Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm going to go with... No Poison, Kill, place down traps and barricade. not much they can do about the oiled ammo even if they notice it now, and if we don't poison the food I don't think it matters if they find a dead guard and that's one less person to fight us tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

No poison, kill, bear traps outside, barricade windows, make sure to take up a good sniping position somewhere high up.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

No poison, no kill, traps and barricades, take a sniping position.

You have a good secure position, and anyone who comes at you knows what they're risking. Let them make that decision before you kill them. Don't let Sarge down.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

No Poison, Kill, place down traps and barricade

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Aren't Sarge and his men still with the bandits? That one sprite looks like him.

After all the big talk about "having a conscience", let's not try to assassin him and his men with poison.

No poison, kill, traps and barricades, take a sniping position.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yeah, Sarge still being with the bandits is a good point. If we poison the food, we'll have established ourselves as a poisoner liar and Murphy's Law ourselves to having 16/17 guys after us instead of 15 when they're ready to attack. The sentry's probably not Sarge (didn't he have sunglasses?), though. No poison, kill sentry, traps, barricades, sniping position, definitely fireworks on the ammo if possible after killing the sentry.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Changing my vote against poison. Poisoning Sarge, before he can tell his buddies not to attack seems like a mean trap.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I personally would absolutely use poison in this scenario, but David wouldn't, so no poison.

For the same reason, and to avoid tipping them off, don't kill the sentry.

Likewise don't light up the ammo.

Defend the house with traps and barricades and a high sniping station

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
No poison, no kill, use the blankets on the windows to camouflage the house and prevent the bandits from seeing it in the first place

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Maple Leaf posted:

use the blankets on the windows to camouflage the house and prevent the bandits from seeing it in the first place

That seems a bit unlikely, since they already know the place. Unless that one bottle of booze is really potent.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kill where possible. Poison where possible. Burn where possible.

This is a fantastic scenario, we've gotten to know David and crew quite well by now, and only Cate really strikes me as able to kill and move on. To have the restraint to avoid human enemies up until now is really great.

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

Arzaac posted:

So I know that poison sounds like an appealing option, but didn't we just appeal to humanity towards Sarge? If he learns we poisoned the food he's probably going to reconsider leaving us alone.

I'm going with No Poison, No Kill, Traps, & Barricade.

Seconding this. No need to go out of our way to harm the raiders, especially if some of Sarge's men might be caught in the crossfire. We're better than that. :colbert:

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Oh wow, good to see this is back.

No poison, Kill the guard, Use bars and nails on windows, Use traps outside, Lock doors

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

:siren: There is goon participation in this entry! :siren:

After much debate, most goons settled on not poisoning the bandits' food (mostly due to concerns we'd poison Sarge and his guys too), and not killing the sentry overlooking the bandit camp. Many of you said to barricade the windows and lay beartraps while also taking a high sniping position, so we'll do that, as well as trying to light the ammunition in the bandit camp on fire. We'll see what we can do before the day's through!

Inside

The first thing to do is get all this clutter off the ground. The windows will be barricaded with metal bars, nails, and tape.

12:40 pm: I installed iron bars in one of the windows.

Looking solid for the ground floor. Time to do the same with the upstairs, just in case the bandits bring ladders and try to scale up the walls.

01:26 pm: I installed iron bars in some of the windows.

01:49 pm: I installed iron bars in all of the windows.

You may be wondering why I also barred up the upstairs windows when a few of you said to seek out a high ground position. The answer is simple: thanks to Cate's ace helicopter flying skills, we have a massive hole in the attic that is perfect for sniping. Unless we decide to shoot from the roof (and I'm not doing that), we can't get higher and more tactical than that!

Now, to deploy some bear traps. First, I'll place two on the rear of the house, then two in the front.

02:12 pm: I decided to set some traps.

Okay, that's the bear traps all set up. That completes the defenses of the household, other than locking the front door and making sure the back is also locked up. The last thing to try is heading back to the bandit camp and trying to flamethrower the hell out of their ammo dump, hopefully without killing ourselves in the process.

We're back in the camp, but when I try using the flamethrower on the boxes, David refuses to do so. What a pity, David. We could have blown up a bunch of these idiots up, but maybe we also would have been caught in the equivalent of a giant frag grenade. Oh well, nothing to it but to go back home and prepare for the assault!

