb. Guess I didn't make it outside the blast radius.
: So this is the afterlife, huh. It doesn't look like paradise so it must be-
1: Hey, Zeri!
2: Look guys! It's Zeri!
3: Whoah! Zeri's come to keep us company!
4: Zeri! Zeri! Zeri!
5: Now we can all be best friends forever!
: ...hell.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

OOrochi posted:

Seconded. No one who’s actually alive should have to put up with Avan.

Poil posted:

Come on, Isara has suffered enough. Don't drag her out of the grave for this garbage.

Not to mention that Audrey herself is already a rip-off of the big indestructible tank commander from VC1, Jaeger, I think it was. The only difference is that Jaeger was a decent bad guy and you have to fight Audrey twice for some reason.

Apparently, according to the yearbook entry, the engine of the tank exploded. As to what caused it, I have no drat clue unless water seeping into the tank is going to cause that much of a problem. I mean, best case scenario it just cools it, the worst case scenario the engine stalls. It's like you said, they just handwaved her gone.

I mean you could try and argue that the waterwheel would be too gruesome, but... one: being exploded is pretty bad on its own, and two: we've already seen worse in this series, really.

Jaeger was awesome. He was so awesome that he was allowed to walk away from VC1 alive. Also, his big indestructible tank made sense. It was so loaded down with extra armor that it could barely move and also needed supply chains set up just to make sure it didn't immolate itself from heat buildup. Audrey's big indestructible tank is just an artillery piece/katyusha rockets that you can't damage because [Developers].

Also, how shoddily built was her tank that water caused the engine to explode? The loving Edelweiss drove through a river just fine. Even Gregor's big rear end armored train didn't blow up, and it dropped hundreds of feet into a ravine.

Honestly, my preferred explanation is that Audrey accidentally fired that things cannons into the ground and blew herself up. It fits more with the gross incompetence on display in this game by everyone.

Also there's no way that having a bridge dropped on her would have been more gruesome. Not when we get a cutscene with a close up of her terrified face before being enveloped in an explosion like a Gundam character.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Poil posted:

: Wha? What happened? Where am I?
: Oh, right the bomb. Guess I didn't make it outside the blast radius.
: So this is the afterlife, huh. It doesn't look like paradise so it must be-
1: Hey, Zeri!
2: Look guys! It's Zeri!
3: Whoah! Zeri's come to keep us company!
4: Zeri! Zeri! Zeri!
5: Now we can all be best friends forever!
: ...hell.

:golfclap: Bravo.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

BlazeEmblem posted:

: I am deeply disappointed in such a gross misuse of the morals outlined in Testament 14, Commandment 3, Hardins 5. This is what I had tried to warn you of in Testament 3, Squad 4, but alas, 'twas not to be. I shall have to take matters into my own hands.

*Leans in close and whispers*

: (Ah, and I am also to inform you that this unauthorized use and resulting copyright violation will be settled in court. Have a nice day!)

Poil posted:

The nightmare i have every night5

:iit:

(Also, :golfclap:)

Psycho Knight posted:

Come on, Isara has suffered enough. Don't drag her out of the grave for this garbage.

Honestly, my preferred explanation is that Audrey accidentally fired that things cannons into the ground and blew herself up. It fits more with the gross incompetence on display in this game by everyone.

Also there's no way that having a bridge dropped on her would have been more gruesome. Not when we get a cutscene with a close up of her terrified face before being enveloped in an explosion like a Gundam character.

And they changed her class in this game to be AT as well, not engineer as it should be.

The idea she blew herself up out of incompetence is now my personal canon explanation. It's really the only thing that makes any sense here.

As for the scene itself, maybe they just needed to draw it out to be "cinematic"? Though, you could easily do that with the wheel falling on her, so really the only thing I can think is that they were not only trying to clear Avan's hands of blood, but also Zeri's as well, in some sort of twisted logic.

OOrochi posted:

No one who’s actually alive should have to put up with Avan.
Too true.

Also, drat, I guess I really did die way back when.

Edit: Also, next update out tomorrow.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 38: The Finale of Captain Anime

Alternate Title: Operation Didn't We Do This Already? , Part 2

Music: Winter in Lanseal

So begins the final stretch. Welcome to December, the end of the game. We still have to do bog-standard missions before we hit the real ending missions.

The ending of this game takes quite a while for something that's rather underwhelming in many ways, so we'll be doing the first half today and the final half tomorrow.

Strap in folks, we're almost done with this mess.

----

~ Randgriz Throne Room - Main Story Event ~

Music: Theme of the Rebels

: And the dirigible is still groundeed for repairs after the Lanseal operation!
: Just... Just what do you plan to do?
: Townshend, you will take me to the Federation.
: S-Sir?!
: I am telling you to welcome the Archduke of Gallia as a guest.
: Surely the Federation will oblige me a visit?
: Eek! Y-Yes of course, sir! It would be my pleasure!
: L-Let's be off at once, then, Your Highness. To Anthold!

: Hmph. Even the Army will not follow into Federation territory.
: I'll gather my forces there and bide my time for the next offensive.
: Dirk, we move for Anthold. Prepare to leave at once.

: ...
: Hmph. Miserable puppet. I will not allow your fate to become my own.

Twybil's Summary posted:

:hist101: Sir! We're losing all of the sudden!
: drat, they really turned this around didn't they?
: Excuse me, but we're not planning on staying here, are we?
: Hell no, you're going to take me to the Federation. They won't follow me there. Yes, I AM threatening you.
: Eep! Okay, we'll, uh, use the hidden battleship that just happens to be at the nearby port!
: Perfect. Don't worry, Dirk, I won't let you fall into their hands. Even if you are a loser.
: :(
: Yes, you'll be my meatshield until the end, fool.
: :(

----

Gigantic battleship/dreadnought and a crazed, racist leader looking to become an artificial Valkyria?

If you've played VC1, you know where this is going. And yes, I slogged through 11 months of missions for this. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll say it soon enough.

This game is awful.

----

~ Anthold - Main Story Event ~

Music: Briefing

: That's not possible. Intel never mentioned any battleship.
: Look, on the gangplank! Isn't that Baldren Gassenarl?
: What? Their main force is nowhere in sight, but the general's here?

