Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Man I don't know if I care for this direction that surprise, lol turns out the Kid was literally The Morning Star, Lucifer, and the "dimensional refugee who causes localized catastrophic entropy by his very presence causing friction with the fundamental forces of reality" bit was all bullshit. Everything about his story that filled in the pieces of Henry Deaver's story was made up. Henry Deaver just experienced A Weird with no explanation and Satan used it as an excuse to get trapped in a cell, for reasons. No ambiguity. There's more of the season left, sure, and I can be wrong but I liked what I thought they were going for better.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Latest ep was pretty pointless on the whole, a total time-killer until we get to the season climax. At least it was mercifully short

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Man it's really cool that they decided to make Annie Wilkes skinny because she's supposed to be sympathetic now.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just watched S2E1

Jfc Annie

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 28, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

Man it's really cool that they decided to make Annie Wilkes skinny because she's supposed to be sympathetic now.

I mean, she’s still a psychotic who slashed her daughter half-sister, who she kidnapped, with a piece of glass and has a voice inside of her head telling her she had to kill her daughter/sister to save her, but since she’s skinny, that makes her totally sympathetic. :pwn:

The Annie in this show is much younger than the one in Misery too, I wonder what Kathy Bates looked like when she was younger...

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 29, 2019

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Man I don't know if I care for this direction that surprise, lol turns out the Kid was literally The Morning Star, Lucifer, and the "dimensional refugee who causes localized catastrophic entropy by his very presence causing friction with the fundamental forces of reality" bit was all bullshit. Everything about his story that filled in the pieces of Henry Deaver's story was made up. Henry Deaver just experienced A Weird with no explanation and Satan used it as an excuse to get trapped in a cell, for reasons. No ambiguity. There's more of the season left, sure, and I can be wrong but I liked what I thought they were going for better.

I'd say it's quite ambiguous. If you think Satan is the only one with that kind of power in King's work, I envy the reading that's ahead of you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The “Angel” who killed the Salem’s Lot colonists is revealed to be Bill Skarsgard who played The Kid in the first season, the one Henry ends up imprisoning in the bottom of Shawshank Prison. I don’t know if he’s the same character as the Kid. This is what Ace was doing at Shawshank. I don’t know if it’s the same character, of if The Kid is a reincarnation of The Angel. I’m not sure how much Stephen King you’ve read but it seems like he could be playing Randall Flagg, a very important King character who pops up in a lot of his books as a villain.

I wonder if this was planned back when they did the first season or they saw Bill Skarsgard blow up playing Pennywise and decided to keep him around.
Wow, I completely missed that. Faceblindness strikes again. Thank you so much for explaining.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'll be honest... I have no clue what the gently caress even happened in season 1 as is
It was a meditation on doubt. Good people doing bad things and doubting weather or not they're even the right things. I sorta' wish it had ended differently, but that was the story they were telling and I can't fault them for swinging for the fences.

The kid was either Henry Deaver the orphan from a different timeline or a malevolent evil that needed to be kept at bay and us not knowing was the point, even if it chafed a bit as it happened.

But having him show back up? This could be cool. That story might still be an important piece of a larger arc the show's taking on, and I'm a sucker for big picture continuity between anthology series.

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah, this really sucks.

ruddiger posted:

I mean, she’s still a psychotic who slashed her daughter half-sister, who she kidnapped, with a piece of glass and has a voice inside of her head telling her she had to kill her daughter/sister to save her, but since she’s skinny, that makes her totally sympathetic. :pwn:

The Annie in this show is much younger than the one in Misery too, I wonder what Kathy Bates looked like when she was younger...

If you ignore all the filmmaking and writing techniques designed to make us sympathize with her as a protagonist, sure. But we've been following her story from the beginning. Her being insane is something happening to her she is actively fighting. It's her main antagonist. Kathy Bates' Wilkes being insane wasn't sympathetic. It was something she was doing to other people.

This whole season has been an exercise in making one of the most horrifying Stephen King characters into a relatable hero really trying her best. Why ignore that just to make a broader point that it's okay for TV execs to cast a thin person in a role written for a woman of size?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It was a meditation on doubt. Good people doing bad things and doubting weather or not they're even the right things. I sorta' wish it had ended differently, but that was the story they were telling and I can't fault them for swinging for the fences.

The kid was either Henry Deaver the orphan from a different timeline or a malevolent evil that needed to be kept at bay and us not knowing was the point, even if it chafed a bit as it happened.

