Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One movie this actually does kinda remind me of is Dawn of the Dead- a group of people trying mostly to survive find their way into a place of prosperity and splendor, and fight savagely to hang on to it. That's mostly in the scenes where the wealthy family's still on vacation and they're all hanging out in the yard or the living room.

Also saw just a little of High and Low in there, the emphasis on the house as the symbol of wealth and the resentment it causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

RichterIX posted:

I've been operating on the assumption that the Park kid isn't even having seizures he just swoons for attention but now I can't remember why I think that other than it fits my idea of his parents babying him.

I think it’s possible he has issues but they’re being exacerbated by the parents over-worrying. Just like he probably has some talent (his drawings using the whole canvas is a thing you don’t always see with kids) but he’s not necessarily a prodigy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The film portrays the Parks as bad people, but not the villains- the villain is capitalism itself, a system which drives people to do bad things to each other in an attempt to gain "the good life".

It's nice to imagine that if we kill all the rich that'll fix everything, but as long as we still have a system where you have to get a job to earn money to get food and shelter, inequality will happen and bad things will arise because of it. Prosperity in itself is a corrupting force- the rock which was supposed to bring good fortune is more like a cursed object.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure the American version of Parasite is George Romero's Dawn of the Dead.