Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Black Robe posted:

I can see Cate agreeing to wait until morning to deal with him so she can gloat a bit. She's probably spent all night telling him they're going to drag him out into the desert, shoot him in both feet and leave him there to watch the moon sinking onto his head.
That seems a bit much for Cass. She's incapable of subtlety, not sadistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Although it would be completely idiotic not to kill him, I still vote to Spare Him, purely for metagaming reasons.

Not killing him is asking for him either to do a moral 180 and help you out later, or to show up again at a tense moment and try to kill you just before the end. I want to see which one!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I say don't kill him, mostly because there's nothing he can really do at this point.

Nobody said anything about untying him!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

It was a controversial and divisive vote. By my count, including the Something Awful and LP Beach viewers' vote counts, not killing Razor beat out those calling for his head by one single vote, not counting mine. Is Cate going to listen to our barely-collective will, though?

Inside

Give me one good reason.
I will help you... I...
Shut up, I wasn't asking you.

We get a variety of options to convince Cate to spare Razor... or just tell her as our first option to kill him. From left to right, we can tell her to "kill him," "it's a waste of a bullet," "he's learned his lesson," "you're better than this," and "the world ends anyway." I'll show each option's conversation, starting with the comment about the bullet.

It's a waste of a bullet. We might need to defend ourselves.
Hmm. I could still just smack his head with a pipe until his brain comes out.

He's learned his lesson. He doesn't have anyone left.
That's good if you ask me. But I like to finish what I started. And there is one more vermin to terminate.

You're better than this.
You don't know me. I'm a girl who survives, David. And I'll do whatever it takes.

It's over anyway.
Huh?
The world is going to end today.
So what? This scum doesn't deserve to witness it.
Wait, what? You're for real?
We've been guarding him for the entire night, taking turns. And that was the last night of my life. Thanks, David. We should have killed him right away.

We needed to choose any two options in any order, excluding killing Razor, to convince Cate to let Razor go.

drat you, David. You're too soft. I hope I'm not going to regret that.
Thank you... Just let me go. You'll never see me again...
Shut up.
You're doing the right thing.
You shut up, too. Everybody, just shut up.

That was the right thing to do.
I'll ask you to say that again if he follows us and stabs our backs when we least expect it.
I doubt he would.
So. It is today.
Is it?
Yes. I've seen it. This time there is no way to survive this.
We know where the ship is.
Come on, Cate. How is that going to save us? Maybe if you tell me more about that space station, the story would be more believable. But so far?
Just a little longer, David. Let's go to that outpost. It's pretty far away, so we'd better take a car. (Turns around to face David.)
Barry, how do you feel?
How should I feel? My wife is dead, I've had the worst night of my life and the world is about to end.
Hang in there. Things are going to get better.
I don't know, David. This whole thing about the spaceship. It's too good to be true. Not to mention I'm terrified of flying. I take trains.
Don't worry. You'll see I'm not bluffing.
And is there going to be a spaceship?
Yes!
Like, a real one? And we're going into space?
Exactly!
I want to go to spaaace!

08:00 am: We decided to spare Razor. This place has seen enough death. I just hope I'm not gonna regret that decision...

Investigation

Waiting for the evening won't hurt, will it?

This time waiting for the evening is not a good idea. I have to find a ship and launch it before it's too late.

Yeah, the moon's looking a bit too close for comfort. Let's chat with the gang and see what they have to say.

Cate, you're up first. "About today..."

So, today is the day.
Yes. We either fly or we fry.
I can't believe you're able to joke about Earth being destroyed. Then again... I can hardly believe the Earth is being destroyed in the first place.
Well, yes. This world is lost. There is nothing we can do. Just escape.
I guess you're not sharing any more details on our actual plan of what we do once we take off?
Listen. Right now taking off isn't even certain. The ship might not fly, or it might explode in the air if it's damaged. There are a million things that can go wrong. So, yes. Let's focus on those things now. You'll learn about everything soon enough.

Cate's secrecy is still a bit puzzling to me, but maybe the way out is so weird that saying so now would make everyone doubt her plan. So what "about Barry," are you getting along now?

Are you still not happy about Barry being around?
I have to admit that I might have been a little too harsh. He's helpful. Without him it would be much harder to survive.
Oh, so you can admit your own mistakes.
Don't push your luck, David. I would still be just fine without him. Or without you.

Hey, she's warming up to the guy, in her own way! That's great. What "about Cody," how do you feel about him?

I was thinking about Cody and...
Geez David. What do you want me to say? That I like him? Yes. I like him. There. Are you happy now?
Well... yes. I still think you overreacted. I just wanted to ask...
He's a good kid, David. Okay? I'm surprised he is still holding up. After all that happened. A lot of adults would have had a breakdown, yet he's still going. It's admirable.

Cate, again, showing affection in her own way. She's very pragmatic, but she can respect the kid's will to survive, too. Speaking of survival, "about Razor," how do you think he'll fare on his own after sparing his life, as short as it remains?

About letting Razor go...
Do not talk to me about that. You convinced me. I already regret that.
Why?
Because I showed weakness. Because I looked like some sort of wimp. No offense.
Cate, this man has lost all his friends. He lost everything.
Which makes him super dangerous, as he has nothing left to lose now. What if he decides to come back?
I doubt that.
If I were him, I would totally come back and have my revenge.
Yes, you probably would.
Hey, what's that supposed to mean?

Hah, Cate totally would. Mercy is not in her vocabulary, but I wonder why that is. She said she showed weakness, and that makes me curious about her past. Still, Razor isn't Cate. Maybe he will indeed just leave us alone...

Cody, let's hear from you. "About today..."

You look anxious.
I can't wait. I wanna go to space already! Also, Cate says the Moon is gonna hit Earth today. Can we watch that from above? Because that sounds, like, really dangerous.
Sure. We will be safe in our spaceship. In space.
Can I tell you a secret, David?
Sure.
I'm scared. Like, almost all the time. I'm just trying to think about going to space so I don't think about the end of the world...
Cody...
What?
I just want to say I'm proud of you.
Umm... for what? For being scared?
Fear is something we all feel, Cody. Feeling fear doesn't mean you're not brave. And you're the bravest kid I've ever met.
I am?
Yes. And I'm sure you'll love it in space!

Cody is a sweet kid, and even Cate agrees he's a courageous little fellow. What "about Barry," Cody?

I think you and Barry are getting along.
He is cool! I mean, I see he cares about me. He is always worried, and even if sometimes he won't let me do something I know it's because he's thinking about my safety. It may be annoying, but I like it. It rarely happened before. At the orphanage other boys picked on me. And I didn't like any of the staff. He would be a cool...
A cool what?
...A teacher or a guardian, you know.

It's okay, Cody. I think he'd be a cool dad, too. What "about Cate," would she be a cool mom?

You still think Cate is mean?
Yup! She wouldn't be Cate if she wasn't a little bit mean. Maybe it's her way to show she likes someone. You know... like she tries to be a badass, which is pretty cool, but at the same time she has to show her friends that they are on the same side.

I guess I agree with you, Cody. Cate's doing what we adults call "fronting," but don't tell her I said that. And, uh, "about Razor" and Cate wanting to kill him... Want to talk about that?

Razor is free. I hope you're not scared by that.
No. Bad guys always lose. No matter what.
So are you saying that the good guys always let the bad guys leave?
Yeah. Most of the time. Then they can return in other comic books and make some more trouble.
But you said you are not afraid of him coming back.
Yeah, because we're gonna beat him again!

Well said, little man! I mean, bad guys made the moon break in the first place and probably got away with it by leaving someone else to deal with the mess, but we'll ignore that for now.

Barry, you're our last companion to chat with. "About today..."

Thinking about your wife?
All the time. Today is the last day of the world. Just... just listen to this. The end. Of the world. Is today. I can't believe it. I can't comprehend it. It's not something I expected... nor wanted to witness.
If we're lucky we're gonna witness it from far above.
Yeah... if we're lucky.
You don't believe we can make it, do you?
It doesn't matter. Even if we do, the end of the world means it's the end of the world. So I don't believe we can escape our fate. But you can be sure as hell I'll do everything to help you get where you want to go. So, you can still count on me.
Thanks, Barry.

We'll break the chains of fate, my man. We owe to Cody! And "about Cody..."

How do you think Cody is doing?
Remarkably well. Given the circumstances, I'd say he's an incredibly resilient kid. You might think that he's just a silly child. But to tell you the truth, I think he keeps us all alive. Positive attitude. Confidence that he will see another day. Hope for a better future. I'm not sure I would be able to go forward without it. I needed that boost. You might even call it... a solid kick in the rear end.
I can kick someone in the rear end!
Language, young boy!
Sorry! I mean... kick in the butt!
You better be careful or I'll give you a noogie!

Aww, these two will make for a fine adopted family. What "about Cate?"

What do you think about all this... and Cate?
She has her flaws, like all of us. I had my doubts in the beginning, but she has had many opportunities to ditch us. Maybe it's because she needs some help to achieve her goals. But Maggie always said that I should give others at least some benefit of the doubt. And okay. I trust her. Kind of. At least I don't think she would harm us in any way. But don't get me wrong. I'm still sure she wouldn't cry after losing any of us.

Barry's probably not wrong about Cate's hard heart, but I'm glad he trusts her enough to follow us in our mad quest to escape into space. But what do you think "about Razor," was it right to let him go?

About Razor...
You did the right thing, David. There was enough bloodshed. No reason to take another life. We did what we had to do to defend ourselves, and that's enough.
What if he decides to get back at us?
I'm not sure he has time for a revenge. Don't you think?
I guess...