Listen, you dinks, you have snipers. If you can tell it's him from here, then just take him out already! I mean, you won't be able to put him on trial then, but you know he's going to let you take him alive anyways, right?

: They're planning to run to the Federation with that ship.
: What?! Wait a second, they've got...
: The rebels have Leon and Juliana's data! All the Project Valhalla results!
: We can't let them escape. It's up to us to stop them.
: But there's nothing we can do once they're at sea.
: We'll radio the Navy for backup. Just a second. Umm...
: Rrgh, there's no response. They've cut the long-range radio relays.

: I forgot about that!

I'm not surprised you did. He was last mentioned 10 updates ago, nearly half a year ago in-game.

: Listen carefully, buddy. I need you to bring this letter to the Archduchess.
: Cordelia, remember her? In Randgriz castle? You were here with me.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: So what, this is the only port right? Where are they?
: Beats me.
: Guys, look! It's a gigantic boat!
: The gently caress? That shouldn't exist anymore! That was a plot point from VC1!
: Holy crap, it's the general too!
: What?! This doesn't make any sense! Wait, that's the Federation ambassador, isn't it? They're fleeing to another country!
: Hold on, they've got LEON and Candyhair's data!
: They're trying to leave with my waifu's measurements?! Unacceptable! I'll call the Navy!

*Tries calling the Navy*

: drat, they cut off the Navy!
: What do we do?

*Bird flies in*

: Plot Bird! He'll get the letter there!
: Wow, I totally forgot that was a thing!
: Go, Plot Bird! Find that lady you met for all of 7 seconds! The future of the country lies in your capable talons!

----

Yes, Jarde is plot important. Did you remember that Plot Bird exists? Because I didn't.

Hooray for incredibly convenient plot devices to bail our protagonists out of any situation.

Now we leave, do a few more missions and then get back to the main story. Yes, this is the finale of the game.

Why are we doing random missions at the end of the game? I don't know, I was hoping you'd have a better explanation than mine: "padding".

----

Music - Briefing

: Until Jarde can get to Randgriz, we're the only ones here who can stop it.
: We can do this.
: And we will.

: Take the Valkyrur squad and mow them down!

: That's Leon!

: I'm all right, Aliasse. Thanks.
: Let's get started, Avan. It'll be tough, but we can't afford to lose here. For Gallia's sake, and for your brother's.
: Right. Everybody, move out!

: He's dangerous. I can feel it.
: But I'll keep you safe. Avan, Cosette, everyone.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Our hope for success relies on Plot Bird! Let's hold 'em off until he gets back!
: Got it!

--

: Dirk, go shoot these fools up.
: Understood.

--

: Reinforcements!
: Wait, that's Leon! (Leon...) I'm coming for you, Leon!
: Are you ready? [y/n]
: Yeah!

: watch out, he's got high dps
: but i'm a tank, dont worry, I gotcha

----

Finally, we're at the last missions of the game- they'll be throwing three in a row at us.

This one's not much to write home about, aside from being rather evil. You have to defeat Dirk, and he's powered up due to a hidden supply vehicle. You have to get past him with at least one unit into the building far behind him. There you can hit a switch at one of the enemy bases and it'll open one of two buildings to the left and right of the starting point. There's also other units on this mppa

One's just got a promoted sniper in it, while the other has the hidden Supply Vhc. With that gone, and you hopefully not shredded by Dirk at this point, you can take him out with whatever you got. Tank fire and auto snipers do well at this.

When he falls, the mission's over.

----

Music: Theme of Valkyria

: Rgh! Is he immortal?!
: Stop this, Leon! There's no reason for you to keep fighting for them!
: Rnnngh...

: How many of them are there?! We'll never get through this many!
: Don't you recognize me? Leon, it's me! It's Avan!
: Initiating attack.

*Laser charge*

*Fires it at Avan*

: Avan, he can't hear you! That isn't your brother!
: Leon, I won't let you...
: Exterminate them.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Leon, it's me, listen to me! LEON!
: Kill.

*Shoots him*

: AAGH!
: Avan, that's not your brother!
: Yes it is!
: Calling reinforcements.
: Aah! There's more of them coming!
: Eliminate.

:black101::black101::black101: : Understood.

*They shoot lasers at them*

: *Blocks*
: Ali?!
: I main tank now! You're not hurting my party!

*They fire again, she dodges*

: Fine! Extremely anime battle it is, then!

*Extremely anime battle occurs, and a helmetless Leon is left standing.*

: *Eyes clear up* (Whoa. The gently caress happened?)

----

Is it me, or did they entirely forget Avan got shot or something during that? Suddenly he's back with the rest of the team.

Eh, it's unclear. Let's see the resolution of LEON THE GREATEST.

----

~ - Main Story Event ~

Music: None

: Leon?!

*He shakes and falls down.*

Music: Faint Youth

: All that... I've done...
: Even without being... in control, I... I was still conscious. I saw...
: Why'd you do it, Leon? How did it come to this?
: I wanted to... keep Gallia safe. For Mom... For you.
: I thought who... Who'd do it, if not... me...?
: Leon... You idiot...
: Protecting something with your life and sacrificing it are... different.
: Avan...

: You don't... need... This power... Graugh!

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Massive...loving...headache...
: Avan...
: You remembered my name?!
: Everything...I saw... I had plot-based...mind-control.
: Why, Leon, why?!
: Wanted to protect... what I loved... the same way they got...Candyhair...
: Leon... you idiot. Protecting and sacrificing are different things.
: Don't...lecture me on... morals... I was probably never told... what would... I was mind-controlled...
: ...Urgh... Hey, when'd you get so tall...? Listen, kid...don't do... gene modification- Graugh!

