Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Someone pointed out a theory I found intriguing. Dahye falls in love with her tutors because she’s starved for attention. Dasong gets all the attention because of his trauma and supposed artistic genius. Mrs Park asks Mrs Kim to make ramdon/chapaguri for Dasong, who doesn’t want it. She offers it to her husband who also doesn’t want it. She ends up eating it herself without asking Dahye, who gets mad about it. Such a nice character detail.

also despite the backgrounds between her two tutors being different enough for them to percieve themselves, they're both disposable lovers to her, reacting the same way to being put into that role by her (until they escape)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah so in that moment where the son yells cut and tells the dad that his acting is too excited and he needs to bring it down, it’s an in-joke for Korean audiences who are familiar with the two actors. It’s as if Tom Holland was giving acting tips to Gary Oldman

yeah, i've loved song kang-ho for a long time and that line got a big laugh out of me. if anyone hasnt seen memories of murder yet, it's essential bong joon-ho and song kang-ho. kang-ho plays the worst piece of poo poo cop of all time but has the natural charisma to draw you to the character regardless.

ALso i enjoyed the b&w version a lot. i was more tuned into the interpersonal aspect of the movie on this viewing and was moved to tears a few times even when i wasnt in my first viewing. kang-ho really expresses so much with just his face, every injustice and tragedy is made completely relatable without heavy-handed exposition thanks to the skill of hte cast in general, but he really was stellar once again.

I got the tude now fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 2, 2020