Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

NGDBSS posted:

There's a reason you can find it sometimes referred to as "cogservatism". Merely parroting the aesthetic without engaging the underlying issues is naive as hell and oh so common.

Even this game is an aesthetic shitshow compared to something like... I dunno, Girl Genius? I don't actually know of that many steampunk properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

GrandmaParty posted:

This is the first I've heard of the underlying issues because I've been under the assumption that it was a purely aesthetic issue.

"Haha, I glued gears to my hat, steampunk!"

What underlying issues are we talking?

The social downsides of the early industrial revolution era like robber barons, colonialism and child labor, probably. Compare steampunk to cyberpunk, the latter of which had a better track record of extrapolating corporation-friendly politics into a dismal future before it also fell into the trap of being enamored with its aesthetics in the mid-90s.