Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

iospace posted:

At the end I was all "gently caress it, I'm making you all suffer!"

In the world of Golf It, there is only suffering. And spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, that course looked terrible too. Requiring so much precision in a game where you can't be precise, and not letting you see where you need to go half the time...

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Us eating our punishment, theres another video of Khalid almost throwing up.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/503022789

Not sure how to save it :(

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Make it a highlight or export it to YouTube.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
ROUND TWO CHALLENGE

Game: 100ft Robot Golf

100ft Robot Golf is made by SA User, notable LPer and forums mom Panzer Skank at No Goblin Studios. Play golf with 100 foot tall robots. gently caress up everyone else. Hit buildings with a stick.

Commentary by the McElroy goblins.

Time:Saturday at 6 CST.

Special Guest: Kaubocks.

Condition for Entry/Grandma to Buy You The Game So We Can Play

1) $10 donation to Southern Poverty Law Center, provide proof; or
2) Go to your local Chinese buffet and take pictures for me.

Wager:

I'm open.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 7, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Also Fuzzinator made Spam mac and cheese. He loved it.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Image links to Golf It!, not 100ft Robot Golf

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I never thought anyone would click my links

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GrandmaParty posted:

I never thought anyone would click my links

I mean, you do play golf at the links, so...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Surely you have to play Golf? - the premiere avant garde minimalist multiplayer golfing experience.

From the FAQ:
Q. What is that on top of the golfers head?
A. If you pressed 4 in the driving range, then its a gun. If you pressed 5, it's a Utah teapot. And If you pressed 6 it's Blue Shirt from Ken's stage of Super Street Fighter 2X: Grand Master Challenge.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

GrandmaParty posted:

Also Fuzzinator made Spam mac and cheese. He loved it.

The gently caress. Is that box Kraft Mac & Cheese with spam?

nah. nah. you a box of rotini pasta, two jars of Ragu double cheddar cheese sauce, and a can of spam.

cook the pasta as per instructions, heat the cheese sauce in a sauce pot on low, stirring occasionally. Cook the spam.

Combine the three elements and get fat eating delicious spam mac & cheese.

Play this, but try to get the Apple II GS version because it has the best music of all versions

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/will-harveys-zany-golf-kg

Dr.Smasher fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 9, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm editing 100 foot robot golf for publication hopefully tomorrow.

But I bought four copies of Vertiginous golf for $6. Also, I hate steam punk.

Loathe Steampunk

Tuesday, 9 CST.

First responder who's interested gets a free copy.

Challenge: Eat a ham sandwich, it only cost me $1.50.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wow that looks, and sounds, absolutely awful. "How do I make us sound like robots?" "I dunno, just put enough distortion in that it'll make your ears bleed."

Zushio
May 8, 2008
The one golf game I own!

Also, is that a premade sandwich or one of your own making? Cause if your homemade ham sandwich costs more than $1.50 worth of ingredients it better be like 6 inches high and tonnes of high end toppings. My local deli I can buy enough ham and bread for 10 sandwiches for under 10 bucks.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Zushio posted:

The one golf game I own!

Also, is that a premade sandwich or one of your own making? Cause if your homemade ham sandwich costs more than $1.50 worth of ingredients it better be like 6 inches high and tonnes of high end toppings. My local deli I can buy enough ham and bread for 10 sandwiches for under 10 bucks.

Oh no, it was only to get a free copy of the game. Want in for Tuesday night?

The fancy ham at my deli costs $20.00 a pound! That's like at least $2.00 in ham per even a skimpy sandwich.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I would enjoy playing, I assume I should find you in your Discord.

Also $20.00/lbs is some some fancy rear end ham. That's more than double my go to Black Forest Ham.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Zushio posted:

I would enjoy playing, I assume I should find you in your Discord.

Also $20.00/lbs is some some fancy rear end ham. That's more than double my go to Black Forest Ham.