*Falls over*

: Kid, forget about me... move on with your life...
: No, I could never do that! You're half my character development!
: Just do it... tomorrow will be a new day, and you can... get real character development. Well defined... plot hooks...
: *Puts book on chest*
: W...what?
: "Carpe diem". An Avan original. I'll never forget you, Leon.
: T-that's... not how it works... also possibly... plaigarizing...
: I'll never forget you were my bro! Also kinda my dad! ...You can rest now. Don't worry about your little bro, okay?
: B-but... I'm not done... a-ah, gently caress it... thanks, kid. You were... my only source of character development...
: :rip:

: Leon? Leon?! LEEEEEEOOOOON!!!
: (I'm just going to stand over here awkwardly and look possibly sad.)

----

Avan gains Left the Nest, replacing his Brother's Words potential. It doesn't say what it does, so I assume it's an improved version.

Rest in peace, Captain Anime. You were the most ridiculous and anime design and your reveal was incredibly predictable for me.

Then again, you are the unfortunate catalyst for this entire plot, so...

Next time, see what happens when Avan acknowledges the fact that murder kid just totally killed his brother. Also come see the extent to which they ran out of unique material.
t, and instead of destroying a super train, it's just a high powered tank. It's a very similar plot point, at least.

I don't think you'll be able to argue "just similar" with what happens next, though.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 3, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm amazed you didn't went with "I'm going to pop my Uber" for when Aliasse decides to fight.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Avan, Gallia is not history if shitwad McStupid Jr. gets away. He's beaten. He failed to hold on to Gallia when it was weakened from a World War, what makes you think he'll be able to rebuild an army capable of taking on Gallia before Gallia can rebuild it's army to full strength? The Federation sure as gently caress isn’t going to openly support a failed coup leader and help him invade a sovereign country, especially since getting Gallia to join the Federation is a major pursuit of theirs. At best he might get some secret material support from Townshend. I hate how VC2 tries to make the player think that this mission is super important and vital to Gallia's survival. They try and make it seem just as important as stopping Maximilian/Marmota or stopping a fantasy nuke.

So yeah, the V2 offensive was a failure and now Gallia's northern division is knocking on the door with a boot ready to shove up your rear end. Good job, Baldren. Also good job Gilbert, who thought taking Randgriz would mean victory, as if this was a game of capture the flag (or a game of Valkyria Chronicles :v:).

The antagonists of VC2 are such a non-threat. Make no wonder that a bunch of high schoolers led by the world's dumbest squad leader was enough to stop them.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 3, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm amazed you didn't went with "I'm going to pop my Uber" for when Aliasse decides to fight.

Gah, missed opportunity on my part.

Oh well, too late to change it now. (I'm lazy.)

Psycho Knight posted:

Avan, Gallia is not history if shitwad McStupid Jr. gets away. He's beaten. He failed to hold on to Gallia when it was weakened from a World War, what makes you think he'll be able to rebuild an army capable of taking on Gallia before Gallia can rebuild it's army to full strength? The Federation sure as gently caress isn’t going to openly support a failed coup leader and help him invade a sovereign country, especially since getting Gallia to join the Federation is a major pursuit of theirs. At best he might get some secret material support from Townshend. I hate how VC2 tries to make the player think that this mission is super important and vital to Gallia's survival. They try and make it seem just as important as stopping Maximilian/Marmota or stopping a fantasy nuke.

So yeah, the V2 offensive was a failure and now Gallia's northern division is knocking on the door with a boot ready to shove up your rear end. Good job, Baldren. Also good job Gilbert, who thought taking Randgriz would mean victory, as if this was a game of capture the flag (or a game of Valkyria Chronicles :v:).

The antagonists of VC2 are such a non-threat. Make no wonder that a bunch of high schoolers led by the world's dumbest squad leader was enough to stop them.

The only thing they were a threat to was unarmed civilians. These villains just don't work in the established world, and only go to show how little the writing team cared about the political drama of the first game in comparison to their dumb hijinks. And yeah, they're playing this like it's a capture the flag scenario.

You know, it's been occurring to me that where this game had been aggressively mediocre before, it's managed to take a downhill rail straight to garbage land.

VC2 never ceases to amaze.

Oh, and I also got the OP updated again. It had apparently been sitting back at Update 25 for quite a while. The final update will be out sometime tomorrow.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Okay, some script doctoring to save this scenario:
1. Baldren is absolutely delusional, and about fifteen minutes after he gets out of port he's gonna be locked in the brig to be used as a low-value bargaining chip by Townshend. There is no real chance that Baldren is gonna be any kind of real threat here.
2. Leon and the V2s aren't killed by Aliasse, but by bombardment fire from the ship itself- the goal being to kill the high schoolers by pinning them down with disposable brainwashed troops and wipe them out with artillery. Aliasse comes up with a Bullshit Anime Shield to protect Class G, but Leon dies in Avan's arms anyway.
3. Avan is pissed and swears vengance, thus justifying the incredibly stupid lengths he's gonna go to to apprehend Baldren.

There. Still stupid, but it makes more sense and ties more into Aliasse's tank-not-DPS plotline.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'm just going to ignore everything else that's insanely stupid here in favor of JUST looking at the magically appearing warship. Hell, I'm even going to skip everything insanely stupid about said magically appearing warship doing exactly that, in favor of just what the hell this mission design was.

I mean, it's just so goddamn dumb. "Oh no, a squad or two of infantry with like a single tank in support is charging our fully-manned warship (because I refuse to call whatever that is an actual battleship - even a pre-dreadnought), whatever shall we do? Blow them the hell up with our main/secondary/tertiary battery, and/or just repel them with small caliber weapons from what's effectively our armored fortress? Nah, we'll send out troops to engage them on the waterfront for some reason."

Like, they were of course trying to emulate the whole Marmota feel, but the problem is you can't necessarily just pick up one scenario and drop it in another with virtually no changes. Marmota was both in a far more vulnerable position (capable of being surrounded, and boxed in by terrain), dealing with issues that aren't present here (dealing with the power and cooling issues caused by firing Valkof), and far more vulnerable to board for a huge host of reasons. Oh, and even though it's just you commanding Squad 7, storywise the assault against it is made clear to have been a multi-squad effort. Here, it's made clear it's a single bloody squad against the full personnel complement of a like 600'+ ship.

