Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

As a bird lover I already hate that kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The anime high school crap could have worked if it was explicitly presented as a facade the kids were doing to distract them from almost being run over by a tank. The writing doesn't reflect this at all - you'd need to have events where the kids confess to Avan their fear of dying, and Avan's goofiness would be a deliberate attempt to make them go "hey, what a doofus" rather than " a tank nearly ran over Anisette" or "are they going to ethnically cleanse my family next."

Avan would be a well meaning young man who is in way over his head and is hiding behind a cheery facade to try to keep the gang calm.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The Flying Twybil posted:

See, this would be a much better turn for the game. It doesn't fix everything, but it would keep the tone to where you always know this stuff is serious. Avan already acts as psychiatrist to everyone around him when we get to later character events, and the potential system works well with it- this would make it all flow better. Only some of the character stories are relatively serious in nature, and an even lesser number are legitimately serious. You can predict which ones are which by how far on the edgy/silly scale every character is.

Avan's constant boisterous nature wouldn't be such a pain either, since you then see he's just playing it up for everyone.

Unfortunately, the writers would never go for such a plan because there's not enough Leon. We must be reminded at every turn that Leon was awesome, the bestest ever, and a totally important plot thread.

You could definitely have Leon in this. Make him a graduate of the college who disappeared (I think he was just a student?) and have Avan wish Leon was here to give him advice because Leon would know what to do. The idea that Avan idolizes his older brother is actually pretty normal, it's just that this game is stupid about expressing it. If you wanted to keep the dark tone of the game, have the official story be that Leon died stopping some horrible ethnic cleansing and Avan is spending time where he thinks no one can see him asking Leon's spirit to watch over him and the other kids. Maybe Cosette catches him doing it and you can have a scene where she talks to Zeri and he realizes something is off about the official story and that gives Avan hope at some dark hour. Obviously don't have the "drat, Leon walked on water! I want to walk on water and create loaves and fishes" dialog - or maybe do as part of Avan's goofball act - but you can definitely have Avan thinking he doesn't live up to his big brother and Leon would know what to do, while Avan does not but must pretend for the good of the class.

Then you can have the scene where they save Leon from some prison camp or something and Leon is legitimately impressed by Avan's leadership, and this would be the final thing that makes Avan come into his own as a leader of men.

I think I need to stop writing video game fanfiction.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The Flying Twybil posted:

The only case I could see them being useful is doing some sort of low unit challenge where that AP cost isn't that bad in respect to your constantly depleting AP pool. I never even used orders that much in VC1 aside from rescuing fallen units, so I guess I was missing out.

News on the next update:
I'll try to get the next update up tonight, if not, in the morning. My master plan at making a backlog has failed due to other things getting in the way, but there's only about two more updates left until we hit the next month. I've got a thing I'm working on that's probably important, and also the plans for a possible second LP provided I can find the time, and the former likes to chew up time for other stuff.

Oh, and my trusted mouse that served me for nearly six years finally seems to be dying on me, so that drastically slows down copy/paste operations since I'm now relegated to either a touchpad or a touchscreen. Huzzah!

In the meantime, I'd like to ask what the current opinion of the LP is. I know it's not master quality, and I'm just some random jerk on the internet, but I have been trying to keep this acceptable. I'm not one who does well sticking to one project for a long time, so this is partly me proving to myself that I can, but I do want it to be of some value in the end. If there's an improvement to be made somewhere, I'd like to make it.

Is it entertaining and/or mildly informative? Is there something you want me to change? I'd like to make sure Give me your opinion if you feel like it, no matter how harsh. I'll, uh, still be here taking screenshots and copy/pasting links.

I'm enjoying it so far. At least I can follow the plot without bonus updates!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is Helmut not a defector or is he a hostage?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

random vote for Anisette and some other people.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Random vote is good.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So I assume you can't headshot Princess Anime for her army to immediately lose morale and crumple?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

These are still mock battles at school or actual rebels?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

If Anisette and Avan get married I don't think those kids are gonna be smart enough to survive to adulthood.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I dunno if anyone will read my lovely 40k crossover but I'll post it anyway! Just out of town.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

What the hell is it with Japanese media and boob measuring?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I definitely feel you and can echo some of the comments here. You can probably just cut combat out for the most part (or pare it down) and quite frankly this game is in the awkward spot where it's not bad enough to be a constant echo of mock material but not great enough to be worth gushing over. It's bad, but it's not offensively bad.

Really, I wouldn't know how to go from here, because Avan is dumb, but he's predictably and repetitively dumb. I have yet to see an "oh poo poo, look at these new heights of idiocy" moment (yet), he's just kinda a dumb kid rather than a dumb world-destroying idiot.

There's a reason I do those little dialogue summaries, is what I'm saying.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The idea of Anisette organizing a concert isn't a bad one and could be done well, say, if Avan recruited Anisette to help distract the class from poo poo like Mischlitt's hometown.

Unfortunately these writers had their brain destroyed by paste and anime.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Morris who?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Probably cut combat tbh.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

These summaries have The Evil Royal Seal of Approval.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

How far through the game are we?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

If you're doing a hate LP you really need material to trash and this is just...kind of aggressively mediocre rather than WTF bad

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

If Avan starts screaming about Cisna I will lose my poo poo.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ah yes, teenagers making out, that great cure for racism.

Didn't the Empire already try the fake Valkyrie thing?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm confused. It doesn't sound like Alexis made her choice, it sounds like her father told her to dress that way to avoid...non existent gender prejudice? This military school is full of women. Juliana is a woman and class leader. Literally no one in game has expressed the sentiment that women are poor fighters, not even the bad guys.

Avan is still awful.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Man, I just caught up and that Avan shooting himself scene was amazingly bad.

You'd think Pinkhair McAnime would mention that in a taunt or something.

Also, Cosette, the guy literally shot himself in front of you to make a point, you really can't do better than this?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

That can't be LEON, he hasn't gotten that aristocratic blond lady pregnant yet!

All joking aside, this game as of these last updates has become awful enough that it's like something I'd let's play. It's like there's one self-aware writer whose aware of how loving awful the paint by numbers otaku pandering is and deliberately sabotages it by including scenes like Avan shooting himself or trauma inflicted colorblindness and the other writers are too incompetent to recognize satire and include it unironically. I will concede I wasn't expecting Zombie Leon under the armor, but I don't actually care because the game does nothing with it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I mean my summaries are heavily edited, so go nuts!

You'd think Avan would consider taking revenge on the woman who murdered his brother, or Zeri his waifu but gently caress it, nope.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Despite curing her colorblindness, Avan knows Cosette has "the cooties" which would distract him from righteous contemplation of LEON.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 29, 2020

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I vote you pick the worst and most annoying of the characters for the full VC2 experience. Anisette, Vicky, as many Avans as you can....

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You know how they could have salvaged this? It's really loving easy!

TheGreatEvilKing fanfic posted:

: Hey, dipshit, thanks for all the artificial laser genemod data you conveniently put on this boat. I'm leaving now. Without you. What, did you really think the Federation was going to let a bunch of failed racist coup leaders push them around? Give my regards to Avan.

: Curses! If only my generations of inbreeding hadn't left me terminally stupid!

: Poppin my ult lol you don't have the HP to stand up to my l33t build!

: Blizz nerf :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Honestly Fire Emblem Three Houses is the strictly better version of this game.