Hmm. Maybe Razor does have time. I mean, a day is a long time, when you think about it in terms of hours. But if he comes at us again after all, we still have some self-defense tools at our disposal.

So... How are you, Barry?
You really don't have to pretend that you care, Cate.
Oh... Fine then... I was afraid I'd have to be nice for a longer period of time.

Inside

Before we head off to the outpost, I'm checking inside the house to solve one last mystery. The fireplace's chimney being clogged up is bothering me. What's in there?

The moon looks mighty close from up here...

(Interaction - Chimney) It seems the chimney is clogged by something inside. I can't reach it.

Time for our trusty rope and hook!

Is that... a dead bird?

A dead bird (0.1 kg). Mummified carcass of a bird. I don't see a reason to carry this around...

Well, you never know when a dead bird may come in handy. We've been carrying around Capitalism (the locust, not the rifle, though now I realized we have two Capitalisms in our backpack) the entire time, so why not add another expired creature to our collection? While I pore over the items we should take from the storage chest, our group has a few conversations that strike me as... odd.

So kid, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Hmm... I'm not sure.
Not that it matters now anyway.
Policeman? Fireman? I'm sure you had some ideas.
I wanted to work...
...in a zoo?
Wow! How did you know?
Lucky guess, I think...

(Sings.) I went to the Animal Fair... The birds and tigers were there! The big baboon by the light of the moon...
...was combing his auburn hair?
Huh? Yes! I didn't know you knew that song!
I didn't know either.

So... Anyone else feel like it all happened before?
Not all of it. Not exactly.
Yeah! I feel that, too! But it's all blurry and... feels like a dream.

What's the matter, kid?
I'm tired.
Why? Are you worried about something? Didn't get enough sleep?
No... I had bad dreams. There were those shadowy people. They were chasing me.
It's only a dream. Dreams can't hurt you. Don't think about it too much.
...I think they can...

And that last conversation was particularly ominous. I don't want to make Cody more upset than he probably is, so we'll keep mum about our own past run-in with a shadowy person.

On our way to the barn where we keep Comrade, the truck, we find the stack of dead bandit bodies we gathered and piled together overnight. The blue tarp we pulled over them flaps in the wind.

(Interaction - Stack of dead bodies) No time to bury them. I can't believe we killed them all...

I tried to use the flamethrower on them to give them an old-fashioned pyre funeral, but David refuses to comply. What's the matter, David, you never studied ancient burial rites?

Where did all the people go anyway?
What do you mean exactly?
The world is so deserted. Sure, the Moon is broken and the climate is crazy, but where did all the people go?
Most of them are dead.
Most of them? How? I always imagined the majority survived somewhere.
Earthquakes. Diseases. Hunger. You'd be surprised how fragile the food supply chain was. Also, there were resource wars. Not one war; many wars. Not a big "we vs them" conflict. Everyone-for-themselves backstabbing fest, between countries and inside the countries. There were probably more wars this year across the globe than during the entire century. And it's the 20th century we're talking about, so that says something. But, of course, it kinda went unnoticed. First, there is no more press so hardly anyone knows about it. And second, there is hardly anyone left, in general.

Starting up the truck shows the outpost is available for us to drive to. Let's ride on over there. We have a full tank of gas on hand to refuel, as well.

You bet we're checking that bus out.

Exploration

They were using this bus to move their people to the launch site.
Too bad their driver didn't know how to drive. Looks like they abandoned it here and continued on foot.
Maybe they left something valuable behind.

David's speaking my language. Before we investigate, let's see what our gang has to say about it.

What do you think about it? Why is it even here?
What do I think about what? They had a transport, but they got into trouble. Nothing more to explain.

What do you think, Cody?
I think I know what happened here.
Yeah?
Yeah. I saw it in a movie. There was a policeman and a bad guy. And the bad guy put a bomb on a bus. And he was like, "If the bus stops, the bomb will explode!" BOOOM!
This bus doesn't look it exploded.
Because the policeman defused the bomb!

Any idea what's wrong with that bus?
I would have to look under the hood, and that would take some time...

Time we can't afford to waste on a hunk of junk. Comrade is good enough for our driving needs. Let's get inside.

There are a couple of things on this bus, the most important of which is a key...

A key with a label (0.1 kg).

Lab 13 in the Sidereal Plexus offices was locked. If I were a gambling man, I'd say this key opens it. We'll check that out later. As for the other thing we can interact with, there's a smudge on the window in the shape of a handprint.

What was this person doing, eating oily chips or French fries on the way out of here? Let's clean that up.

(Item - Kitchen knife on smudge) I don't want to scrape that dirt off.

Good call, David. Those fingerprints might come in handy, but how to get them off...?

On to the outpost itself, we're done here. I'll check out Lab 13 after we give the outpost a thorough investigation.

Wasteland

You mean... this?
What did you expect? I told you. The location of this facility was confidential. Don't look for any bright neon lights or signposts.
Yeah, but still...
Come on, the whole place is underground. We have to get inside. There... might be security measures waiting for us.
Great.

08:17 am: We arrived at the Outpost, the place Cate was after since the day we met. Seems like ages ago...

It's a good thing we have that ID card from the Sidereal Plexus worker we came across. If there are any "security measures" that require a pass, we can get around those with it, I think. Gang, what do you all think of the place?

We're here, Cate. The outpost. Are you happy?
I will be once we launch our ship into space.
Anything I should be concerned about here?
Like I said... defense mechanisms of some sort. Also, nothing here has been used for quite a while, so don't expect things to work.

What's on your mind, Cody?
When will we go to space, David?
Just a little longer.
Are we going yet?
No, not yet.
Are we going yet?
Not yet.
And now?
Still not.
How long can you keep going?
Till the end of the world?

What do you think of this place?
I'm not sure. After all this hype from Cate I think I expected something more.
Ugh. There is more more. Inside.
This actually reminds me of the time Maggie and I went to a local fair. It was years ago. There was this small tent in the middle, and it looked like nothing special... But inside they put mirrors on all the walls and the columns. It was lit up with bright lights. It looked incredible. It was like stepping into infinity, Maggie said. And she was kinda right. Then again, all that was just an illusion.

(Interaction - Left silo) A silo. A pair of silos, actually.
Yes. One of them still houses a rocket with a shuttle.
How do you know? Why didn't they take both when evacuating?
I just know they didn't. Trust me.
I trust you!
I have trouble trusting you.

(Interaction - Right silo) Shouldn't at least one of the silos be open now that they've left?
It closes automatically to prevent unauthorized access.
Like a garage door?
See? It wasn't that hard.

Hmm. Looks like that corpse there ran afoul of said "security measures" Cate warned us about. Other than the body, there is a silo hatch, a door with a scanner, and a radar on the roof with an access panel to interact with.

(Interaction - Hatch) This thing weighs much more than I'll ever be able to lift.
(Interaction - Corpse) This man looks like he's been burnt. The corpse looks melted, and the sand around it turned into glass shards.

So what happened with the body? Was it something to do with the door? Let's step on over to it, and--

<PROVIDE A VALID ID CARD> <YOU HAVE 5 SECONDS TO COMPLY>
This doesn't sound good.
<5... 4... 3... 2... 1... 0...>

Yeah? What would happen if counted down to zero, I wonder?

Oh, wait, I don't have to wonder, there's a dead, charred body right there. It doesn't take an overactive imagination to guess something here, probably the doormat, is electrified. Let's just scan Jacob Salmann's ID card on the reader and turn this thing off.

The ID card we got is thankfully valid. Before we head inside, I want to check out the radar up there.

(Interaction - Radar) I think it's supposed to be rotating. I guess it's broken.
(Interaction - Radar's access panel) A metal plate is held by some screws.

I use the screwdriver on the metal plate to remove it, and take it with me.

A metal plate (2 kg). A flat piece of lightweight metal allow.

(Interaction - Radar's access panel) One of the parts looks burned. It says "duplexer" on it.

The radar being off bodes ill if we're supposed to fly out of here safely, so we'll probably need to fix it before we get out of here. Anyway, let's get in the facility.

Alone

After scanning the ID card again, we're in, while Cate, Cody, and Barry wait outside. There is a fusebox that powers the door, an engine with a transmission belt, and an elevator.

(Interaction - Elevator) Nothing happens... I think there is no power.
(Interaction - Transmission belt) This large engine surely moves something big, however it's not moving at the moment. With a proper tool I could remove the transmission belt.

The elevator line is down. I have to find a way to restore its power... and while I'm at it, I should disable this doormat before someone gets hurt.
(Interaction - Either power source) I can't remove it. I have to redirect the power.
(Interaction - Doormat pin) The pin controlling the electrical doormat. It is powered.
(Interaction - Elevator pin) The pin controlling the elevator. It is offline.

In this minigame, all we need to do is click on each square to spin it around, connecting the power source on the top left to the pin on the bottom right, and disabling the doormat's, too.

Ouch! I have to watch out for those damaged squares.
drat it. Gotta be more careful.
No, not again!

If you mess up and connect to the blown squares, David loops those comments. Each short circuit causes the entire pathing of the cables to scramble, forcing you to restart the puzzle.

It's not that hard to disable the doormat and power the elevator, though.

Barry said it better than I could, but if the fusebox wasn't here, we'd need to risk the jump, I guess. What do you all have to say about this place?

So, we're finally here.
Yeah. It's not over yet. The worst is yet to come.
You know how to lift the spirits up, Cate.
I'm just being realistic. We got here and that's great. We've been through a lot, but it's still far from over.