Plus, even aside from that this whole mission doesn't even make a drop of sense- "It's up to us to keep it occupied until the navy arrives!!!!" ...How? Wouldn't advancing troops (assuming the ship weaponry can't just deal the one loving squad advancing)... I dunno, SPEED UP their preparations to set sail by skipping non-critical checks due to the imminent danger and such? Meaning they're more likely to slip the tightening noose?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You know how they could have salvaged this? It's really loving easy!

TheGreatEvilKing fanfic posted:

: Hey, dipshit, thanks for all the artificial laser genemod data you conveniently put on this boat. I'm leaving now. Without you. What, did you really think the Federation was going to let a bunch of failed racist coup leaders push them around? Give my regards to Avan.

: Curses! If only my generations of inbreeding hadn't left me terminally stupid!

: Poppin my ult lol you don't have the HP to stand up to my l33t build!

: Blizz nerf :rip:

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Honestly, the most likely scenario should Baldren escape is that Townshend has him and the remaining GRA arrested the second they touch Federation soil, then Townshend turns them all over to Gallia as a "show of good faith and symbol of Federation support for Gallia." Townshend has been caught for the second time trying to subvert Cordellia's rule, so he needs some kind of political cover for that. Arresting the rebel leader and handing him over to Gallia makes the Federation look good to the public (both the Federation's and Gallia's). Meanwhile, Cordellia will have to keep Townshend's involvement a secret because it means Baldren can stand trial and also because Gallia can't afford to stoke sentiment against the Federation after just having fought off the Empire as part of a continental war.

Outside of that, the best Baldren can hope for is a Federation firing squad as Townshend tries to erase any knowledge of his support for the rebels. He's sure as hell not going to royal welcome and asylum, or any kind of direct military support. And I'm not sure how many fellow racists he'll be able to round up in Federation territory.

It's sort of cute how this game tries to make us believe that the crisis is on the same level of VC1, VC3, or VC4.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Ratoslov posted:

Okay, some script doctoring to save this scenario:
1. Baldren is absolutely delusional, and about fifteen minutes after he gets out of port he's gonna be locked in the brig to be used as a low-value bargaining chip by Townshend. There is no real chance that Baldren is gonna be any kind of real threat here.
2. Leon and the V2s aren't killed by Aliasse, but by bombardment fire from the ship itself- the goal being to kill the high schoolers by pinning them down with disposable brainwashed troops and wipe them out with artillery. Aliasse comes up with a Bullshit Anime Shield to protect Class G, but Leon dies in Avan's arms anyway.
3. Avan is pissed and swears vengance, thus justifying the incredibly stupid lengths he's gonna go to to apprehend Baldren.

There. Still stupid, but it makes more sense and ties more into Aliasse's tank-not-DPS plotline.

I mean, you'd have to do a lot of script surgery to make this all not stupid, but what you've got is a far better explanation than what they're willing to give.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

You know how they could have salvaged this? It's really loving easy!

I'd bet money they either ran out of time or effort to bother with this game's last three months. Writing a far better setup really isn't that hard, but they ran straight for cliche and knocking off the first game. That being said, this is a far better ending that takes the time to step back and comprehend actually what's going on instead of what nonsense they're going with.

Did you know they forget about Townshend entirely in the ending? Yeah.

Lord Koth posted:

I'm just going to ignore everything else that's insanely stupid here in favor of JUST looking at the magically appearing warship. Hell, I'm even going to skip everything insanely stupid about said magically appearing warship doing exactly that, in favor of just what the hell this mission design was.

All of this is basically pulled out of their rear end because they either stopped giving a drat or they were running out of time to put this garbage on shelves. You're very right about this wanting to be the Marmota, and it's precisely something I'm covering in the final update (coming in an hour or so). This is all just unbelievable posturing to set a class of about 40 high schoolers against a small battalion and have them win an encounter that tries to make them seem more "epic" than the first game.

When I first started this, I had only made it to the point just before murder kid joins your team. I never saw any of this trashfire waiting at the at the end for me. Now imagine my expression when I realized all the garbage I was slogging through would bring me to the grand prize of a bad knockoff of VC1's ending.

Psycho Knight posted:

It's sort of cute how this game tries to make us believe that the crisis is on the same level of VC1, VC3, or VC4.

They really do try and it'd be adorable if I didn't spend 4 or so agonizing months getting to this ending. As it is, I hate it.

Also, Baldren won't be getting a firing squad, because that would make sense. No, you have to dial the anime up by 11 and the effort down to zero first.

Next update in about 30 mins.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm looking forward for this to finally end.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The two sound clips I will never forget in this game are

"ah HA ah HAHAHAHA"

and

"I AM BALDREN GASSENARL HEAR ME AND OBEY" because I sucked at the first mission you fight him.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 39: The Nightmare Ends (It Was Just A Bad Version of VC1 After All)

Today, it ends, my friends. This update marks the end of this slog of a game.

No obscure or unfunny joke intros this time around, we're just jumping right into it.

Let's finish this.

----

~ Aboard the Dandarius - Main Story Event ~

: Engage the intruders! I want that squad dead!

:hist101: Sir!

: Perhaps it will see use before the day is out.
: Not the grandest of stages for it's first unveiling... But no matter.

Music: Return Battle

*Large rumble*

: Wh-What was that?

*Another large rumble*

: The ship... It's moving!
: drat it, were we too late?
: If it enters Federation waters, it's all over.
: Then we won't let that happen!
: Jarde's probably on his way back with Cordelia and the Navy now.
: We'll take out Baldren and hold the bridge until they get here!

: Okay, got it. That's the plan, guys. Let's go!

Most of everyone: Yes, sir!

: What's wrong? You look sad.
: I'm sorry. I... He was your brother, and I...
: I wanted to use my powers to protect people, but...
: But all I can ever do is destroy!

: I even got to talk to him. I got to say good-bye.
: You protected all of us, and defended my brother's humanity.
: I did?
: You did. Now come on. Let's put an end to this.

Twybil's Summary posted:

:hist101: : Sir, they're boarding!
: Then fight them off!
:hist101: Got it!

: Time to test my secret weapon! I'd hoped it would be on a fancier occasion, but, who cares?

---

: Are we all here?
: Yes!

