Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Combat prolly. Just show results/trolly game stuff/dumb AI screenshots. It'll cut most of the guff out and prolly save you gigs.

Also holy heck this is really intensely anime. Someone please put the curtain back on that child and call CPS on her science mom. Maybe a lead shield as well for the magic radiation poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Psycho Knight posted:

gently caress this game. gently caress it so hard. gently caress its loli Valkyria and especially gently caress the V2s.

2 years! 2 goddamn years to go from Maximilian requiring an entire power plant built into a battleship and possibly permanently loving up his body just to barely wield the power; to full production model field-deployed mobile Artificial Valkyria. This was done by a loving backwoods rebel faction (and whatever clandestine helpers they had) in the midst of rebuilding in the aftermath of a continent-wide war. Also, Maxi's prototype was destroyed. I want to remind people that (based on what we see throughout the VC games) Europa has yet to master the concept of flight.
I don't know much about this game besides it being an unexpected hit. I only watched VC1 and played and bit and didn't stick around. Heck the rest of my connection to the game series was skins in Company of Heroes 2 (oh God that games story too is a doozy)

I imagine that being an unexpected hit, a sequel was obligated to follow. But not being a big named series like Sanic, it was shunted off to be a draw for the PSP. Mobile game being smaller risk as well, in case the goose only laid one golden egg.

So smaller team, smaller writing crew, but same strenuous work schedule. Job was to pump out a sequel, keep mechanics, innovate in ways. But VC1 also had a good story that was a big draw. How does a smaller writing crew with a deadline evolve from there? Well, push things to 11. First game had anime elements, why not expound on those in twenty different ways. Shove in the tropes. Gotta market to that Otaku cash cow as well so throw in some big breasted women and a 1000 year old dragon nuclear alien. Shonen Jump MC's are popular, just make the lead a copy of them. Mascot too, but make it a bird-like creature (that thing is not a bird it's an alien too).

Everything in here so far is ripped from media tropes and it's done badly. No character feels like they have synergy together, which is astounding cuz it's a high school setting how do you mess it up this badly. Which reminds me, it feels like a God drat high school RP. Some characters are grouped together due to role and they have interaction, and there is a general association because of being in the same class. But it's isolated moments between one character and the Mc or a few characters. No overall relations beyond "same class". Which is again astounding given thst these people are God drat fighting again real enemies in life and death civil war.

God, this games story sucks.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

2 votes Raymond
2 votes Nahum
2 votes Vicky

Mostly to get some more color in the cast

I also vote to name the tank Sherman so we can properly burn through the racist rebel south.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Love the summaries. Love the golf. I expect more summaries and more golf. And summaries about golf.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

The Flying Twybil posted:

LP-wise, halfway through April.

This game goes all the way until December. :negative:

Edit: Update-wise, excluding bonus updates, this puts us at 14 more updates. That's including the one for the end of this month, and an extra one for the finale since it takes so drat long.

God save your immortal soul. Make sure you play something actually fun so you don't run mad down the moonlit streets.

Also, surprisingly okay thing with Helmut. I appreciate he didn't deviate from his character set up at the beginning. Would be nice to see his story progress further (and interacting with better written characters).

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

AweStriker posted:

I’m more shocked he remembered books exist at all...
He remembers because those were the things Leon read. Man isn't Leon an amazing dude?!

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Lunethex posted:

you know, in the art book for VC1 they talked about the original idea of Darcsens, wherein they weren't Darcsens but a whole other race, which were beastlike. Had tails and ears.
Love my minority ethnicity allegories being actual seperate species.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Psycho Knight posted:

Yeah, that was the original idea. Even with the finished game, Raita Honjou (character artist) suggests that this design are the ancient ancestors of the Darcsens (although this is likely just his wishful thinking. It's doubtful that the Producer/Director/Writers have made this part of the lore).

This is the page in question, from the VC1 Design Works. Apologies for the cellphone picture. This is a large 400 page book, so I can't open it enough to scan it properly.

Definitely not intentionally racist, but "descended from a separate species" is an old racist pseudo-science concept. E.G. Homo Erectus --> Black people

Honestly glad how the Darcsens were portrayed in VC1, it what stood out to me about the game. An identifiable group of (human) people being discriminated for millenia old myths that are just bullhokey.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

I figured she was painting flowers, I was baffled as to what the stance is specifically. Should've been more clear on that I guess.