Do you like it here, Cody?
Uh... It's kinda spooky in here. Can we just go to space now?
We're working on it.

I can't believe a private corporation was able to build such a place in secret. Then they used it to evacuate, just like that. Without sharing this information with anyone. Without even trying to save a single soul. And they supposedly left one of their ships behind because they didn't need both. There were A LOT of people who would have done anything to board that ship of theirs. Even if the chances of actually being saved by it were a longshot.

(Interaction - Fusebox) Doormat is disabled, the elevator is powered. There's nothing I want to change here.

I'll take this transmission belt, thank you...

A transmission belt (0.2 kg). A rubber belt that was used to connect two rotating parts of an engine.

And now, we'll be going deeper into the outpost, courtesy of this elevator.

As we step out of the elevator and walk down the hallway, the lights turn on. The right door is open, so why not go in there first?

The lights are off, but there's a switch further down the room. There's also a piece of paper that caught my eye.

A chemical formula (0 kg).

This is a formula for... a medicine that increases lung efficiency? I'm guessing we'll need to use this formula for something later, so I'll hold on to it. Let's hit that and turn this room's lights on.

Uh, a trajectory map?
Why does it go to the Moon? (Walks closer and into the projector's light.) We are not going to the Moon, are we? You said we're going to a space station.
I never said the space station wasn't on the Moon.
WHAT!? But the Moon is going to...!
That's just crazy. I knew you were crazy.
You've gotta be kidding. Please tell me you are.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Moon going to hit us in less than twelve hours? (Turns to face Cate.) Why the hell would we want to go there?!
It's the only way. You have to believe me.
(Turns away from Cate.) I don't know if I have any reasons to believe you. You promised us safety. You promised us an escape. You said you wanted to leave this planet.
Those aren't the exact words I used.
I think we deserve some answers.
How can I explain it to you? (David turns to face Cate.) There is something in that Moon base that will help us. Sidereal has a base there...
What could possibly help us if we reach the Moon an hour before impact? And wasn't their Moon base destroyed in the mining accident?
(David turns away from Cate.) It was. But they have another base on the Moon. It's called Sidereal Plexus One and they... how should I put this? How do you think Sidereal has all this technology? Private space shuttles. Moon bases. Electric doormats. Weather drones. Heat absorbers. The means to accidentally blow up the whole drat Moon.
I'm not sure I follow.
They're getting that technology from other worlds.
Like... other planets?
No. Other Earths. They are in contact with other versions of Sidereal Plexus. A vast network of connections, across the endless universes. Constantly discovering new versions of the world as they go. Our world is merely one page in an enormous library of worlds they have access to.
Do you expect me to believe all that?
I don't really care if you do. Help me off this planet or get out of the way.
You have some nerve to mock us like that. After all we've been through.
Barry, like I said I don't care if you believe me or not. And I don't need your help.
Just to be clear, I'm helping David, not you.
Please don't fight... Even if we're going to die, we can be together... Right? I... I don't want to be alone again.

I totally believe Cate, even if David and Barry find the story so weird. I can't tell you why, but I feel we've done all this already. Add the strange technology Sidereal Plexus uses and those e-mails stating Cate is from a different world, and we'll have the means to be on our way to a new dimension or Earth in a flash. Let's look around the room a bit more. There are a few items we can grab...

(Interaction - Switch) The projector is already on.
(Interaction - Presentation screen) I can't believe we are doing this...

Lovely FAQ here. I guess lunar explosions and other world-ending events are par for the course for Sidereal.

A remote controller (0 kg).

I want some batteries. We all want batteries!

(Item - Screwdriver on remote controller) I've removed the batteries. Without them, the remote is useless.

Batteries (0 kg). A handful of batteries.

An access card (0 kg).

This access card seems really important, so into our backpack it goes.

Back into the hallway. Let's try out that left door.

(Interaction - Doorway) It's locked... probably with that fingerprint-reading lock.
(Interaction - Fingerprint scanner) It's a fingerprint scanner. Let's see if it recognizes me.

That's what I thought.
(Item - Access card on fingerprint scanner) There is no slot for a card here. It looks more like a fingerprint reader.

Maybe Cate can open it.

There's a finger scanner on that door.
Yeah, so?
So... since you know so much about Sidereal I thought you could...
David, I...
Oh, come on. You wouldn't have any idea about this place if you weren't somehow involved.
Even if I was, do you think I'd still be here if I was important enough for them to save me?
Humor me.

Happy now?

Nothing to it but keep exploring further. I have a sneaking suspicion that handprint on the bus could be our ticket into that locked room.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 8, 2021

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Main Menu

There it is.
LOOK AT THAT!!!
Incredible.
I told you it'd be here.
IT'S A SPACESHIP!
I'm sure you hadn't doubted me for a second.
Actually, I did. I apologize.
I admit... this looks impressive. It's like a regular space shuttle but smaller... and more fancy. It IS promising.
Can we go inside?!
Don't celebrate just yet. There's space for two rockets in this silo. See? One launch pad is empty.
So they took one shuttle and left the other one behind.
Why? They could have saved twice as many people.
Maybe one was sufficient. Remember, they weren't trying to save as many people as possible. They were just saving who they thought was worth saving. Or the other one was broken. Anyway, a bit of time has passed. The ship requires a general inspection before it's even remotely safe to use.

08:27 am: We found a spaceship. A small shuttle with a rocket. Let's hope we can make it fly safely. What can we do to improve the condition of the ship?

Awesome find, gang. Looks like Cate was telling the truth after all. From here, we can check out the spaceship and there's a door to the right with a card scanner. The access card we picked up may grant us access.

(Interaction - Spaceship) A spaceship is attached to huge rocket engine units. The shuttle itself looks similar to the ones used by NASA, yet it's smaller and somehow seems more... modern? This must be a design by Sidereal Plexus. I haven't seen it anywhere before. Anyway, that's our ticket out of here. Or at least that's what I hope.
(Interaction - Doorway) It's locked.
(Interaction - Card scanner) There's a slot for an access card.

Let's try the access card we just got. I figure the one from the Sidereal offices wouldn't work if the guy wasn't even invited to the outpost.

There we go. Let's go check that shuttle out.

Alone

It's a long way down to the ship itself, but there seems to be a door on the floor just under us. What's in there?

This must be the ship's control room. There's a lot to look at here. Let's start with the machines on the left side first.

This is the system diagnostics screen. The fuel source for the ship seems to be fine, but the air supply is compromised. If we took off now, we'd probably die of suffocation. Let's see what we can do to fix things from here. We also need to check the ship's hull and open the silo hatch itself to launch.

The air composition control monitor shows a minigame of sorts. We need to adjust the air composition so that oxygen can flow. I'll fix this right now.

There we go. We just had to adjust the levels until each bar was in its own green box. Science is easy! After this, we can check out the radar screen.

08:27 am: I adjusted the air composition to be more breathable.

Well, the radar won't be any useful to use anyway, right?
Probably not. But on the other hand...
I mean, it's not like there are any planes left in the air.
Or helicopters. But who knows, David, who knows.

We'll need to fix the radar up top if we find a "duplexer." Better safe than sorry, I say. Next up is the hatch controls.

Hmm. No indication of what could be done here. Maybe the hatch has too much sand on top of it? We do have a shovel, so we can try to dig it out later. Next up is the mainframe computer next to the door.

(Interaction - Mainframe computer) Hmm... there is a part at the bottom that seems to be open.
(Interaction - Opening with electronics) A part came loose. I'll take it. I hope it wasn't important.
(Interaction - Opening with electronics) I took a part out of it already. I don't want to mess with it more.

A duplexer (0.2 kg). An electronic device commonly found in radio and radar communications systems.

Speak of the devil, we were just looking for one of these. Cool, we'll slot it on the way out, and get the radar running in case we spot anything of interest. That's all we can do here for now. To the ship's platform!

This is imposing. There is quite a bit to look at here: a fuel catalyst console, an empty launchpad, a broken elevator engine, an "up" button for the elevator, and a socket.

(Interaction - Launchpad) This launchpad is empty. To put it simply, that ship has sailed.
Or lifted off, to be more precise.
(Interaction - Fuel catalyst console) This console has an inlet for catalyst fluid that will be injected into the fuel tank.
(Interaction - Socket) This is a high-voltage socket for specialized equipment.
(Interaction - Elevator button) Hmm... I hear the engine working, but the elevator doesn't seem to move.
(Interaction - Broken elevator engine) Without a transmission belt, this engine is useless...

We have one of those! We removed it from that engine up top earlier.

Much better. Let's head up.

I feel kind of unsafe here without any railings, but at least the ship's door is already open. Let's head inside.

You tell me. I don't know much about spaceships. I always imagined it would be more... horizontal.
It can be confusing, but the ship will rotate to horizontal position after we launch.
Still, it kinda looks like some sort of a space bus with all those seats.
Its purpose was to drive people to and from the Moon. It kinda IS a space bus. Anyway, look around for any systems that seem to be missing.
How will I know if a system is missing if it is not there?
Come on, David. You're smart. It's not rocket sci- Well, actually it kinda is.

There is plenty to look at here. The main control console is above us, and below there are a set of circuit boards, a filter slot, and the ladder leading downwards. Let's take it from the top and work our way down.

(Interaction - Main control console) Are we ready to launch?
David, the silo's hatch is still closed. We can't launch until we find a way to open it. Or do you want us to crash even before we take off?

Looks like the chips are all in place.

Here's another task: find a lithium hydroxide filter.

Heading down shows a bit more stuff: a socket, a toolbox, an engine calibrator system, round openings, a dangerous-looking crack, and a storage compartment. Let's investigate in that order.

