Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Gatts posted:

Why did he need the rock as opposed to anything else available to him? Is there a symbolic meaning to using that? His fortune to bash the head in of his competition? Or could it be it depends on how you see other people and your interpretation, i.e. if you give benefit of the doubt/think there's good in people vs not.

The rock is the most obvious symbol in the movie, it’s symbolic value is made explicit in the dialogue of the film. It symbolizes the pursuit of wealth. So, here we have a member of the lower class ready to bash another member’s head in with a symbol of the relentless pursuit of wealth. It’s great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ogmius815 posted:

The rock is the most obvious symbol in the movie, it’s symbolic value is made explicit in the dialogue of the film. It symbolizes the pursuit of wealth. So, here we have a member of the lower class ready to bash another member’s head in with a symbol of the relentless pursuit of wealth. It’s great.

That is a good reading that does make sense, yeah.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ogmius815 posted:

And that pursuit of wealth bashed him in the head instead

It floats, suggesting maybe it was hollow, a hollow promise of wealth maybe (might be a stretch but maybe that’s also why he survives)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 17, 2020

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

And that pursuit of wealth bashed him in the head instead

It floats, suggesting maybe it was hollow, a hollow promise of wealth maybe (might be a stretch but maybe that’s also why he survives)

Did it float? I just thought it was sitting on top of some other rocks. When I see the movie for the second time tomorrow, I’ll watch out for that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just finished watching it and it did not float.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just finished "Knives Out". Not sure how this movie is "more leftist/more American flavor of leftists" than Parasite.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah the cops are the good guys

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just finished "Knives Out". Not sure how this movie is "more leftist/more American flavor of leftists" than Parasite.

"Knives Out" functions on the premise of the leftist hero winning by not lowering herself to the level of manipulation done by the murderer and manipulators among her, providing a hopeful example for decent human beings getting society out of the horrible mess they we are in without a campaign of deceit , only using dishonesty purely as a necessary tool rather than any instrument of vengeful catharsis. The protagonist of Knives Out wins by being a fundamentally good person and that message, while very wonderful imo, is in stark contrast with the message of Parasite.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"Knives Out" functions on the premise of the leftist hero winning by not lowering herself to the level of manipulation done by the murderer and manipulators among her, providing a hopeful example for decent human beings getting society out of the horrible mess they we are in without a campaign of deceit , only using dishonesty purely as a necessary tool rather than any instrument of vengeful catharsis. The protagonist of Knives Out wins by being a fundamentally good person and that message, while very wonderful imo, is in stark contrast with the message of Parasite.

A lot of the film was kind of dumb being honest.

Why would the housekeeper meet with someone she thinks is a murder in secret and not tell anyone and not carry a gun?

Why would the witness to seeing Ransom earlier have their testimony hold any weight if they also thought that the nurse was Ransom too?

I also dislike that the rear end in a top hat of the family was the murderer. It just fits too nicely and there wasn't much of a build up to "whodunit" after the halfway point of the film.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

might wanna take it to the Knives Out thread

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Parasite shitpost: does anyone else chuckle at Geunse and think of it as Goonse

where's your ring Goonse did you pawn it for an account?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This leads to my concluding point: it should be trivially easy to extricate Mr. Kim from the bunker, or for him to simply leave. He doesn’t leave because he understands the above truth, and is working to pass it on to others.

Great insights.

Determining a parasite in society places a primacy on the immediately seen which belies the unseen abstractions that lead to the unknowing usage of slave labor in our everyday lives. The seen/unseen dichotomy is reflected in the three respective living situations and leads to the elites reframing themselves as godlike “Job creators.” The unseen can be things that simply fade into the background, like the usage of cell phones throughout the film that require industrial labor to acquire lithium from Bolivia or the precarious Chinese workers who assemble them and use hazardous chemicals to wipe out any trace of human contact.

