Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Oh hey, I played this game a long time ago, and it's just as dumb as I remember.

The Flying Twybil posted:

Why we'll never actually be able to use a Valkyria's power in combat is just baffling to me. Yeah, I know the whole "only for defense" thing, but is it so much to ask for to have something on par with the V2's?

In complete fairness, full-blown Valkyria with their lance/shield are presented as so far beyond what the V2s, or other artificial projects like Max had, can do it's not even funny. Like, Selvaria annihilates an entire line of tanks in seconds, and encounters with her just have her immune to everything (as helpfully cinematically illustrated by her just casually deflecting a tank round). And that's to say nothing about their insane speed too. You... can't realistically incorporate someone operating under those rules into standard gameplay alongside all the other troops you get and still make a reasonably balanced challenge. Maybe they could make some special one-off solo mission where you just get to stomp everything while controlling a Valkyria, but that's about it (actually, didn't you get to play as Valkyria Selvaria in the bonus mission of Behind Her Blue Flame?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'm just going to ignore everything else that's insanely stupid here in favor of JUST looking at the magically appearing warship. Hell, I'm even going to skip everything insanely stupid about said magically appearing warship doing exactly that, in favor of just what the hell this mission design was.

I mean, it's just so goddamn dumb. "Oh no, a squad or two of infantry with like a single tank in support is charging our fully-manned warship (because I refuse to call whatever that is an actual battleship - even a pre-dreadnought), whatever shall we do? Blow them the hell up with our main/secondary/tertiary battery, and/or just repel them with small caliber weapons from what's effectively our armored fortress? Nah, we'll send out troops to engage them on the waterfront for some reason."

Like, they were of course trying to emulate the whole Marmota feel, but the problem is you can't necessarily just pick up one scenario and drop it in another with virtually no changes. Marmota was both in a far more vulnerable position (capable of being surrounded, and boxed in by terrain), dealing with issues that aren't present here (dealing with the power and cooling issues caused by firing Valkof), and far more vulnerable to board for a huge host of reasons. Oh, and even though it's just you commanding Squad 7, storywise the assault against it is made clear to have been a multi-squad effort. Here, it's made clear it's a single bloody squad against the full personnel complement of a like 600'+ ship.

Plus, even aside from that this whole mission doesn't even make a drop of sense- "It's up to us to keep it occupied until the navy arrives!!!!" ...How? Wouldn't advancing troops (assuming the ship weaponry can't just deal the one loving squad advancing)... I dunno, SPEED UP their preparations to set sail by skipping non-critical checks due to the imminent danger and such? Meaning they're more likely to slip the tightening noose?