(Interaction - Socket) This is a high-voltage socket for specialized equipment.
(Interaction - Toolbox) (Opens the toolbox.) I've found a glue gun in the toolbox. It seems to be out of power. There is nothing interesting left in the toolbox.

A glue gun with no batteries (0 kg). It's a battery-powered glue gun. While there is a tube of glue inside, there is no power to heat it and melt the glue.

(Item - Batteries on glue gun) The glue gun now has working batteries. They won't last for too many uses, though...

A glue gun (0 kg). It works by melting the glue into sticky goo that quickly dries.

The engine calibrator is all right, but we're missing the auxiliary air tanks. If we end up needing the extra oxygen, we'll have to install them if we find them.

(Interaction - Crack in the wall) Oh... a crack in the wall. This can't be good, right?
How big is it?
I don't know, like, palm-sized? No idea how deep it runs. Maybe it's just on the surface?
If it's any deeper we might be in trouble. Best case scenario, we will lose oxygen.
And the worst case?
We explode during the ascent.
Oh.

Man, it's all oxygen-related issues this time around. Huh. Why did I say it like that?

(Item - Duct tape on ship crack) Maybe nails or duct tape were good before, but I'll need something more professional here.

Duct tape won't fix it, you say? Okay, what about the metal plate from the radar dish?

(Item - Metal plate on ship crack) Great, but I need something to create and air-tight seal over this crack.

And duct tape won't help? You speak madness, sir. How about the glue gun?

(Item - Glue gun on ship crack) Yes, gluing the crack in the spaceship's hull is totally going to help.

Hmm. We'll probably need to do do a welding job on this. Maybe the construction site the bandits were holed up in will have such equipment for us to use, and there is a socket right there. What about the storage compartment beneath?

Yeah?
I found some space suits.
Good. Those are emergency suits in case the shuttle fails to dock to the Moon base.
Should I take them?
No, leave them there for now. We might need them later.

(Interaction - Space suits) Space suits are staying here. We might need them.

There's one suit for each of us. Good, it would suck if we were missing one. Something tells me we are going to need them. Well, that's all for the ship. Let's go back down and fix up the radar with that duplexer.

Wasteland

(Interaction - Radar) I've fixed it.

Looking good. And now that that's done, the radar screen should be working. Let's try to get that hatch open, though...

(Item - Shovel on hatch) It's a huge metal cover. Sand covering it is the least of my problems.

Ah. So the problem is the actual machinery, not the sand. Maybe that transmission belt we removed from it earlier operates the hatch? I'll go remove it from the ship's elevator and install it back on the engine...

Alone

08:57 am: I opened the launch hatch.

(Interaction - Hatch controls) The hatch is already open.

I think we won't need to mess with the hatch controls anymore, so I'll move the transmission belt again before heading out to find more stuff to fix the ship with.

Wasteland

(Interaction - Open hatch) The ship is down there waiting for launch.

(Interaction - Left silo) A silo. This one turned out to be empty.
(Interaction - Right silo) A silo. It has our ship inside.

Looking good, looking good. Let's head back inside and check the radar screen. It should be working now.

Alone

An airplane? An actual, flying airplane?
Wait a second.
Okay... why?
Hush... See any difference?
No. Should I?
Yes, if it was flying you'd see it move. It's not airborne.
I thought radar was supposed to be detecting things up in the sky.
Yes. It also detects active transponders. Beacons installed in aircrafts.
So... we're looking at a possible location of an airplane on the ground?
Yes. Somebody didn't disable their transponder, which might indicate a crash. Give me your map. I'll estimate its position based on the radar's readings.

(Interaction - Radar) The plane is still there, in the wastelands. Cate has already plotted its position on my map.

Wasteland

Ah, there is the grounded plane, near the RV. Next time, we'll keep on exploring, starting with the bus, then the plane, followed by the construction site, and finally the Sidereal offices. If we need to make any other stops, I'll check out other places we've visited, too, especially the gas station, as I just refueled Communism's tank, and we can do with one final refill of the canister.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 7, 2021

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Use the glue gun on the moon. Ought to patch things right back up.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Maple Leaf posted:

Use the glue gun on the moon. Ought to patch things right back up.

You fool! That will only make the impact stronger!
Making the giant death sphere, which is homing in on David more stable sounds bad.
But maybe the newly repaired moon could survive the crash. Considering that it seems to be our new home, I guess it's worth a try.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 7, 2021

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

:siren: There is goon participation in this entry! :siren:

Wasteland

The first stop is the abandoned bus. Let's see if we can't pry that fingerprint off the windows.

Something tells me the glue gun, as much as Maple Leaf wants me to save it for patching up the moon, is of use here. Time to apply it to the window with the smudge!

(Item - Glue gun on smudge) Glue gun melts the glue into a moldable goo. I've put some of it on the window. Now I just need to wait a moment for it to dry... Meanwhile, the glue gun has run out of power. I guess remote controller batteries don't last too long.

Our big tools aren't fine enough to scrape off such a delicate mold, so let's go archeological and use the kitchen knife.

(Item - Kitchen knife on glued smudge) There! I have a perfect impression of this guy's fingerprint.

A fingerprint impression (0 kg). A fingerprint of a Sidereal Plexus researcher, molded on a piece of dried glue.

We'll get back to the outpost last. For now, I'll keep this little fingerprint in an easily-accessible coat pocket.

To the crashed plane next.

Covering Ground

Believe me I've seen worse.
I don't doubt that.
The plane seems to be mostly intact, so it's a good landing in my book.
Did it belong to the Sidereal fleet?
Most likely. And whatever is was carrying might still be on board. Come on.
Wait, are you not curious to find out why it crashed?
Right after the lunar explosion there was a huge disruption in Earth's magnetic field. Most of the navigation systems went crazy. Planes were falling from the sky all over the world.
I liked the spaceship better. Can we go back to the spaceship?
Later, okay?
Ugh!!!

Before going to explore the plane, let's ask our friends about it.

So, what do you think of this place?
Someone really should take some more flying lessons.
Yeah. Too bad not everyone has a god-given talent when it comes to piloting. Or landing.
...I will pretend I didn't hear your tone, David.

No...
Why not?
Airplanes are boring.
Whoa, now. I wouldn't say...
I liked airplanes, but now... I think spaceships are much cooler!
He's right, ya know.
Shut up.

It's a desert. And a crashed airplane. I'm not sure what to tell you about it. I hope we find what we need here.
Don't you have any story to tell this time?
I... David, what story? This plane wasn't here before the Moon exploded. It was a corn field, I think. Mr. and Mrs. Brown's cornfield. They lived in a two-story house east of here. But it was destroyed during an earthquake. They both moved out, looking for their relatives from the south. So, as you can see...
Thanks for the story, Barry.
Hah. You're welcome. Sneaky.

I appreciate everyone's candor! There are a few things we can look at here: the buried plane itself, a sand dune, and the plane's cargo door the dune is covering.

(Interaction - Buried plane) That's a lot of sand. The whole nose of the plane is buried.
(Interaction - Plane's cargo door) The entrance is covered with a whole lot of sand. I'll have to get rid of it first.

Man, digging with your hands sucks. I'm not averse to manual labor if circumstances require, but we do have a shovel.

There we go. What Sidereal treasures await within?

A lot of cargo boxes and a dead pilot. Let's check on the poor sod first before cracking boxes open blindly.

(Interaction - Pilot) Is this person dead?
It would seem so, kid. Let's see if he had something that might be useful to us...

(Interaction - Pilot) W-wait. What if he comes back to life? AND BITES YOU?
Cody...
Relax, David is a professional. He has searched like a dozen corpses.

(Interaction - Pilot) (David touches the pilot.) Aaaaa!
What? What happened?!
DID IT JUST MOVE?
Cody...
Wanna wait outside, Cody?
No, I want to see that...

Too spooky for me... But we must press on and lay hands on this not-zombie.

Just a piece of paper. Cargo manifest. Let's take a look.

A cargo manifest (0 kg).

Only one thing of worth here, and that's the air tanks. If we end up needing something else, we know where to find this place.

(Interaction - Pilot) This poor guy can't help me in any other way.
(Interaction - Transponder) (He touches the transponder.) That thing flashed for long enough.
(Interaction - Transponder) The transponder is already disabled.

That's everything to do with the front of the plane, so back to the cargo hold to look for crate 5.

(Interaction - Any crate) This crate is sealed shut. I won't be able to open it with my bare hands.

Time for the crowbar to pry this loot box open.

Let's see what's inside...

(Interaction - Crate labeled "5") Air tanks. Not many of them, but they seem large and quite heavy.

Air tanks (8 kg). They sure weigh a lot for just being air.

(Interaction - Crate labeled "5") I already took some tanks. The ship has limited capacity for those anyway.

I decide to hit up the Sidereal offices in the city before the construction site. I figure we only need one thing from there, and that's whatever is in Lab 13.

And here we go... The key from the bus unlocks the door, as expected.

This lab has seen better days. Let's poke around.

(Interaction - Either PC) It's not powered. Or it's broken. Or both.
(Interaction - Piece of paper near right PC) This is a list of... hmm... patients? Yes. Sleeper Clinic patients. Each has another name assignd in a "visitor" column. I recognize those. Those are Sidereal Plexus officials. Why do they match coma patients with visitors? Cate...?
Ugh. I regret ever working for them. I had no idea.
No idea about what?
I'll tell you later. We have to focus on other things now.

A set of vials (0.1 kg). Each vial has a label with symbols.
A set of vials (0.1 kg). Each vial has a label with symbols.

