Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Napster sucks, use scour exchange, it has videos and can do mesh downloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

When you're at Microcenter, be sure to pick up a retail copy of the hot new OS BeOS. Also, pick up a book with printed linux documentation in case you have a problem with your one computer and don't have any way to go on the internet to check the FAQs.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Raluek posted:

My recollection is that +r didn’t close the session, so you could add more data later. Can’t erase data like a -rw, but it’s not one-and-done like a -r

it's both. +r had that packet writing stuff that camcorders and such used, and it also had the ability to bitset to dvd-rom. hence the better option if your burner supported bitsetting.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm tired of all these johnny-come-lately commodore "programmers". my atari 1200XL is more capable and has a much better software library.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
alternating current is far too dangerous to form the basis of widespread electrical distribution networks

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
god the father is incomparable, and it is simple blasphemy to suggest that his son, who took on human flesh, could be consubstantial with him. prepare the stake, brethren.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

god the father is incomparable, and it is simple blasphemy to suggest that his son, who took on human flesh, could be consubstantial with him. prepare the stake, brethren.

sir this is a CompUSA

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Poopernickel posted:

OS/2 Warp's true multitasking is amazing guys, gonna crush win 3.11 for sure

came here to post this

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
this “metal” stuff is clever sure but it’ll never be cheap enough to be more than a curiosity. we’ll always need qualified flint knappers

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Soricidus posted:

alternating current is far too dangerous to form the basis of widespread electrical distribution networks

wishing I had a DC power network in my house right now since almost everything besides major appliances is converting AC to DC.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spectravideo? More like SpectravIDIOT. Commodore is the computer of the republic.

e: What the gently caress even is a "ZX Spectrum" lmao?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
just lol at microsoft "licensing" dos instead of selling it to ibm. they'll never make any money that way since pc's are doomed

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ed is the standard text editor

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

went to microcenter today and they still have a massive shelf of burnable media, even these mini DVDs i guess for camcorders??

i haven't looked lately, but a couple of years ago the burnable media shelf in micro center still had a lone hddvd-r disc for the one hddvd-r drive that ever existed (iirc it was only available in some toshiba laptop)

gonna have to hang up the modem now so i can burn a $5 cd at 1x speed with the ol' scsi burner while praying that it doesn't randomly fail

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:pwn:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

good works are necessary but not sufficient for salvation

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

power botton posted:

change my mind

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

u gotta spend a lot on apple products op

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

power botton posted:

power botton posted:

change my mind

if we’re talking christianity here then the penitent thief is a probable counterexample

if we’re talking real life then both salvation and good works are impossible under capitalism

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
This is wrong thinking. NNTP is an internet protocol and yEnc should play by the rules of internet protocols. It does not and that's why it is bad. You can't break building codes to build your house and justify it because you saved a few bucks. "Hey...it seems to not collapse" "it hasn't caught on fire yet!"

In particular, there is no yenc RFC and yenc does not use MIME which is the agreed upon standard for encoding binary attachments. Yes, uuencode is a gross grandfathered format, but it is still 7 bit clean.

Releasing problematic improperly specified encodings that break internet protocols is not being a good citizen. "it works" is a poor justification. it does not work, and breaks compliant software.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Breaking user programs simply isn't acceptable. We know that people use old binaries for years and years, and that making a new release doesn't mean that you can just throw that out. You can trust us.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

mystes posted:

When you're at Microcenter, be sure to pick up a retail copy of the hot new OS BeOS. Also, pick up a book with printed linux documentation in case you have a problem with your one computer and don't have any way to go on the internet to check the FAQs.

how is this an argument. this isnt the retro advice thread.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

The musical genre "Heavy metal" is deceptive: the metal in a bronze gamelan is far heavier.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Reckless hooligan youths on bicycles will cause the downfall of civilization before the century has turned, mark my words

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Reckless hooligan youths on bicycles will cause the downfall of civilization before the century has turned, mark my words

hi retro shaggar

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lcds might not have the image quality and response time of CRTs but its nice not hauling the 100 pound beast to lan parties

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
ugh no. lcds suck. hope you enjoy your ghosting and stuck pixels!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
SSDs are bad because if they fail (and they will!) your data can not be recovered. this is why a good, dependable 7200rpm rotational disk is the best option in this, the year of our lord, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The_Franz posted:

i haven't looked lately, but a couple of years ago the burnable media shelf in micro center still had a lone hddvd-r disc for the one hddvd-r drive that ever existed (iirc it was only available in some toshiba laptop)

gonna have to hang up the modem now so i can burn a $5 cd at 1x speed with the ol' scsi burner while praying that it doesn't randomly fail

i thought the scsi burners were supposed to be more reliable than the IDE burners because the scsi devices incurred a substantially lower hit on CPU? or am i misremembering?

i do remember being king nerd for a while when i jumped in late on cd burners and got one of the first models that had the technology that let it stall the burn without ruining it. think plextor called it "burn-proof" or something like that.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i thought the scsi burners were supposed to be more reliable than the IDE burners because the scsi devices incurred a substantially lower hit on CPU? or am i misremembering?

SCSI burners could do DMA and command queuing while IDE controllers were pretty dumb and needed constant babysitting. if the cpu was busy with something else they could miss a deadline and your disc was coastered.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

SCSI burners meant the likelyhood of a bad disk because windows defrag started was 10% instead of 75%

also dual-cpu desktops are the future, you can get a 440bx board with two slot 1 sockets for future upgrading for only 50-100 dollars more than a single one. why anybody would settle for a single CPU desktop- especially considering Windows NT 5 and Mac OS 10 will both have SMP support- is beyond me. I hear the G4 is going to get a dual cpu update next summer too

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
sure, clock-for-clock athlons may beat pentium 4’s now, but this is intel’s first run at their new architecture. how’s amd gonna compete in a few years when we’ve got 6GHz pentium 6’s and they’re still hocking their knockoff pentium 3’s?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Laslow posted:

sure, clock-for-clock athlons may beat pentium 4’s now, but this is intel’s first run at their new architecture. how’s amd gonna compete in a few years when we’ve got 6GHz pentium 6’s and they’re still hocking their knockoff pentium 3’s?
In this universe we'd probably all be using itanium now.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

itanium will dominate datacenter within a few years as it will surely be discovered that the deep speculation employed by the competition causes side-channel security problems

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SRQ posted:

SCSI burners meant the likelyhood of a bad disk because windows defrag started was 10% instead of 75%

also dual-cpu desktops are the future, you can get a 440bx board with two slot 1 sockets for future upgrading for only 50-100 dollars more than a single one. why anybody would settle for a single CPU desktop- especially considering Windows NT 5 and Mac OS 10 will both have SMP support- is beyond me. I hear the G4 is going to get a dual cpu update next summer too

pretty sure NT 4 already supported SMP

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
anything more than two speakers is a scam because you only have two ears

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

but not direct x (past 5) so it's not a viable consumer desktop system DUH.

I MEAN DUH MAN

DO YOU EVEN READ INDUSTRY MAGS

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I can hear the frequencies in LPs that CDs just don’t have. only analog can fully contain the richness of my music

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

pretty sure NT 3.1 already supported SMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
can confirm running nt4 on my dual processor pentium pro machine at work back in the day