Something I really liked about the first season is that it argued that ultimately, in most cases, it doesn't really matter. Whether the kid is an innocent stuck in an horrific situation or a demonic entity; whether Ruth is an out of control time traveller or a woman suffering from dementia; whether the Bed and Breakfast couple are murderers or victims of murderous influence; whether Henry's father was mad or a visionary.... none of it matters. The results of what was happening to them ultimately lead to the same place, and it's those actions that end up being the more important consideration.

So the Kid could have been innocent, but at some point he started deliberately killing people, so it really doesn't matter what he actually is.

Put a cat in a lead lined box, sure. Dead, alive, deeply inaccurate reading of the Copenhagen theorem, quantum superposition, whatever. But leave it there long enough and it's only going to be dead. Same thing here.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I'd say it's quite ambiguous. If you think Satan is the only one with that kind of power in King's work, I envy the reading that's ahead of you.

I'm familiar enough to know that King has all sorts metaphysical bad dudes, but the bit where The Angel first shows up and reveals his face is at the moment of a supernaturally bright dawn reminded me of the old Morning Star moniker for Lucifer. That the old Warden considered him Satan wasn't very convincing either way for me, but the backstory here reads about as definitive as King gets. A weird, dark warlock-looking dude, referred to as an Angel, who reveals himself in the light of dawn, who saves a once faithful colony on whom God turned his back, who grants conditional immortality and prosperity in return for extreme devotion and worship of graven images, who perverts Christian iconography like crucifixes through inverted stake burnings? It could very well just be another Interdimensional Space Bad, but it's such a demonstrably Satan Flavored Space Bad that it's a distinction without a difference to me so far.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
It's pretty obvious Skarsgard is playing a king, I'm just not sure which color.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The latest episode had me really on edge when the 'possessed' group (IDK what to call them, really. Body snatchers?) were coming after the survivors.

I really like Nadia and Abdi, so that's probably it. Annie I'm sure is safe, but those two, anything could happen to them. :ohdear:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Annie’s probably going to die while saving her daughter. Or she suicide bombs the body snatchers if her daughter dies. Either Nadia or Abdi make it out but not both. I love all the current remaining protagonists but I’m kinda hoping for a no survivors scenario. Joy and Chance feel like they’re being set up to be the young lovers from the book who both get turned and fly over the town in each other’s arms as it’s being destroyed.

Also, Annie came off pretty sympathetic this episode when she was with that guy strapped down to the bed and stabbed him in the eyes with those empty syringes (even after hearing about the drug they have that can fight off the possession). I may have to rethink my stance on that one. :rolleyes:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

This whole season has been an exercise in making one of the most horrifying Stephen King characters into a relatable hero really trying her best. Why ignore that just to make a broader point that it's okay for TV execs to cast a thin person in a role written for a woman of size?

I imagine they realized they could get Lizzie Caplan and then they cast her. I'm sure this was a conversation that came up in pre-production, "should we cast someone more 'similar-looking' to Kathy Bates?" But it's a wider systemic problem, right? Who is a known actor people have heard of, who can actually do the role well, who fits their budget, is available and interested, and ALSO is not conventionally skinny. As much as I, too, would like to have seen someone like Aidy Bryant or Jillian Bell or Gabby Sidibe go wild on this bizarre role, Lizzie Caplan is a way safer bet and is very good at it.

I don't really want to blast this show over representation, because IMO they're trying really hard to bring diverse casting to stories about a community in downeast Maine. I was psyched that Andre Holland was their lead last season, and the Somali Community arc this season is inspired (and factual: since the 90's, there actually is a Somali migrant population around Portland, ME.)

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Annie’s probably going to die while saving her daughter. Or she suicide bombs the body snatchers if her daughter dies. Either Nadia or Abdi make it out but not both. I love all the current remaining protagonists but I’m kinda hoping for a no survivors scenario. Joy and Chance feel like they’re being set up to be the young lovers from the book who both get turned and fly over the town in each other’s arms as it’s being destroyed.

Also, Annie came off pretty sympathetic this episode when she was with that guy strapped down to the bed and stabbed him in the eyes with those empty syringes (even after hearing about the drug they have that can fight off the possession). I may have to rethink my stance on that one. :rolleyes:

Unless I am mistaken...Annie isn't going to die, I thought this takes place before Misery.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This show is only borrowing characters and ideas from King’s books, their fates aren’t dictated by continuity. From S1 Alan Pangborn was the sherrif protagonist from Needful Things but those events never happened within the story of Castle Rock (Ace Merrill’s also one of the main characters from Needful Things). Joy’s friend Chance is supposed to be a reference to Gordie LeChance from Stand By Me (they even go looking for a body), only gender swapped. I’d love it for Annie to make it out, but the books don’t necessarily mean anyone’s safe.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 6, 2019

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Also, I assumed Annie's backstory wherein she is obsessed with and eventually kills her aspiring author dad was supposed to be their riff on Misery in the first place.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nope. If those two lesbian kids don't end up together because we need to bury our gays, I'm gonna' flip the gently caress out.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Nope. If those two lesbian kids don't end up together because we need to bury our gays, I'm gonna' flip the gently caress out.