Whoever worked here knew what was going to happen to the moon, but their findings were ignored or buried. There is a chemical mixer on the left for these chemicals we found. Maybe we can whip up that experimental medicine for extra air here.

The Waste's Mystery

There are pill casings on the right tray to pour the medicine we make in, an empty tray in the center, six slots for chemical vials with buttons next to them, and a yellow mixing button to, presumably, mix the chemicals we want to use. The chemical formula is easily accessible on the left side for reference.

(Interaction - Stack of pill casings) I could use that to retrieve the mix once it's done.

Let's use the sets of vials we got on the mixer.

So. We need to replicate the formula using the vials we got. Each vial can only be used once. From what I can tell, we need two blue circles, four double red lines, and three single black lines. I assume the mixer does the proper chemical binding for us.

No, it's not cocaine. That's our lung capacity medicine right there. Time to scoop it up with the pill casings.

I've put some powder into pill casings.

(Interaction - Any part of the machine) I don't need to mix anything else. I'm done here.

What did you do?
I think those pills will increase lung efficiency.
You think? Are you really going to digest an unknown, probably untested, chemical?
Not just me. You should do it, too.
Eh, alright. Don't forget to share those pills then.

A handful of pills for lung efficiency (0 kg). A handful of pills that supposedly increase lung efficiency. I hope it's safe.

Just say "yes" to drugs, kids!

Hey, so, before I forget... Here. Take one right before we lift off.
Hah.
What?
"Take one before we lift off." You sound like a drug dealer using some weird slang.
Hah.

10:34 am: I gave lung-expanding pills to Cate.

Hey, Cody. Here, take this.
What's that?
Medicine.
I'm not feeling sick.
I know, but this will help you breathe in the spaceship.
Will I be able to breathe in space?!
No, not really... Just keep this pill and swallow it right before we launch.
Okay...

10:34 am: I gave lung-expanding pills to Cody.

I created special pills.
Let me guess, you want me to take one.
Yes.
Normally if someone would tell me to take a pill that's going to help me get to the Moon...
Yeah, I know. Just make sure to swallow it right before we launch, okay?
Sure thing.

10:34 am: I gave lung-expanding pills to Barry.

Pills here! Does anyone want a second dosage?

Hey, it's the drug dealer again. I already have a pill from your stash.

Cody, please remind me. Did I already give you the pills?
Yes, you did.
Thanks.

Hey, did I...?
Yes. I already have a pill.

We'll be flying high with these babies, and breathe well to boot. That's about everything that we can do here.

Onwards to the construction site.

The place looks a lot more deserted without Razor's gang guarding the place.

(Interaction - Ammo boxes) I don't need anything from this.
(Interaction - Food supplies) I don't need to do anything with it.

Not even set it on fire as a farewell present to a dying world? You have no sense of imagination, David.

The front of the construction site has a magazine, a welding kit on the metal I-beams, and a rusty scaffolding full of sharp edges. Our friends have thoughts on this area.

Any thoughts, Cate?
Let's find what can be useful for us and leave. Except for some materials, I'm not sure if there is anything for us here.

Wow! So cool! There are so many things here... What does that machine do? Oh! And that one? Hey, look! This thing looks dangerous...
Don't touch anything Cody!
Hey, hey! Look at that!
CODY!

I've heard about it. People from the city started feeling tight in their megalopolis, so this developer decided to build a residential area in the suburbs.
As you can see, construction was never finished.
Maggie and I didn't like the idea. It would have been too close to our house. We were happy to have a small piece of heaven to ourselves. Kinda silly, I know.

I'm curious about that magazine on the wheelbarrow, which seems like it fits there perfectly. "Weekly Conspiracy," huh?

Aliens...?
*sigh* No, David. No aliens. Don't believe in everything you read. Even if... it's not far from the actual truth.
It isn't?
Let's move, David.

I want to believe... that we can reach that welding kit to help us get to the moon.

(Interaction - Welding kit) I can't reach that.
(Item - Rope with hook on welding kit) It's a delicate piece of equipment. I can't just toss a hook at it in hopes of pulling it back!
(Item - Crowbar on welding kit) Poking it won't help. There's gotta be a way to get in there and pick it up.
(Interaction - Rusty scaffolding) Ouch! This metal is rusty and covered with spikes. I'm gonna cut my hands and bleed to death if I try to climb it.

Maybe if we had some protection for our hands, perhaps some gloves... I don't see any here. Time to explore other places for anything of use.

Investigation

I hit up Barry's home, the restaurant, the gas station (where I take the opportunity to refill our gas canister), and the destroyed bridge, but they were all busts. On arriving back at our house, I find a crashed bike on the side of the path leading up to it. It was here before, but I didn't notice it. Oops!

Protective gloves (0.1 kg). A pair of leather biker gloves.

Good! Maybe these gloves will help us climb the rusty scaffolding. Let's head back to the construction site.

Using the gloves on the scaffolding lets David climb up like a champion in no time. Up on top, there's a buckle to the left.

(Interaction - Buckle) This was used to pull heavy weights up and down. Maybe this could help me somehow.

Our handy rope and hook will help us!

In no time flat, we land on the platform with the welding kit.

A welding kit (1 kg). Welding equipment, together with a welder mask.

David must have been a rock climber or just has really strong leg and back muscles, because he climbs back up the rope and down the scaffolding without a single minute passing by. Carrying around that backpack must really build up your quads and lats.

With all that extra legwork done, it's time to head back to the outpost. We have the fingerprint from the bus, air tanks from the plane, lung-expanding medicine from the offices, and a welding kit from the construction site. It's time to get the spaceship shipshape.

First, the fingerprint scanner.

(Item - Fingerprint impression on fingerprint scanner) Well, here goes nothing.

This is a storeroom or storage closet with two "weird devices" we can interact with. Let's grab them both.

A calibrator (2.5 kg). A device used to calibrate engines so they give a steady, even thrust when fired.
A LiOH filter (2.5 kg). A lithium hydroxide filter.

Good, we needed that filter. I'll leave the calibrator behind, as the ship's current one is in working order.

Sand's everywhere now after opening the hatch. Let's get to fixing the interior of the ship.

The filter here needs replacing, so I slot it in and all is working properly.

11:45 am: I replaced the LiOH filter.

Next are the air tanks, which also just get shoved in without any trouble.

11:45 am: I installed a reserve air tank.

The last thing to do is weld that hole shut.

(Item - Welding kit on crack) Yes, a welding torch will do. But I need to plug it in to power... and I need some material to cover the crack with.
(Item - Welding kit on socket) I've plugged in the welder kit. It's powered. Now I just need some material to weld.
(Item - Metal plate on plugged welding kit) This will do nicely. I have to put the plate directly on the surface I want to patch.

There won't be any loss of cabin pressure on this ship!

12:15 pm: I patched the hull inside the ship.

(Item - Metal plate welded to a wall) I hope this will hold. It has to.

Let's take out the welding kit. We'll need to make the ship travel fast and light. I'll give the control room another glance.

Alright, the skies are clear for real.

The diagnostics tell us the ship is as good as it's going to be, and just advises us to consider using air-saving pills, which we have.

So, what do you think, Cate? Can this baby fly?

Are we ready to launch?
I've made some calculations, and we barely have enough fuel to get to our destination. We have to limit our weight... and you seem to be carrying a lot of stuff with you.
I like picking things up. You never knew when you're gonna need a water sprayer.
Well, now you have to say goodbye to your belongings. Take only things that weigh, say, one kilogram in total.
One kilogram. Fine.

One kilogram, ladies and gentlemen. We can take off at any time.

Inside

This is our current inventory. This does not include items from the crates we didn't rip open in the downed airplane, since they don't seem to play a role here.

:siren: The vote for today is simple. What do we take to space? We have a one kilogram weight limit. I want to carry both of the floppy disks, the dead bird and Capitalism the friendly dead locust, and the lung efficiency pills, which combined weigh 0.1 kg. We have 0.9 kg of weight remaining. Is there anything else we should take with us? Should we go back to the plane and grab some instant noodles or something else from it? Let me know!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

amogus

You're taking that drat glue gun to the moon

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Who needs floppy disks?
Take the cash, and the coats. Space is cold.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
If adventure games eve taught me anything, you never let go of your trusty crowbar and duct tape.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

OutofSight posted:

If adventure games eve taught me anything, you never let go of your trusty crowbar and duct tape.

:hmmyes: also the paperclip so we can penny trade our way to a house when we get to an alien civilisation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The ID Cards, The Can of Gas if possible, and the Flamethrower.

It gets cold up in space!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Knife, cuz you never know when you'll have Razor needs

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I had a dream about this and the knife and the crowbar were too heavy. The instant noodles aren't though, but the dream didn't indicate anything else possibly worth bringing along aside from the disks and of course our dead animal friends.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
all the cards and some instant ramen

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Bring the gun, in case the moon's haunted.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Olive Branch posted:

:siren: The vote for today is simple. What do we take to space? We have a one kilogram weight limit. I want to carry both of the floppy disks, the dead bird and Capitalism the friendly dead locust, and the lung efficiency pills, which combined weigh 0.1 kg. We have 0.9 kg of weight remaining. Is there anything else we should take with us? Should we go back to the plane and grab some instant noodles or something else from it? Let me know!

Maybe we should bring the ID Cards if they haven't been left in various readers around?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
ID cards, and as many tools as possible. Screwdriver, wrench, crowbar, hammer, knife, shovel in order of value.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Just caught up with the last few pages, can't believe David was just Wesley Sniping people from the roof!