*Ship starts taking off*

: We're moving!
: No! If we reach the Federation, then he'll be legally protected!
: Well, we'll just have to take them all out before we do!
: Yeah! Oh, and we should destroy these rail cannons while we're at it.
: Good idea! Let's go, guys!

---

: Avan! I'm sorry!
: What?
: i wanted to be a tank, but i killed the boss! all I'm good for is DPS!
: Naw, don't worry about it. Sometimes the tank kills the boss. Besides I got to talk to him before he was banned. That's all I could ask for. You did good, kid.
: rly?
: Yes, really. Now let's go for another dungeon!
: Littlelaserlady is now Ready

I'll stop now, I swear.

----

Battle Music: Ship Battle

Hmm...

So we've got a big dreadnought...

...with deadly cannons we need to disable by destroying heat sinks.

...why does that seem eerily familiar? :thunk:

They both even have the same propellors.

On other terms, the only thing worth mentioning about the Marmota Dandarius is that when it fires its cannons, the muzzle flare burns the deck. Basically, you need to end your turns indoors.

----

~ Aboard the Dandarius - Main Story Event ~

Battle Music: Ship Battle

:hist101: : It seems your last little sprint is over. ...Fire!

*Large explosions*

:hist101: : Ngah?! What happened?!

: Hey, that's--

Music: Royal Military Academy

: All riiiight!
: You're the freaking MAN Jarde!
: I recieved your message, Avan.
: You have done Gallia a service. Now, for the sake of its future...

Twybil's Summary posted:

:hist101: Gotcha, punks!
: Hoo, boy, there'a a lot of 'em.
: Look's like we'll need to go through them,
: B-but, we're surrounded!

*Large gunfire, ship gets hit or something*

:hist101: :hist101: :hist101: : The gently caress?!

: That's right, traitor scum, I'm on a boat!
: Holy- the bird did it!
: You go, Plot Bird!
: I don't know how we're talking to each other over engine sounds over a half a mile apart, but I got your message!
: ...and thanks for sending it! That being said, you're going down, rebel scum! Don't let a one escape!
: Wow, when did she finally decide to take action?

----

Oh, hm, didn't Cordelia arriving to help also happen in VC1?

Huh. Must just be a coincidence. :shrug:

----

~ Dandarius - Main Story Event ~

Music: Theme of Class G

: I'm not popping any corks until we've found Baldren.
: That voice!

Music: Gassenarl's Ambition

: Yes! I have become a true, complete Valkyria!
: No!
: For what end?

: But it must be purified of all Darcsen taint.
: Through me, the people of Gallia will see their nation reborn!

I have to say, he looks really cross eyed-

-and kinda goofy in general.

: A chosen race? Purify away the Darcsens? Just who in the Hel do you think you are?!

: I know all sorts of Gallians, you know.
: Cosette loves to sew. Zeri loves... I dunno. Thinking about stuff!
: Aliasse loves flowers, and my brother loved his family.
: We're all different. You talk about purity, but no two of us are the same!
: And we acknowledge that, not hide from it. We co-operate. That's strength.

: So be it. If you would cling to illusions, I will break them from under you!
: This is it, everybody!
: We'll take back Gallia with real strength -- each other!

*Everyone cheers*

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Hey, we did it.
: Wow, we're gonna win!
: I'm not celebrating until we find General Balding.
: Oh, really? How kind of you.
: That voice! Suddenly it's also gotten really cloudy!

: ANIME, COME UNTO ME

*Does dramatique entrance with his dumb armor*

: No! He's reached maximum anime!
: I will usher in a new age of ANIME Gallia! One without dissimilarity, one without Darcsens!
: Hey, gently caress you! We're all different here! We work through the power of friendship!
: Bah, I'll make you realize just how wrong you are!
: Friendship powers, go!

----

Right, so I'll come out and say it: I spent 4 a half months of my life and went through a lot of frustration just to see a bad rehashing of VC1. I understand the point of callbacks, but there's a point when you've called back too much and you're just re-using part of the plot of the previous game.

The Anthold aqueduct feels like rehash of the giant death train mission, at the end of Fouzen Mines.

But this, this is straight up a copy. Giant dreadnought armed with cannons, do thing to board ship, destroy heat sinks. Cordelia arrives. Enemy leader goes off the deep end and turns themself into an artificial Valkyria.

You can argue against that, sure, but this is what it feels like to me. I think they ran out of ideas.

Music: The Final Battle

Anyways, here's a brief look at the mission. The readers of the thread voted for those who were dead to help out, while also voting for Our Lord and Savior, LEON.

Technically, that means LEON wins because he's dead too, but I'm fair.

----

The Final Mission: Twybil's Dramatic Summary posted:

: Ah, how nice of you to call.

: This should be easy. Ready, fellow fallen soldiers? Just take the sidelines and make a beeline for him.

: Time for payback! I'll show you what I think of your ragtag army!

: Hyaaaaaah!

: Ooh. Scary. Say, why am I here again?
: Ah, for stealing your plot hooks and being a racist.
: Fair enough.

: Take thiiiiiis~!

: Good work. Can you take up the side, Max?

: For the last time, you will address Us as Emperor!
: Yeah, yeah.
: And for your information, We are already ahead of you.

*Rapid fire sniper shots*

: Selvaria. Capture the flag if you would. I want these pests to learn what happens when you try to steal Our plot points.

: Hm? Oh! Apologies, I'd gotten caught up in having a sniper rifle again.

: There you are. You know, they're really putting up a terrible defense.

: Well, killing immortal ghosts does happen to be tough business.

: Ah, here it is.
: Can someone remind me again why we're capturing flags?
: ...Hm. Never thought about it.
: I-It's symbolic. Yes, that's it, I'm sure.
: Don't forget the tactical benefits.

: Could you save this for later? We want this update finished quickly.

: LEEOOOOON~!
: What is that horrible racket?

: Well, whatever it was, it's gone now.

: LASER LADY, YES YOU'VE COME TO ME!
: This is really disappointing, you know?
: It really is.
: B-BUT... AM I NOT ANIME ENOUGH?!