The husband living in the bunker doesn’t provide labor directly to the Park family, but indirectly as part of a social class, though also through the love he shares with his wife. Parasite depicts the underclass women as highly dependable and strong, whereas the men are emasculated and lost as they fail to meet society’s standards as to what a man should be. The rich wife’s listlessness inspires no real love from her husband as they sexually fantasize about being different people. This recalls that, despite the claims of women gaining equality/liberation through employment, underclass women have always worked.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

KVeezy3 posted:

The husband living in the bunker doesn’t provide labor directly to the Park family, but indirectly as part of a social class, though also through the love he shares with his wife. Parasite depicts the underclass women as highly dependable and strong, whereas the men are emasculated and lost as they fail to meet society’s standards as to what a man should be. The rich wife’s listlessness inspires no real love from her husband as they sexually fantasize about being different people. This recalls that, despite the claims of women gaining equality/liberation through employment, underclass women have always worked.
I'm no expert on the subject, but there are documented examples of what you're saying in Harlan County USA, Roger & Me, and American Factory. When survival is on the line, everyone works.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Please expand or post preferred sources if you can, I'm interested in learning more. I literally know nothing of the 3 things you've listed, and obviously not surprised how universal this concept is.

EDIT: Oh I didn't realize that you had posted actual documentaries, thank you!

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 18, 2020

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

KVeezy3 posted:

Please expand or post preferred sources if you can, I'm interested in learning more. I literally know nothing of the 3 things you've listed, and obviously not surprised how universal this concept is.

EDIT: Oh I didn't realize that you had posted actual documentaries, thank you!
Ha no sweat. I've mostly been recommending docs because I think Parasite hits the nail on the head when it comes to the real poo poo, more so than many fictional films that start with a Big Point to make and have to generate a fantasy version of reality to fit.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

KVeezy3 posted:

The husband living in the bunker doesn’t provide labor directly to the Park family, but indirectly as part of a social class, though also through the love he shares with his wife.

It’s more that, as a funny-horrific nightmare distillation of the Kims, Mr. Gook is so desperate to be exploited that he makes himself into a 24/7 motion sensor to ‘earn’ his fraction of a fraction of a housekeeper’s salary. That’s the joke of his elevating Mr. Park into a quasi-religious icon alongside Abraham Lincoln and Nelson Mandela: in ‘allowing’ Mr. Gook to work for scraps, Mr. Park has unwittingly liberated him from... even further debasement? From death, I guess?

There are a few important things going on here. First is that Mr. Gook is a sexist. As you hint at, he credits Mr. Park for providing the food actually earned through the labour of Mrs. Gook (and the labour of the programmers at the company, etc.). There’s a sort of mini-arc in how Mrs. Gook’s death finally spurs her husband to leave the basement - except that he doesn’t learn anything, and goes to his death perceiving her as simply an intermediary between himself and Mr. Park.

Of course, he’s also obviously mentally ill - but Mr. Gook’s sexism is part of how the film thankfully doesn’t romanticize poverty.

The second point is in how little Mrs. Gook actually makes. Despite the fact that she’s presumably ‘well-compensated’, and doesn’t pay rent or even buy most of her own food, she can barely afford to furnish the bunker. The Gook’s debt is so severe that they are nonetheless extremely poor. Mrs. Gook’s personal belongings, however ‘classy’ and professional-looking, fit into two small suitcases. Being fired immediately condemns her to homelessness.

And that is why reads like Ogimus’ up there are so shameful. The assertion that the Kims are ‘dressing for success’ because they have ‘middle-class aspirations’ is putting an ideological spin on the fact that both the Kims and Mrs. Gook are actually subject to extreme classist violence. They are forced to buy expensive clothes (and spend time learning English, etc.) to present as ‘middle-class’, purely to escape crushing poverty.