We have to take the paper clip to space, for reasons. Also take the flag and a suitable flagpole like the shovel handle and plant a loving burger flag on the moon already :patriot: :burger:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

This time around not much was suggested to be carried. We're taking the floppy disks, the lung pills, the dead bird and locust, the duct tape, some instant noodles, a warm jacket, the paper clip, the kitchen knife, and the wad of cash. Sadly, some of the other items were either too heavy or were used up entirely when they served their purpose.

Covering Ground

I've opened another crate.
(Interaction - Crate labeled "3") A lot of instant noodles...

Instant noodles (0.2 kg). A pack of instant noodles.

(Interaction - Crate labeled "3") Not really. The ship won't take off if we eat too many of those.

While everything else was available in the safehouse's storage chest, the instant noodles had to be torn out of the plane's crates. And with that last use of the crowbar, we leave it behind, as it weighs too much for the trip up to space. This is our final inventory before takeoff.

Alone

All that's left now is to interact with the cockpit's controls, and we're out of here. Cate, Barry, Cody, and David, all together, escaping this dying planet.

Are we ready to launch?
Ready when you are, David.

We need to take the pills before takeoff if we're going to get any proper use out of them. Everyone else already has some, too. Hit it, Cate!

Long Nights

All systems green? Well... some systems were green. You didn't have time to check every last nut or seal, like people did before launching rockets in the old days.

Five... Four... Three... Two...

One...! Zero!

Thank you, Maggie. Your message from our dream saved Barry's life. Another David in another time sacrificed Barry for Cody, I am sure of it now.

He silently watched you soar, clenching his jaw as hard as he was clenching his fists. Looking around the wasteland he decided this place was as good as any other. He sat down and waited, looking at your ship going up and the Moon going down.

See you in hell, Razor.

"Would you look at that?" smirked Sarge, slowly shaking his head. "That kid actually did it. Good luck with whatever you find there," he added, before he turned away. The whole squad decided to open their last bottle of whiskey and drink it as the world around them started falling apart.

Goodbye, Sarge. May you and your men go to Valhalla. Thanks for not siding with Razor last night.

The composition was perfect. The air reserves sustained you for a long time.

It absorbed the carbon dioxide in the air, making it more breathable.

When the regular air ran low, the reserves kicked in, providing you with more life-saving oxygen.

Your repairs saved a lot of air from leaking out.

You took one, and it reduced the amount of air you used during the flight.

Another Sunrise

Another perfect survival, making this a perfect set of days! Pat yourselves on the back, guys, we earned it. Now it's Cate's turn to take this baby home.

Despite the bumpy landing that tore up the ship's wheels and exterior, it seems the inside is intact and everyone is okay. At least for now. The moon awaits!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 3, 2021

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

The warning klaxon sounds away as the ship shakes from lunar tremors. Let's get the spacesuits and get out of here!

(Interaction - Hatch or storage compartment) I should check up with everyone before I start doing anything else.

OK, fair point. Let's get Cate, Cody, and Barry up on their feet.

Cate, are you alright?
Uhh... that wasn't one of my best landings.
I've never seen you do any better.
Could be worse though, couldn't it? In my defense, it was my first time landing on the Moon.

Cody, you okay?
Uh... I don't know.
Can you stand?
I think... What's that sound? Are we going to die?

Barry, are you hurt?
I don't think so. Just some bruises.
Try to stand up. We have to move.
We're losing air, David. Now is the time to use the space suits.

With everyone up and safe, we can ask them about their thoughts on actually being on the moon! The moon, guys!

Wow. We made it. We actually made it.
I never doubted we would. But... I guess I owe it to you... Come on, let's move. It's not safe in here.

How are you holding up?
Uh, I feel dizzy, and I don't like spaceships anymore. Can we go outside yet?
You're probably right. We should hurry up.

How are you holding up?
I can't believe we're here. I was sure we'd...
Yeah. But we're here.

And now it's time to leave!

(Interaction - Hatch) It'd be a good idea to wear a space suit before opening this door.

Jeez, David. Way to have a sense of self-preservation. Let's don those suits and get out of here.

Dibs on the coolest!

We're all ready to go, even though Cody's suit doesn't fit him right. The sleeves are too long and his helmet keeps slipping down his head.

(Interaction - Storage compartment) I already have a space suit.

The moon's edges are crumbling away before our very eyes, but the base isn't far. Let's chat with the gang again.

I still can't believe we're here...
You'd better start believing. Being on the Moon is the least of the unbelievable things here.
What do you mean by that...?
Let's get to the Moon base I'll show you.

We're on the Moon, Cody!
Look at me! I'm in space!
Yes you are!
Yay! This suit is too big for me.
Maybe a bit. I think you're doing great, though.
But what now?
Let's keep going. Just stay close to me!
Okay!

Welcome to the Moon, Barry.
I can't believe we're here.
Look at the Earth. Just look at it.
Yeah... I see it. Remember what it looked like when they showed it on TV? It was blue and green. It has changed a lot since then. Soon there won't be even this...
Yeah. That's why we have to hurry, I think.

(Interaction - Crashed shuttle) There's no point going back there...

But what if I forgot little Capitalism all alone? We need our animal friends!

An airlock blocks the path inside...

(Interaction - Airlock) I have to find a way to open this door.

Not a difficult puzzle here. I just need to rotate the layered rings until the patterns make one line.

There is the sound of a lock opening, and the airlock slides open with a whoosh. In we go.

Great, because I'm almost out of oxygen...

Let's look around.

As I check our inventory, the base shakes and rumbles and the lights flicker. What's the way out of here? Does anyone have any ideas about the place?

So, what do you think of this place?
It's... bigger than I imagined.
Really? It doesn't look that huge...
Look around, David. Most of this is impossible with current technology. Hell, I doubt it's even possible with whatever technology would be available 50 years from now.
So... what does that mean, exactly?
It means Sidereal Plexus likes to borrow technology from other places.

I don't know. This place is cool, but I'm also scared. Is there a name for this feeling?
Hmm. You're... awestruck?
And a bit dizzy.

It feels like I'm in a dream.
Maybe we are.
It surely is... otherworldly in here.

There is a passage to the left, and a passage to the right. Left first, why not?

Cate?
Sleeper pods.
Why are people here? You said they all left. You said they went to a different dimension or something.
They did. This is what they left behind.
Cate, you said they escaped!
They did, David. Check out their neural activity monitors. They are flat. Because their bodies are here, sleeping. But their minds... left this place. They traveled through the Realm of Dreams and already woke up in safety, months ago. Pods just sustain their empty bodies here. Not that it's required, but if for any reason anyone wanted to get back, they still can. At least for now.
Wait... I've got some questions.

Many of these questions are familiar... We can ask about the sleeper pods, what happens if their body dies, what the Realm of Dreams is, and why the sleeper pods have to be on the moon. What are these "sleeper pods" exactly?

So... it's some sort of hibernation?
Yes, so the body doesn't die while the consciousness is elsewhere.

So "what happens if the body dies," doesn't their mind also go?

What happens if the body dies?
In any normal circumstances, your mind would die, too. But Sidereal has discovered something. I don't know what it is exactly, but they can completely separate the mind from the body. So when the Moon hits Earth and everything here blows up, it won't matter to them.

That is some scary technology, but maybe that explains why so much of this was familiar. We've gone through this before, haven't we? And we traveled the "Realm of Dreams" to do it?

Realm of Dreams?
A poetic name, but quite graphic. Sidereal has discovered that the human mind is capable of accessing this... place. A vast network, connecting every mind. As it later turned out, it reached far beyond every mind in the world. It can connect minds across universes.

If the Realm of Dreams is a place any of us can access, then that shadowy figure is some sort of guardian or predator? Whatever they are, is there a reason "why sleeper pods have to be on the Moon?"

Why do the sleeper pods have to be on the Moon? Why even bother flying here if all they do is put you in a pod?
Their pods are extremely susceptible to any interference. Especially radio waves. Humanity used to produce a giant mess of electromagnetic waves of various frequencies. Radio broadcasts, TV, communications. I can go on and on. Sidereal found it next to impossible to come up with a location desolate enough for their sleeper pods to work as intended. Faraday cage shielding was partially effective, but it was apparently causing some side effects. Early experiments led to some awful failures. They finally came up with the idea that the only thing that would shield the sleeper pods well enough would be...
The Moon.

We can now ask about "other interferences," too.

What about Moon-Earth communication? What about radio waves from space? Don't they interrupt the sleeper pods?
Sidereal's own communication devices work on frequencies outside the harmful spectrum. Space radiation. drat it, David. I don't know! They must have found a way around it. I'm not a physicist.

That's all we've got for now. "Goodbye," Cate, let's keep looking around.

So, that's our way out. We get into those pods and we dream our way out of here. Wake up somewhere safe.
I'm not sure how I feel about that idea. But then again... what do we have to lose?

Yes... our memories must merge after awakening. That's got to be it! There are four empty pods we can use, a black access card lying on the ground, and a diagnostics screen on the computer displays on the left.

(Interaction - Any empty sleeper pod) This pod is empty... but closed.

An access card (0 kg).

Some base worker or scientist must have dropped this. It may come in handy.

Hmm. No disks in the drives, eh? The computer's locked though. Cate?

"The controls are locked" for the memory screens.

The controls are locked.
We've gotta unlock them, fast. I think it can be done in the control room.
If you say so.

(Item - Floppy disk on console controls) The console seems to be locked.

That's all we can do here. Let's head to the right passage.

Every moment that passes means the Earth approaches closer, the base shakes harder, and more chunks of the moon fall away, so let's move on. To the control room!