I will be in my discord.

https://www.nimanranch.com/our-meats/hams/

LOOK AT THESE BEAUTIFUL HAMS.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I work Tuesday :smith:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Golf With Grandma Episode 3- 100 Foot Robot Lobbies

Ah hell.

I was using the original post as a template and I deleted it.

100 Foot Robot Golf is fun but Janky. Kaubocks cheats.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 13, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Also more games should let me stand in the way of other people's shots.

Two other things I forgot to mention:

1) Blocking a shot with your person is called the Kuvo maneuver;

2) You can press a button to hear Geop tell bad golf jokes in the intro screen.

So uh

Hypothetically if we did a Neo Turf Masters tournament on Fightcade next week, who would be down to clown?

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 12, 2019

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
My lack of a PC is really starting to bum me out.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Never having played Neo Turf Masters and my entire experience playing vidya golf being playing Albatross 18/Pangya until I hit the pay2win wall forever ago, I'd be down if it's at a Euro-sensible time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

GrandmaParty posted:

2) You can press a button to hear Geop tell bad golf jokes in the intro screen.

i changed my mind this game sucks

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

AltaBrown posted:

My lack of a PC is really starting to bum me out.

I've got Everybody's Golf on PS4 coming up if that helps.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

GrandmaParty posted:

I've got Everybody's Golf on PS4 coming up if that helps.

It just might!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Golf With Grandma Episode 3.5- 100 Foot Robot Bonus

Because these boys were very fun.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Golf with Grandma Episode 4: Golf with Gears

God I hate steampunk so much.

Guests:

Snoogans
CosmicAfro
DiscountCleric

poo poo in the game that could have been done better but wasn't:

1) Weapons after completing the course;
2) Not having loving hummingbirds clacking their wings constantly;
3) Music;

Why did I have to be good at this one?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Also, Lobsterbutt lost another game that I didn't record and ate this.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

GrandmaParty posted:

God I hate steampunk so much.
There's a reason you can find it sometimes referred to as "cogservatism". Merely parroting the aesthetic without engaging the underlying issues is naive as hell and oh so common.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

NGDBSS posted:

There's a reason you can find it sometimes referred to as "cogservatism". Merely parroting the aesthetic without engaging the underlying issues is naive as hell and oh so common.

Even this game is an aesthetic shitshow compared to something like... I dunno, Girl Genius? I don't actually know of that many steampunk properties.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Solitair posted:

Even this game is an aesthetic shitshow compared to something like... I dunno, Girl Genius? I don't actually know of that many steampunk properties.
To be fair, Girl Genius instead bills itself as "gaslamp fantasy" - very much about fooling around with the ethos of adventure and pulp fiction.

If you're looking for actual steampunk properties, try China Mieville's Bas-Lag trilogy or his goofball YA novel Railsea. I've also heard that The Difference Engine was appropriate but I've only seen the plot summary. :shrug:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

To be fair, Girl Genius instead bills itself as "gaslamp fantasy" - very much about fooling around with the ethos of adventure and pulp fiction.

If you're looking for actual steampunk properties, try China Mieville's Bas-Lag trilogy or his goofball YA novel Railsea. I've also heard that The Difference Engine was appropriate but I've only seen the plot summary. :shrug:

Railsea is a great rec, yeah. A fun retelling of Moby Dick with trains and moles in the place of ships and whales. Lots of great worldbuilding and character stuff in a single, self-contained story. It’s a quick in and out book that’s not weighed down by the gravity well that’s kind of accreted around the Bas-Lag books.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sunless Skies feels like proper steampunk to me, even while half of it is actually gothic horror. Half of the game has a strong "humans are the real monsters" feel, with big focus on class divisions and how the setting's technology is used to oppress the poor and so on. You just have to work around the other half of the game being "actually the real monster is that thing with all the eyes".