On an unrelated note: the reason that the “buy me drugs” scene is so humiliating to Mr. Kim is that he had sex with his wife on the same couch while, implicitly, fantasizing about being rich. That’s part of why his attitude changes even before the sewage flood.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 18, 2020

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It is true the reason they dress up is to present themselves as “worthy” of a sort. Like the whole “Make yourself presentable, dress for success in a pricy suit so you can interview well to make yourself look like you’re not a dreg of society” thing. Appearances matter and it is an investment to even give yourself a shot

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

On an unrelated note: the reason that the “buy me drugs” scene is so humiliating to Mr. Kim is that he had sex with his wife on the same couch

I'm sorry what

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AnonSpore posted:

I'm sorry what

The joke where Mrs. Kim is lying on the Parks’ couch, and then sits up to reveal Mr. Kim lying beside her.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Why do you call him Mr Gook

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The housekeeper's name is 국문광 (Gook Moon-gwang) and usually one side of a married couple takes the other's family name

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

The housekeeper's name is 국문광 (Gook Moon-gwang) and usually one side of a married couple takes the other's family name

Not in Korean culture. Traditionally, Korean women keep their family names after their marriage, but their children take the father's surname.

If you look at a married Korean woman's passport, it will list their surname as something like "Choi (wife of Kim)".

The Kim family in the movie:
Kim Ki-taek, father of the Kim family
Kim Ki-woo (Kevin), son of the Kim family
Kim Ki-jeong (Jessica), daughter of the Kim family
Park Chung-sook, mother of the Kim family

The Choi family in the movie:
Park Dong-ik, father of the Park family
Park Da-hye, daughter of the Park family
Park Da-song, son of the Park family
Choi Yeon-gyo, mother of the Park family

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 18, 2020

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lol

https://twitter.com/TheQuint/status/1226907302126505985

https://twitter.com/DesiSage/status/1227161447173541888

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Lol, loving conservatives

https://twitter.com/koryodynasty/status/1227465194017824769?s=21

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So my local art house movie theater, the Jacob Burns Film Center, has posted some Q&As with Bong Joon-ho that they recorded when he came to visit over the years. Note that these videos run between 30 to 50 minutes each.

Snowpiercer

The Host

Memories of a Murder

Mother

Also Binging with Babish just posted of video on how to make Ram-Don

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Alan Smithee posted:

Parasite shitpost: does anyone else chuckle at Geunse and think of it as Goonse

where's your ring Goonse did you pawn it for an account?

More like :goonsay:

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

It’s more that, as a funny-horrific nightmare distillation of the Kims, Mr. Gook is so desperate to be exploited that he makes himself into a 24/7 motion sensor to ‘earn’ his fraction of a fraction of a housekeeper’s salary. That’s the joke of his elevating Mr. Park into a quasi-religious icon alongside Abraham Lincoln and Nelson Mandela: in ‘allowing’ Mr. Gook to work for scraps, Mr. Park has unwittingly liberated him from... even further debasement? From death, I guess?

There are a few important things going on here. First is that Mr. Gook is a sexist. As you hint at, he credits Mr. Park for providing the food actually earned through the labour of Mrs. Gook (and the labour of the programmers at the company, etc.). There’s a sort of mini-arc in how Mrs. Gook’s death finally spurs her husband to leave the basement - except that he doesn’t learn anything, and goes to his death perceiving her as simply an intermediary between himself and Mr. Park.

Of course, he’s also obviously mentally ill - but Mr. Gook’s sexism is part of how the film thankfully doesn’t romanticize poverty.

I have a friend who worked at an Amazon warehouse while Jeff Bezos was visiting, and he remarked how everybody treated him like an actual god. This informed my initial reading of the light switch monitoring as a sanity-saving maneuver to be an active subject in the world, but the process necessarily fetishizes Park as a deity who creates his material reality. Then he prays to him in the way that people thank God over the dinner table. Though in retrospect, my take doesn’t consider why it would take this particular expression, as yours does by accounting for desire.

What you’ve written here, in addition to your previous point about how he’s presented as a fanatical North Korean, brought to my mind an article about how, in North Korea, many of the men take government jobs as they are seen as more prestigious, but actually puts them in financial debt. The women work the illegal market and end up becoming the breadwinner in the family which ends up flipping the gender dynamics on a large scale, but the sexism is still there, as the men still commit a large amount of spousal abuse.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

The comparison I’ve liked and been using:

Parasite is anti-capitalist.
Knives Out is Woke Capitalism.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

thefncrow posted:

The comparison I’ve liked and been using:

Parasite is anti-capitalist.
Knives Out is Woke Capitalism.