And here we are in the attic, ready to do our best impression of videogame camping. David's done plenty of that in multiplayer matches, the cad. Tactically, with the high ground, solid walls, and heavy cover provided by the wreckage of the chopper, the thugs outside won't land a single shot unless they're marksmen. Our silenced sniper rifle, Capitalism, will make short work of the enemy for big profit since they'll stuck in the open with no cover.

Yes. Let's get this night underway. Cody, get inside. The adults are going to hold this fort! Capitalism, you're up!

Long Nights

"Your time for slaughter has come, piglets," Razor himself shouted through a megaphone. "And I will be your wolf!" Some of his gang was missing...

They were too drunk to move out and were left to sober up. They missed the whole party.

Sarge wasn't brave enough to confront Razor, but he thought things through sufficiently. He and his four men never showed up to attack you. 13 men, including Razor, closed in to attack.

Bullets swooshed through the air. Some flew far too close to your head, decorating the walls of the house with numerous small holes.

Three of the attackers found themselves unarmed and had to retreat before the attack had even truly started.

With a view enhanced by a scope, you managed to hit five of them, sending them to the dusty dirt. They didn't get up afterwards.

With that extra ammo you managed to shoot one more thug as he was nearing the house.

Jeez, a whole box of ammo and David only gets one extra kill after firing six bullets and tagging five bad guys? His nerves must have caught up with him after Capitalism demanded more investment for blood. Diamond hands, David!

Cate simply opened the door and put her gun to his head.

Another Sunrise

You prepared your hideout perfectly and it paid off. Not only did you survive, but you also had some good rest last night. [+5 kg permanent carry weight bonus]

Excellent job, everyone! With your advice and preparation, we didn't arouse any suspicion before the assault, managed to spare Sarge and his men, and had a perfect survival for this night. It wasn't anything close to a pitched battle. It was a bloodbath.

You know what time it is. Let's find out what will kill us tomorrow night...

(Interaction - Window) A cold night outside...

No cause of death from the window, huh?

Door's unlocked and opened. I have a bad feeling about this...

The fourth day is coming, and the moon wants to kiss Earth with what's left of the Sea of Tranquility. Tomorrow is our final day to survive... But I'm sure that, somehow, somewhere, we have survived this already. We can do it again! Today's mission is to escape to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism... Space! This means Capitalism, the rifle which served us so well last night gunning down Razor's gang, won't be coming with us.

Inside

I tried going up into the attic to look for our missing friends, but David noticed something I didn't. Is the bathroom where everyone is?

What needs to be done.
We agreed to let him live.
No. We agreed to decide his fate in the morning. It's the morning now, and I'm deciding his fate for you. Because I know you couldn't do it.
There's no reasoning with her now, David.
Shut up, Barry. You know there's no other way this can end.
Cate, please stop!
David, take him outside.

:siren: Decide Razor's fate. Do we tell Cate to kill him, or to not kill him? I say we tell Cate to not kill him, but perhaps you think otherwise. The man is vile, but we weren't poisoners, his gang is scattered, he is defenseless, and he will die from the moon anyway. On the other hand, Razor is a hunter, a man who will probably take the first opportunity he gets to ambush us and kill us when we get distracted, even alone. What difference would it make if we shot him now compared to letting nature take its course? You are the judge and jury, goons!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 22, 2021

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

No kill plz, Cody's been through enough.

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

Don't kill him.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Don't kill him. It's not worth traumatizing the child when the moon'll do it for us in a few hours.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

To be fair to Cate, this guy is crazy enough to charge a clearly fortified house solo so he will almost certainly cause trouble later.

Still, don't kill.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Kill him

We've got limited time and resources, and he's got nothing but time on his hands to gently caress with us and/or seek revenge.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Olive Branch posted:

Cate simply opened the door and put her gun to his head.

lmao

Kill him.

We have to stop him from following us and potentially sabotaguing our escape plan, even though I feel there is probably a safety check later that will have him die due to his own greed/stupidity while we're exploring the launch site.

Get Cody out of there no matter what though. Mercy kills for safety of the team sucks, but let's not willingly traumatise the kid more.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It worked out for us not to blow up the ammo, kill the sentry, or poison the food, so we're probably better off not killing this guy even though yeah, he's crazy enough to charge a fortified house by himself after 6 of his pals got killed. Who knows, maybe the act of mercy will snap him out of his crazy homicidal bent and he can help us with the spaceship or something.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Olive Branch posted:

and he will die from the moon anyway.