From that quick look Vertiginous Golf didn't seem all that bad. Most of the holes were pretty reasonable, though the later ones looked like they were very luck-based with all the parts moving your ball around. You almost got a hole-in-one at the end through blind luck!
Kind of weird to me that you apparently design your own character then they don't actually appear in the game itself.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

NGDBSS posted:

This is the first I've heard of the underlying issues because I've been under the assumption that it was a purely aesthetic issue.

"Haha, I glued gears to my hat, steampunk!"

What underlying issues are we talking?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Sunless Skies feels like proper steampunk to me, even while half of it is actually gothic horror. Half of the game has a strong "humans are the real monsters" feel, with big focus on class divisions and how the setting's technology is used to oppress the poor and so on. You just have to work around the other half of the game being "actually the real monster is that thing with all the eyes".

From that quick look Vertiginous Golf didn't seem all that bad. Most of the holes were pretty reasonable, though the later ones looked like they were very luck-based with all the parts moving your ball around. You almost got a hole-in-one at the end through blind luck!
Kind of weird to me that you apparently design your own character then they don't actually appear in the game itself.

The physics are floaty and feel inconsistent. In my case the difference between "This won't make it off the conveyors", "This will clear the conveyor and stop on the flat square past it" and "This will clear the conveyor but hit the back wall of the flat square past it and ricochet back into the conveyor" was practically zero. And then Grandma set off a shield (bomb?) and launched my teal rear end back into suffering.

I think you're allowed to use the obnoxious bird to scout the hole, but the holes are just so busy it isn't really helpful to do so. Even if you planned out a path for one of the more convoluted holes, one mishit or weird bounce and you're stuck going a totally different direction.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
ROUND FOUR CHALLENGE

Game: NEO TURF MASTERS.

Neo Turf Masters loving rules and might just be the best game we play.

It's an extremely fast-paced golf game with crisp neo geo graphics, great music, and a ridiculous announcer that you'll be quoting constantly.

It's also hard as balls.

Here's the hiccup: online multiplayer is only available through Fightcade. Luckily I purchased this game and have licenses for it.

To uh

Play on Fightcade with a different zip file.

But I still gave them money, god drat it.

Time: Saturday at 2 PST.

Special Guest: Kuvo. If you want the crown, you have to take it from the king.

First Responder: ChaosArgate called this poo poo weeeeks ago.

Condition for Entry/Grandma to Buy You The Game So We Can Play

One Jack in the Box Spicy Nacho Chicken Sandwich.

Or one of their tacos that are filled with catfood.

Wager:

I'm open. Let's dance.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 20, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

GrandmaParty posted:

This is the first I've heard of the underlying issues because I've been under the assumption that it was a purely aesthetic issue.

"Haha, I glued gears to my hat, steampunk!"

What underlying issues are we talking?

The social downsides of the early industrial revolution era like robber barons, colonialism and child labor, probably. Compare steampunk to cyberpunk, the latter of which had a better track record of extrapolating corporation-friendly politics into a dismal future before it also fell into the trap of being enamored with its aesthetics in the mid-90s.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Solitair posted:

The social downsides of the early industrial revolution era like robber barons, colonialism and child labor, probably. Compare steampunk to cyberpunk, the latter of which had a better track record of extrapolating corporation-friendly politics into a dismal future before it also fell into the trap of being enamored with its aesthetics in the mid-90s.
This. A lot of the aesthetic is about glorifying, intentionally or otherwise, those who sat atop the hierarchy of an imagined bygone era. And I do mean "imagined" - the actual Victorians and other Europeans of the time didn't have this hangup about rejecting function for form. Sometimes a given work will merely be clueless; other times it might attempt to justify some White Man's Burden bullshit.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

This one is gonna be a four part series. Because Neo Turf Masters is so loving good.

1) Great NeoGeo colors;
2) Great NeoGeo music;
3) Fast-paced golf;
4) Hot fuckin' dads.

Joined by Chaosargate, Kuvo, and Geoff (a ghost), we're doing a semifinals.

No one wanted to do bets but I would have eaten dog food if i had to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i shoulda played a warmup round