Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

We Were Here, We Were Here Too, and We Were Here Together are a series of co-operative puzzle/adventure games by Dutch developers Total Mayhem Games.

In these games, you and a friend play as characters trapped and separated from one another, and you must work together to solve puzzles and escape. Since you can't see what the other person is seeing, you must rely on your communication skills to describe the clues you find in order to figure out solutions.

Originally, this thread was intended for the first three games in the series, but We Were Here Forever was announced around the time we finished them, and it has recently come out. I figured I would just extend this thread to include that game as well, instead of start up a new one.

My friend Michael (P0LARMic) and I are going to put our heads together and try not to gently caress up terribly as we attempt these three games. As always, Part 0 is an introductory video containing even more information.

Role Reversal
We Were Here - April 15th, 2022
We Were Here Too - April 27th, 2022
We Were Here Together - April 29th, 2022
We Were Here Forever (Part 1) - April 19th, 2023
We Were Here Forever (Part 2) - April 26th, 2023
We Were Here Forever (Part 3) - May 17th, 2023

Total Mayhem Games released a series of videos on YouTube that continue to develop the lore, and tease what to expect from We Were Here Forever.

Chronicles of Castle Rock
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I like p0larmic and support him and his sassy friends

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

So here's some things I would love to hear from you guys about :

1. Had you heard about these games before this LP?
2. What do you think of the game?
3. How do you feel about the way I chose to edit the different perspectives for the videos?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
No.
Still making my opinions about the game.
It work, actually! The screen-in-screen lets us know that we're not missing anything. Though, have you considered doing side-by-side, or would that break aspect ratio too much?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

1 - I hadn't heard about these at all.
2 - This seems interesting so far, but I'm wondering just how punishing it's going to be in the future. The timed segment with no real warning didn't seem cool and I worry that there may be other points like that. Though I would hope that since there are checkpoints, you will get a clean slate in terms of what you need to know.
3 - The LP format so far is great, especially when there are things that only the viewer can notice. It's fun to see, for instance, pictures that you're both going to have to describe to each other and know how hard that'll be. I would also say that if it's reasonably easy to do split-screen at times it might help, but I don't know how much extra trouble that would be. Again I'd only do it sparingly, and the same amount of information could probably be delivered using some quick switches instead.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I tried playing this game and it was fun at first, but then you get regular scenes where its like THUNK you're dying now! You have five minutes. Figure out what in this area you can even interact with, and what you're supposed to be doing with it, then communicate with the other person what they're supposed to be doing. Once you've done that, have them watch a two minute long video that tells you what to do - hope you have the time left to watch it! Oh also your screen is being blacked out so now you can't even see the things you're meant to be clicking

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

It work, actually! The screen-in-screen lets us know that we're not missing anything. Though, have you considered doing side-by-side, or would that break aspect ratio too much?

Kangra posted:

I would also say that if it's reasonably easy to do split-screen at times it might help, but I don't know how much extra trouble that would be. Again I'd only do it sparingly, and the same amount of information could probably be delivered using some quick switches instead.

I had thought about split-screen, but my concerns were on how to effectively utilize the screen real estate balanced with effectively showing off the player perspectives. The possibilities seemed to be;

1. Each video takes up roughly 25% of the screen.
2. Each video takes up half the screen, cropping half of the view out.
3. Each video takes up half the screen, disproportionately resized to show the whole view.
4. Picture-in Picture, alternating views to focus on which one I feel is most important at the time.

#4 seemed like the ideal method, though I do flirt with #2 at the start of each video, so you can kind of see if it's something that would be an enjoyable way to watch or not.

CountryMatters posted:

I tried playing this game and it was fun at first, but then you get regular scenes where its like THUNK you're dying now! You have five minutes. Figure out what in this area you can even interact with, and what you're supposed to be doing with it, then communicate with the other person what they're supposed to be doing. Once you've done that, have them watch a two minute long video that tells you what to do - hope you have the time left to watch it! Oh also your screen is being blacked out so now you can't even see the things you're meant to be clicking

Finding out some puzzles were timed, and there were game overs was quite a surprise, but one we (hopefully) kept in mind moving forward.

I'd say that, for the most part, the setbacks from the timed sections/failures isn't too bad, because now you get to go again with more knowledge and understanding of how things work. The only time it's annoying, is that there isn't a checkpoint after every puzzle, so if you fail at some parts, you're set back farther than I feel is necessary. But overall, it adds a good sense of urgency and strong emphasis on being able to communicate with one another. I have to say, it was really eye-opening to see Michael's perspective when editing these. I had a nice big room with all this stuff to look at, and he was in these smaller deathtraps waiting for me to save him while I was looking around at all the things I had to play with. I'M SORRY MICHAEL I DIDN'T KNOW. :(

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This is really upsetting to watch. :allears:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

This is really upsetting to watch. :allears:

We're not THAT bad, are we? :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

There's only one more video for this game. We started recording the sequel, and it appears to be about twice as long (if we're lucky).

It's also does a very nice balancing act in presenting more of what we saw in the first game while also introducing new stuff that feels right at home. It definitely feels like they took what they had for the first game and refined it, so we're having a lot of fun with the new experience, and that will hopefully carry on through to the end and into the third game.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 14, 2019

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm sort of surprised this will be over so soon, but given what the librarian has to work with, there can't be too much to go through or it'd be really tough to figure out what will apply next.