The control room has a card reader and a base control computer. The access card we got may be used in the reader, but what about the computer?

(Interaction - Card reader) There's a slot for an access card.

We can't access the base control computer alone, so we'll probably need to use the access card.

Awesome.

Only one way forward and to survival!

(Interaction - Base control computer) I've done all I had to do here. Time to move.

I hope you're all ready for a nice long dream, people! I'll go check the sleeper pod diagnostics again.

Oh, no. No, no, no. Check that again. Maybe it was just a glitch.
It still says "phase controller corrupted."
It has already happened. It keeps happening.
Cate? You're not making any sense... Cate?
Yeah?

Not that we're in a rush or anything, but we can ask Cate about a few more things. First, "what's the 'phase controller'" this computer is giving lip about?

What's the "phase controller?"
It's a system designed to transmit human consciousness to a selected target.
Target? A human in another world?
Yes. Usually an otherwise braindead clone they've prepared especially for this purpose... or a patient in a coma, in the worlds like ours, where cloning has not been developed yet. This is how they used to navigate between worlds. Go to sleep here, target a sleeping human vessel in another world and wake up there.
I'm not sure if this is more terrifying or more unbelievable.
If that controller is disabled, we can't select a target body or world.

That sounds bad. We can't target ourselves, then? "What's the 'emergency merge mode'" and why does it make my brain itch?

So what's the "emergency merge mode?"
When the primary phase controller is disabled, a backup system kicks in. It targets a random world and a random sleeping person.
Without their consent?
Yes. However, for some reason, when this happens you almost always end up in your own body. But in a different world.

A couple more options appear, but I'll keep to the original questions. "Where will we go?"

Where will we go?
Well, without the phase controller, two things can happen. We can end up in limbo, in the dream world, without bodies to return to. Or we can wake up in our own bodies in a different world. A different version of our world.
Like... one where all this never happened? A world where there was no lunar explosion in 1996?
Hopefully... Yes, hopefully.

We've already tried this, haven't we? "What do you mean 'it has already happened?'" Am I right, then? We're on a loop of sorts?

What do you mean "it has already happened?"
I'm... not sure. The dreams we both had. Warning you about incoming threats. Showing me where the Sidereal office building was. Those might have been our own memories. From our past lives. That would mean I've been through this. We all have.

So "are we going to remember any of this?" How long have we been doing this now?

The computer says something about memory loss.
Yeah. When your mind ends up in your own body in a different world, this is what happens. You merge. Your current memories... become distant. Like a dream that you've forgotten.
It doesn't sound like we're going to make it in one piece after all...
It's better than dying completely, I guess.

Isn't this "a paradox" then? We definitely had more advanced warning, as it were, of meeting each other this time around, if this has happened more than once.

But if my past me warned me about the incoming events, who warned him? Another me? Who warned that other me? When did it all begin?
As far as I know, the number of worlds might be infinite. It's better not to think about it.

We've got nothing else to ask, but I think we've asked these questions before, and with the same answers, too. Let's say "goodbye" and see what we can do with the disks afterwards.

We have no other choice, David. We've got to use those pods, whether they're fully operational or not.
Can't we fix the damaged systems?
Even if we knew how, it would probably take days. We definitely don't have that much time. Let's do this. Quick. This whole place is falling apart.

On cue, four sleeper pods open up, inviting us to a special sort of sleep. But before closing our eyes, we have to fix this system with the disks we've so carefully taken with us thanks to Cody's and Barry's help.

(Item - Red floppy disk on console controls) I've inserted the "PHASE CTRL LITE" disk into Drive B. The computer reads it...

I hope this is going to make things better...

We can tell Cate it's time to sleep, but the disk comes first, then the other one.

I've inserted a special disk into the console.
What disk?
A disk I found in the Sidereal Plexus office. The computer says it will increase the memory transfer, or something like that. Do you think it's gonna help?
Yeah, I guess so. Even a single helper program like this could make a huge difference... If our memories are transferred intact... Or at least in a greater, more consistent rate... This could be huge, David. This might actually save us.

I'm not done saving us just yet!

(Item - Blue floppy disk on console controls) I've inserted the "MEM BOOST" disk into Drive A. The computer reads it...

I have a memory of inserting a single disk into this console in a previous life. Maybe now... with both disks in place... things are going to be okay...?

Now we can tell Cate we've inserted both disks into the computer. Could this be what saves us all in the end? Just two small pieces of plastic with some data in them?

I've inserted two special disks into the console.
What disks?
One was labeled "Memory Boost" and the other was "Phase Controller Lite." I found them at the Sidereal Plexus office. And I know they're gonna help, because I remember using one disk in my previous life.
What, what...? You actually remember being here?
Vaguely. Like a dream.
If one disk caused this... Two of them might actually boost the system enough for us to...
To survive. To end this.
How many loops do you remember?
I'm sure about one. But then again, I had prophetic dreams in that previous life, too, so... I guess we've been through a lot. And hopefully this is the last one.
Let's do it, then...

(Interaction - Any empty sleeper pod) I think I should ask others if they want to go first.

Right, I can't go to sleep first. We need to put our people to bed. While I'd leave it up to you guys to decide the order, I feel like this may be the end of it all, so the order will be decided by me! Cody first, because he's just a boy and they go to sleep before their parents do, then Barry, as he's been through a lot and needs his rest, and finally Cate, who has been with us the longest.

It's "time to sleep, Cody."

Cody... It's time.
I don't want to sleep.
I know, but we all have to.
I won't be able to sleep now. I'm too scared.
This machine will help you. Come on. Don't be scared.
What will happen? Where will we go?
(Cody walks to a pod.) I... don't know. But it's going to be alright.

Survival

Goodnight, Cate.
Sleep well, kid.
You too, Barry. David? I don't want to be alone again.
You won't be. Wherever you wake up... I will find you.
Promise?
Promise.

(Interaction - Cody's sleeper pod) Sleep well, little prince.

That's Cody done...

Barry, "it's time to say goodbye."

I don't like this idea, David. I know what you want to say, and I don't like it.
To be honest, I have no idea if this does anything or if we are just being delusional.
Nothing to lose, right?
We came this far. Might as well give it a shot. Want me to go first?
(Barry walks to a pod.) Nah, it's okay. You seem to be the one who knows which buttons to press.

Maybe I was wrong about you.
I'm... I'm glad you think so. I know I can be... unpleasant.
Yes. But that's just a mask and I can see that. You're a good person, Cate. Keep it that way. See you around.
Bye, big man.
Hey, David?
Yes?
You say we can... find ourselves anywhere, in any world?
That's how I understand it.
You think... You think I'll see her? Maggie. My wife.
I don't know, Barry. But I think there's a chance you will. Say hello to her for me.
Sure thing, David. Sure thing.

(Interaction - Barry's sleeper pod) You've earned some rest, buddy.

And that leaves you, Cate... "Time to sleep."

Time to sleep, right? Or should I go first?
It's okay. Remember to turn off the lights. And promise you won't do anything stupid.
(Cate walks to a pod.) Have I ever done anything stupid?
Hah, you're funny.

Survival

Here we are. At the end of the road. Or is it the beginning? I wouldn't have made it here if it wasn't for you.
Are you getting emotional now?
Hah. I think I've spent too much time with you.
Where do you hope to wake up?
In a bed. In a world where they have a Moon and lattes.
I hope that's what happens.
Me too. Bye, David. Until we meet again.
Just don't point your gun at me when we do, okay?
Can't promise that.

(Interaction - Cate's sleeper pod) You are where you wanted, Cate. Let's hope you were right about all of this.

All that's left is our own pod.

Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream...

Well, don't just that beat all. The power went down just as we tried using ours! What can we do here... Do we have to go back to the main console to fix this?

As I make a dash for the main console, the "Long Nights" theme starts playing with the vocals, and the Earth approaches with every moment! This is our true final night of survival!

What other choice do we have? Do it! No one could rescue us now anyway!

Run, David! Run for your life!

Get in the pod, David! Escape! Survive this final night, and break the cycle! To a new world, one where the moon is still intact!

Investigation

A news headline detailing a canceled lunar launch, a steaming mug of coffee, a signed adoption permit, and a stuffed tiger.

In an office, a woman looks out her window as her computer searches for information on a man. On a street, that same man reads a newspaper. In a simple home, a couple holds hands. In an orphanage, a boy plays with his stuffed tiger.

One by one, they look up to the sky...

...Where the moon hangs in all its glory, as it has always done for millennia.

This has been Don't Escape: 4 Days to Survive, or Don't Escape: 4 Days in a Wasteland.

I want to thank everyone who participated in this Let's Play so far for helping David, Cate, Cody, and Barry survive and escape their doomed world. I also want to thank the creators of this game for their hard work and excellent story. My hat's off to your effort and creativity! I had a lot of fun experiencing this world alongside the readers!

However, we're not done quite just yet. "The Awakening" has been replaced by "Custom Game" in the main menu. There is one more loop to be experienced, an alternate timeline where everything could have ended quite differently... Are you prepared to awaken once more?

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 3, 2021

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That's a sweet, satisfying ending.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Legit was not expecting Razor to give up.

I'm not sure if it was an accident but some of your commentary seemed to get mingled with the game transcript and it worked to give the whole thing a weird feel.

Looking forward to the finale.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This was very cool. It would have been easy for someone to take a neat concept and gently caress it up, I'm glad it was so well done. Looking forward to what's left.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Hot drat! Looking forward to the Custom Game mode.

I also forgot to comment on it earlier, but the fact that one of the nights on the second loop had you need to stay somewhere besides the house was actually really, really neat, because the game had been training you to shore up the house for every eventuality up until that point.