: Nah, she's just talking about your strategy. Putting a tank engine on your back is just lame.
: That means I win the bet.
: Same here.
: Fine, 50 DCT. I'll pay up later.
: Would you just shoot already?
: Oh, right. Sorry.

: Amazing End This Nightmare Please, Leon Super Attack!

: HOW? I AM BALDREN GASSENARL-
: Laaaaame.
: What she said.
: Yeah, you really are, Baldy.

: I believe they were talking about you, Hardins.
: Whatever. I know I'm cool, I have a cult.

: WOULD YOU PLEASE JUST SHUT UP? AT LEAST LOWER YOUR GUN SO I CAN SHOOT YOU.
: Oh, sure.

: AAAAAARGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

: Really, that's just immature.
: Yeah.
: Agreed.
: *Nods head regally*

: ... You'd all do the same, right?
: Hell yes.

*They vanish*

: Well, that was nice. See you next time, guys?
: Guys?
: Eh, I've still got my cult.

----

~ Dandarius - Main Story Event ~

*Electrical noises*

: Then you deny this power to the end... So be it.
: But do not forget that... this was your choice.
: To live in fear of both the Federation and the Empire.
: As a tiny nation stripped of the fangs to defend herself... You chose...
: We'll remember.

*Loud electrical burst*

: Then try to defend this country... my home... with just those frail arms...
: Try to... defend...

*Big explosions*

Turn Music: Return Battle

: Here, everyone! Quickly!

: Go, Cosette! I'll be right there as soon as we're all off this thing!
: Okay... Hurry.
: That's the last of us. Avan! Come on!
: On my way! Be there in a--

*Another big explosion*

: No dice. I can't reach the ledge.

*Another explosion*

: Ngah?!
: drat it, what am I supposed to do from here?

Music: Championship

: Because you're a fool who only knows how to do things the hard way.
: Who knows what kind of mess you'd get into if someone weren't around?
: But...
: Eh, I've made my peace with it. It's my fault for being friends with you.

You've come a far way from telling people to asphyxiate, Zeri. You're still not a great character, but at least you developed.

: You're like a never-ending supply of opportunities for heroism.
: I told you, I'm becoming a hero. I need to keep you alive to see that.
: Heh, I wouldn't miss it.
: Wrap this around your arm, and... Okay. Let's get out of here.
: Right behind you!

Music: Theme of Class G

Twybil's Summary posted:

: You could've had...maximum anime... remember you could have had this...and that I didn't steal this plot device...
: Yeah, we'll remember.
: ...Okay, cool. Now I'm going to explode and cause the obligatory... escape... sequence...

*Does exactly that*

: Whoa, guys, we've gotta get out of here!
: Avan, get to the boat!
: Hold on, let me make sure everyone else is on first!

*Indeterminate amount of time passes*

: They're all here!
: Alright! I'm coming! I hope nothing unfortunate happens-

*Ship has a massive explosion*

--

: drat, looks like I fell a good distance. I can't climb back up from here... what to do?!
: Listen fool, I'm here to save your rear end!
: Zeri! But why?!
: I didn't want to admit it, but we're friends now, you dingus! Someone has to keep an eye on you, and since you provide easy opportunities to be a hero, it's going to be me!
: Alright, cool!
: Now let's go!

---

*Everyone pulls them back up with the rope.*

: We're coming-

*Another convenient explosion*

: Run for it!

: YEEAAAAAAAAAH- *Does a leap between the two rapidly dividing boats*

*Barely misses a grab, Cosette and the rest of the class fling them onto the boat. After brief touching moment:*

: It's over.
: Yeah, pretty much.

----

~ Brixy's History Channel - Main Story Event ~

Music: Royal Military Academy

: Upon the death of Baldren Gassenarl, the Archduchess Cordelia called for the unilateral surrender of all remaining rebel forces. Their shattered army was defeated, and the civil war that had spanned the last year drew to a close.

: It's campus destroyed by the rebel invasion and its name tarnished by news of human experimentation, the venerable academy closed it's doors. Yet it's grounds still served one final purpose as the cadets of Class G gathered to hold a graduation ceremony of their own, in the shadow of its bell.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: So, like, with their leader dead, Rebel surrender came pretty quickly. I mean, what else would you expect?
: Anyways, the school shut down, being wrecked both in reputation and structure. Getting ousted for human experimentation tends to do that.

: We held a graduation ceremony though. I mean, I was pretty much the only teacher left and most of these kids had already qualified for graduation three times over as per the credits system.
: You know, we really should've fixed that. The frighteningly aggressive pop idol girl had like seven certificates at one point. I don't think she even did anything.
: That, and it was really hard to tell who had what anymore. I mean, really, things get confusing when the campus is reduced to nothing and only a single bunch of students hang around like it's some sort of residential commune. That's why I stopped bothering to talk about that side of the story.

: ...Er, what was I talking about again? The graduation?
: Ah, right. That. Well, it was a nice gesture anyhow.

----

~ Ruins of Lanseal - Main Story Event ~

Music: Graduation

|Alternatively, you can listen to it here|

~ Epilogue ~

Music: Farewell, My Academy

|Listen to a slightly shortened version of it here|

I don't know how this picture is possible, but whatever.

The game normally doesn't cover the other units, so I went ahead and showed the final yearbook entries for the characters we voted for.

:unsmith:

I suppose that works.

Huh. Dad didn't last long, did he?

Well, I'd assume that's a happy ending for most people in Gallia.

Now she's into explosives. Neat.

Hers only shows once you do Morris's, so here ya go : "After the end of the Gallian Civil War, Coleen became a radio host due to her chatting nature and she writes to Morris frequently."

I know it was mentioned in the thread before about he should've been a firefighter- I completely forgot he does become one.

I guess that's an ending, sure.

:smith:

Heck, we expected that.

I suppose not anymore. He's always got a job in the radio business, if you ask me.

Nope, we're done. Sorry, game, but your post-game content can stay unfinished. It's just more of the same, anyways.

You're not sucking me into your endless loop.

----

Anyways, that's it. We're done here, folks.

Thank loving goodness.