A weirdly common sentiment seems to be, roughly, "Capitalism sure would be great without all these capitalists running around ruining things"

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I worked as a private driver/chauffeur for a year way back when. I was extremely triggered every time Me. Kim turned his head to look back at his passenger. Doubly so when he turned his entire body.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
I meant to post this with the Knives Out comment but forgot, a really good bit of analysis of the use of English, and how that relates to what Parasite has to say about colonialism: https://tropicsofmeta.com/2020/02/17/reading-colonialism-in-parasite/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That’s brilliant. I laughed a lot at the fact that so much of Korean these days is filled with a English loan words but tying them all to capitalism is some next level stuff

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Never mind

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SolarFire2 posted:

I worked as a private driver/chauffeur for a year way back when. I was extremely triggered every time Me. Kim turned his head to look back at his passenger. Doubly so when he turned his entire body.

Yeah I was genuinely relieved when Mr. Park told him to keep his eyes on the road.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I saw this for the second time Monday. I really wish I hadn’t because now it’s getting an IMAX release.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Per the discussion a few weeks back about the indigenous imagery, here's a fun take I haven't seen fleshed out like this before: Parasite and Neo-Colonialism

https://tropicsofmeta.com/2020/02/17/reading-colonialism-in-parasite/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

An excerpt so you can get the flavor:

quote:

As Korea’s present colonizer, the United States is implicated throughout Parasite. No single character exemplifies Americanness definitively. Rather, Americanness is an aspirational status. The United States’ presence is thereby marked by its absence, which paradoxically illustrates the totalizing nature of its hegemony. This is most immediately established through the use of English.

English is the contemporary language of capital; in Parasite, it delineates class and maps power. Ki-woo and Ki-jung, the Kims’ adult children, open the film with a search for their neighbor’s “WIFI” signal from their semi-basement home. Once they connect, they check for correspondence from “Pizza Shidae,” a pizza chain that contracts the Kims for “box” assembly. When the Pizza Shidae manager discovers poorly constructed boxes, she disciplines the Kims with a “penalty” for the harm that could befall the company’s “brand image.”

Every English word in the first five minutes of Parasite establishes the Kims’ class position in South Korea’s contemporary economy. The very first, “WIFI” refers to something the family doesn’t own yet relies on for their livelihood. “Pizza” and “box” indicate the products the Kims create as irregular workers. “Penalty” and “brand image” are invoked by the boss to discipline the family’s labor. From the onset, Bong and Han deploy English to chart South Korea’s neoliberal class system from below. Nearly half of South Korea’s workforce are irregular workers[2], the result of two decades of steadfast assaults on labor stipulated by the IMF in the aftermath of the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

thefncrow posted:

I meant to post this with the Knives Out comment but forgot, a really good bit of analysis of the use of English, and how that relates to what Parasite has to say about colonialism: https://tropicsofmeta.com/2020/02/17/reading-colonialism-in-parasite/

mary had a little clam posted:

Per the discussion a few weeks back about the indigenous imagery, here's a fun take I haven't seen fleshed out like this before: Parasite and Neo-Colonialism

https://tropicsofmeta.com/2020/02/17/reading-colonialism-in-parasite/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

An excerpt so you can get the flavor:

This is probably one of the most difficult aspect to translate in an American remake (because, while it may have universal themes, it was still consciously written in a Korean context).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I just realized, would it have been that big of a deal if the Moon's sent the picture of all of the Kim's together in the basement being that the Park's weren't even aware they had a basement? They wouldn't know it was their house that they were at.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It wasn't a photo, it was a video of all four of them together, and the kids referring to their parents as mom and dad. That's a little stickier to wriggle out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

YggiDee posted:

It wasn't a photo, it was a video of all four of them together, and the kids referring to their parents as mom and dad. That's a little stickier to wriggle out of.

Oh I see. I thought it was a picture.