Seconding the comment above me, too. This could have been done very poorly, but the game nails it.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Honestly surprised by that ending actually. Was expecting you to instead corrupt the system/dreamspace/whatever and just end the cycle. And die.

The series is called Don't Escape, after all.

Still, a neat game, and the ending does work. Thanks for showing it off Olive Branch!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i'm glad that ended well, and that we didn't end up in an unending loop. i'd like to see what "custom game" can do though

great lp. i really appreciate the effort!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Thanks for showing off this game! I'd never heard of the series before, but this game looks really cool and this was a fun LP to follow.

I'm surprised there's still more, so really looking forward to seeing the rest.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
But who are the shadow people?!

I hope we find out in Custom Game. :cheers:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

placid saviour posted:

They're the monsters from Deep Sleep, another series by the dev. So you'll need to play those games to learn more about them.

But this game probably doubles as their origin story.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 4, 2021

Bregor
May 31, 2013

placid saviour posted:

:same:

Thanks for the LP, Olive Branch! The presentation was so charming, and your work on the gifs definitely conveyed some of the heart this game has.

Now let's see what Custom Game has to offer :getin:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

:siren: There is goon participation in this entry! :siren:

Now that we've finished the game with its "true" ending, we have unlocked the option to play a custom game. But what does that mean, exactly?

Well, here's your answer. We can customize what scenarios we'll be facing in each day of survival, as well as what memory disks we used, if any. The one with Barry and the blue disk means that we would have to sacrifice Cody to obtain it when visiting the Sidereal Plexus office, while the gray disk means no disks were used at all, so we'd restart the game entirely. For this "what if?" cycle, I'm going to show what happens if we have used both disks, as well as a third problem that can kill us on the first day: poisonous gas. I will also show what happens if we mess up each day of survival imperfectly after we find our friends and don't bother to protect them. We'll be betraying their trust on purpose... Since we have to set our parameters, I'll leave the circumstances of this run to you after the first day. What will be the future threats David will have to face in this traitorous cycle?

For now, I'll lock in these settings and change them after your vote this episode. It's time to awaken once more in a cycle of incompetence and despair...

Once again, David walks into the frame from the darkness on the right. What is the death of this third cycle?

A cloud of green poisonous gas bursts into the room through the window, its corrisive acid eating away at David's skin, dissolving his flesh, and snuffing his life on this wasteland.

What a nightmare... It all felt so real. I feel there was... something more in that dream. Something... sad... and important. Why do I feel like this already happened? Yet something is different. I'm gonna find out what.

As before, David awakens and exists his trusty tent. We pick up the backpack and move on, when a green cloud rises from the horizon.

I think my nightmare might have been more than just a dream. I still have a couple of hours, but I have to find a shelter... fast.

Our task for this final alternate day? Avoid getting gassed to death. I'll skip through everything else we've already seen and show you the highlights and differences this time around.

Inside

After gaining access to the house, we find our first difference to survive this night: a kitchen towel hanging next to the keys.

A kitchen towel (0.2 kg). An old kitchen towel. It's always good to have a towel.

There's another towel in the bathroom.

A bathroom towel (0.2 kg). It's an old bathroom towel. It's always good to have a towel.

Wasteland

It looks like they were wearing hazmat suits. But the chemicals were too strong.

Our bodies at the roadblock east of the house are these poor bastards. Wearing a hazmat suit alone won't be enough to keep us safe from the poisonous gas, but maybe we can still use them. As a point of fact, we probably should...

(Interaction - Left corpse) The suit has been destroyed by incredibly strong chemicals and is of no use to me. Maybe the gas mask...? (David bends down and picks something up.) The gas mask is broken, but I managed to salvage an air filter.

An air filter (0.1 kg). A spare air filter for a gas mask.

(Interaction - Left corpse) There is nothing useful here.
(Interaction - Right corpse) There is a small leaflet in one of the pouches in the suit.

Ah. So the trick here is to decide later on whether to hide on the top floor or ground floor of the farmhouse, I bet. We'll need to keep that air density number, 1.61 kg/m3, in mind.

I don't want to take this piece of paper since it's highly contaminated with gas, but I've noted what's important in my journal.

09:58 am: If the gas density is higher than 1.61 kg/m3, I should stay on the upper floor. Otherwise, I should stay on the ground floor.

The truck is now labeled as "Chemical Emergency Response." Fat lot of good it did for those two poor saps back there. Still, we'll have to break in with the crowbar.

The truck is certainly laid out differently this time around. There are three valves labeled A, B, C, and a disposal sink to the left. Four lockers are nearby.

(Interaction - Any valve) I need a proper container for that.
(Interaction - Disposal sink) The sink is used to dispose of unwanted chemical liquids.

I open the lockers, one locked and pried open with the crowbar, of course. We have us a hazmat suit, duct tape, and an empty chemistry flask with a sticky note taped to the door. Time to loot!

09:58 am: I have a hazmat suit that I'll wear for protection.

A hazard suit (4 kg). Upon closer inspection the suit turns out to have a big hole. Also, the gas mask filter seems to be faulty.

Figures that we'd get the reject. We have an air filter from the dead guy, so maybe that'll fix the suit later.

An empty chemistry flask (0.1 kg). A glass intended for short-term storage of chemical substances.

A chemical emergency response truck sticky note (0 kg).

This explains the valves and disposal sink in the truck. We'll need to find some way to check the pH value of the toxic gas and neutralize it with the correct combination of response components on the back of the truck and water. Time to hunt around for that toxin...

After I build a bridge to get across the ravine of the destroyed bridge, I happen to spot something new: a weather drone next to the road. Maybe it has the information about the gas that we need?

(Interaction - Weather drone) It's an automated drone used to measure weather conditions. Looks like it's too damaged to ever fly again, but there is still something on its display.

Nice, we got what we need. The pH of the toxin is 2, its gas density is 1.59 kg/m3, and its molar mass is 97.03 g/mol. I don't know if we'll need the molar mass value yet, but let's keep in mind, eh?

A weather drone (2 kg).

David takes the drone rather than record the info on his journal, apparently unconcerned about contamination. Where was this careless attitude with the leaflet on the dead guy's body?

I return to the chemical response truck to make the pH-neutralizing compound with the chemistry flask we got. Since the pH is 2, we need to combine response components from valves A and B.

A glass half-full of the "A" liquid (0.5 kg). Half-full or maybe half-empty? Hmm...

A glass full of the mix of "A" "B" liquids (1 kg). It has a strange color and an awful smell.

I believe we'll need to aerosolize this chemical compound in the farmhouse's irrigation system to counter the gas, much like in the times fighting the spiders and locusts.

Investigation

Success! I've patched up the pipe using duct tape and installed the chemical flask in the pesticide dispenser outlet. All I have to do is play that minigame to turn on all the irrigation pipes.

03:53 pm: I scheduled the water sprinklers, mixed with chemicals, to put out a wall of mist by the time the gas cloud arrives. Hopefully the chemicals will weaken the cloud...

It's almost time for us to hunker down for the night. There are two votes for your consideration today.

:siren: First, how should we protect ourselves for the night? I figure covering the windows with plastic wrap and nailing and duct taping them up will give the best protection against gas seeping in. We'll need to patch up the hazmat suit too, so I figure patching the hole on it with the towels with duct tape and replacing the air filter are important. Also, we should shelter in the ground floor as the gas density is lower than air. How do my preparations sound?

:siren: Second, what should our Day 2, Day 3, and Day 4 threats be? I don't really have any preference. Our friends are going to suffer either way...

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 23, 2021

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The plastic wrap might be better for patching the suit. Is duct tape airtight? Can we wet the towels with water or the neutralizing solution and use those to cover windows?

Also I'm voting heat, raiders, and the canister for our options the rest of the days.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Do well, but not too well.

Put up the plastic wrap with the duct tape, and reinforce the suit with the towels, but stay on the upper floor.

As for the days:
- Deep Freeze
- Thunderstorm
- Don't care

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ooh fun! It's like a Choose Your Own Misadventure.

Olive Branch posted:

:siren: First, how should we protect ourselves for the night? I figure covering the windows with plastic wrap and nailing and duct taping them up will give the best protection against gas seeping in. We'll need to patch up the hazmat suit too, so I figure patching the hole on it with the towels with duct tape and replacing the air filter are important. Also, we should shelter in the ground floor as the gas density is lower than air. How do my preparations sound?

:siren: Second, what should our Day 2, Day 3, and Day 4 threats be? I don't really have any preference. Our friends are going to suffer either way...

Cover the windows with plastic/duct tape and cover the holes in the suit with more duct tape. Also wherever you hunker down, jam towels under the doors.

I'll vote for cold, bandits, and fuel.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Now that we have seen this interface i can finally mention it - people have been talking about stuff like "oh the game has been conditioning you with cold on loop one so the option to cave is less obvious on loop 2", but it's not the case - on the first loop all threats are random. The second loop will always avoid picking threats that already happened on first loop. My first loop was locusts-heat-rain-fuel for example.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Theoretically then they wrote lines for every character on every threat.

It kind of explains why some of the lines felt... copy-pasty honestly.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Finished catching up. This game is a lot more creative than I thought. Especially surprised by the different disasters that can befall you in the first 3 days. Speaking of, I'd like to see a second run of those bandits/raiders, to see what would happen if you poisoned their food and other options we didn't take. The rest of the days I don't care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I'll get an update up this Sunday (today). Been putting off an update for far too long playing DOOM Eternal and Baldur's Gate.