This is exactly why you should kill him. A bullet to the head is far more merciful than leaving him to face Armageddon.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Don't kill him.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

We killed a bunch of his gang who helped out in the attack, why is it suddenly not cool to kill him too when he's the ringleader?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

David shot six men yesterday. It's too late to be a pacifist now, buddy. He'll die tomorrow anyway, why risk him jeopardising the group's escape? Kill him. But not in front of Cody.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Make it seven.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

We killed a bunch of his gang who helped out in the attack, why is it suddenly not cool to kill him too when he's the ringleader?

Can you imagine taking his gang away from him and then dunking on him with a literal moon? don't kill him having him die to the apocalypse is way funnier.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

There's a slight but meaningful difference between killing someone in active combat and cold hearted execution.
To be honest, I'm surprised Cate left that guy alive in the first place.

Don't kill him.
I am purely metagaming now. Having him around is the more interesting variant, where we aren't missing story content. I don't think leaving him is a good idea, but I am just curious what he'll do.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

cant cook creole bream posted:

There's a slight but meaningful difference between killing someone in active combat and cold hearted execution.
To be honest, I'm surprised Cate left that guy alive in the first place.

Yeah I can't believe it either

Regallion posted:

Can you imagine taking his gang away from him and then dunking on him with a literal moon? don't kill him having him die to the apocalypse is way funnier.

Now this is a highly reasoned argument I can really get behind

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
While we killed bandits for our own survival, this is a straight-up execution. I firmly believe the bloodthirsty goons trying to poison the bandits were wrong in the last update and and it would be wrong to be bloodthirsty again, no matter how "acceptable" the targets are.

Don't kill him.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I definitely assumed from that narration that Cate had already put a bullet through his brain when she opened the door. If she hasn't killed him yet, may as well not kill him at all.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This is a very stupid moral dillema lmao. Why did the game even do this?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
The game is only about basic moral dilemmas like this. Have you been following the LP at all?

Also big laughs at all you losers who are hang wringing and whinging about poisoning the bandits. It's fatal is you chug a bottle, not if it's spread around in a bunch of food. Moot point regardless though since everything else we did was more than enough already.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah but why was it here? Why didn't Cate just ice the guy as soon as he got into range? David apparently is a cool sniper capable of taking out 6 dudes cold and she's mentioned several times having no compunctions about killing people

But now that he's the last man standing we go "so do we kill him or not?" like it's a loving Bioware game

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The other people were generic mobs David doesn't consider human. This one has a name a personality and speaking lines. If he was able to attack named npcs, he could have sniped that one and nipped the assault in the bud. Why else do you think Sarge was spared?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 26, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Yeah but why was it here? Why didn't Cate just ice the guy as soon as he got into range? David apparently is a cool sniper capable of taking out 6 dudes cold and she's mentioned several times having no compunctions about killing people

But now that he's the last man standing we go "so do we kill him or not?" like it's a loving Bioware game

There's a difference between killing attackers and killing a prisoner. Cate just didn't kill when she shot him. They were probably doing cleanup after the fact and she probably noticed he was still squirming while David was around and he said "look, gimme some time to think, let's just tie him up for now". Cate was probably all for putting a bullet between his eyes, but he stopped her is the implication from the dialogue near the end.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Cate just didn't kill when she shot him. They were probably doing cleanup after the fact and she probably noticed he was still squirming

The nightly wrapup said she put the gun to his head, man she's got even worse aim with a gun than she does with helicopters

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

The nightly wrapup said she put the gun to his head, man she's got even worse aim with a gun than she does with helicopters

Quirk of the angle, maybe he turned in shock just in time and just suffered a glancing blow? Headshots are definitely very lethal, but not guaranteed.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

She put a gun to his head, not shot him. Like, literally, if you read it it goes like this:
1. Razor goes up to your front door, tries to break in.
2. Kate open door, puts gun to his head.
3. He presumably is forced to surrender on the spot and gets tied up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I can see Cate agreeing to wait until morning to deal with him so she can gloat a bit. She's probably spent all night telling him they're going to drag him out into the desert, shoot him in both feet and leave him there to watch the moon sinking onto his head.