I can't tell you how relieved I was that Chance didn't turn out to be a risen.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I can't tell you how relieved I was that Chance didn't turn out to be a risen.

Well, given that she's the actual artist of those charcoal drawings and not Joy, Chance isn't out of the woods on being The Vessel just yet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I'm guessing that Pops is planning some kind of Trojan Horse thing seeing as he shot himself up with the Haldol and sabotaged the bomb vest.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I missed the part about the Haldol, but I suspected the same when pop took a big rip off his medicine.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I just finished the first episode and Lizzy Caplan is adorable as Annie Wilkes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"I killed some people

Then I killed some more people"

in that goddamn accent.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So does the new episode drop at midnight tonight?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yep

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That was brutal.

Some of that music was gorgeous too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was just saying to myself that man, this ending is awfully bleak, then it wasn't then it was.

Also kind of an abrupt end to the Salem's Lot part of the story.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

gently caress you. gently caress you. gently caress you. gently caress you.

gently caress you. And gently caress you.

Twenty loving nineteen and we still have to bury our gays. And we couldn't stop with one of them, either. We had to kill loving both of them.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I always assumed Annie would kill Joy before the season was over, but after seeing how everything played out up until Canada, I really couldn’t see it happening any other way, and as soon as Let The River Run started playing and they showed Joy in her clothes from the first season, I thought it was pretty clear what was going to be revealed. I mean, it’s the lady from Misery. What else was gonna happen?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Starting episode five and I know I'm not supposed to but I'm rooting for Annie.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

My... heart...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

gently caress you. gently caress you. gently caress you. gently caress you.

gently caress you. And gently caress you.

Twenty loving nineteen and we still have to bury our gays. And we couldn't stop with one of them, either. We had to kill loving both of them.

Chance survived, but I get your point.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Xealot posted:

Also, I assumed Annie's backstory wherein she is obsessed with and eventually kills her aspiring author dad was supposed to be their riff on Misery in the first place.

And I assumed loving wrong on that.

I guess abrupt, unsatisfying endings are this show’s “thing,” because I felt the same sense of anticlimax with the first season. A ton of interesting concepts built up over several episodes, then resolved or dropped in an episode or two. The End.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That ending was beautifully tragic.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Xealot posted:

And I assumed loving wrong on that.

I guess abrupt, unsatisfying endings are this show’s “thing,” because I felt the same sense of anticlimax with the first season. A ton of interesting concepts built up over several episodes, then resolved or dropped in an episode or two. The End.

This show feels like someone fed every 3rd page of King's works into an AI script generator and then hired Lars von Trier to film the output.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 12, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

Chance survived, but I get your point.
Did she? I thought she got caught by the zombie crowd and blowed up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Did she? I thought she got caught by the zombie crowd and blowed up.

I thought the last we saw of her was when Pop gave her a gun and she said "thanks" and left. I didn't see any "bury our gays" in this, I feel like Joy was destined to die from the beginning.

But... I feel like I blinked and missed the end of the Salem's Lot storyline. They blew up the the Marsten house, The Kid/The Angel walked away and vanished and then... what? That's it?

Now that the show's over, what seminal King should I read? I read the first few Dark Tower books, and I'm not interested in starting It or The Shining right now. What's his best short story collection?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

I thought the last we saw of her was when Pop gave her a gun and she said "thanks" and left. I didn't see any "bury our gays" in this, I feel like Joy was destined to die from the beginning.

But... I feel like I blinked and missed the end of the Salem's Lot storyline. They blew up the the Marsten house, The Kid/The Angel walked away and vanished and then... what? That's it?

Now that the show's over, what seminal King should I read? I read the first few Dark Tower books, and I'm not interested in starting It or The Shining right now. What's his best short story collection?

Skeleton Crew and Nightmares And Dreamscapes have all his best short stories. Needful Things and Salem's Lot are both great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, the ending was kind of weird because we don't actually get a conclusion to the Salem's Lot story as Annie takes Joy and just books it. So basically all the other revived are still around?

For short story collections in my opinion the best are the early ones, Night Shift and Skeleton Crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Different Seasons has Shawshank, The Body (Stand By Me), and the Breathing Method, which are all fantastic short stories, two of which had characters and themes plucked from for the Castle Rock series.