...How are you actually painting with that many brushes in each hand? Is she doing it with the one supposedly in her mouth? It's got me at a loss, but I'll just chalk it down as hijinks.
Because all these characters are so shallow they have one trope on each of their TV tropes page. Moody Artiste Prodigy. Also worse is its the same brush, not different size brushes. I ain't a painter but I know that you need more than one type of brush if you want certain features. But again, the writers were just writing characters that hit one note to their trope.

Also while we all shred this game with a fine toothed cheese grater, I appreciate you playing this game and making it fun. This thread made me appreciate VC and want to get the other games. I have VC1 and will play that through. I like the art posted earlier, learning more background behind the game. While this one is a bad game, it still makes me appreciate the series more knowing that the good things introduced are kept while everything else gets better in the sequels.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Oh gods. I didn't know the game would handle it that badly. Yeah, I dont mind if you benched the "definitely not ainu" girl. Unfortunate cuz I wanted PoC on the team but if this is how they are handled then heckin oof

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

"Wow, generic anime high school thing happened".
If you started this thread with just this in the original post and nothing else I probably would have been more satisfied than experiencing the storybeats in this game.

Of course this thread is its own kind of fun, tearing this game apart.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Love to learn what the writers think of gender non conforming people :). At least it is not as bad as some other games looking at you dangaronpa.

At least we are past the accidental groping trope in this game right? One and done..... Right? This is totally not gonna happen between a certain dark haired man and a certain noticeably breasted women. Right? Please tell me I'm right God damnit.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Wow, its almost like the writers of this game only paid attention to the first games gameplay and markered over the lore in all the places that didn't fit their lovely anime high school setting.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Wow, missed a few days and see two updates and both a doozies. Tonal whiplash batman.

"Well, guess I'll look"

*clicks quarantined cursed scene*

"Ah, it starts out normally. How could it get worse"

*scrolls down to see alien child*

"Oh nooooooooooooooooooooo"

To be honest, its not as bad as it could have been. Juliana is the obvious victim of the pervy male audience, but being contained to her is quite amazing for an excessively bad anime game. Maybe they were bad at fanservice as well? If so, thank the lord. I've been cursed with witnessing worse beach/pool scene and this one scales well above them.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

That update felt like they were serving the full course meal all at once, trip and fall, and get all the food all over themselves. Also, the main ingredient of all the dishes is poo poo. Dog poo poo, gorilla poo poo, elephant poo poo.

Nothing here works. Leon reveal doesn't work because its been obvious that he's still alive, no hints to a possible "yeah he is loving dead". The player is led to believe he is alive the whole time on a "Secret mission" that the general won't (rightly btw but for story purposes needed something firmer than "shut up") tell Avan about. And lo and behold a mysterious supersoldier on the rebel side that has the same powers as genetic abomination girl who goes to our school HMMMMMM. Juliana doesn't work for all state reasons that I can't improve on either besides a later point. The headmaster being in cahoots with hosed up experimentation doesn't work because WE KNOW THE SCHOOL IS DOING THAT SINCE THE FIRST APPEARANCE OF FREAKY SCIENCE LADY. That isn't making a chekov's gun, that is doing a sleight of hand and showing the wrong card.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

The summaries are the best part of the LP. It makes slogging through the awful writing worth it to see your much more clever writing.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

See the cure to your "afflictions" is to man up! Trauma and chronic afflictions can be solved with very dangerous situations that induce growing panic and anxiety!

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Maybe I missed something in the updates, been skimming to read the much better summaries, but with all his talk of LEON there hasn't been any sort of reminiscing scene of him. No memory to a time between him and Avan, not even a story. Even in the incredibly bad setup from game start, it would have worked a bit better if we were given more idea of the person Leon was. Given reason to care just a bit. But no, we are shown him at the start of the game and over halfway through the game with nothing inbetween besides babbles from Avan on how good he was. God, this game is a failure of greater magnitude than I previously thought.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Wow, you could tell the devs had to finish this game in three weeks

I vote for Town Watch C, the true hero of this story.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

So Town Watch C was Leon this whole time! What a twist!

Anyways, wow this game is a wreck and you are braver than the gallian troops to get through this.

Play something else that's fun. I'm excited to read your narrative lp of harvest moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Very happy that the tank remained Sherman and we marched the racists to the sea. Very unhappy that it's because this game grinded you down so hard you forgot thread participation.

Wish the was a game of this style with the Civil War. And also not poo poo.