I'll be frank, this game sucks. It's tolerable for maybe a few hours or more if you ignore it's flaws- but anything remotely close to a good game should not require you to do so. This this gets aggressively mediocre for a long time, and eventually ducks down into a flaming trainwreck. I set out to cover a lot more of this game than I did, but I think I showed more than this game deserves. If there is more worth showing, I'm not the person do to it.

gently caress VC2. I understand now why so many people hate it, and that's the last thing I'll ever say about it.

I'm not usually this negative a person, and I'll admit this game brings out the worst in me.

But really, gently caress all that. It's in the past now.

Thanks for being here folks, I couldn't have done it without you. I'm moving onto brighter horizons now, ones hopefully filled with less bad anime tropes.

For the future I've a couple more ideas lined up, ones I'll think through a whole lot better this time. I've got a collection of old, obscure games I said I'd show off one day, but I've also had my interests piqued regarding a certain golfing game. Above that, there's a game I'd really like to show off someday that I think was far better than this was, though I'd have to do it in video...

Eh, for the time being, if you want to see any more of my content, I'm running a narrative LP of Harvest Moon 3 to try and do some creative writing again. I wouldn't say it's my best work nor will it be everyone's cup of tea, but it's probably what I'll be sticking to for the next month or two. I need to see how things pan out on my side, and I've got a couple other projects I should look at getting back to.

I'll be around. In the meantime, I suggest you take the nearest train, bus, or time machine and go anywhere else but Lanseal, 1937. If you've got a burning question on your mind, anything really, feel free to ask and I'll answer.

Cripes, now I can finally change my av. You don't know how long I've been waiting to.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 4, 2020

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Normally I'd thank the LPer for showing us the game but I don't think I'm that thankful. :v:

Nah just kidding, thanks for going through this.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

: Then try to defend this country... my home... with just those frail arms...

They already succeeded in doing that! Twice! You loving moron, do you not remember the war that happened 2 years ago? Or the other war that happened before that? So far Gallia is undefeated against the Empire and you could argue that it's also 2-0 against the Federation as well (this is the second time that Townshend has failed to pull Gallia into the Federation).

Also, I actually forgot just how much of a shot-for-shot remake of VC1 this final scene is. I knew that Baldren pulled a Maximilian, but I completely forgot about the "Destroy the big scary cannon" part and how Cordelia basically repeats her reinforcements thing from VC1.

Anyway, thanks for sticking out the LP until the end, even after myself and others in this thread had injected our poisons into your mind and reduced your opinion of this game from neutral to zero.

In commemoration:

I led Squad 7 to several unbelievable victories against the Empire and was responsible for recapturing basically every single strategic point in Gallia when it had been completely overrun. I also led Squad 7 as we defeated 3 Imperial Generals, including a Valkyria, and the Crown Prince. Then I shacked up with my true love.

I led Squad 422 as they carried out numerous Black Ops in the name of Gallia while the Gallian Army took all official credit. We defeated an Imperial Special Forces group that was attempting to invade from the south and saved the lives of basically every character in VC2. We then prevented the Imperial Special Forces from launching a Valkyrian Flame Ballistic Missile that would have completely annihilated Randgriz and everyone near it during the ending moments of VC1. Then I shacked up with my true love... and in a parallel reality I shacked up with my other true love.

I led Squad E during Operation Northern Cross, the largest military engagement in EWII where over 10 million lives where lost throughout the Federation and the Empire. I then led Squad E during Operation Cygnus and proved vital to its success. My Squad's contributions helped bring the Second Europan War to an end after forcing the Empire into an armistice. Then I shacked up with my true love.

I stumbled into a Military Academy with only barely passable grades and they made me the leader of the worst class in the school because nobody else wanted to do it! Then me and my friends chased away a bunch of racists from some backwater villages a few times before they decided to wreck our school and capture Randgriz. I stood around as Zeri came up with a plan to beat one of the racist generals, then she accidentally exploded herself when we poured water on her. Then we chased away some more racists while the Northern Gallian Army recaptured the capital and kicked out Baldren. But then! Then we were super important in stopping the racist leader guy from escaping because I told Cordelia about it and she showed up with a fleet of cruisers. Then I became a vagrant!

Yeah, th-that's great man... Who is this guy, exactly?

I think I saved his brother once.

I taught him a few of my orders... but I don't think he comprehended any of them.

Hey! Have you guys heard the good word of Leon? He's my brother and he's the greatest being to ever walk the earth! I have his notebook here, do you want to read it?

...Maybe I should shoot him now... before he reproduces.

Wouldn't that be murder?

Yeah, good luck prosecuting a ghost for that. According to the Gallian Government, I don't technically exist.

I shot myself in the gut to cure colour blindness!

Someone else's colour blindness.

Do it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's the end of the game? That's... kinda like how an anime or manga will just suddenly stop out of nowhere. Don't get me wrong, I don't want more of it but it ended with a wet fart (much like Avan's brains dribbling out of his mouth).

Thanks for suffering through this mess for our shared misery. :toot:

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

HardDiskD posted:

Normally I'd thank the LPer for showing us the game but I don't think I'm that thankful. :v:

Nah just kidding, thanks for going through this.

I don't think the brain cells that died from atrophy as result of taking in too much of this game are thankful to me either, but I salute them nonetheless.

I have to give my thanks as well for being part of the encouragement that made me take the fight to this game.

Psycho Knight posted:

They already succeeded in doing that! Twice! You loving moron, do you not remember the war that happened 2 years ago? Or the other war that happened before that? So far Gallia is undefeated against the Empire and you could argue that it's also 2-0 against the Federation as well (this is the second time that Townshend has failed to pull Gallia into the Federation).

Also, I actually forgot just how much of a shot-for-shot remake of VC1 this final scene is. I knew that Baldren pulled a Maximilian, but I completely forgot about the "Destroy the big scary cannon" part and how Cordelia basically repeats her reinforcements thing from VC1.

Anyway, thanks for sticking out the LP until the end, even after myself and others in this thread had injected our poisons into your mind and reduced your opinion of this game from neutral to zero.

Still, the only reasonable explanation is that Baldren's head is as empty as Avan's. He's just plain lost it.

And yeah, needless to say, I was not happy to find out the end of this game was just a remake of VC1's ending.