It's interesting to see the sort of communication that best conveyed the chess moves to make. The game shown is what's known as a "Scholar's Mate" (meaning a fast mate where the moves are okay up to a point and someone who isn't paying close attention might not catch the danger, as opposed to the "Fool's Mate" where Black almost has to be intentionally losing as fast as possible).

In modern notation, it'd be this:
1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 b6 3.Qe3 Nc5?? 4.Qxf7#

This uses the same letter & number grid along the side as seen in the film. The moving piece is indicated with a letter for its name (pawns don't get one, though) and an 'x' if capturing. The # means mate and the ?? means a terrible move; here b6 is kind of a bad move but not a game-losing blunder. They are read with the name of the piece and the square it moves to, e.g. 'Queen to e3'.

But in older times you'd use a notation a little like what you came up with at first when talking about the relative positions of pieces. It indicates where pieces are based on the viewpoint of that side, and relative to each piece's starting position. Thus the first two moves are identically noted, since both pawns moved to the fourth space on their King's file. They would be read using the descriptions given.

1.P-K4 P-K4 ("pawn to king four")
2.B-QN4 P-QN3 ("bishop to queen's knight four", "pawn to queen's knight three")
3.Q-KB3 N-QB3 ("queen to king's bishop four", "knight to queen's bishop three")
4.QxP++ ("queen takes [king's bishop] pawn - mate")

Looking forward to how the next game in the series goes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I can only hope that the next game will help resolve the cliffhanger of this one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So what did the king actually say at the end, there? You kinda talked over him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

So what did the king actually say at the end, there? You kinda talked over him.

It's indecipherable to me. The audio is altered so much, I don't think you're supposed to be able to understand it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I've been dealing with a lot of stuff going on lately, so recordings have been a luxury. Sorry things have taken such a long break, and I do not know how frequently I will be able to update moving forward, but we're pushing through.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Welcome back! And good luck.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Out of curiosity, what's the quality of the in-game radio?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's good to see that this is still, uh, here. I think it's a good thing to have some of the knowledge of the first game (such as that some puzzles are timed, for example), as I think you're doing a better job of knowing what to look for and how to deal with it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is still going. Michael and I just haven't had a good opportunity to keep recording because of that whole "life" thing (this is the ONE TIME I will admit it's mostly my fault though), but hopefully things are slowing down enough that we can work out another session or two.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

After an extended hiatus, we're back. To make a long story short, my internet has been terribly unreliable for almost the entire year, and my ISP has been really lovely about getting around to fixing it. This made playing a co-op game online just a tiny bit difficult, which is why I haven't been able to update since March. But we're kinda sorta back now!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Really glad to see this back in action, I missed it a fair bit.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm glad to see this LP return.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Truly some terrifically birdbrained plans you have going. I'm sort of concerned about the difficulty. I would have expected with the fact that those were stained-glass windows, that they'd be mirrored for one player, so that all your left-facing kings and right-laying queens would end up flipped.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Now that I'm finished with THUG2, I can start putting more focus back into my other LPs.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

We're putting together a bonus video of us going back through the game to get all the levers, which we did before someone said all areas open back up and we could get the ones we missed instead of starting all over. But ah well.

Also a 4th game was announced. We're never leaving this castle.

Edit: Technical issue. Will reupload and update links tonight.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 31, 2021

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Fixed video should be up and running now. Sorry about that.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

Great watch.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hi! We're back. Things took longer for getting together to record. Things took longer to edit. Life sucks. But we're here. We WERE here. Hahaha get it?

We finished all three games now, so it's just a matter of editing the videos together. The plan after that's all done? Well, they announced a 4th game due out by the end of the year, so we're probably in for that one when it comes out. We're also thinking about some co-op streams where we replay the games and switch roles, and that's also where we'll get the secret ending for the second game.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 27, 2021

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Stoked to see this back! This is definitely looking a lot more chill than the others in the series, which does make it easier to just focus on solving stuff even though sometimes the tension was fun where the puzzles weren't too hard to solve on a first pass in the earlier games.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Re: the books on the floor, you basically brute-forced that part of the puzzle. 5 -> 1 on your side for instance was supposed to be cross-referenced against Michael's charts to determine that C3 connects to D2 (which are listed next to 5 and 1 respectively). So you didn't miss anything there, no need to go back just for that.

e: of course you covered it at the end of the video :doh:

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 14, 2021

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, once I saw Michael's side of the video and saw that the way the numbers were written matched the way they were on the books, it all clicked.

We're just so good at games now that we don't even need all the clues to solve puzzles anymore. Definitely not going to be any problems for either of us in any later parts. Nope...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

We... Had some struggles.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The next few episodes are super-sized due to a combination of sometimes being really dumb, and sometimes just having a lot of puzzle to actually get through.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Another super-sized episode, but this time, it's filled with actual progress.

(I still don't know how you're supposed to properly communicate that clock puzzle, though)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

There's only one video left! We'll finally be free! (until the next game comes out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

We're finally done! For now, at least. The fourth game is still listed as coming out this year, but I'm not exactly confident of this anymore, since they were still in alpha testing as of last month. Regardless, when it does come out, I will make a new thread for that game instead of continuing off of this one, as I'm going to send it off to the archives.

Sorry it took so long to get through all of this. Hopefully things will progress a bit more quickly for my next projects.