Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

1 - I hadn't heard about these at all.
2 - This seems interesting so far, but I'm wondering just how punishing it's going to be in the future. The timed segment with no real warning didn't seem cool and I worry that there may be other points like that. Though I would hope that since there are checkpoints, you will get a clean slate in terms of what you need to know.
3 - The LP format so far is great, especially when there are things that only the viewer can notice. It's fun to see, for instance, pictures that you're both going to have to describe to each other and know how hard that'll be. I would also say that if it's reasonably easy to do split-screen at times it might help, but I don't know how much extra trouble that would be. Again I'd only do it sparingly, and the same amount of information could probably be delivered using some quick switches instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm sort of surprised this will be over so soon, but given what the librarian has to work with, there can't be too much to go through or it'd be really tough to figure out what will apply next.

It's interesting to see the sort of communication that best conveyed the chess moves to make. The game shown is what's known as a "Scholar's Mate" (meaning a fast mate where the moves are okay up to a point and someone who isn't paying close attention might not catch the danger, as opposed to the "Fool's Mate" where Black almost has to be intentionally losing as fast as possible).

In modern notation, it'd be this:
1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 b6 3.Qe3 Nc5?? 4.Qxf7#

This uses the same letter & number grid along the side as seen in the film. The moving piece is indicated with a letter for its name (pawns don't get one, though) and an 'x' if capturing. The # means mate and the ?? means a terrible move; here b6 is kind of a bad move but not a game-losing blunder. They are read with the name of the piece and the square it moves to, e.g. 'Queen to e3'.

But in older times you'd use a notation a little like what you came up with at first when talking about the relative positions of pieces. It indicates where pieces are based on the viewpoint of that side, and relative to each piece's starting position. Thus the first two moves are identically noted, since both pawns moved to the fourth space on their King's file. They would be read using the descriptions given.

1.P-K4 P-K4 ("pawn to king four")
2.B-QN4 P-QN3 ("bishop to queen's knight four", "pawn to queen's knight three")
3.Q-KB3 N-QB3 ("queen to king's bishop four", "knight to queen's bishop three")
4.QxP++ ("queen takes [king's bishop] pawn - mate")

Looking forward to how the next game in the series goes.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's good to see that this is still, uh, here. I think it's a good thing to have some of the knowledge of the first game (such as that some puzzles are timed, for example), as I think you're doing a better job of knowing what to look for and how to deal with it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Truly some terrifically birdbrained plans you have going. I'm sort of concerned about the difficulty. I would have expected with the fact that those were stained-glass windows, that they'd be mirrored for one player, so that all your left-facing kings and right-laying queens would end up flipped.