I owe you thanks for all the pushing to keep me at finishing this LP. If it wasn't for you and the others, I absolutely wouldn't have seen this to the end. I'll never be able to forgive this game for driving me this low. I mean, cripes, this game sent me into a brief depressive spiral it's that bad.

I wouldn't think of it as poison really, more a catalyst as I would've come to the same conclusion in time. It probably would've been a lot harder to deal with if my eyes hadn't been opened as soon as they were. I mean, I sincerely did not remember this game being as terrible as it is, and I'm still in disbelief I was heading into this with a neutral stance in mind.

Hell, if anything I've learned a lot about myself doing this. That's always something I can be thankful for.

Poil posted:

That's the end of the game? That's... kinda like how an anime or manga will just suddenly stop out of nowhere. Don't get me wrong, I don't want more of it but it ended with a wet fart (much like Avan's brains dribbling out of his mouth).

Thanks for suffering through this mess for our shared misery. :toot:

Yep, it just wraps up in no time flat. Doesn't really feel like much of a victory or that anything was accomplished. A wet fart is pretty much the best explanation for it.

Hell, it doesn't even feel like I won regarding the LP. It's over now and it's just kind of a "meh" feeling floating around.

I'd smash the UMD with a hammer, WKC style, but I'm cheap and my brother was the one who bought it years ago.

Anyways, thanks for sticking around through the joined misery and fan fiction. When I see Avan's face, the only thing I can think of now is crayons. Which is better than the mild irritation I'd normally get.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

So Town Watch C was Leon this whole time! What a twist!

Anyways, wow this game is a wreck and you are braver than the gallian troops to get through this.

Play something else that's fun. I'm excited to read your narrative lp of harvest moon.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Congrats for finishing this mess.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Wow. That was certainly an ending.

I do like that even Avan’s “Big Damm Heroes” speech is incoherent and meaningless

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

DelilahFlowers posted:

So Town Watch C was Leon this whole time! What a twist!

Anyways, wow this game is a wreck and you are braver than the gallian troops to get through this.

Play something else that's fun. I'm excited to read your narrative lp of harvest moon.

You see that's why I didn't use Town Watch C in the first update, it would've given things away.

I'm also playing other things far more fun that this presently. Then again, that's not a high bar to clear.

The HM3 LP's probably not for everyone, but it gets me back to writing creatively, something I've been in a slump on for months now. I've been a bit slowed on it as result of this game and some other stuff going on in my life presently, but I should be getting it back up to pace soon.

You'll be happy to know the tank's still named Sherman.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Congrats for finishing this mess.

:toot:

"Mess" is very much the appropriate word.

OOrochi posted:

Wow. That was certainly an ending.

I do like that even Avan’s “Big Damm Heroes” speech is incoherent and meaningless

Avan's only talent aside from being the story's assigned protagonist is his ineffectual speeches. Any charisma he seemed to have at the beginning (which wasn't much to begin with) became non-existent long ago.

Mind if I borrow the "Big Damm Heroes" for the LP Archive blurb?

Oh, and speaking of that, I was working on the blurb photo. I believe I gave it the respect it deserves, but I wanted to see what the thread thinks, one last time.

Enlarged:

Final Size:

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Very happy that the tank remained Sherman and we marched the racists to the sea. Very unhappy that it's because this game grinded you down so hard you forgot thread participation.

Wish the was a game of this style with the Civil War. And also not poo poo.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Honestly Fire Emblem Three Houses is the strictly better version of this game.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

DelilahFlowers posted:

Very happy that the tank remained Sherman and we marched the racists to the sea. Very unhappy that it's because this game grinded you down so hard you forgot thread participation.

Wish the was a game of this style with the Civil War. And also not poo poo.

I actually never forgot, which is the sad part. The thing is, with skipping combat, there wasn't much to show of the tank (Lavinia's story is post-game exclusive for some reason) nor of the team itself. It was at that point I just changed it to people voting to see character stories.

The game grinding me down is what made me sit back and stop taking participation so I could just get the drat thing done already. This game caused that much mental stress on me.

The thing is, I love thread participation. It puts the "Let's" in Let's Play and its part of what drew me from the LP Archive over to here and to try my own LPs. Hell, this is technically my second LP. Last Halloween I ran an extremely high participation thread for an old DOS game- it was a blast. However, it unfortunately comes with the downside most of the time that you can't progress without polling for votes first and can make having any form of a backlog very difficult. I was just that determined I had to get this game out of my life that I had to set aside votes to do so.

I'm still not happy about it, but I got the LP done.

As to a Civil War styled game, I'd imagine most developers are frightened of how much of a political and cultural bomb the subject is. It'd be easy to tank a company's reputation even with just a few small mistakes, not to mention you'd have to carefully write and inspect both sides of the Union/Confederate conflict or there would be hell to pay.

I'd rather not take the thread into discussing the topic, though. I used to live in one of the areas in which it remained a point of heated debate and goodness knows I've heard far too many arguments about it in my lifetime.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Honestly Fire Emblem Three Houses is the strictly better version of this game.

No kidding, the original name for the thread was going to be something along the line of "Valkyria Chronicles: Three Houses" or something that followed the tone of "we did it worse the first time".

I mean, I started this around the same time as Ragnar's Three Houses thread. Even then I like the title I went with, though it kind of sounds like I'm endorsing this game. Part of me wishes I changed it to something with a bit more vitriol.

Fun fact: my original draft is under the name "Wacky Anime School With Guns".

Behind the Scenes Facts That Nobody Asked For:

This screenshot and the other one with it from Update 10 is from Final Fantasy spin-off game Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates. It was the game I originally intended LP as a hybrid, but I remain terrible at doing videos. So I didn't.

The version of the same joke I did with Update 23 is from Neo Turf Masters.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Mind if I borrow the "Big Damm Heroes" for the LP Archive blurb?

Agh, phone posting strikes again! But sure, go for it. Definitely fits better than the correct spelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Congratulations are in order for having gotten through this.
It's unfortunate that the game bad-ness got to you this much, but you still managed to get through to the end and showcase all the ways this game failed to live up to its predecessor.